Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

e: worthless page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Relax Or DIE posted:

So this conversation is a bit weird but this post was flagged specifically. I hope I am interpreting correctly in that your joke here is that if you have too many of something you use trains to move it, like you might in Factorio. However, at least one person read it as 'if you have too many Mormon put them on trains, like the Holocaust' which I agree is concerning. I don't really know what to say here other than unfortunate choice of words, be mindful.

Um.. yikes. It's a Factorio thread so I was just making a Factorio joke, which was certainly not intended to be read as anything other than that. I'll just go remove it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More than anything, it was the smiley that made it sinister.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Relax Or DIE posted:

So this conversation is a bit weird but this post was flagged specifically. I hope I am interpreting correctly in that your joke here is that if you have too many of something you use trains to move it, like you might in Factorio. However, at least one person read it as 'if you have too many Mormon put them on trains, like the Holocaust' which I agree is concerning. I don't really know what to say here other than unfortunate choice of words, be mindful.

The most common cause of player death in this game is being run over by your own trains, which is what the joke was referring to.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Last time I played I played around patch .15 I exclusively used RSO because I loved the big but more spread out resource patches. So I'm real annoyed at myself because I recently started a new game using default settings instead of rail world even though I had the intention of making a megabase. I realized I hosed up right around the time I got out of the early game hell and started getting to the good part. I finally got a tank and had the firepower to take on biter, and as I adventured out past my pollution cloud, all I saw were ore patches that were just not really worth building outposts for.

I'd restart but I dislike the early game and only put up with it because retooling an early game base and getting mad at my past self for dumb decisions is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Also is FARL still a thing? Or is laying tracks still irritatingly tedious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I started a rail world map but I turned the bitter base expansion back on because I’d just come out of a game where I had the settings way too low.

But now I’m restarting the same seed with expansion off because seriously, gently caress worms setting up within spitting distance of my power station. Victory poles were cheesy, but this is beyond the pale, pun intended.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Platystemon posted:

I started a rail world map but I turned the bitter base expansion back on because I’d just come out of a game where I had the settings way too low.

But now I’m restarting the same seed with expansion off because seriously, gently caress worms setting up within spitting distance of my power station. Victory poles were cheesy, but this is beyond the pale, pun intended.

I've started playing with expansion on but with the time between expansions turned way up and distance turned down a bit, and using rail world size and rarity. This makes the early game less of a nuisance but allows them to become a much stronger force by late game. I don't care about it being difficult, I just want a reason to build defenses later on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe I could have expansion on if it’s turned way down. I want a biter problem that is manageable in the late game with artillery and pillboxes. I don’t want to have fully walled rail corridors or be forced to run 5‒12 trains so they have the momentum to kill behemoths.

There are some settings I can’t touch because I want to get the no solar and no laser turret achievements.

On a semi‐related note, why is the bazooka so much better than the tank cannon when both have explosive shells? The flamers each have their pros and cons, but the bazooka is just better. It’s weird to drive up in a loaded tank and get out to use the bazooka.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 23, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Renegret posted:

I'd restart but I dislike the early game and only put up with it because retooling an early game base and getting mad at my past self for dumb decisions is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Also is FARL still a thing? Or is laying tracks still irritatingly tedious.

If you want then you can change the resource spawning behavior on a running game by console-commanding to different map gen settings. It'll use the new behavior for any new chunks generated by the game. See wiki for command details. You can also enable RSO on a running game and it'll likewise take over resource spawning in new chunks.

FARL is still a thing if you want it to be. It's less popular now that blueprints are a thing, especially with the snap-to-grid functionality. I think most people use some combination of rail blueprints for straight sections, stations and junctions with only occasional manual track laying for navigating around obstacles and narrow bits.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Platystemon posted:

On a semi‐related note, why is the bazooka so much better than the tank cannon when both have explosive shells? The flamers each have their pros and cons, but the bazooka is just better. It’s weird to drive up in a loaded tank and get out to use the bazooka.

I don't think I've ever used the bazooka outside of nukes. I put some laser defense in, load the tank with explosive (uranium tipped asap) and go to town. Once you get a level or two into explosive damage and firing rate it's pretty much unstoppable.

