Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I immediately go for 1 pump - 20 boilers - 40 steam engines because that's the correct ratio and usually enough to not think about power until I can get nuclear going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I installed Big Brother into my existing game and researched up all the radar ranges then ran out and plopped down the radars to expand my view area.

Hmm... maybe ignorance was bliss. I seem to have an infestation problem... lol.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

The Locator posted:

I installed Big Brother into my existing game and researched up all the radar ranges then ran out and plopped down the radars to expand my view area.

Hmm... maybe ignorance was bliss. I seem to have an infestation problem... lol.

Ignorance is indeed bliss. Factorio only generates new chunks* as needed and maintains a generated border about 3 chunks thick outside of the visible explored area to ensure that player exploration is never hampered by the need to generate new map chunks on the fly**. Because of this, it is impossible to stop all attacks by preemptively eliminating all biters and nests from the generated area - the 3-chunk wide border area** will naturally contain biters and their nests, and the biters will expand normally, both around the border and into the visible area. Even if the player eliminates all visible nests and proceeds to investigate where the biters keep coming from, exploring the border area to eliminate the hidden biters that exist there simply pushes back the border and causes more of the map to be generated, invisible to the player until they explore those chunks which causes the border to expand around those areas, and so forth.

In the vanilla game, without console commands, there is no way to eliminate the biters hiding in the "invisible" border without exploring the chunks - artillery turrets/wagons can, with sufficient range, fire into the unexplored "border" chunks but will explore them as a consequence of firing into them, causing more map tiles to be generated further away.

* A chunk is a section of map 32x32 tiles large

**The game will, under some conditions, pre-generate additional chunks beyond the 3-tile border as needed - for example, if pollution would spill out into a chunk that hasn't been generated yet, the game will generate that chunk to properly account for the effects of the pollution.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Olesh posted:

Ignorance is indeed bliss. Factorio only generates new chunks*

Yup.. The reason for this is that I did a lot more expansion than I needed quite early in this game and set up static defenses that I've maintained, so my map hasn't opened up at all in many many hours of game time, and I'm guessing the evolution was around 50-60% when I did my last expansion, whereas now the evolution is over 97%. So when I extended my radar range with Big Brother, a bunch of new chunks were generated, and all those chunks are basically wall to wall biter carpet with the vast majority of biters being behemoth or armored behemoth types (armored biter mod).

I just thought it was funny and thought I'd share the great red sea.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Seems like a situation which is just crying out for a nuclear-artillery-shell rapid-delivery service.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

LonsomeSon posted:

Seems like a situation which is just crying out for a nuclear-artillery-shell rapid-delivery service.

You can theoretically infinitely push out the borders passively by upgrading artillery range - each range upgrade makes your artillery turrets/wagons passively fire an additional two chunks further. If you do this long enough, the game will lag hilariously the moment your research completes as all your artillery suddenly detects thousands or tens of thousands of new targets and have to decide who to shoot at. Last time I did it, the biter AI just broke as retaliation parties would simply give up and stop moving halfway to their destination, leaving periodic ambushes I'd stumble into hours later setting up a new train route to a resource.

Edit: also, for fun, eventually you can use manual targeting to generate ludicrously large chunks of the map, at the cost of massively increasing your ram burden every time you do this.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Clearly it is an appropriate time to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwUq2XD9Cw

(Their other videos have blueprints and how they load it with bots without overloading/unbalancing)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Olesh posted:

You can theoretically infinitely push out the borders passively by upgrading artillery range - each range upgrade makes your artillery turrets/wagons passively fire an additional two chunks further. If you do this long enough, the game will lag hilariously the moment your research completes as all your artillery suddenly detects thousands or tens of thousands of new targets and have to decide who to shoot at. Last time I did it, the biter AI just broke as retaliation parties would simply give up and stop moving halfway to their destination, leaving periodic ambushes I'd stumble into hours later setting up a new train route to a resource.

Edit: also, for fun, eventually you can use manual targeting to generate ludicrously large chunks of the map, at the cost of massively increasing your ram burden every time you do this.

