Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My goodness watching construction bots just go to work and start making whatever poo poo I tell them to is a magical moment

I may have shed a manly, nerdy tear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Trying to get green science working. I think you can tell I originally had a lot more duplicate factories and finally got around to removing them since they were just stealing parts from other things.

I know this isn't efficient but in terms of ratios or belt layouts, is there anything better I can do here?

I have decided I mostly cannot be bothered with ratios but there are a couple I feel I'm going to memorize. One of those is for making green circuits; three copper wire factories to two green circuit factories ends up being dead on

I also think you can tear down four of the five iron gear factories serving your red pack production, since gears produce waaayyy faster than the packs do-- in fact, I have two gear factories serving six red pack factories, and an inserter and belt factory, and that's seemed to work okay

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Trying to get green science working. I think you can tell I originally had a lot more duplicate factories and finally got around to removing them since they were just stealing parts from other things.

I know this isn't efficient but in terms of ratios or belt layouts, is there anything better I can do here?

If possible, get more smelting infrastructure, alot of those iron belts look empty. One thing splitters can do is that they can be used to merge conveyor belts, so you can have multiple belts from different smelters feeding the bus.

I would put a splitter before the bottom-most iron-gear line, since it's barely receiving any metal. That's looks like it's stalling red science production.
Another thing is that the inserter-assembler is barely receiving any iron because its placed after the gear assemblers. If possible, add a splitter to that so the gears and inserters assemblers get an equal fair share of iron plates.

One thing I'd suggest is having having the copper-wire assemblers feed directly into the circuit assemblers, instead of using the conveyor loop. Copper-wire is produced 3 per plate, but the inserters can only put them on/off conveyors one at a time. Eventually you'll be able to research upgrades for inserters that lets them move multiple items at a time, but only from one container-like object to another, such as assembler to assembler. This research doesn't affect conveyor-related movement, but can help with faster production of items.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

My goodness watching construction bots just go to work and start making whatever poo poo I tell them to is a magical moment

I may have shed a manly, nerdy tear

The moment you start using bots is the moment you wonder how you lived without them. I just set up a bot factory automated by bots, and I'm going to leave it on overnight so I can wake up to a few thousand of each.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

mechanicalFactory posted:

If possible, get more smelting infrastructure, alot of those iron belts look empty. One thing splitters can do is that they can be used to merge conveyor belts, so you can have multiple belts from different smelters feeding the bus.

Iron:

Smelting:

I have no idea why my iron ore belts are so empty. That looks like it should be more than enough iron ore for the plates ahead, but apparently it's not?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So do any wise goons run multiplayer servers for this game?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

Iron:

Smelting:

I have no idea why my iron ore belts are so empty. That looks like it should be more than enough iron ore for the plates ahead, but apparently it's not?

Looks like you need more miners going, half your furnaces have no input to work with. Steel furnaces can churn through that crap like a hot knife, and since you're using all the iron plates you're making they're gonna go as fast as they can

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 4, 2016

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Iron:

Smelting:

Well, what makes the bus look empty is because one belt worth of ore is being split into 4 different bus lanes. A mostly full belt of ore is halved to allow coal to be move alongside it for smelting, but it is still roughly about one belt worth of iron ore. Even if there was more ore on that belt, a good portion of the smelters wouldn't receive any ore. You could take half the iron smelting equipment and give them a separate source of ore, then feed it back to the bus system.
If there are any other nearby iron-ore patches, you could set up more miners for a smelting line, then link it up to the bus system.
Or you could start placing faster belts, that would improve production for the smelting setup.

It may have been posted in this thread somewhere during an older version, but I used this imgur album for belt tutorials.
http://imgur.com/a/qQrLS
http://imgur.com/a/zrtmI
The slow-down on belt turns was fixed, but I still use the double-sided belt balancing all the time.

mechanicalFactory fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 4, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

mechanicalFactory posted:

It may have been posted in this thread somewhere during an older version, but I used this imgur album for belt tutorials.
http://imgur.com/a/qQrLS
http://imgur.com/a/zrtmI
The slow-down on belt turns was fixed, but I still use the double-sided belt balancing all the time.

