Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
How much do the fluid wagons hold? Because depending on that, you may be able to carry more per train by barreling it first then putting it on a regular cargo wagon. Using the fluid wagon may just be an easier (and cooler) way to move it around without having to mess with all the barreling/unbarreling stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Barreling is easier to set up, of I'm understanding it correctly. The fuel tanker requires pumps to load and unload, which require electric engines. Barrels can be set up with the same tools you've been using all game. Pumps become easier to use once you have the oil infrastructure set up.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Solumin posted:

Barreling is easier to set up, of I'm understanding it correctly. The fuel tanker requires pumps to load and unload, which require electric engines. Barrels can be set up with the same tools you've been using all game. Pumps become easier to use once you have the oil infrastructure set up.

Also, if barreling is extended to all liquids, then you can mix more than three types per wagon.

Even if not, other supplies could still share space.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/66wb3l/015_changelog_prerelease_what_to_look_forward_to/

Read it and weep, you beautiful bastards

Also, barreling is garbage and a nightmare to maintain. I've always had an absolute terrible time trying to use barreling instead of just using a fluid wagon.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

quote:

- Fast in game interactions like fast inserting into/from entity and copy paste can be done by dragging instead of having to click one at a time.

:worship:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loopoo posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/66wb3l/015_changelog_prerelease_what_to_look_forward_to/

Read it and weep, you beautiful bastards

Also, barreling is garbage and a nightmare to maintain. I've always had an absolute terrible time trying to use barreling instead of just using a fluid wagon.

"- When dying in multiplayer you leave behind a body with your items that slowly degrades."
Thank gently caress.

Really? I usually do the following:
- If you don't have filter inserters, each train needs a cargo wagon for full barrels and a cargo wagon for empty ones.
- If you do have filter inserters, you can get away with only 1 cargo wagon.
- The filling station takes out X empty barrels and puts in X full barrels. The train leaves when it's out of empties and has X fulls.
- The emptying station takes X full barels and puts in X empty barrels. The train leaves when it's out of fulls and has X empties.
- Start by sending the train to the filling station with X full barrels.
Basically, treat each train as a closed system. This obviously gets slow when the wells are running dry, but you can always reduce the number of barrels that the train is waiting on.

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

0.15 Notes posted:

- Added flamethrower to the tank.

:black101:

Really big patch filled with neato stuff. Can't wait!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

quote:

- The map seed is used to generate unique maps instead of just shifting the starting position.
- Disabled mining of vehicles other players are driving.
- Changed bounding box of burner mining drills and pumpjack, so it is possible to walk in between them.
- Increased blueprint book size to hold 1000 blueprints
- Blueprints, blueprint books and deconstruction planners are obtainable from the library GUI with no crafting cost.
- Blueprint library: Allows for keeping players blueprints between individual game saves and allows sharing
blueprints in multiplayer games.

Awesome. I'm not sure if there's anything I'm looking forward to more than Factorio 0.15.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Doubling the richness and halving the quantity of oil fields is fuckin' great too, establishing oil fields is a huge hassle.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I already have enough trouble finding oil patches, I'm kind of worried how that'll work out.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Solumin posted:

"- When dying in multiplayer you leave behind a body with your items that slowly degrades."
Thank gently caress.

Really? I usually do the following:
- If you don't have filter inserters, each train needs a cargo wagon for full barrels and a cargo wagon for empty ones.
- If you do have filter inserters, you can get away with only 1 cargo wagon.
- The filling station takes out X empty barrels and puts in X full barrels. The train leaves when it's out of empties and has X fulls.
- The emptying station takes X full barels and puts in X empty barrels. The train leaves when it's out of fulls and has X empties.
- Start by sending the train to the filling station with X full barrels.
Basically, treat each train as a closed system. This obviously gets slow when the wells are running dry, but you can always reduce the number of barrels that the train is waiting on.

I just started playing again where I had previously been using a tanker mod. It is definitely a pain to keep balanced unless you're going to set up a circuit network to maintain balance, or just flood the system with empties so that everything has enough.

Looking forward to Tuesday. I'm on vacation now, but flying home Sunday and I figured that the patch would drop while I couldn't play. I lucked out because Tuesday I'll be home and my wife won't be home until Thursday, so I can just play all out on Tuesday and Wednesday night.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

I can't believe I've never tried to do OTTD-style stations like these before. Now to figure out the most compact way to make a balanced, belt-only unloader.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Doubling the richness and halving the quantity of oil fields is fuckin' great too, establishing oil fields is a huge hassle.

And they deplete half as fast, and they only deplete down to 20% instead of 10%.

Also

quote:

- Fuel type now affects vehicle acceleration and top speed.
I really hope this has a significant impact, so that I can shove some rocket fuel in my car and fast & furious my way around the factory. And, y'know, ROCKET TRAINSSSS

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

I just started playing again where I had previously been using a tanker mod. It is definitely a pain to keep balanced unless you're going to set up a circuit network to maintain balance, or just flood the system with empties so that everything has enough.