I've done that! In this game I'm only using nuclear artillery when I actually want to expand. I don't have any permanent artillery set up, I simply move 4 artillery pieces to whatever wall I want to expand from and plop them down around a single box where I dump all the green shells, and then I manually target the area I want to clear, then go out in a spidertron thing to perform cleanup after I'm done with the nukes.

But yeah, the first time I had a huge base with artillery all the way around the perimeter supplied with ammo from a belt and I started researching artillery range.. oh man did it bring my poor PC to it's knees for a while every time I got a new range upgrade.

LonsomeSon posted:

This is my clearing system, I just do it manually with 4 guns and a remote.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm confused by fluid dynamics in this game, or more specifically how to visually read them.

These pipes near the output tank keep flickering their petroleum icon on and off. There's never more than ~1-2 petroleum in each pipe segment at a time (the oil refineries it's coming out of are using creative mode production modules, so there's around 800/sec being produced).

There's a pump at the end of the pipe pumping into the tank, and a pump at each refinery's output.

I think this is just because the pump at the end of the pipeline is pumping it into the tank too fast for the fluids to ever really register as being in the pipe, is that right? The whole pipeline is around 100 tiles long so the flow rate should be a little over 1k/sec.

I understand the throughput-between-pumps chart on the wiki and I think I understand the actual fluid flow dynamics, but I'm confused by how to quickly determine whether a pipeline is being bottlenecked by something at a glance if when it's working (seemingly) correctly I see things like flickering fluid icons which scream at my brain that the pipe isn't getting enough.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 24, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm confused by fluid dynamics in this game, or more specifically how to visually read them.

These pipes near the output tank keep flickering their petroleum icon on and off. There's never more than ~1-2 petroleum in each pipe segment at a time (the oil refineries it's coming out of are using creative mode production modules, so there's around 800/sec being produced).

There's a pump at the end of the pipe pumping into the tank, and a pump at each refinery's output.

I think this is just because the pump at the end of the pipeline is pumping it into the tank too fast for the fluids to ever really register as being in the pipe, is that right? The whole pipeline is around 100 tiles long so the flow rate should be a little over 1k/sec.

I understand the throughput-between-pumps chart on the wiki and I think I understand the actual fluid flow dynamics, but I'm confused by how to quickly determine whether a pipeline is being bottlenecked by something at a glance if when it's working (seemingly) correctly I see things like flickering fluid icons which scream at my brain that the pipe isn't getting enough.

I believe the tank will fill before the pipes do, yes - someone else can correct me if I'm wrong though.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, checking the pump is the easiest. If it's running constantly while filling your good, but if it flickers you are not.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
I believe fluid systems tend to fill each element to the same % of its capacity if there are no pumps or serious distance fall-offs involved.

That looks like one of those huge mod tanks and I'm not sure of the capacity, but let's say 100k for example. So the system has about 110k of capacity, including the 100 pipes. If 1k of fluid enters, it'll tend toward filling everything to a little less than 1%, which should cause the flickering you noticed as the fluids slosh around. And then the pump does its thing.

I'd keep an eye on the tank contents and the refinery outputs to get an idea of where bottlenecks might be. If the tank is filling up, great. If the refineries are producing and their products are getting piped away, great.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's this. IIRC the new fluid model treats segments of pipe together and as a side effect a fully flowing pipe will tend to blink between 0 and a tiny amount of fluid.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thank you! That explains a lot because yeah, that's a Krastorio 2 tank with 200k capacity and it was maybe 40% filled at that time. I've been overcomplicating things and assumed there was physical fluid that needed to move consecutively down the pipeline to the exit rather than just a constant beginning-to-end flow

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Also the long stretches of above ground pipe bother me more than it probably should, but I assume krastorio has some special pipes with larger throughput or something.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Is there a mod that allows for a "filter underground"? So that I can have 2 item types on my belt, but only one is allowed underground?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

boo_radley posted:

Is there a mod that allows for a "filter underground"? So that I can have 2 item types on my belt, but only one is allowed underground?

Is there a reason you can't use a splitter with a filter for one item or the other, then put an underground entrance right after it?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Also the long stretches of above ground pipe bother me more than it probably should, but I assume krastorio has some special pipes with larger throughput or something.

