Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I never got far enough to find out, what is solid fuel useful for? Can it be turned back into liquid?

I never got good at the oil processing game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ciaphas posted:

I never got far enough to find out, what is solid fuel useful for? Can it be turned back into liquid?

Burn it instead of coal for your steam engines and trains!

Also fuel rockets i guess

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I find it strange that you don't know where to focus on next. The research tree is basically a big neon sign saying "look here to see what you like the look of and what you want to unlock next!" and then you use that researched tech to build a better and more badass base. The end goal is to get a rocket launched.

I personally shoot for advanced oil processing then enjoy taking my time building a super efficient base. I've never actually launched a rocket but I've promised myself the next patch is when I'll launch my first rocket.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

You can't turn it back into liquid but it's a requirement for rocket fuel so you can't win without it. Anything that can burn coal can also burn solid fuel so you can stuff your car full of it, use it to run steam engines, and whatever. Since oil patches never run out it gives you an infinite source of fuel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Solid fuel is more energy dense than coal but coal is so energy dense there's not any huge value add for something more energy dense. For example at a certain point I use vehicles so often, I can just fuel them on power poles and the wood that used to be where the solar fields go.

While I research advanced oil processing I stick it in chests and turn it all to rocket fuel later.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

zedprime posted:

Solid fuel is more energy dense than coal but coal is so energy dense there's not any huge value add for something more energy dense. For example at a certain point I use vehicles so often, I can just fuel them on power poles and the wood that used to be where the solar fields go.

While I research advanced oil processing I stick it in chests and turn it all to rocket fuel later.
On this note it's totally reasonable to have "mixed" fuel sources for your trains, as they have 3 fuel slots that can be different kinds. So a requestor chest asking for wood/small poles/old boxes at your train station and dumping them in will work just fine.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Wait, you can burn small poles? I never even thought to try that. I've just been sticking them in chests and blowing them up this whole time. Oh well!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yep. If you mouse over them it will show you how many joules of burn they got in them. You can also burn wooden chests, and wood (like, after you've processed it from raw wood logs). You can also run your stuff on rocket fuel if you want! It is the densest fuel available and lasts forever, which can be nice for trains sometimes.

There's no advantage to doing it - you get the same amount of joules from the amount of processed wood and power poles you can get per log as you would from raw wood. Well, less for the poles if you factor in the cost of smelting the copper and making the wires for them. You also lose out a little from turning it into chests. But you'll probably reach a phase in the game where you have a pile of old wooden electric poles you don't need anymore, so turn them into power.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I usually just shove them into a chest and blow them up. Though even in late-game, I still use small poles. Just not as much as early-game.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there any newbie guides for this game that give a general idea of the major progression milestones? I've played for a few hours and so far I have a factory putting out red and green beakers and a bunch of steel, I surrounded it with walls, and now I have a car. I also just got oil processing and presumably should do something with that, but I have no idea where I should be going from here. Blue beakers? Robots? Something else?

I feel like there are a shitton of "newbie guides" out there but they all basically show you how to get to the point I just reached and no further. I don't need a step-by-step guide for how to win, but it'd be nice to have an intermediate goal to work towards that isn't "make the rocket".

Negative root has a full newbie series that walks you through the whole stock game. That might be what you're looking for: step by step to the end
It's a little out of date as it's for 0.13 (no landfill and some map gen options are changed) but it's still useful.

I saw this mod today and chuckled, definitely have to try it. https://mods.factorio.com/mods/ShadowyXP_Games/Robees

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yep. If you mouse over them it will show you how many joules of burn they got in them. You can also burn wooden chests, and wood (like, after you've processed it from raw wood logs). You can also run your stuff on rocket fuel if you want! It is the densest fuel available and lasts forever, which can be nice for trains sometimes.

There's no advantage to doing it - you get the same amount of joules from the amount of processed wood and power poles you can get per log as you would from raw wood. Well, less for the poles if you factor in the cost of smelting the copper and making the wires for them. You also lose out a little from turning it into chests. But you'll probably reach a phase in the game where you have a pile of old wooden electric poles you don't need anymore, so turn them into power.
If you use enough modules you can actually get more processed wood (and rocket fuel) out than you put in in terms of energy value.