Of course, not much further down the tree you can just load up on exoskeletons and shields as well and ignore the tank entirely.

But if bazooka rockets really are that much better is likely because the tanks are a LOT safer early on than running around with a rocket launcher in hand.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Until the Spidertron came out I drove around in the car with a huge number of personal lasers. I'd drive to a nest, nuke it, then drive around zapping stragglers.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I used to use spidertron with a bunch of combat robots to clear nests. Now that I have space science automated though, my artillery clears out a big enough swath to comfortably keep expanding my walls and hence my artillery range.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Took me three attempts, but finally got the 8 hour rocket achievement :toot:

I guess Factorio is the only game I've 100%'d in the past 10 years. A lot of the achievements were really fun to do because they made you try completely different ways of playing the game.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nice.

:toot:

I just got “Getting on Track Like a Pro”.

It’s easier than I thought it would be. I didn’t reload except to scout freely at the beginning and I finished with a little under half hour to go with a lot of suboptimal play.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

KillHour posted:

Now that I have space science automated though, my artillery clears out a big enough swath to comfortably keep expanding my walls and hence my artillery range.

I do that too. I'm still early on in my 1.0 mega base so I haven't broken out the artillery yet.

I heard they leave permanent craters like nukes in 1.0. Looking forward to a scorched hellscape/no mans bugs land around my base.

Travic fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 24, 2020

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Renegret posted:

I'd restart but I dislike the early game...

There's tons of quick start mods that let you skip say the burner phase, or give you a small number of bots or the like. I'm also bored with the early pre-main-bus game, and just had to remind myself I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone, just have fun and skip it if you like.

There's one mod "Quick Start Menu" that lets you pick exactly the items you want. You can use it once and then uninstall the mod.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

It also looks like the base game has some thoughts by adding some basic crash site pieces that can get you going. Including a basic generator, 2 assembly machines (purpose built for cogs and red-science - which isn't implemented, they are basic assembly machines) and a lab that only uses red-science.

I've just done a bit of modding to put them in.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Those were briefly in the .18 tutorial mission to gently introduce the player to the game. Turns out that while aesthetically they're cool as hell most people who are playing the tutorial aren't good at associating them with the actual assembler.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

True, I'm sure a little bit of aesthetic finagling could make them look more like the standard ones, and it'd be a nice start boost option

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Observe my works, ye mighty, and despair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w0v6ULtOcM

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Fixed a critical bug in Flare Stack (they weren't producing pollution :sweatdrop:)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

KillHour posted:

Observe my works, ye mighty, and despair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w0v6ULtOcM

Now send trains twice that length through and watch the carnage

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

GotLag posted:

Fixed a critical bug in Flare Stack (they weren't producing pollution :sweatdrop:)

When playing seablock/Bob's/angels my biggest gripe was the excess fluids, gasses and solids.

Sure, mud was easy enough to turn into landfill, but damnit -- why can't I just pipe liquids out into the nearest lake, or just open a pressure valve and pipe gasses into the atmosphere???

Flare stack is a godsend.

You ever want to look at a making a new mod in a similar vein... Something like 'illegal dumping'. Like an inverse offshore pump. Like those sludge pipes in cartoon supervillain captain planet villian lairs. Destroys 1000 units of whatever every tick by pumping it out into the body of water. Also pollutes a ton. No electricity required. Or gently caress it, call it a storm drain, build it on land for like 2 stone blocks and a bit of iron. Pollute the poo poo out of the land but do it in a 1x1 or 1x2 tile so I don't have to build out infrastructure to destroy things. Or give me a void chest/warehouse reskinned as a trash heap I can throw poo poo in. The more poo poo in there, the more pollution it creates.

Just something that's bothered me since the early versions, why can't I just dump poo poo wherever and speed up the destruction of the planet? It's not like the only one we've got.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fishbus posted:

It also looks like the base game has some thoughts by adding some basic crash site pieces that can get you going. Including a basic generator, 2 assembly machines (purpose built for cogs and red-science - which isn't implemented, they are basic assembly machines) and a lab that only uses red-science.