The inserter mechanics in the first link are also out of date. Here's what they look like in 0.12 and onwards:

Note the rotational symmetry: all positioning is relative to the belts and inserters, not to the world.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Krysmphoenix posted:

The moment you start using bots is the moment you wonder how you lived without them. I just set up a bot factory automated by bots, and I'm going to leave it on overnight so I can wake up to a few thousand of each.

If it takes you overnight to make a paltry few thousand bots, you really need to scale up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Those imgur albums are nice, but some of the splitter information is out of date, I believe. Splitters now work based on lanes, not items. (Someone on the official forums posted a setup that sorts a belt using only splitters, which prompted the devs to change the behavior.) The info regarding belts, like how to balance a one sided belt or switch a belt to be one sided, is still useful though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated rotatable pipes mod, now when you press Alt it has regular tiny liquid icons, instead of the huge blobby ones from storage tanks.

C'est une

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 4, 2016

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Nth Doctor posted:

You've gotten further than me. I got a small wall factory up and running. Barely. The biters are angry with me, and come in a wave every few minutes.

I did get 32 stone furnaces cranking out steel, but that's a popular hangout with the locals at the moment.

The big downside is that the biter bases they I've find ask have big worms guarding them.

I don't know where you are with tech, or how much room around the bases you have, but I always handle early worm kills with a car and poison caps. Just do doughnuts around the base and chuck 10 or so poison caps out the window, then drive back to your turrets to peel the biters off you.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Spent the evening last night driving 'round to all the nearby biter nests and leapfrogging turrets up to them to wipe them out. Those drat worms are a major pain, though. Basically I just drive by really fast, drop too many turrets for them to destroy at once, then drive back and reload once the worms have shifted targets. There's a huge nest up to the north of my base I'm going to have to deal with soon because the attacks on my northern perimeter are getting out of hand.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Laser turrets are green tech and outrange all but the largest worms (and they have equal range as the largest so you can just place a turret from out of range and keep repairing it until it destroys everything).

The downside to doing this is you have to bring electricity with you. Though long range electricity poles aren't too expensive once you get steel going proper.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Roadie posted:

So do any wise goons run multiplayer servers for this game?

I did for a while, then went through some poo poo that made me give up.

If I brought my server back up, anything you'd like to see, modwise?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Truga posted:

Laser turrets are green tech and outrange all but the largest worms (and they have equal range as the largest so you can just place a turret from out of range and keep repairing it until it destroys everything).

The downside to doing this is you have to bring electricity with you. Though long range electricity poles aren't too expensive once you get steel going proper.

Something like this is my current plan. Root Negative just covered the basics of bunkers, so I'm going to attempt that for close-in defense, too.

I haven't yet built a car. I was having an extremely hard time controlling it and not crashing into trees when I played through the scenarios a couple of months ago.

Here's my current factory in all of its glory:

Steam engines and wall mini-factory:

Boilers in dire need of repair from initial attacks:

Iron, copper, and steel smelting, also green circuit factory:

Steel smelting and science pack production:

Southern wall, feeder factory for green science and green circuit production:

Current end of the bus, with turret, red ammo, and shotgun factories:

Still need to get to oil production and I'd like to start upgrading my power poles because finding wood is a huge pain in the rear end now. Also need to begin making yellow ammo now that I have steel production.

The biters seem to be coming at me from the north, west, and south. I've walled off the eastern end but there are no turrets there yet.
The biters seem to be attacking my steel and iron smelting plants, my copper and iron mines, and some make it to the power plant.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

Good to know. I wasn't sure if lasers outranged worms and I didn't want to risk what is still a relatively expensive piece of equipment for me.