This is not actually worth doing though.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ShadowHawk posted:

It's actually super rare in the video game industry it seems (along with other basic practices of software quality).

If I had to guess why, it's because the video game industry is full of amateurs who haven't yet realized they can make twice as much under better working conditions if they go to a real company.

God, tell me about it. Modding for Factorio has spoiled me, because it's got a well-documented API and responsive devs.

Modding for Stellaris is a loving awful experience. The recent 1.5 update changed from using Lua to their own lovely format without any documentation, and for whatever reason (likely none) only some files can be partially overridden, for most you have to completely replace them, which sucks the big one for mod compatibility. Also in the 1.5.0 release they broke that partial aspect, so pretty much no mods were compatible for the first week of release.

As an example of incompatibility, there's a mod that adds integral reactors to military ships, called which it does by changing the file 00_ship_sizes.txt. But to add this slot to ships, it has to reimplement that entire file. I have another mod that changes how close together you can build military stations, which is also defined in that file. So to use these mods together, I have to extract the workshop mods and manually merge them.

In Factorio the data structures are all Lua tables so it would be loving trivial to make these mods and they would in no way conflict with each other. Sigh.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 15, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ShadowHawk posted:

This is not actually worth doing though.

This phrase is like waving a red flag at a bull in a Factorio thread.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Didn't see this mentioned recently, so Foreman still works just fine for calculating ratios AND it works with mods. I've been using it for prototyping bob/angels production chains in SeaBlock before actually making them happen.

Here, for an example, have this insane clusterfuck I was messing with for accumulator production.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Just so you guys know what you're missing out on because the devs have automated testing (or really any testing), here's a post from the Space Engineers thread:

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Welding any turret to about 70% caused a crash. The latest hotfix fixed it.

But elite tools are apparently broked? There's a temp mod that fixes elite tools; http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=905138840

This happens all the time. And over two or so years (of off and on playing), while multiplayer is much more playable, the game is still easily ruined by physics bugs.

That and you can get to the point where everything is buildable in just a few hours of play (where it just becomes a matter of how much you want to scale up, which isn't really a challenge)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Powers posted:

Just so you guys know what you're missing out on because the devs have automated testing (or really any testing), here's a post from the Space Engineers thread:

This happens all the time. And over two or so years (of off and on playing), while multiplayer is much more playable, the game is still easily ruined by physics bugs.

That and you can get to the point where everything is buildable in just a few hours of play (where it just becomes a matter of how much you want to scale up, which isn't really a challenge)

Oh man did I burn out hard on space engineers. There is nothing to do except personal challenges or art.

Starmade is SE but better in every way. Now there's a game that you can really make spreadsheets about. I mean, there's still nothing to really accomplish besides "attack a hugeass pirate base [a cubic kilometer or so] and go 1 vs 50 with the reinforcements using a kilometer-long dreadnaut you designed and built yourself". On the other hand weapon/turret/reactor design is soooo fun to math at :burger: And coming from SE, having said fight be virtually lag-free is mind blowing.

Also the demo is actually the full game for free*

I really need to make a thread for it, I'm going nuts about it and the game could use a goon presence.

*until out of early access **

**so, forever

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Now there's a game that you can really make spreadsheets about.

New thread title.

Evilreaver posted:

I really need to make a thread for it, I'm going nuts about it and the game could use a goon presence.

Please do, it sounds interesting.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I've been killing time by playing heavily modded Minecraft and holy christ it's an incoherent mess. Nothing's documented and there are at least three different somewhat-compatible power systems.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
There's also different editions of those power systems, which forked off some ancient predecessor and are now completely incompatible. Ask how I know!

Modded Minecraft can be fun but oh my GOD trying to make any mods work with any other is a pain. Most of the pipe and ducting systems aren't compatible either.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Also I haven't gotten to endgame yet but it looks like the modpack I'm using (Feed the Beast Infinity Lite) has literally 10 different ways of teleporting the player that all work in somewhat different ways.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Modded Minecraft is badass. Find a curated and pre-assembled mod pack though - it's not worth the effort to assemble your own. It scratches the same mental itch as Factorio.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish there was more to the oil game in Factorio than "Save a little bit of lubricant for electric engines/blue belts, then crack everything into petroleum"

e: Ok I guess you need to make fuel blocks and flamer fuel as well, but that's pretty much a rounding error compared to how much petroleum gas you need for plastic and sulfur.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I remember how reluctant the devs were to put the game on Steam, claiming it wasn't sufficiently developed yet. It was already well above the norm for most EA games when I started this thread.

