Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Today I learned that kovarex neither knows when to shut up or how to gracefully explain their position and thoughts. I don't have the lived experience of growing up in a former soviet satellite state, but boy this poo poo got disappointing really fast.

E: Aaaah gently caress new page.

E2: Here's the best Factorio related April Fool's gag as a pallet cleanser: Factslowrio. If you play the game slowly you'll make less mistakes.

E3: gently caress it's not actually a fake series. It's a real series that silly man plays every April 1st. Wow.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Drone posted:

lol this rear end in a top hat watched the recent John Oliver episode about woke brand marketing and took the completely wrong message from it

And yet... :smugjones:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No, not really. If you look at concurrent player counts for the past week, it briefly spiked slightly and has now cratered to well below what it was before all this. Which suggests that a fair amount of the fanbase was turned off by all this, and the reviews have likely refunded it. Especially since, to the dev's slight credit, he at least keeps making a point of saying that he doesn't support blatant transphobia.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

No, not really. If you look at concurrent player counts for the past week, it briefly spiked slightly and has now cratered to well below what it was before all this. Which suggests that a fair amount of the fanbase was turned off by all this, and the reviews have likely refunded it. Especially since, to the dev's slight credit, he at least keeps making a point of saying that he doesn't support blatant transphobia.

not really seeing that? It looks like the people still playing the game don't actually care or know about any of this

e: unless you count the data for "today" as cratering, when it's just lower because the day is not over yet?

Tamba fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 21, 2021

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Just some of the "Most helpful" Steam reviews this week:

https://i.imgur.com/gU2x39x.png

https://i.imgur.com/Eqi1tHX.png

https://i.imgur.com/27mh5Se.png

https://i.imgur.com/SV6alqH.png

https://i.imgur.com/se2fCkz.png

https://i.imgur.com/44bEq3O.png

https://i.imgur.com/kOntc7u.png

https://i.imgur.com/VGusfMb.png

https://i.imgur.com/q2lnzlx.png

https://i.imgur.com/dIX7Bu5.png

https://i.imgur.com/FV4KMCR.png

https://i.imgur.com/QJNXOw5.png

https://i.imgur.com/h0BTrSk.png

https://i.imgur.com/Jaeuyo4.png

https://i.imgur.com/RNrWXYo.png

(Warning: Extreme transphobia and suicide bait)
https://i.imgur.com/TalOeDU.png

The last one made me nope out (after reporting it, for all the loving good that will do)

Just pages and pages and pages of this poo poo. They all sound the same. They really have no individuality at all.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 21, 2021

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Would be interesting to see if people would still be submitting positive reviews when they couldn't previously be bothered if people hadn't attempted to review bomb it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is this thread just gonna be people posting this stuff over and over. what makes you think anyone wants to see suicide bait to trans people when they click on a thread about a factory game. why would you post that without any warning about it. the gently caress is wrong with you.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 21, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Endorph posted:

is this thread just gonna be people posting this stuff over and over. what makes you think anyone wants to see suicide bait to trans people when they click on a thread about a factory game. why would you post that without any warning about it. the gently caress is wrong with you.

yeah you could just read twitter if you want to see that poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well I guess this is just going to evaporate into the aether like any other controversy, so if you're still playing this, PYF (Post Your Factory)

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 21, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Mr Scumbag posted:

The last one made me nope out (after reporting it, for all the loving good that will do)

and you then proceeded to inflict post it here

:thunk:

what a username/post combo

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

There is someone in the Factorio steam discussions who started a popular thread with what genuinely reads like a cult indoctrination speech, and each subsequent post by him reads more and more like a paranoid schizophrenic attempting to either retell The Manchurian Candidate from memory or sell me a book on phrenology. :psyboom:

On topic, a friend of mine started playing recently.

His miner/smelter setup is cute.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 21, 2021

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Endorph posted:

is this thread just gonna be people posting this stuff over and over.

for the foreseeable future, yes. I highly doubt that there's going to be much discussion about the actual game in here any time soon so this thread will likely contain nothing but talk about what various horrible people are saying on the internet.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

His miner/smelter setup is cute.

When I was new I would set up increasingly complex inserter/box groups at the end on my smelter columns to not waste production & it looks like your friend is of the same mind with that string of inserters and boxes that lead to nowhere, lol. Hopefully she’s playing with rich ores, or it will be a pain to tear it all down and re-jigger when things start depleting.

e: oh those inserters do lead back to a belt, I just had a hard time seeing it through bleary eyes on mobile.

Also, the Kovarex stuff sucks but I don't know what else there is to say until Wube says something. I'm going to keep playing this game every 6 months but I'll make it clear to friends, when they bring it up because they know I play, that they shouldn't play it. I suspect that's the stance for most people around here.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 21, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

cock hero flux posted:

for the foreseeable future, yes. I highly doubt that there's going to be much discussion about the actual game in here any time soon so this thread will likely contain nothing but talk about what various horrible people are saying on the internet.

