Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Lordshmee posted:

I know this is probably not remarkable, but I LOVE seeing my map representation of my base. My second. My love. My precious.

This is your creation, your child. It is only appropriate to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love my large adult factory

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I'm into oil in seablock now. I want to die.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

GenericOverusedName posted:

This is your creation, your child. It is only appropriate to love it.

I'll be honest, it'll be hard to love my child if they don't have good train logistics

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

yoloer420 posted:

I'm at whatever the fourth science pack is called and I hate myself.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
∆∆∆
That doesn't look like seablock.

yoloer420 posted:

Just wait until all the metals and half the products need chemicals. Advanced chips alone are an adventure.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mithaldu posted:

∆∆∆

Just wait until all the metals and half the products need chemicals. Advanced chips alone are an adventure.

Its alphabob

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its lack of lamps

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ElMaligno posted:

Its alphabob
Alpha? I've only heard angelbobs before. :)

But yeah, bobs is a thing. With seablock it becomes even worse as space is at such an absolute premium due to the biters.

M_Gargantua posted:

Its lack of lamps
I've really enjoyed this mod. Still costs power, but much less effort due to needing less lamps:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/AfraidOfTheDark

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is there any seablock variant that isn't massively complicated like Bob's? I like the concept, but not the complexity.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

i've heard mention of one, but i've never seen it myself. it'd also be kind of tricky to do given that you need to replace the whole "ores" situation with an alternative.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

∆∆∆

Ugh, yeah I'm working towards advanced circuits now. Honestly I'd love to rip my base down and rebuild it, but without construction bots it's too much work.

I'll just keep expanding out and chipping away at the worms :argh:

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Breetai posted:

Is there any seablock variant that isn't massively complicated like Bob's? I like the concept, but not the complexity.

yeah there is, just not officially updated to 0.17

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/b13mop/017_basic_sea_block_mod_update/

worked fine for me but i didn’t get too far

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

802.11weed posted:

yeah there is, just not officially updated to 0.17

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/b13mop/017_basic_sea_block_mod_update/

worked fine for me but i didn’t get too far

Cheers for that!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:unsmigghh:

(Not mine. Album: https://imgur.com/a/ICb49 )

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Uh... just put everything on the bus wherever completely at random and filter it at the splitters? Why?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That garbage bus speaks to me. It’s gotta take really precise ratios to keep it from jamming up but I’m impressed.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Personal challenge? People also beat the game with inserters only, or never walking (move with belts only).

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm near the end of my AngelBob's SpaceX game right now, the only thing that keeps me sane is my 2500 mk4 logistics bots that can move at 150 kph and carry 20 items. I'm not even belting ore around anymore. The biggest logistical challenge is fluid transfer rates, there's only so much you can speed up chem plants, etc. with modules before you can't pump in fluid fast enough. I'm beginning to think of just connecting all the inputs/outputs to barreling pumps and botting up the fluid production logistics too.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
The hilarious thing is that guy probably spent all the time to carefully engineer it to do that and get it to work just to get people to freak out when they see it, you would have to have a lot of game experience to be able to even conceptualize what you are doing in the first place there let alone successfully launch rockets without it backing up

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Scorps posted:

The hilarious thing is that guy probably spent all the time to carefully engineer it to do that and get it to work just to get people to freak out when they see it, you would have to have a lot of game experience to be able to even conceptualize what you are doing in the first place there let alone successfully launch rockets without it backing up

corgski posted:

That garbage bus speaks to me. It’s gotta take really precise ratios to keep it from jamming up but I’m impressed.

I didn't even really think it through when I first saw it, I just thought "Why?"... then these posts... you guys are right, the amount of math and design to control the inputs would have to be amazing in order for it to not just fill up with stuff that was not being used as much and then jam up. It makes my head hurt just thinking about it now that it's sunk in.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But also they did it to just piss you off:

This serves no purpose other than being complicated, you could just make a straight 180 degree turn without needing to do a loop-de-loop.

Truly an evil genius.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That entire album gives me the exact opposite feeling as when my starter amount of a resource is slowly dwindling and I finally hook up my remote single-item mega production back to my base and suddenly belts are full again.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

This is goddamn amazing and I love everything about it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FISHMANPET posted:

This serves no purpose other than being complicated, you could just make a straight 180 degree turn without needing to do a loop-de-loop.