On the other hand, the delayed Steam release worked out really well for them, because there was already a huge crowd out there who loved the game and immediately started posting positive reviews the moment it hit Steam.

vOv posted:

I've been killing time by playing heavily modded Minecraft and holy christ it's an incoherent mess. Nothing's documented and there are at least three different somewhat-compatible power systems.
Mojang never delivered on their promised mod API then? Not that the lack of one ever really stopped people from making mods.

Mr. Powers posted:

Space Engineers
Just like Factorio, I really like the concept of having a creative mode where you could design your poo poo, and then you take the blueprints into a survival game and quickly mass-produce them.

By the time I stopped playing Space Engineers it took 6 full minutes to load a multiplayer game. The server would also frequently crash and kick everyone out.

Mr. Powers posted:

because the devs have automated testing
This makes such perfect sense for a game about automation. :allears:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

SE can suck a dick. Spent hours playing multiplayer and building a massive mothership with two friends. It had docking ports for our little utility ships. I docked my ship to it, and we headed off into space. Half way up, physics craps out and everything tears itself apart, cause the docked ships kept floating farther and farther behind until things went bang.

Bugs like that would happen so often, it became annoying having to restart the server to revert to an earlier save. That was about a year ago, haven't touched it since.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

vOv posted:

Also I haven't gotten to endgame yet but it looks like the modpack I'm using (Feed the Beast Infinity Lite) has literally 10 different ways of teleporting the player that all work in somewhat different ways.

Yeah FTB Infinity Lite is the one I've been playing recently as well. You do want to find a curated pack because, among other things, (almost) all of the industry mods in this pack have been configured so they use the same type of energy and are compatible with each other's power sources and ducting, and a copper ore that you find in this mod will work for that mod's recipes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Loopoo posted:

SE can suck a dick. Spent hours playing multiplayer and building a massive mothership with two friends. It had docking ports for our little utility ships. I docked my ship to it, and we headed off into space. Half way up, physics craps out and everything tears itself apart, cause the docked ships kept floating farther and farther behind until things went bang.

Bugs like that would happen so often, it became annoying having to restart the server to revert to an earlier save. That was about a year ago, haven't touched it since.

By docking ports, do you mean you docked the ships via connectors or locked landing gear? Really need to use landing gear.. Connectors are not very reliable. Also it sorta makes sense since connector lock feature is just for transferring stuff.

e. Just noticed this was the factorio thread, not space engineers. Ugh.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 16, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ambaire posted:

By docking ports, do you mean you docked the ships via connectors or locked landing gear? Really need to use landing gear.. Connectors are not very reliable. Also it sorta makes sense since connector lock feature is just for transferring stuff.

I used connector ports, I had no idea you needed to dock with landing gear as well.

There were other really annoying bugs as well. For some reason, whenever I flew my friend's small ship, it'd handle super badly and slowly drift towards the ground and I wouldn't be able to thrust up to prevent crashing. This always happened to the point where I just straight up couldn't use his ships. He'd hop in right after and show me it was nimble and flyable. I dunno why that happened. It'd also happen with my own ships, after flying for a while, they'd slowly become more unresponsive and sluggish.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 16, 2017

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Since I'd never done it before, I just completed the "Getting on Track like a pro" achievement.

I was about 4 minutes early and I wasn't sure I'd make it entirely since those drat engines take forever to build, but that was actually incredibly fun. I abandoned the map though; the way I set up my science was not sustainable/tileable, and it made the autist in me hurt so much.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ambaire posted:

Didn't see this mentioned recently, so Foreman still works just fine for calculating ratios AND it works with mods. I've been using it for prototyping bob/angels production chains in SeaBlock before actually making them happen.

Here, for an example, have this insane clusterfuck I was messing with for accumulator production.

now do the tier 4 science packs - "Onerun Virtual Particle Forge"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Stick Insect posted:

Mojang never delivered on their promised mod API then? Not that the lack of one ever really stopped people from making mods.

