Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The bronze/brass barrier in Angels/Bobs can suck my dick from the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

The Locator posted:

I have finished the perimeter wall and defense, cleansed my area of bugs, established pretty much full radar coverage, and got the 2nd iron mine up and running (again).

I have played this game for over 1000 hours and don't think I've ever had a base that well organised. Maybe the one semi-mega-base I've done was close. I think you will enjoy robots and what they add in this respect.

e: FWIW in your next game you may want to look at settings for resource distribution. Decreasing frequency and increasing size/richness will create less resource patches, but much larger as you go further out, which helps a lot with scaling up. Just noticed the 45 iron down the bottom left... more like that!

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 20, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

The bronze/brass barrier in Angels/Bobs can suck my dick from the back.

Yeah, they feel like they should be the same item. Instead it's 2 different, entirely too similar icons, and you'll always have too little of the one you actually need in your inventory.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

SubNat posted:

Yeah, they feel like they should be the same item. Instead it's 2 different, entirely too similar icons, and you'll always have too little of the one you actually need in your inventory.

I don't know if it's because i'm playing seablock and had to do it anyhow, but my entire smelting setup is based around the logic network activating parts of it to fill up stores of certain metals that dropped too low. Doing that prevents overproduction and means in cases of shortages overprovisioned production can jump into action to resolve the problem before it can become a problem.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I built myself a personal roboport and 25 construction bots. Going to take some getting used to for sure, but they are pretty drat great for taking down old stuff, especially walls!

I have been using ghost belts to mark out locations and boundaries and just measuring stuff, so if I forget to toggle the roboport off and run across my base it's sort of mayhem.. haha..

Obviously they are going to be fantastic for building stuff with blueprints. I dropped a belt balancer and it just poofed into existence which was pretty awesome.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Locator posted:

I built myself a personal roboport and 25 construction bots. Going to take some getting used to for sure, but they are pretty drat great for taking down old stuff, especially walls!

I have been using ghost belts to mark out locations and boundaries and just measuring stuff, so if I forget to toggle the roboport off and run across my base it's sort of mayhem.. haha..

Obviously they are going to be fantastic for building stuff with blueprints. I dropped a belt balancer and it just poofed into existence which was pretty awesome.

Don't neglect that shift click will put a blueprint down out of your reach and mark obstructions for deletion

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
'Obstructions' also includes cliffs, so if you're wanting to build walls connected to cliffs be careful you don't accidentally shift-click on a cliff and blow it up!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

The Locator posted:

Construction bots are indeed fantastic and they will make your life a lot easier. There's a reason why the achievement for placing more machines via robot than you have manually is called "You're doing it right"

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

FnF posted:

'Obstructions' also includes cliffs, so if you're wanting to build walls connected to cliffs be careful you don't accidentally shift-click on a cliff and blow it up!

Cliffs were made for exploding my friend. Blow them up! I love how you can now make your robots take care of the demolitions.

I'm also hooked on the new cut and copy buttons. I like to make modular production lines and it's super easy to expand them when needed. I also tend to make complex designs only to find that they're one tile off. Cut and paste is a godsend!

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
^^^ I agree, it's a fantastic feature. The one exception being when you're stamping down a block of walls to plug a hole in a set of cliffs, misclick and your robots helpfully make the hole even wider :doh:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Got tired of being annoyed with the lovely concrete texture, made my own that's still lovely but at least doesn't look like the world's least competently-laid cobblestones:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Concretexture

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ratzap posted:

You know you can make labels on the map right? I start by labelling areas with icons so you get a rough idea of layout zoomed out in the map. So a rail icon and 'ore in', a furnace with 'smelt' and so on. You need water so make sure some is close-ish. Don't be scared of running 100 or so underground pipe runs if you need to though. Once you have a rough plan laid out, start building. Labs need to be FAR away from the bus because the chunks making purple and yellow are pretty big. Leave space and do it backwards - lay down the assemblers making the packs first, then feed them with ingredient makers.
Just do a bit at a time and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice! Didn't know you could label the map, in fact. Should help me keep my mental house organized.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Is there a way to place blueprint/ghost structures quickly before construction bots besides just precisely clicking real fast in vanilla?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What are you trying to do?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Just copy paste repetitive structures early game (e.g. multiple circuit assemblers, multiple smelting lines) without clicking precisely so much before robots.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

Just copy paste repetitive structures early game (e.g. multiple circuit assemblers, multiple smelting lines) without clicking precisely so much before robots.

If there is, I don't know it. In my current game where I don't have a personal roboport yet, I just carry one with me to zonk down temporarily

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Is there a way to place blueprint/ghost structures quickly before construction bots besides just precisely clicking real fast in vanilla?

Only for power poles: click and drag will places a power pole on any ghosts. Everything else needs individual clicks without robots.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Click dragging underground pipes will auto-place at max range and only in the line from where they started, too.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Being able to use the Q button for pipette seems to make blueprint setup before bots a lot faster. You still have to click once for each entity but it means you never have to open the inventory.

I’ve found I’ve started to copy/paste even single buildings so I can just pipette it rather than spend the five seconds searching through my inventory.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Being able to use the Q button for pipette seems to make blueprint setup before bots a lot faster. You still have to click once for each entity but it means you never have to open the inventory.

I’ve found I’ve started to copy/paste even single buildings so I can just pipette it rather than spend the five seconds searching through my inventory.

son of a :tizzy:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So random thought while I'm at work and thus cannot test: if you have two types of ammo on a belt and an inserter feeding into a turret, is one type of ammo prioritized over the other? Or does it just eat whatever side of the belt the inserter prefers first and then the other?

I'm slowly erecting far-flung defensive walls to create a huge dead zone to spool up major production, and they're defended by a mix of lasers and turrets fed by the world's longest ammo belt. I have a decent amount of starting uranium ammo, but I also have literally tens of thousands of AP rounds just lying around, doing nothing but waiting to be slowly converted into uranium ammo. I had an idea of flooding the other side of the ammo belt with AP, and having a scenario where ideally turrets first use urianium, but if none is on the belt at the time then they use the AP instead.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Nevets posted:

Click dragging underground pipes will auto-place at max range and only in the line from where they started, too.

That's different. Ghosts of power polls will always place, not just at max range. Underground pipes do not have this behavior.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

So random thought while I'm at work and thus cannot test: if you have two types of ammo on a belt and an inserter feeding into a turret, is one type of ammo prioritized over the other? Or does it just eat whatever side of the belt the inserter prefers first and then the other?

I'm slowly erecting far-flung defensive walls to create a huge dead zone to spool up major production, and they're defended by a mix of lasers and turrets fed by the world's longest ammo belt. I have a decent amount of starting uranium ammo, but I also have literally tens of thousands of AP rounds just lying around, doing nothing but waiting to be slowly converted into uranium ammo. I had an idea of flooding the other side of the ammo belt with AP, and having a scenario where ideally turrets first use urianium, but if none is on the belt at the time then they use the AP instead.

Inserters will take from the close side of the belt first, OR will only continue to fill an existing stack

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

My first rocket launch should be finished shortly. Is there a way to screencap an entire factory to show off my sphagetti? I played first 2 campaign levels, said gently caress it and played on peaceful mode.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Xinlum posted:

My first rocket launch should be finished shortly. Is there a way to screencap an entire factory to show off my sphagetti? I played first 2 campaign levels, said gently caress it and played on peaceful mode.

You can use the console command "/c game.take_screenshot{resolution = {x = 4096, y = 4096}, zoom = 0.25, show_entity_info = true}" to take a large screenshot of your base. You'll have to fiddle around with the x,y, and zoom values to get it to encapsulate your entire base. Make sure you save your game BEFORE using the command as it will disable achievements. After taking the screenshot(s) load the save before using the command and enjoy the rocket sound and animation when you launch it.

e:

Location of file should be in "%appdata%\Factorio\script-output"

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 21, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Evilreaver posted:

Inserters will take from the close side of the belt first, OR will only continue to fill an existing stack

Hmm, so it would work insofar that once uranium rounds on the near side of the belt were exhausted the turrets would switch to AP, but then they'd be stuck refilling AP until the stack ran out and there was none left on the belt. Thanks. Guess I just have to really spool up uranium ammo production, which means a gently caress ton more centrifuges because U-238 is my only bottleneck at this point.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You could preferentially use uranium then fall back to ap with circuits.

By the time you have uranium spun up you shouldn't need to, but you've got circuits options to turn filter inserters on/off based on belt contents that will help your turrets finish up their AP and get full on uranium when it's present again.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I keep forgetting that centrifuges stack to 50 and use this misunderstanding to suddenly have too much uranium processing

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

bigmandan posted:

You can use the console command "/c game.take_screenshot{resolution = {x = 4096, y = 4096}, zoom = 0.25, show_entity_info = true}" to take a large screenshot of your base. You'll have to fiddle around with the x,y, and zoom values to get it to encapsulate your entire base. Make sure you save your game BEFORE using the command as it will disable achievements. After taking the screenshot(s) load the save before using the command and enjoy the rocket sound and animation when you launch it.

This is pretty cool, thanks.

Note that this command saves the file as 'screenshot.png' and just continually overwrites the file, so you need to rename it before using the command again or you lose the old one.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Evilreaver posted:

I keep forgetting that centrifuges stack to 50 and use this misunderstanding to suddenly have too much uranium processing

ITYM you don’t have enough atomic bomb factories

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

What is this?
You either have a demand deficit and need to expand, or you have a supply deficit and need to expand.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Whatever it is you need more of it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Royal W posted:

What is this?
You either have a demand deficit and need to expand, or you have a supply deficit and need to expand.

Essentially impossible to spend down 15k U238 after my ten walls have 20k uranium rounds stockpiled each and I've got two chests of nukes. There is a straight-up demand cap on uranium ammo, once the bugs are subject to artillery exterminatus you can't spend it fast enough

Eventually I find stupid ways to spend the centrifuges themselves, ie having three at each train stop to produce fuel on site

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly do wish I could make walls of U238

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I wish artillery could fire nukes

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

VostokProgram posted:

I wish artillery could fire nukes

Mod for that exists

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any updated sites right now for more easily figuring out ratios of factories? I remember a lot of old .io sites but I have no idea which are current

I'm getting started on laying out track, right now just to find more iron and eventually copper. After that, though? Guess it depends on what I build and where but I still haven't made up much mind on that :sweatdrop:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Evilreaver posted:

I honestly do wish I could make walls of U238

Higher-tier walls would definitely be nice, something like wood -> stone -> steel -> uranium-reinforced steel walls progression. Maybe that's overkill? Pair it with increased biter damage and/or another tier above behemoth, necessitating better walls late game.

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any updated sites right now for more easily figuring out ratios of factories? I remember a lot of old .io sites but I have no idea which are current

I'm getting started on laying out track, right now just to find more iron and eventually copper. After that, though? Guess it depends on what I build and where but I still haven't made up much mind on that :sweatdrop:

https://factoriocheatsheet.com/

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I like this site if you want to set up a production line for a specific item. Make sure to check the settings for your correct version of Factorio.

https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

bigmandan posted:

e:

Location of file should be in "%appdata%\Factorio\script-output"

'/screenshot' also works, doesn't disable achievements, and formats the filename based on the age of your factory.