Looking forward to Tuesday. I'm on vacation now, but flying home Sunday and I figured that the patch would drop while I couldn't play. I lucked out because Tuesday I'll be home and my wife won't be home until Thursday, so I can just play all out on Tuesday and Wednesday night.

No no, each train has its own set of empties. You don't need to flood the system or even use a circuit network, each train has a fixed number of barrels at all times.

Start with a train that has, say, 20 empty barrels. This one train goes between an oil outpost (the filling station) and your central oil processing station (the emptying station).

At the filling station, you have a few crude storage tanks leading into the barrel-filling assembler. The train pulls up to the station, inserters pass the train's 20 empty barrels to the assembler to fill them, then puts the 20 now-full barrels back into the train. The train then takes off -- the condition to leave would be "0 empty barrels and 20 full barrels".

At the emptying station, inserters take all the full barrels out of the train and pass them to the assembler that empties them. The 20 now-empty barrels are passed back to the train, which heads back to the filling station. The condition to leave the emptying station is "0 full barrels and 20 empty barrels".

You need either 2 cargo wagons or filter inserters to make sure each station takes out only empty or full barrels, otherwise you're stuck. Each train reuses the barrels it started with. I usually only have 1 train servicing each oil outpost, but you can have more. This setup works well as long as there's no oil backup at the emptying station.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 22, 2017

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Solumin posted:

This setup works well as long as there's no oil backup at the emptying station.

And if there is a backup at the emptying station, you don't need the train to continue running back and forth. You DO need to start using more oil, though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Right! The train will eventually run very infrequently as the wells dry up and will spend a lot of time at the filling station, but that's fine because it won't be blocking any other trains.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Solumin posted:

No no, each train has its own set of empties. You don't need to flood the system or even use a circuit network, each train has a fixed number of barrels at all times.

Start with a train that has, say, 20 empty barrels. This one train goes between an oil outpost (the filling station) and your central oil processing station (the emptying station).

At the filling station, you have a few crude storage tanks leading into the barrel-filling assembler. The train pulls up to the station, inserters pass the train's 20 empty barrels to the assembler to fill them, then puts the 20 now-full barrels back into the train. The train then takes off -- the condition to leave would be "0 empty barrels and 20 full barrels".

At the emptying station, inserters take all the full barrels out of the train and pass them to the assembler that empties them. The 20 now-empty barrels are passed back to the train, which heads back to the filling station. The condition to leave the emptying station is "0 full barrels and 20 empty barrels".

You need either 2 cargo wagons or filter inserters to make sure each station takes out only empty or full barrels, otherwise you're stuck. Each train reuses the barrels it started with. I usually only have 1 train servicing each oil outpost, but you can have more. This setup works well as long as there's no oil backup at the emptying station.

This is slow because the train sits idle while barreling and unbarreling.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I guess? Usually pumping up enough oil to fill barrels is the slowest part, so you aren't losing anything if the train is idle. Barreling and unbarreling is pretty fast itself.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Yea you don't have to have the train wait for anything. With 6 inserters per side taking 12 items at a time each, the train spends 2 seconds in the unloader, tops, before heading out to idle at the oilfield again.

The oilfield is filling barrels while the train is traveling, of course (not many, but)

Unload the oil barrels into steel chests, the capacity is *much* larger than oil tanks, are thus much denser, and can use logistics bots to move the goods to boot.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 22, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Zomborgon posted:

Also, if barreling is extended to all liquids, then you can mix more than three types per wagon.

Even if not, other supplies could still share space.

I believe they did say in one FFF that barreling would be extended to all liquids.

Edit: Reading the Reddit post, and holy poo poo.

quote:

Added Logistic networks GUI containing a list of all networks and contents with search (opened by the L key).

Also, yes, barreling works for all liquids.

quote:

Added automatic barreling support for all fluids.

Nifty!

quote:

Fish can be collected by robots.

Added ability to change individual inserter stack size bonuses through GUI or the circuit network.

And thank God.

quote:

Added >=, <=, != to the Decider Combinator and Circuit Conditions.

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 22, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Yea you don't have to have the train wait for anything. With 6 inserters per side taking 12 items at a time each, the train spends 2 seconds in the unloader, tops, before heading out to idle at the oilfield again.

The oilfield is filling barrels while the train is traveling, of course (not many, but)

Unload the oil barrels into steel chests, the capacity is *much* larger than oil tanks, are thus much denser, and can use logistics bots to move the goods to boot.

