Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

XkyRauh posted:

Are you guys using TSM in multiplayer, or only single? I ask because we managed to crash the game twice in multiplayer with TSM, and that's (one reason) why we gave up on trying it and stuck with LTN.

I only play single player, so can't help.

In addition to what XkyRauh said about contacting the author through the mod page, he is also extremely active on JD-Plays Discord. If you would like the link to that let me know and I'll send it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

The Locator posted:

I only play single player, so can't help.

In addition to what XkyRauh said about contacting the author through the mod page, he is also extremely active on JD-Plays Discord. If you would like the link to that let me know and I'll send it to you.

Sure! Please DM me the Discord info. Maybe I can convince my bud to give it a third try.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

XkyRauh posted:

Sure! Please DM me the Discord info. Maybe I can convince my bud to give it a third try.

Done.

For anyone else that might be interested, JD-Plays Youtube channel 'About' page has the link to the Discord server.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

RabbitWizard posted:

This is the nicest looking thing I made so far in this game :neckbeard:

So are those wiggles... for fun or... what...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Teledahn posted:

So are those wiggles... for fun or... what...

I *think* that those are really funny looking stackers.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Yes, a stacker for 10 trains to the left and 10 to the right. Assuming 10 trains in the stacker, one getting loaded and 1 driving around, my 12 lane depots are a good match.

Btw, is there a mod making you immune to trains? I've been killed at least 10 times, those small trains with nuclear fuel are really dangerous.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a train on a line. The train has 3 cargo cars and 2 locomotives (1 on each end of the train).

The line has 3 stops.

Left stop, middle stop, right stop.

Going left to right and stopping at each stop is fine.

Going right to left works for the right stop and the left stop, but the middle stop "No path".

Ok, so I think it means that the left locomotive needs it's own stop for the middle bit of the line (on the other side of the stop that already exists that works fine for the right locomotive when the train is going left to right), fine, ok, I make another stop.

When I make this stop, it doesn't exactly line up with where my unloading boxes and inserters are, it's 1 square off. I don't understand why I can't place it exactly. It's very frustrating and ends up making the train only use 5 inserters out of 6 when the train is going right to left. Why?

What is the solution?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
General question re modules: Is there a rule-of-thumb about when to use them vs. just adding more production e.g., another assembly machine to the array? Put differently, do they exist as a quick fix for production bottlenecks or are they something to use systematically (and if so, what combo of modules is normal)?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

gaj70 posted:

General question re modules: Is there a rule-of-thumb about when to use them vs. just adding more production e.g., another assembly machine to the array? Put differently, do they exist as a quick fix for production bottlenecks or are they something to use systematically (and if so, what combo of modules is normal)?

Remember that there are 3 modules:
Productivity makes bonus product for no additional resources. It slows production cycles and increases power draw.
Speed makes the machine produce faster. It drastically increases power draw.
Efficiency makes the machine use less power (and effectively lowers pollution). It is expensive to produce, and precludes using the other two modules.

Productivity modules are amazing, particularly with extremely expensive components. Speed/efficiency modules are used usually to counter the drawbacks of productivity modules in late game setups. I'll use productivity modules in early rocket part production, though, as they're so dramatically expensive relative to virtually anything else. Also consider that more efficient machines mean you don't need as much space, which means you can have a simpler logistic environment.

So like everything else in Factorio, it depends, but it's probably used heavily in late game. :v:

ed: Production 3 module in a furnace means that for every 10 iron ore that furnace processes, you get 11 plates. Similarly, for every 10 blue circuits you produce, you'd get 11 out. Add in beacons for things like rocket parts, and you can see the value in requiring fewer raw resources. Speed+productivity modules also make oil wells produce at nominal levels for longer!

Synastren fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 29, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Generally speaking, productivity modules make up for a lack of resources, speed modules make up for a lack of factory buildings, and efficiency modules make up for a lack of power. Module up your factories according to whichever of these you find hardest to improve through construction. In most cases it'll be a mix of productivity and speed.

Keep in mind though that when that productivity module is in the high end of a production chain (like processing units or rocket parts) the "resources" it's saving you required a lot of factory buildings and power to make in the first place, so that's a good all-round saving. There are complexities.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 29, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Speed modules are the easiest to reason about, because you can more-or-less compare the cost of the module to the cost of building out more copies of that production structure. (Speed modules in a naked assembler? Almost never worth it, unless you're really cramped for space. Speed modules in an assembler with expensive productivity modules? Now we're talking.)

