Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Disappointed by this. I own the game already and it scratches an itch DSP and Satisfactory don't so I will likely not give it up but I'm gonna feel crummy about it. Unless Wube handles it really well as a company I'm doubtful I'm going to suggest anyone give them money.

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, that's in the post that he's replying to. He seems to think "statutory rape" is some new term related to the student-teacher dynamic and he's just advocating the gross idea that teachers sleeping with "consenting" students is a-ok as long as the students are of age. Not, I think, extremely disgusting idea that teachers sleeping with underaged kids is a-ok.

I want to hope that its a language barrier but having encountered Libertarians the idea tends to be age of consent should be 13 so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wow, a bunch of new posts in the Factorio thread, I wonder what cool stuff is.. Oh... well poo poo.

Xerophyte posted:

Aside: goddamn I hate the entire "women can't program" :biotruths: myth. I was a TA at my CS department while I did my master. While prepping courses professors would cheerfully say things like "give the girls some extra help, they're not very good at this" and pontificate about what female qualities it was made them so bad at computer touching that it would cause the CS student body to be only 5% women.

I didn't even realize this was a thing. I work on a software development team on the QA side, and if I get my choice of a project to work on in a given release cycle I'm going to pick the project that the one female dev on the team is assigned to, as she produces not only the best code, but the best documentation and unit testing which makes my life so much easier.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Xerophyte posted:

Aside: goddamn I hate the entire "women can't program" :biotruths: myth. I was a TA at my CS department while I did my master. While prepping courses professors would cheerfully say things like "give the girls some extra help, they're not very good at this" and pontificate about what female qualities it was made them so bad at computer touching that it would cause the CS student body to be only 5% women.

As a senior software engineer at a dedicated software company: poo poo like this is why I have a picture of Margaret Hamilton hanging in my office. I should find ones of Admiral Grace Murray Hopper sometime and Ada, Countess of Lovelace, too. Women loving founded the discipline, lose me with the "only dick-havers can program" bullshit.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

At least those of us who are early backers or bought from the website have access to drm free files.

Hell,. When getting friends into the game id just give them a copy. It won't update itself without a login, and my conversion rate to purchasers is about 80%. The other 20 didn't like it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ash Crimson posted:

The centrist/Liberal approach

im curious about this actually because what is the material harm involved in playing a game you already own by a dev who is bad. Assuming no more money changes hands, how are you benefitting the causes this person supports by continuing to play the game?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Impermanent posted:

im curious about this actually because what is the material harm involved in playing a game you already own by a dev who is bad. Assuming no more money changes hands, how are you benefitting the causes this person supports by continuing to play the game?

I think the implication was that it's the mindset that encourages people to Buy Product regardless of associations because Product Good, i.e. for people who haven't bought it already. If you already own it then yeah, whatever, it's just unfortunate and frustrating.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
also playing a game a lot can make people around you(like on your friends list) curious about it.

is there a way to demarcate what games show as me currently playing them, or do I have to private my steam profile to do that? If it's the latter, I'll just mark myself invisible when playing. I already own it and it's a good game, so I'll still play it, but I will actively advertise against buying it and recommend its competitors to others.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I've already :sever:ed 5 friends who still play factorio because they told me I was blowing it out of proportion.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

I've already :sever:ed 5 friends who still play factorio because they told me I was blowing it out of proportion.

Yes, I too cannot deal in any way with people who disagree with me and must remove them from my life

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

If you're seeking out that many people and telling them they need to stop playing a game because the developer did bad politics online, your friends are probably right lol.

The dude sounds like a real piece of poo poo but you can just move on with your life instead of treating video game consumption as your chosen front for political activism

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 19, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rushing to buy the game or stoutly going 'he did nothing wrong' is one thing but what he did isnt so bad that anyone even playing the game must immeediately be confronted, lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wube is also a studio and more than Korovax the single programmer

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Tenzarin posted:

lmao

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Endorph posted:

rushing to buy the game or stoutly going 'he did nothing wrong' is one thing but what he did isnt so bad that anyone even playing the game must immeediately be confronted, lol

Seriously

lol just let people have fun with their game cripes

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Wtf i love factorio now.

Edit: just bought 5 copies lmao.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

vandalism posted:

Wtf i love factorio now.

Stupid women amirite. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.
Defending a violent white supremacist. User loses posting privileges for 1 month.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

vandalism posted:

Wtf i love factorio now.

Source your quotes

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Source your quotes

Oh it has nothing to do with the guy's take on women. That is what it is and I won't comment. However we gotta keep gems like this coming:

Tenzarin posted:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
People are now posting really awful steam reviews, I mean, just take a look at this!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tenzarin posted:

People are now posting really awful steam reviews, I mean, just take a look at this!

it's very telling that this review got approved by steam mods while my review that says not to give them money got banned so that I cannot edit or re-review it

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

The signs were there of a terminal case of libertarian coder-brain: taxation is theft!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Captain Invictus posted:

it's very telling that this review got approved by steam mods while my review that says not to give them money got banned so that I cannot edit or re-review it

Probably because Valve wants to make money when people buy the game dude. Like this doesn't even register on the "Bad things companies do for money" scale.

Also because a negative review that has nothing to do with the actual game is unhelpful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Probably because Valve wants to make money when people buy the game dude. Like this doesn't even register on the "Bad things companies do for money" scale.