That's the other way to do it, and works fine. I like having the trains be self-contained. And it would be waiting at the emptying station for, I don't know, 30 seconds at worst? Depending on how many barrels you use.
My point is that it doesn't matter if the train gets to the filling station earlier, because not much oil would have been pumped in those extra 30 seconds. The train will keep delivering 20 barrels the entire time, and once set up never needs to be changed. It's wholly self-contained and needs no interference from me, unless I want it delivering less oil more often.

Barreling is not terrible and is easy to set up.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Evilreaver posted:

This is where I run into timing problems. You need extra barrels and unless you get everything balanced right, eventually the train is going to be making empty runs or waiting (depending on how you set it up).

Start with seed barrels. Train goes and picks up nothing while dropping off empties at barrelling. Goes to drop off nothing and also pick up nothing at the unbarreling. Back at barreling it drops off nothing and picks up maybe all the empties that are now full. Drops them off for unbarreling and has nothing to bring back yet so it goes out and back with nothing. Usually at this point I throw more empties into the system, and it repeats with decreasing numbers of empty runs until eventually I just have empties backed up on the belts (from unload chests) at barreling.

I could probably implement a counting system but the tankers just make so much more sense to me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah the tanker is going to make it all a lot easier. I never used the mods because I always had trouble getting the tanker car to actually work.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh. This is unfortunate.

quote:

quote:

No belts optimizations for 0.15? I thought it was announced to be in this huge update?
Unfortunately, we decided to postpone belt optimization until 0.16 so we don't delay 0.15 any further.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Solumin posted:

Yeah the tanker is going to make it all a lot easier. I never used the mods because I always had trouble getting the tanker car to actually work.

I didn't really use mods at all except for the tanker, and when I installed it (along with the advanced fluid handling), it just worked and made life so easy.

I think I'm going to start making two headed trains, though, because the stations from the FFF album look much more compact where I have to keep putting in loop backs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Onean posted:

Oh. This is unfortunate.

quote:

Unfortunately, we decided to postpone belt optimization until 0.16 so we don't delay 0.15 any further.

It was ambitious. I'd love to get it in 0.15 but they're adding so much that I won't complain.

Mr. Powers posted:

I didn't really use mods at all except for the tanker, and when I installed it (along with the advanced fluid handling), it just worked and made life so easy.

I think I'm going to start making two headed trains, though, because the stations from the FFF album look much more compact where I have to keep putting in loop backs.

This was back in 0.12 when trains were a little rougher, and I think I had placed the pumps wrong. Never really bothered with it since then.

Two headed trains are... OK.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah I did it in the last few .13 updates and early .14.

I prefer single ended trains for ease of signals, but those stations just looked so compact. I think my stations might fare better if I loop back on the return rather than loop first.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Can we barrel steam?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dr. Stab posted:

Can we barrel steam?

Steam is now actually steam, not just really hot water?

Actually, I know you can store hot liquids in storage tanks - making a hot water buffer of sorts, but does that work with barreling hot crude oil as well?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Anyone have a mirror of the notes? Looks like the original post got deleted.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

As did the forum post, as did a reddit post asking about it. Hmm. I hope Klonan doesn't get into trouble...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What belt optimizations are we missing from 0.15, exactly? Something to do with corners?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This one, I think.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Anyone have a mirror of the notes? Looks like the original post got deleted.

Someone managed to copy the original before it was deleted.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So, in prep for .15, since boilers now have a very nice 1:2 ratio with steam engines now despite being double the size, has anyone figured out how many boilers you can service off one waterpump? Or did they change fluid mechanics enough at this point for it to not matter?

I do expect some fantastic pictures in this thread so that the blueprints can carry on forever and ever, though.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

I really wanted to launch my first rocket before .15 on a sub 8 hour run. I've been trying it on totally vanilla settings and was 32 minutes short this time around. Gah! I have saves a couple of points through, not sure if I can be bothered to go back.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DelphiAegis posted:

I do expect some fantastic pictures in this thread so that the blueprints can carry on forever and ever, though.

A new website for blueprints started last week: https://factoriolayouts.com/ which looks pretty promising. They say they made it because the current sites were missing features like search or auto fingernail. Plus the quickly fill up with childish garbage and stagnate.

I'm more looking forward to MP games in 0.15 to get quality blueprints. Jump around public access games and scuffle through everyone's books searching for gold :)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

DelphiAegis posted:

So, in prep for .15, since boilers now have a very nice 1:2 ratio with steam engines now despite being double the size, has anyone figured out how many boilers you can service off one waterpump? Or did they change fluid mechanics enough at this point for it to not matter?

I suspect it will be 1:5:10.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mr. Powers posted:

I suspect it will be 1:5:10.

This guy calculated it as 1:20:40. That would be interesting.. not sure if his math checks out, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ambaire posted:

This guy calculated it as 1:20:40. That would be interesting.. not sure if his math checks out, though.

I didn't realize they made steam engine and water changes, too.