Yup, about to unbookmark and wait for it to blow over. I see enough hate and threats directed at myself and people I care about without goons pointlessly posting more of them in a video game thread.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mod Alert

Please don't post images of bigoted bullshit. If you feel it's necessary to post the information, just post the link with a warning. You get across your message and you also avoid hurting anybody.

Situations like this are complicated since people just wanna talk about the game but of course the game's creator is relevant to any talk of the game. So...I dunno what to do, really. I won't even try to forbid people from talking about the latest drama, especially since it is important for people to know who they are supporting or giving their money to. But maybe just try to be sympathetic to people who like the game and already bought it and just wanna come in here and chat about it. That's all I can ask. But this is no mod ruling, just a friendly suggestion so everybody can have a good time.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I agree with all that entirely and I will not hold it against anyone "advertising" this game by the mere act of playing and discussing it, but that might work best with a big fat "dev is a creepy rear end in a top hat" in the title and/or OP of this thread.

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
This is unconscionable, I vote to remove the thread and ban anyone discussing F*ctorio on this forum moving forward. The creative works of these non-people (kovarex abandoned his humanity the minute he defended a bigot) are actual violence and the only ethical solution is to remove these hatifacts(hate artifacts) from existence. We may not be able to get the game pulled off Steam, but we can certainly eradicate it from the forums.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Source your quotes

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Chalks posted:

Would be interesting to see if people would still be submitting positive reviews when they couldn't previously be bothered if people hadn't attempted to review bomb it.

I, too, wonder if it's not truly the fault of those harmed, rather than those acting with obvious malice :rolleyes:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dancer posted:

I agree with all that entirely and I will not hold it against anyone "advertising" this game by the mere act of playing and discussing it, but that might work best with a big fat "dev is a creepy rear end in a top hat" in the title and/or OP of this thread.

Factorio: We must secure the existence of our people and a future for fast inserters

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

I, too, wonder if it's not truly the fault of those harmed, rather than those acting with obvious malice :rolleyes:

It's relevant to know if this sort of thing is just ineffective or actively counter productive since it can inform how people act in the future. There's no point ignoring it if thinking about it can make your response more effective in next time.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

you're confusing a moral judgement with a judgement of competence

Let's say there's a militia trying to defend a town from bandits. The militia is outnumbered, but they have strong fortifications they can use. The captain instead decides to fight the bandits on an open field. The militia is routed, and the bandits burn the town down.

Whose fault is it that the town burned down? Morally, the answer is the bandits. Obviously, they're the ones who burnt it down. However, making that judgement does nothing to prevent the same situation from happening again. If you're judging competence, the answer is the captain. He isn't morally at fault or a bad person, but he's incompetent. This judgement is actually helpful, because if the captain is fired and replaced then the next time the bandits show up the militia can defeat them.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Chalks posted:

It's relevant to know if this sort of thing is just ineffective or actively counter productive since it can inform how people act in the future. There's no point ignoring it if thinking about it can make your response more effective in next time.

On the one hand, it's clear that negative reviews referencing it will just be deleted while positive ones will be allowed to stand. It's all algorithms and they have a MUCH lower bar for negative reviews marked "not helpful" and reported than they do for positive ones with their new anti-review bomb measures, which is pretty stupid as review bombing absolutely works both directions.

On the other, at least the "positive" reviews are painting a pretty decent picture to tell people "stay away, there's some real poo poo takes here". The positive response from Gamers (capital G) is going to happen anyway regardless, so efforts to counter it on the Steam page are at worst, ineffective, otherwise it just pushes the "positive" reviews to be more vile and will steer people who care about that away anyway.

e; Seconding the post about adding a disclaimer about the lead dev's views. Brings it full circle also.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Well if you want to talk about the effectiveness of review bombing, it is pretty useless. And the other side will bomb in the other direction even if there is just a rumour of review bombing, so it doesn't really matter who goes first. And that also opens the question what an unopposed positive review bombing by the chuds would even do for a game that is already in the best rating category (I think).

e: and yeah, put a warning in the op when you get around to it.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

cock hero flux posted:

you're confusing a moral judgement with a judgement of competence

Let's say there's a militia trying to defend a town from bandits. The militia is outnumbered, but they have strong fortifications they can use. The captain instead decides to fight the bandits on an open field. The militia is routed, and the bandits burn the town down.

Whose fault is it that the town burned down? Morally, the answer is the bandits. Obviously, they're the ones who burnt it down. However, making that judgement does nothing to prevent the same situation from happening again. If you're judging competence, the answer is the captain. He isn't morally at fault or a bad person, but he's incompetent. This judgement is actually helpful, because if the captain is fired and replaced then the next time the bandits show up the militia can defeat them.