Truly an evil genius.
It's not turning right, it's turning and flipping so it can be a mirror presumably for reasons about what the outside belts should have on them.

E that picture obviously gave me a stroke, maintaining for posterity.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 27, 2019

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
It looks to me like he manufactures and outputs goods in one direction and then the loop flips them so the side is preserved going down the belt? It probably has something to do with being able to know where an item "is" on the bus to remove it down the line with circuit logic. It definitely was specifically engineered to drive people crazy IMO though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zedprime posted:

It's not turning right, it's turning and flipping so it can be a mirror presumably for reasons about what the outside belts should have on them.

look at which belts map to which other belts. The one on the outside stays on the outside

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

corgski posted:

You keep loops from jamming by putting a single lane balancer in. The air gap it creates, and immediately fills, ensures the belt keeps moving even if it's entirely full.

I learned this because it's necessary if you do a naive loop for putting angelbobs ore processing in little space.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

FISHMANPET posted:

Truly an evil genius.

Look at the length of the path each belt takes.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Wow, finally a game about recyclable processing. Hope they got the greasy pizza box detector research though, or else there'll be so many fines they'll repo the rocket

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Unrelatedly, I did some quick number-touching and a vanilla locomotive (600 kW) with 3 nuclear rocket fuel thingos (full fuel inventory) can run continuously for just over 100 minutes before it runs out of fuel.

A 1.2 MW nuclear locomotive with a full loadout (50 cells) can run for almost 93 hours driving time.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I tried sandbox mode for the first time and with the creative mode mod it's really easy to play around with ideas and designs. So instead of doing it in the stock game, I now have a blueprint for a coal to lube plant that I know will produce 6k lube a minute and 180 fuel cubes. It uses almost exactly one yellow belt of coal so I know how many I to stamp out to use whatever I'm digging up. The fuel cubes feed the steam boilers and the rest would easily be enough to power the whole thing if I didn't feel like running out power cables.

I spent longer tidying the thing up (a tile less here, a re-arrangement there) than making it work but that's factorio.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Finally got around to launching a rocket in my second factory. 92 hours in. I sent some fish into space.

Next project is to build the satellite building area to give the rockets payloads and start doing space science for the very first time.

I've got a nice nuclear plant up and running. I gave up on figuring it all out from the game information and plopped down a blueprint which works perfectly, and now I understand how it works so can do something goofy and ugly next time. I've got 4 reactors online with 6 more built and ready to spin up whenever I need them. Current factory pulls 250MW steady now, and I am running 100% on the nuclear plant, but I still have 180MW of steam plant and 160MW of solar which I disconnected just to get the nuclear plant all-up and check it out. Since my plant isn't set up to save fuel with fancy circuits, no point in using the solar again until I get close to the 480MW of the current plant output. The steam plant is on a switch and comes on when the accumulators drop to 20% and remain on until they are 80%.

I'm feeding uranium rounds to my defense wall belt, and slowly adding the robo-network all the way around as I am adding artillery turrets.

The bugs seem to disapprove of my artillery.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Hey tutorial campaign: If you are going to force me to build my base in a tight space, why would you NOT give me splitters and underground belts?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's supposed to make it simpler for newbies. But yeah if you're used to playing the game already missing out on undergrounds is really painful.
You can fake the splitters at least by using belt-to-belt inserters.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1696573836

An 88 hour game to finish 0.17, the most on an unmodded one yet for me and I'm still playing it. Factorio has gotten even better with 0.17, rebuilding parts and fiddling with builds is just easy/fun. I remember reaching this stage in earlier versions and stopping, mostly because rebuilding bits and optimising was fairly annoying. The new BP tools are just superb at keeping me entertained without it being a chore.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
From the "recommend me a game" thread because it amused me:

McFrugal posted:

Can someone recommend me a good wilderness survival game?

grate deceiver posted:

Seconding Factorio, probably the best simulation of wilderness struggling to survive out there.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
It took me a second to get the funny, but only because I was blowing up trees and paving paradise to put up a parking lot.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's like when a flash flood creates a garbage river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's like when a flash flood creates a garbage river.

My main bus has 4 blue belts running full

Full of what?

Yep, 4 blue belts. Full.