What I need to do is build a rocket launcher. I bet those will handle worms no problem.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

Looks like my current shortfall with what I have is green circuits, which means new factory time

I'd like to work out construction bots to do that though, which means lubricant, which means...

well, what it actually means is taking down and redoing oil processing 'cos all the crammed-together-ness has screwed my ability to pipe. Rats.

Question because I don't understand pipe mechanics, is there a way to completely empty one storage tank into another or can i only save half of it if I need to destroy it (by building the new tank first and piping to it)?

It's always circuits. Later things need circuits in abundance, red circuits eat green ones and the processing units take 20 each. Fast belts need 5... Late game the majority of your raw materials is going to be turning into circuits.

Yes you can empty one tank into another - with a pump, which needs an electric engine which in turn needs ... lubricant :)

ikanreed posted:

I did for a while, then went through some poo poo that made me give up.

If I brought my server back up, anything you'd like to see, modwise?

We used to run some as well but that was EU time and most of the others are off playing other things these days.

Nth Doctor posted:

The biters seem to be coming at me from the north, west, and south. I've walled off the eastern end but there are no turrets there yet.
The biters seem to be attacking my steel and iron smelting plants, my copper and iron mines, and some make it to the power plant.

The trick is to watch carefully to see where exactly they are coming from - they always run in a beeline. Deal with them then back track a little and put walls/turrets in the path they take.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

I just realized I'd really like to see mountains in this game as another way of segmenting terrain into choke points, maybe even for ore extraction points.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

New blog post is up!

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-128

Experimental belt (un)loader

http://i.imgur.com/c8bKi2a.webm

:swoon: It looks neat but could make some logistics waaaay too easy. Easy enough to just not use them though.

It could also make some interesting setups with belts, chests, and stack size improved inserters.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 4, 2016

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
It definitely needs constraints of some sort. Maybe if it only loads and unloads logistic chests?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I wonder if that's faster going between 2 chests on an express belt than using fast inserters with full stack upgrades to go between chests.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

FISHMANPET posted:

I wonder if that's faster going between 2 chests on an express belt than using fast inserters with full stack upgrades to go between chests.

Or if it worked for trains, is it faster than 5 stack upgraded long inserters? Overall, I think it far oversimplifies too many things that make factorio fun.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think I could only like it, if it only worked on trains/vehicles.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

GotLag posted:

I think I could only like it, if it only worked on trains/vehicles.

I kind of like it for mass loading and unloading of trains, but I agree with the other posters that it's too specialized. I'm not sure it really fits with the rest of the game.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Maybe if it only worked with specialized (and appropriately-costed) "hopper" chests, it would be more appropriate. Also making it in 3 flavors to match each belt speed, with corresponding increasing costs, so you'd need to put a ton of resources into unloading a hopper-chest at express belt speed.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Actually on further reflection and discussion in #factorio I've changed my mind and I think they're a great idea.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
They are the same as slipstream chests, found here: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=7121
They're pretty cool as buffers or in cramped spaces.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Applewhite posted:

Good to know. I wasn't sure if lasers outranged worms and I didn't want to risk what is still a relatively expensive piece of equipment for me.

What I need to do is build a rocket launcher. I bet those will handle worms no problem.

Eh, nope. Rockets just kinda piss them off a bit, they don't do anywhere near enough damage to kill them before you get stomped. Likewise the tank cannon is kinda poo. 5 laser turrets in a line will straight out destroy anything.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Eh, nope. Rockets just kinda piss them off a bit, they don't do anywhere near enough damage to kill them before you get stomped. Likewise the tank cannon is kinda poo. 5 laser turrets in a line will straight out destroy anything.

Tank cannons are pretty good for taking out the nests themselves though.

But if you're using a tank you might as well just run over the biters and the nests. It's faster, you don't anger the bugs, and your fleet of personal construction robots can just repair your tank for you.