Efficiency modules give you something for nothing (well, for the initial cost invested in building the module), by reducing the power consumption of buildings (and thus the amount of fuel your base needs). Slapping low-tier versions in your early electric furnace stacks can really stretch out how long you can keep going before needing to scale up power. High-tier versions are only useful when combined with other modules, and are generally too expensive in that regard compared to just building out more power.

Productivity modules turn electricity (and assembler time) into free materials. They're way more effective on high-tier items (where each bonus item represents a large quantity of raw materials) than on low-tier ones at the start of processing chains. They're the preferred module type for megabases (where power is free and the logistics of funneling the sheer quantity of raw materials your factory demands into its gaping maw is a significant challenge), but they're also handy to put on things like processing units, top-tier beakers, and rocket parts (and the rocket silo itself!) in a more normal game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

gaj70 posted:

If you don't know where to put modules, a good place to start is by putting productivity in your science labs. Science bottles are expensive so it'll save you a lot of resources.

The next thing I like to do is put productivity modules in my module production chain, starting with end products and then working backwards. I usually balance prod and speed modules to keep the rate of production about the same but still benefit from the free output. You can balance either in the assemblers directly, or by putting beacons down nearby and filling the beacons with speed modules.

Oil is a weird outlier when it comes to modules. Because they output an amount per second, you always want speed modules in them. Speed modules increase output more than productivity modules would because they improve the rate directly.

After that, where you want to put them is good, but remember that you get a lot more benefit from putting production modules in end product assemblers than furnaces.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Steakandchips posted:

What is the solution?

Screenshot this. Trains operate on a 2x2 universal grid. Assuming everything is lined up for the "other-handed" station, what you're talking about is not even supposed to be possible.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think you need an even count ( such as 1-4-1) for it to line up both ways.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I tested it, you need an odd count for it to line up both ways, since you have (total locomotives + cars - 1) 1-block gaps in your train. That's what he says he's running. Either he's wrong about it being 1-3-1 or he's managed to do something impressive that I can't think of.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RabbitWizard posted:

Btw, is there a mod making you immune to trains? I've been killed at least 10 times, those small trains with nuclear fuel are really dangerous.

I can highly recommend using spidertrons while moving around at all times. They can't be hit by trains and you can run over your own buildings so you can build easily. It also let's you use nothing but roboports or pld's in your own armor(apart from the power of course) and leave the exoskeletons to the spider.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Freaksaus posted:

I can highly recommend using spidertrons while moving around at all times. They can't be hit by trains and you can run over your own buildings so you can build easily. It also let's you use nothing but roboports or pld's in your own armor(apart from the power of course) and leave the exoskeletons to the spider.

Sadly, spiderboy can only hold 3 exo's with a nuclear power plant.. so slower than a well built suit of power armor.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

K8.0 posted:

I tested it, you need an odd count for it to line up both ways, since you have (total locomotives + cars - 1) 1-block gaps in your train. That's what he says he's running. Either he's wrong about it being 1-3-1 or he's managed to do something impressive that I can't think of.

Chances are he's got the stops too close together, or he's only got the middle stop set up on one side instead of two.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a feeling I counted the number of carriages wrong. Will check shortly.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
There's also some funky math where Productivity modules make an assembler less energy efficient, and Speed modules make an assembler less energy efficient, but combining them makes it MORE efficient. I've seen a lot of late-game setups where virtually everything that can have it has Prod3 x 3 and then everything is surrounded by Speed3 x 2 beacons.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Super Rad posted:

There's also some funky math where Productivity modules make an assembler less energy efficient, and Speed modules make an assembler less energy efficient, but combining them makes it MORE efficient. I've seen a lot of late-game setups where virtually everything that can have it has Prod3 x 3 and then everything is surrounded by Speed3 x 2 beacons.

When I do that I'm either basically victory lapping or trying to keep the total area of my base down to something that's tolerable to traverse.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LLSix posted:

When I do that I'm either basically victory lapping or trying to keep the total area of my base down to something that's tolerable to traverse.

Once the primary base is done and I'm cruising along making 240'ish science per minute with regular rocket launches I scale up module production (basically all excess goes to make modules) and then I start on making remote locations to support 1000spm science outposts and removing the original ones as the new ones come in by train. At that point pretty much everything is max modules and beacons on every outpost.

Instead of 24 furnaces for a red lane of plates, 11 furnaces for a blue belt of plates consuming 38 iron ore per second. It gets weird when you do steel though, because you can support the 11 steel furnaces with only 9 iron furnaces. I really should have redone my steel design instead of just pulling the two iron furnaces, and instead increasing the steel furnaces, but it would reduce the amount of beacon sharing and I'm lazy.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

gaj70 posted:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?t=5705 Generally I use this as a guideline.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Freaksaus posted:

Good idea! I'll have to check if it works with run speed toggle, I can't go back to normal speed while going somewhere. Exos just aren't enough (also I need my bots).