I've just done a bit of modding to put them in.

Could you share your mod?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I want to try to set up something akin to Just-In-Time, but obviously doing that with Factorio circuits would be a pain in the rear end, so it's just gonna be something similar. I figured the easiest way to do it would be with trains, having input train stations request resources when they hit a certain buffer threshold.

Now my thinking is that I can have trains for each possible line that I could want, and then stick them behind signals that would turn green only when the input station requests that particular resource, but that's not as flexible as I want it to be. Is it possible to somehow set a dynamic time table for a train, so I could have a set of non-specific trains in a pool that would run between two stations determined by the circuit network?

Also, is it possible to somehow have chests output rate of depletion on top of total value, or do I have to set up a bunch of logic gates and a clock to achieve that?

Joda fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 25, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are two mods that make what you want relatively painless, Logistics Train Network and Train Supply Manager.

People have come up with various circuit contraptions to try to get behaviour in the base game, but it’s a hard problem. Train schedules cannot be modified dynamically. Trains have to be massaged into doing what we want with circuit control of stations and signals.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

corgski posted:

Now send trains twice that length through and watch the carnage

It was designed specifically for those trains and it still took me several iterations (including several after this) to stop all the deadlocks while keeping good throughput.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Joda posted:

I want to try to set up something akin to Just-In-Time, but obviously doing that with Factorio circuits would be a pain in the rear end, so it's just gonna be something similar. I figured the easiest way to do it would be with trains, having input train stations request resources when they hit a certain buffer threshold.

Now my thinking is that I can have trains for each possible line that I could want, and then stick them behind signals that would turn green only when the input station requests that particular resource, but that's not as flexible as I want it to be. Is it possible to somehow set a dynamic time table for a train, so I could have a set of non-specific trains in a pool that would run between two stations determined by the circuit network?

Also, is it possible to somehow have chests output rate of depletion on top of total value, or do I have to set up a bunch of logic gates and a clock to achieve that?

This is basically exactly how TSM works, I'd look at that first.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

Could you share your mod?

It's currently smushed up with a tonne of other stuff within the mod I'm making. I'll see if I can break it out at some point this weekend.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

KillHour posted:

It was designed specifically for those trains and it still took me several iterations (including several after this) to stop all the deadlocks while keeping good throughput.

Fun fact: trains don't stop if they're blocking their own path out of the intersection.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Fishbus posted:

It's currently smushed up with a tonne of other stuff within the mod I'm making. I'll see if I can break it out at some point this weekend.

There's one up on the portal already that adds them:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Extended_Crashsite

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

corgski posted:

Fun fact: trains don't stop if they're blocking their own path out of the intersection.

They used to and it was a problem.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Either way it’s a problem but the no brakes choice at least means more explosions.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Someone please remind me; when piping liquids over long distances, how often are pumps needed to maintain flow?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
https://wiki.factorio.com/Fluid_system

TLDR is that while maxing out pipes is essentially impossible, getting 1k/s is easy with a pump every 200 pipe. If that sounds inconvenient or you need more than that, you should just be using trains.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Someone please remind me; when piping liquids over long distances, how often are pumps needed to maintain flow?

Less often than you think. You can reach multiple rockets per minute while using zero pumps outside of train stops.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thanks. I'm still kinda setting up my big base, and things are in flux. So while I need lubricant and petro for now, I don't want to start training them around yet, since I don't yet know where the stations will be needed. And besides, between my train network and the area between the factory and my refinery, it's actually easier/shorter to pipe the fluids for now.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

There's one up on the portal already that adds them:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Extended_Crashsite

Phew, that's good, it saves me from having to split it out.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

GotLag posted:

And they dont seem to be working with Krastorio 2, theyll take in fluids but not burn them. And I had just checked them about half an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Communist Zombie posted:

And they dont seem to be working with Krastorio 2, theyll take in fluids but not burn them. And I had just checked them about half an hour ago.

K2 already has flare stacks (fluid burners), and they produce pollution. Not sure how they compare stats-wise with GotLag's mod, though.