Krastorio 2 has some 'steel' pipes that I've never actually bothered to make or use. K2 also changes the reach of undergrounds so that you need far fewer for long distance runs. K2 also suggests a couple of mods made by the same guys that are all about bigger pipes, but I never have seen a need for those either, I just make more regular pipes because I'm lazy I guess.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

boo_radley posted:

Where would the other items go? Unless you're thinking about something that would effectively be a vertical splitter, which would be pretty cool actually.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

boo_radley posted:

If the items are dedicated to one side and not mixed together you can side load onto an underground to only take one side of the belt.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The Locator posted:

Krastorio 2 has some 'steel' pipes that I've never actually bothered to make or use. K2 also changes the reach of undergrounds so that you need far fewer for long distance runs. K2 also suggests a couple of mods made by the same guys that are all about bigger pipes, but I never have seen a need for those either, I just make more regular pipes because I'm lazy I guess.

Steel pipes own. They have about twice the throughput of normal pipes, with a much stronger pump.

The large pipes mod "fluid must flow" is finicky and a little annoying to use, but it helps a lot with really high-throughput areas. With a well-constructed pipeline you can get about 18000/s through one over medium distances. They're not strictly necessary (parallel pipes can do the same thing), but they make large builds a little less messy once you get comfortable using them. I've got a K2 megabase I'm gonna post some screenshots of soon that makes pretty heavy use of them in a few places.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I fixed the coal problem! :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

I fixed the coal problem! :v:

What's that yellow stuff? This one of those crazy complicated mods with a hundred different ore types?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Finally ran into a problem that was only solvable by learning a bit of circuitry; using a barrel bus for liquids in my current Krastorio game, without some circuit brains the empty barrel return cycle was getting clogged up with newly minted barrels.

Now I'm trying to invent previously nonexistent problems just to flex my new love of wiring

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just started watching Day9's playthrough of Factorio, and on the same day, cool goon StrixNebulosa did the cool goon thing and gifted me a copy of the game. What are some good beginner guides? The OP hasn't been updated in nearly 5 years, I wager things have changed a good bit in the interim. I've started in on the tutorials and I think I've got a decent beginning grasp of things after a couple of them, though I'm definitely going to need to work to get used to hotkeying stuff.

edit: I love hopping into a megathread and seeing a post like

Chadzok posted:

Finally ran into a problem that was only solvable by learning a bit of circuitry; using a barrel bus for liquids in my current Krastorio game, without some circuit brains the empty barrel return cycle was getting clogged up with newly minted barrels.

Now I'm trying to invent previously nonexistent problems just to flex my new love of wiring
and it just being loving nonsense garbage to me as a mere factorio pleb lol

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Some fun exercises, some of which are arguably useful:

-Steam plant backup power that ramps up as a function of accumulator charge
-Keep the input chests of a train loading station balanced.
-Keep a set of tanks with the same amount of fluid in each at a fluid loading station.
-Balance lube/solid fuel/cracking, ensuring a sufficient buffer of lube and solid fuel.
-Load the locomotives at your depot with mixed fuel from a belt loop. Keep a constant amount of energy value on the belt. (This one was incredibly fun to design, and especially satisfying once it worked.)
-Lamp displays for showing fluid levels, logistics demands, accumulator charge. Bonus points for using colors.
-Digit displays!
-Train crossings that raise gates when a train is about to pass. Bonus points for not trapping a player on the tracks if they cross at the wrong time.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Roflex posted:

-Train crossings that raise gates when a train is about to pass. Bonus points for not trapping a player on the tracks if they cross at the wrong time.

Double bonus points for doing that on purpose and using it in multiplayer.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Roflex posted:

-Load the locomotives at your depot with mixed fuel from a belt loop. Keep a constant amount of energy value on the belt. (This one was incredibly fun to design, and especially satisfying once it worked.)

Sure.. yeah.. the locomotives at my depot..