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I see that Satisfactory is on sale on Steam. I know it doesn't scratch the same itch as Factorio, but is it still fun or do you just get frustrated that stuff doesn't work like in Factorio or Factorio does it better?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I see that Satisfactory is on sale on Steam. I know it doesn't scratch the same itch as Factorio, but is it still fun or do you just get frustrated that stuff doesn't work like in Factorio or Factorio does it better?

It's very much a fun game. The main thing to be wary of is that you don't want to have the same strategy approach as Factorio - it's not based around Always Build More. The map is hand-crafted, there are finite resource nodes (that produce infinitely), there aren't a lot of mechanisms to speed up building large arrays of machines and the game expects you to leave your factory chugging along while you go explore the world looking for collectables.

In return you get a beautiful world with a lot of fun options for traversal (with vacuum tubes, jet packs, jump pads, and so on) and production on a scale that rewards figuring out the correct ratio of buildings to make the most efficient use of resources for your end products, rather than simply constant expansion. This is further enhanced by being able to unlock alternate recipes for nearly every item in the game.

The Early Access elements still show - the tech tree ends abruptly, two of the four collectable types don't do anything, and there's still some janky gameplay when it comes to building a lot at once. But even as it stands I would happily say it's worth the money and will easily give you 30+ hours of gameplay.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the recommendation! You sold me on it, and I'll pick it up now.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Just started a sea block basic run yesterday

It's so much more relaxing than the full seablock.

Just got yellow and purple sciences almost complete. Fun!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

For Productivity modules, the Factorio Cheat Sheet lists how long each item takes to reach 'pay off' in terms of resources invested in the modules vs. bonus output.

https://factoriocheatsheet.com/#productivity-module-payoffs

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-362

Very nice QoL updates in the latest FFF

Spidertron fixes, improvements to ghost placement.

they are fixing the auto placement of power poles when running to not break when you meet up with a power pole coming in the opposite direction

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Squibbles posted:

they are fixing the auto placement of power poles when running to not break when you meet up with a power pole coming in the opposite direction

Every single one of these QoL improvements makes me very happy! Some very long outstanding issues are finally being fixed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Squibbles posted:

The fix to 'E' and exiting without clicking the checkmark in the logistics window is like the icing on top of some great stuff here.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

LordAdakos posted:

Just started a sea block basic run yesterday

It's so much more relaxing than the full seablock.

Just got yellow and purple sciences almost complete. Fun!

I don't get why you would want to play Seablock if you're not looking on the complexity of it as a positive. Why cut down on the whole point of the mod? (I'm genuinely curious, as someone who has spent literally hundreds of hours designing interdependent Seablock production lines using Helmod.)

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Does anyone like building stupid big 12 beacon stuff? Working on a 21.6K SPM (mostly) vanilla (using some QoL, TSM, and Editor Extensions for creative mode). May put the save up as a multiplayer game, so far I have the steel & iron/copper smelter designs done, a preliminary LDS, & rocket fuel. Currently working on space science first, which is a giant red circuit build, blue circuits & speed 1s for RCUs and somehow wire up 28 or 30 silos to be going nonstop!

https://factoriolab.github.io/list#...E0xm1tI7A3LfmnY

For a size/scale reference of the smelter needed....the train stations are for 2-12-2 trains. The copper section will be nearly twice as long as the iron one. So right now I'm working on the production blocks, once I have them basically designed the hard part is connecting them all in a manner that makes sense and looks neat.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
mojod is working on an 8kspm base at the moment, you can go look through his vods for designs. I don't see how you're gonna get 20k+ without tanking your ups though.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
Yes, Mojo has some good stuff. I did an 18K Factorio Extended belt base that got 40-50 UPS on my laptop so I think it will run ok. That base used chest and/or belt stubs, but belts and inserters work a lot better now, so I've been able to make production blocks that don't use splitters or large balancers at all, drastically reduced the number of inserters, and use direct insertion wherever possible.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Squibbles posted:

oh my god the frustrated mouse pointer shake :laffo:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! You sold me on it, and I'll pick it up now.

Yeah, the Satisfactory devs have repeatedly said that there won't be "blueprint" like actions in Satisfactory like ever, so the core gameplay loop is a bit different, but it's still enjoyable in it's own right. They did really well to nail the 3-d factory builder. Just do not expect anywhere near as much finely honed polish as Factorio. Also has it's own thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884092

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any ETA on when 1.1 comes out?