Also because a negative review that has nothing to do with the actual game is unhelpful.
don't be stupid, they greenlight reviews that just say "ok" or "tits"(or in the case of factorio positive reviews lately, "based") with a positive score, or "bad" or "fffffffffff" with a negative score all the time, the review being worth anything is meaningless to being accepted or not. my review was short but was basically "I enjoy this game and have hundreds of hours in it but kovarex is bad and you shouldn't give him money" which is apparently verboten

it is absolutely hosed up that they allowed that review to go through, don't be obtuse.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

don't be stupid, they greenlight reviews that just say "ok" or "tits"(or in the case of factorio positive reviews lately, "based") with a positive score, or "bad" or "fffffffffff" with a negative score all the time, the review being worth anything is meaningless to being accepted or not. my review was short but was basically "I enjoy this game and have hundreds of hours in it but kovarex is bad and you shouldn't give him money" which is apparently verboten

it is absolutely hosed up that they allowed that review to go through, don't be obtuse.

this world is so corrupt...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

little munchkin posted:

this world is so corrupt...
I'm glad you understand things are bad. meet me in D&D and we will discuss it further, my friend.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I reported this review over two weeks ago:

It's still there.

Turns out Steam review "moderation" is garbage and Valve doesn't give a poo poo about anything except making money with as little effort as possible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wow thats a really long name for an expansion. ESO is really out of hand now.....

The Elder Scrolls online BLACKWOOD part of the gates of oblivion

Yikes!!!!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

lol

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
How about not review bombing the game over the reddit posts of one of the developers?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Valve don't really care whether reviews are positive or not, they do however care about them being what they call "on-topic", aka based on the merits of the game itself, not whatever grievances you might have with the company behind it. Off-topic reviews are subject to deletion, which of course always happens because Steam moderation is not at all arbitrary and intermittent.

I kind of agree with them about off-topic reviews, because they are unhelpful in curating a store of merchandise. When someone wants to know "is this game good" and all the replies are "the company behind it is poo poo", that's not helpful or what the reviews are there for.

Making the reviews a battleground where people on one side downvote any game from a company where someone did/said a bad thing, and people from the other side downvote games from companies with a profile that gets them tagged as full of "sjws" or whatever those kind of people latch on to, is only going to make reviews as a whole for Steam useless, even for games that aren't the target of either group.

If you can't trust a review score without spending a lot of time and effort trying to find out whether the score is based on the game itself or perceived slights from the company behind it, you might as well not have reviews at all. And that would be a shame, because generally I find Steam reviews to be much more in line with my own opinions of games than I do Metacritic and game review scores from professional reviewers.

There are channels for calling attention to lovely behaviors from people and companies. I don't think Steam reviews should be one of them.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 20, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah yes the positive ones like

definitely more on topic than mine that said I enjoyed the game and have put a lot of time into it but don't want to support the developer due to their statements

like that's the problem, if they're going to police reviews to that extent, they probably shouldn't let the ones directly from 4chan with hate speech in them through either. they apparently are filtering them, so if there's a human looking at them, it's pretty hosed up they are letting something like the one posted above go without issue.

anyways, game is good, dev is a massive scumbag, and if the company is allowing him to continue being a shithead publicly up to and including using the company twitter to corncob, reflects poorly on the company as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chadzok posted:

Yes, I too cannot deal in any way with people who disagree with me and must remove them from my life

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure a positive review bombing is a thing which is why you won't have much luck convincing the moderators that a positive review by someone who bought the game is invalid because you claim they actually hated it but wanted to manipulate the score.

On the other hand saying you enjoyed the game loads but want to make the score go down is literally saying "hi I'm review bombing". If you want to avoid moderation you have to say this game is bad to give a negative score.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Chalks posted:

I'm not sure a positive review bombing is a thing which is why you won't have much luck convincing the moderators that a positive review by someone who bought the game is invalid because you claim they actually hated it but wanted to manipulate the score.

On the other hand saying you enjoyed the game loads but want to make the score go down is literally saying "hi I'm review bombing". If you want to avoid moderation you have to say this game is bad to give a negative score.

Yeah but the problem is that the game isn't bad, and there's no point in leaving a negative review for it that doesn't mention the actual reason why you're leaving it. Furthermore the entire exercise appears to have, if anything, directly made the game sell better because a bunch of people who weren't interested in the game previously have now run out to buy it and leave good reviews because the dev is now "fighting the good fight" in their eyes, whereas all the people who are leaving negative reviews because of what the dev is saying have had no impact on his bottom line whatsoever because they already bought the game and played it for a million hours anyway.

Basically what I'm saying is that people are right to be complaining and that in the absence of any kind of contrition on the dev's part people should not purchase any more of his stuff, but review bombing a game that's been out for years, has already sold most of the copies it's going to sell, and has a well-established review score already is a total waste of everyone's time.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Valve proved that they didn't give a poo poo about the integrity of user reviews when they added awards for reviews. They got even worse than they already were following that, and the moderation hasn't gotten any better. (Of course it hasn't)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just to be sure, the Bob of bob's mods is a different one than the racist shithead Bob, right?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ymgve posted:

Just to be sure, the Bob of bob's mods is a different one than the racist shithead Bob, right?

Yeah but he and Twin Peaks Bob are the same guy

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

sucks that the dev is a chud, but he has my money already and factorio is pretty much the best game in this genre so im going to keep playing

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Did anyone make the Kovarex enrichment process joke yet? It's radioactive!

Imagine how awkward this must be for the other developers. God drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah he’s not even doing anything, he just can’t stop talking