IIRC they basically said 'well, the unofficial mod infrastructure is good enough and people are so used to it that it doesn't make sense for us to make our own'.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DelphiAegis posted:

Since I'd never done it before, I just completed the "Getting on Track like a pro" achievement.

I was about 4 minutes early and I wasn't sure I'd make it entirely since those drat engines take forever to build, but that was actually incredibly fun. I abandoned the map though; the way I set up my science was not sustainable/tileable, and it made the autist in me hurt so much.

Yeah that achievement was fun. My first try failed by 18 seconds because I spent too much time making a nice layout with bus and belts. Thankfully I just went back a couple of autosaves and built a box city instead.

This last week I've been playing with Anonymods some more. It's partly more complex than Bobs, partly less and a hell of a lot less tedious than Angels. At around the 16 hour mark (I've not been rushing, leaving it doing research while I do something else) I now have all the red and green items researched. The next bit will take some motivation to get round to - oil and much more fiddly electronics boards.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zetsubou-san posted:

now do the tier 4 science packs - "Onerun Virtual Particle Forge"

What in the gently caress is this madness.

e. Logistic bots required, I think. That or pure belt hell...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 17, 2017

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Are there any good tutorials for using Foreman to create optimized or balanced recipes? Maybe it doesn't do what I think it does, but I'd like to design a balanced red circuit factory and I feel like I'm missing something with it (Foreman).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Well there's two mods; foreman that's used for blueprint management and there's a foreman used to calculate ratios.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

M_Gargantua posted:

Well there's two mods; foreman that's used for blueprint management and there's a foreman used to calculate ratios.

I'm using the application, not the mod. I just don't understand the optimization part. I.e. I can put down a red circuit output node and have it auto fill the rest, and it seems to come up with the totals needed of each part, but it's the step of translating that into number of assemblers, etc, that I feel like I'm missing.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm using the application, not the mod. I just don't understand the optimization part. I.e. I can put down a red circuit output node and have it auto fill the rest, and it seems to come up with the totals needed of each part, but it's the step of translating that into number of assemblers, etc, that I feel like I'm missing.

All you need to do is also put in how fast you need to produce your output part, and also tell it what production machines and modules you have available. Then it will tell you what production machines and how many you need to produce your output that fast.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If anyone here is running Reactors and is having speed issues, a guy called Vegemeister has provided an optimised version. I'm not sure if it's worth bundling it up for a proper release given how close 0.15 apparently is.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Foreman is awesome, but beware, it's like opening Pandora's loving box. You start off by creating a dedicated red circuit factory, but then you realise you need a metric fucktonne of green circuits, so you say to yourself "eh, I'll just overhaul my green circuit production area to overproduce this poo poo". Next thing you know (ten hours later) you've trickled down the entire production chain to the point where you're building massive copper wire sections and aaaaahhhhh

Next patch, I'm running with foreman from the get-go. On that note, does anyone know how long it'll take the major mods to update to the new patch? How long has it taken them in the past? With Dwarf Fortress, mods can take months to catch up to new versions.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Foreman is awesome, but beware, it's like opening Pandora's loving box. You start off by creating a dedicated red circuit factory, but then you realise you need a metric fucktonne of green circuits, so you say to yourself "eh, I'll just overhaul my green circuit production area to overproduce this poo poo". Next thing you know (ten hours later) you've trickled down the entire production chain to the point where you're building massive copper wire sections and aaaaahhhhh

Next patch, I'm running with foreman from the get-go. On that note, does anyone know how long it'll take the major mods to update to the new patch? How long has it taken them in the past? With Dwarf Fortress, mods can take months to catch up to new versions.

It's generally been fairly fast, a couple of days for most of the main ones (not counting the major overhauls).

And unlike DF, these guys have a plan and try to stick to it as well as document it.

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

vOv posted:

IIRC they basically said 'well, the unofficial mod infrastructure is good enough and people are so used to it that it doesn't make sense for us to make our own'.
Read: "We're making poo poo tons of money off kids and their parents who buy all our crappy Minecraft merch and you sperglords aren't our target demographic."

On topic, I found another great mod: Chainsaw. Does just what it says on the tin, gives you a chainsaw for rapid tree harvesting before you get construction bots.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 17, 2017