I'm the Kyuzo of Steam reviews, just fyi

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So I am burnt out on Satisfactory(my favorite mod is still broken) and DSP(waiting for more content).
What are the recommendations for mods for a returning player? I booted up the game and like half my mods were no longer supported.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I like Satisfactory but the 3D perspective makes the game feel really cumbersome compared to factorio. I don't feel like a benefit from being able to build in 3D because the game balances that out by expecting you to build in 3D for the same output.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Chalks posted:

Except there’s zero cases in which consumers have the ability to directly effect a corporation, even including angry media reviews, you’re literally just parsing out blame for nothing and then making whiny semantic points to defend the fact that you did poo poo which was absolutely meaningless except as an indicator of your character, tur-bo

AGAIN, I don’t need to have garbage logic ‘splained to me by folks trying to split semantic hairs, especially if they want to use a deeply reductive and simplistic bullshit argument about combat ethics to me, a human being who has a professional background as a trained Infantry soldier!

Seriously, if you catch yourself in a situation like this trying to draw this kind of distinction, rather than understanding how non-coordinated demonstrations of collective anger work and that there’s not a level of opining which could be remotely relevant, try just not spinning a bunch of defensive bullshit, it’s very easy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the amount of positive or negative reviews on this game's steam page means literally nothing to anyone, anywhere, and i dont know why people are so obsessed with it. even if there were more negative reviews that would not stop the reviews page from being filled with transphobia. thats a problem only steam can solve. and i assure you people would be spamming transphobia on this game's steam page even if there hadnt been a few angry reviews about the drama, cause people do that on games that dont even have any drama about them or anything to do with trans people.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2021

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Peachfart posted:

So I am burnt out on Satisfactory(my favorite mod is still broken) and DSP(waiting for more content).
What are the recommendations for mods for a returning player? I booted up the game and like half my mods were no longer supported.

Kind of depends on what sort of thing you want mods for. Are you trying to make the game more complicated/harder, or are you just looking to make QOL improvements to the base game?

For straight QOL stuff, I like these ones (in alphabetical order, not importance):

Afraid of the Dark - inbuild lighting and more light around my character
Big Brother - researchable longer radar ranges and faster radar scanning speed
Bottleneck Lite - Displays red/yellow/green on assemblers depending on whether they are waiting for inputs, backed up on output, or running normally.
Even Distribution - lets me ctrl-click and drag across multiple machines to drop stuff evenly among them.
Long Reach - don't have to be right next to entities to interact.
Max Rate Calculator - shows inputs/outputs of selected entities. Selectable in different time or belt color.
Merging Chests - select a bunch of chests that are next to each other to create a single large chest.
Miniloader - adds miniloaders and associated research
Noxi's Waterfill - Ability to add water to the map (reverse of landfill)
Power Armor Mk3 - bigger/better power armor with larger equipment grid and new power plant option for more zoom zoom in late game.
Rocket Silo Stats - Puts back the old 'number of satellites launched' counter on the screen.
Side inserters - Lets you make inserters work at 90 degree angles, and also select to drop near or far side of belt.
Squeak Through - Lets you squeeze between buildings and pipes.
TinyStart - gives you mini-power armor and some robots and personal roboport to start the game.
VehicleSnap - You can set how many 'snap' directions (default 16) and your car/tank will automatically 'snap' to the closest direction. Makes driving in a straight line possible!
YARM - Resource monitor - displays size/duration of resource patches. Can be set to only show when running low.

Many of these are minor/optional for me, but some like Even Distribution & Squeak Through should just be in the base game IMO.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Honk and Long Reach for basic QoL. Classic Beacon and Classic Mining Drill depending on taste. Bottleneck is handy for identifying... bottlenecks. Renai Transportation for the yuks (just be careful with launching trains, that still seems to cause a lot of crashes). Factorissimo if you have to go deeper. Beacon Overhaul is an interesting alternative to the default system.

Then if you want to, like, quintuple your potential playtime there's Space Exploration and all its associated nonsense. It's a bit much for me personally. I'd recommend starting fresh with that one, given it introduces new materials and intermediary steps in several different production lines.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

pooptorio

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The bad reviews on games are helpful I have found

I guess not for games that have become part of the kulturkampf.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Andrast posted:

pooptorio

That's right.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Krastorio 2 is really good if you're looking for a gameplay mod. It adds a bunch of new challenges without devolving into nonsense.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Feliday Melody posted:

I like Satisfactory but the 3D perspective makes the game feel really cumbersome compared to factorio. I don't feel like a benefit from being able to build in 3D because the game balances that out by expecting you to build in 3D for the same output.

Factorio is more fun than satisfactory.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The update this year is supposed to make the trains have collision and signals so I'll probably give satisfactory another spin-up when that's done. Would also appreciate not having every single factory build lay out be the journey of a thousand clicks. Satisfactory is nice but obviously still in EA in some big ways. I do like how much they leverage having the kinetic fun of first person though. buildable jump pads and pneumatic tubes for self-transport and jet packs and trucks all feel great.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll finally buy satisfactory when its actually finished

Speaking of EA stuff, did anyone grab Industries of titan today?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427940/Industries_of_Titan/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That's real pretty looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

little munchkin posted:

Krastorio 2 is really good if you're looking for a gameplay mod. It adds a bunch of new challenges without devolving into nonsense.

I'm trying this(along side the other qol mods above and I love it, thanks.