*spends the next 6 hours rebuilding his entire train network*

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Captain Invictus posted:

I just started watching Day9's playthrough of Factorio, and on the same day, cool goon StrixNebulosa did the cool goon thing and gifted me a copy of the game. What are some good beginner guides? The OP hasn't been updated in nearly 5 years, I wager things have changed a good bit in the interim. I've started in on the tutorials and I think I've got a decent beginning grasp of things after a couple of them, though I'm definitely going to need to work to get used to hotkeying stuff.

You only get once chance to play blind, don't go looking for optimal solutions and the 'best' way to do things until you have taken a good shot at it.
Press Alt to display more information about what machines are doing.
Give yourself plenty of space to expand without running into other things you built.
One thing that trips up a lot of people is that a machine won't keep producing if its output isn't being emptied. If you have a machine making gears and being unloaded onto a backed up conveyor it will stop making more gears after a couple of cycles. But as soon as there's room on the conveyor the machine will pick right back up.
Trees will absorb some pollution so they can be an important buffer to reduce angry biters in the early game. But you can't build on trees so they will eventually become the enemy.
Give yourself way more space than you think. You will build many more of everything than you expect.

We love pictures of new player bases.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LtSmash posted:

Rebind this to the right Alt key instead of the default left Alt key so you don't have to turn it back on every time you alt-tab. (Assuming you alt-tab using the left Alt key, like most people do.)

LtSmash posted:

:yeah:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

The Locator posted:

What's that yellow stuff? This one of those crazy complicated mods with a hundred different ore types?

Top right is Lead from Bob's Ores, top left is F7/Nuatreel from Yuoki Industries.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Solumin posted:

Rebind this to the right Alt key instead of the default left Alt key so you don't have to turn it back on every time you alt-tab.

you are a genius thank you

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Chadzok posted:

Sure.. yeah.. the locomotives at my depot..

*spends the next 6 hours rebuilding his entire train network*

Global wiring systems come with their own set of fun. I should note I've only listed the things I've attempted and managed to succeed at. Notably absent from the list was "implement a sort of DHCP system to allow arbitrary nodes to communicate over shared wires".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Locator posted:

This one of those crazy complicated mods with a hundred different ore types?

I posted my modlist a few pages back, and suffice it to say: yes. It's BobsAngels mixed with Yuoki mixed with like three separate other modpacks for maximum nuttiness. I've never used the search inventory / crafting menu so much before, and FNEI/Factory Planner are basically required to figure out how to make anything. It is weirdly delightful because it's purestrain making one item at a time - I literally cannot get into the mode of trying to actually design my base because there's just too much, and that helps my focus stay tight and non-stressed. I am making flight frames, which require lithium, which requires like five steps to take lithium ore into something useable, and I am doing nothing else until this is solved. Then for fun I zoom out and look at my giant sprawling spaghetti belt hell base and enjoy the progress.

LtSmash posted:

You only get once chance to play blind, don't go looking for optimal solutions and the 'best' way to do things until you have taken a good shot at it.
Give yourself plenty of space to expand without running into other things you built.
One thing that trips up a lot of people is that a machine won't keep producing if its output isn't being emptied. If you have a machine making gears and being unloaded onto a backed up conveyor it will stop making more gears after a couple of cycles. But as soon as there's room on the conveyor the machine will pick right back up.
Trees will absorb some pollution so they can be an important buffer to reduce angry biters in the early game. But you can't build on trees so they will eventually become the enemy.
Give yourself way more space than you think. You will build many more of everything than you expect.

To repeat what I said in steam chat to Invictus: I told 'em to turn off biters or put them on peaceful mode this early on, as they're a way to reach a deathstate if you really gently caress up, and Invictus' stated goal was to destress. Biters are fun to build around, but save them for a second playthrough. This also means they don't have to think about automating turrets or building walls around their entire base, and it also makes playing with trains easier/more fun.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Captain Invictus posted:

beginner guides
I personally can't stand video tutorials because i'm impatient and a fast reader, but if they're your bag, Nilaus and KatherineOfSky are two popular youtube channels that have pretty good, fairly recent beginner guides. But i'd mostly echo what other people have said about going in blind being a one-time, enjoyable opportunity unless you're really excited about getting to making enormous factory-worlds or bug murder engines. I can't remember what the tutorial covers now since i only tried it once a while ago, but:

The pipette tool on Q, and copy/cut/paste with ctrl C/X/V is extremely useful, especially later, so don't miss it.
Start automating something if you're going to use it often - it's way easier to continue when you don't have to hand-craft assemblers or inserters all the time.
Similarly, don't worry about making something perfect if it works - you can always do other stuff while 'good enough' works slowly and come back never later.
You can limit the capacity of chests by clicking the red X at the end of their inventory, so you don't waste resources filling certain chests.
The information is practically all there in the UI when it comes to production numbers, power etc - you can figure out the amount of things required per second/minute and the output of a machine, which can be helpful to figure out your production capacity.

And of course

You will always need more iron, copper, and space than you think :v:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Wallrod posted:

You will always need more iron, copper, and space than you think :v:

I will asterisk this with you will think your copper is sufficient until at a certain point in the progression it suddenly extremely isn't.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My 2 tips for new players:

1) Make very liberal use of ctrl-c and ctrl-v to copy/paste. Instead of building a line of 20 smelters with one input and one output sorter each, plus the belt lines, make just one smelter with all of those things and then copy/paste it 4 times, then copy/paste that group of 5 smelters 3 more times.
This doesn't work unless you have personal roboports/construction robots. There are a ton of mods that start you with a weak roboport and a few construction bots and I recommend using one, I couldn't imagine playing without them myself, they are an enormous quality of life improvement.

2) There's a lazy method of playing which basically involves being the train yourself, automate production but not transport - like, build a bunch of smelters and just have them all dump into a little metal chest next to the smelter line, then run by every once in a while, ctrl+click the box, then go to wherever you need the iron and move it straight from your inventory into the assemblers, and make the assemblers all dump into a little box that you can loot later. You definitely don't want to do this long-term but it's very handy in the early game to just go plop down a bunch of smelters and miners on a remote metal patch that you can return to later, or get some early iron gear/copper wire production going in your main base before you have the time to build an actual production line. I was really holding myself back by trying to automate every little thing on small-scale production lines early on, this method lets you jumpstart your early production and have plenty of resources to more quickly get to the point where you can build large-scale production lines.

I do this all the way up until Electric Smelting sometimes because I'm too lazy to set up two different resources feeding from belts into smelters :blush:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 25, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thinking about redesigning my circuit factories. Again. They're densely packed for the sake of efficient beaconing, but "efficient layouts" that are still dense enough to catch all the beacons properly have been posing the problem that inserters unloading end-on are too dumb to unload to the other lane if one ends up full. Material supplies back up while I can't even use more than half a belt, unless I switch the lanes of every outbound product halfway through a block (which still caps expansion possibilities). Plus inserters preferring to pull from one supply side fucks with my balanced train unloaders.
I'm on my third or fourth iteration of red circuit factories and even more of green circuits. (Blue circuits are easy, I can never even get half a blue belt there so I'm either doing something really wrong or really right...)
What are your designs looking like, folks? Thinking on improvements. Space is never really a constraint but I'm a dumbass and build dense anyway.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Roflex posted:

Global wiring systems come with their own set of fun. I should note I've only listed the things I've attempted and managed to succeed at. Notably absent from the list was "implement a sort of DHCP system to allow arbitrary nodes to communicate over shared wires".

The best name spacing scheme i've managed to come up is to use a combination of symbol and dividing by the value 10000. I think maybe you could use the green bus to broadcast a destination address on the same tick that you send data on the red bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

SkyeAuroline posted:

What are your designs looking like, folks?

Copper up the middle lane, separate plastic and greens on the 2 belts going left and outputting to the very edge belts, with them merging at the end to make a full blue belt. I couldn't tell you exactly how many rows it needs because i've moved to bot factories in my current game. edit: this doesn't exactly match the picture, but it's basically the same thing in the same space :v:

I find that long inserters sometimes 'dither' when they're trying to grab from a mostly empty blue belt, and end up dropping off a stack slower than a short inserter would, so this is not a perfect design, but you can fill a blue belt as long as it's supplied. I think you could do some fuckery with splitters and a little extra sideways space to make it so that all supplying inserters aren't long.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 25, 2021