I wonder if the space stuff will include orbital weapon platforms... run over to a nest, drop a beacon, and stand back as heavenly fire purges the whole area. It could be fun!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I don't understand the audio settings for this game, they are so hosed up and have been now for literal years. I would like to hear the music and "under attack" alarms without random sounds being ear shatteringly loud. Help. hlep. how to make it so

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

Tank cannons are pretty good for taking out the nests themselves though.

But if you're using a tank you might as well just run over the biters and the nests. It's faster, you don't anger the bugs, and your fleet of personal construction robots can just repair your tank for you.

I wonder if the space stuff will include orbital weapon platforms... run over to a nest, drop a beacon, and stand back as heavenly fire purges the whole area. It could be fun!

Are you playing with peaceful on? If I shoot a hut with a tank cannon, everything runs at me from the whole nest patch so I don't know how you reckon it doesn't anger bugs. It takes 3 or so shots to kill 1 hut but you're going to have to deal with the constant respawn running down your throat too. Running them over is fun and works sure but if it's a large nest you'll take so much damage from big worms your tank will not last long. You simply cannot beat the power of turrets and the fact they auto engage - poo poo simply dies in droves.

I have a game on peaceful with nest density set to 'very good' for easier harvesting of large amounts of artifacts (140 to 220 per nest) without too much running around. There are so many large worms in some of these that they will simply one shot you in the best gear and a tank if you activate too many at once. But laser turrets just eat those suckers alive.

To clarify: nest = the whole collection of poo poo in one 'town', hut = one spawner.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What if you don't fire the guns and just run them down? The tank does a lot of ram damage.

Also I think high nest density just makes the worms stronger.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

What if you don't fire the guns and just run them down? The tank does a lot of ram damage.

This is what I meant. The tank does a ton of damage if you hit something at moderate speed -- you don't even need full speed to take down a spawner -- and it won't anger the nearby bugs.

Shooting a nest will definitely anger all the nearby bugs, but ramming them won't. It's a bit silly.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ratzap posted:

The rockets don't have better range than the worms? Cuz my plan was to build a row of turrets, then pluck away from the worms at a safe distance.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Applewhite posted:

The rockets don't have better range than the worms? Cuz my plan was to build a row of turrets, then pluck away from the worms at a safe distance.

Well, it's weird. Rockets have 1000 range, which is sufficiently far. But rocket launchers only have 22 range. No one has definite numbers for the spitters' range, but I've seen at least 17 for small spitters and much greater than that for anything larger.

Rockets are not nearly as cool as they could be.

For comparison, the Combat Shotgun has 20 range and the SMG has 15. The rocket launcher is underwhelming.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Tenebrais posted:

Nope, the strength depends on evolution factor. The three settings are how dense the nests are (ie how many per map area), how big each one will be when it forms and how rich seems to control how many huts/worms/biters appear. The size of them is controlled by the evolution factor (60%+ in the game I'm talking about) and the factor spawns mediums over 30%, large over 60%.

Solumin posted:

This is what I meant. The tank does a ton of damage if you hit something at moderate speed -- you don't even need full speed to take down a spawner -- and it won't anger the nearby bugs.

Shooting a nest will definitely anger all the nearby bugs, but ramming them won't. It's a bit silly.

I just loaded my save and tested this. Amazingly it's true, I cleaned out an entire nest just running them over, I remember it not working before but crucially those times I had personal laser defenses slotted in my armour. If they're on peaceful and you don't shoot anything you can indeed just squish away - personally I'd consider this a bug.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006
Fastest way I've found for clearing nests is poison capsules for the worms, shotgun for the nests, and laser turrets for cleaning up biters. When you can, upgrade your shotgun and add exoskeletons (the speed boosting thing) and some shields to your power armors. This works for blue biters, idk if it will still work for the 'new' highest level of biters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't say I find myself interested in dealing with combat in this game at all, automated or otherwise :shrug: