Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

Loaders have filters built in

loaders be cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Dietrich posted:

Do you guys like the filter inserter output approach or do you prefer to unload on single belts into filtered splitters?

Thinking about it seriously for a second, I'd want each of the plates to have a dedicated output; regardless what this is feeding into (bus, train stop, dedicated factory), I've got places to send these already and if mixed belts are called for I do the mixing right before the consumers.

e: also I'm assuming that I'm chaining at least 4-6 of these together; even if I start with one or two I want to be able to come back later and tile it.

Coal and stone need to be moved to to raw materials handling to be blended into established feeds, same with Uranium but I generally wind up with that separated from the main receiving railyard which accepts deliveries from mining outposts.

So I'd say filter inserters for sure, filter stack for each type of plate, and for ease of tiling a normal filter inserter set to raw stone, coal, and uranium since those are coming much less densely. Run that through a splitter to remove the uranium and then split stone or coal off with another splitter when you get to a consumer feed.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 25, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Early to mid game, do you produce plastic at your refinery, centrally somewhere near the bus, or locally where it's used? On one hand I don't want to bus it because it takes twice the space of coal, but on the other hand the actual amount used isn't huge until later in the game. Just curious to hear what people do.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The amount of space you save in coal vs plastic is never going to outweigh the annoyance of having to turn it into useful plastic on site every time.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, you're either busing coal + petrol or plastic. I prefer the latter.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've never even considered making plastic anywhere except either a refinery where the oil comes in, or at coal fields using liquefaction. They either get belted or put on a train from there to the bus.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Dietrich posted:

loaders be cheating.

That's just like, your opinion, man

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

My Refineries are usually: Oil, Iron, Coal & Water In - Plastic, Solid Fuel, Sulfuric Acid & Lube Out.

I'm testing out sulfur on the main bus so I can make all the good weapons at home, and it saves me shipping Iron out to the refinery - I can make acid off the bus and train it from there to Uranium mines.

My current bus is at 24 lanes and has me re-evaluating the concept of a "Starter base"

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Odd question: does anyone know a mod off the top of their head that would make it so I can only create robot frames manually? It's taking forever to ramp up production now that I'm going to bots.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What exactly do you mean by that? A mod that makes robot frames only require hand-craftable components?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ariza posted:

Odd question: does anyone know a mod off the top of their head that would make it so I can only create robot frames manually? It's taking forever to ramp up production now that I'm going to bots.

Yeah, it would seem to me that expanded parallel automation would be the solution to make that process faster, not sure what you are actually after here.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Frames are the bottleneck in making them by hand because they take like 10 or 20 seconds or something dumb so I'm guessing he means something that lets you do it faster? Maybe? Iunno I'm playing language decoder here.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
You can't make the intermediate engine component by hand. Maybe that's the problem they're having?

But, yeah... One of those engine factories can supply two roboframe factories which is now faster than by hand could do.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Sorry, that must have not been clear. The issue I'm having is robot frames are strictly craftable manually for some reason. I'm not sure if it was adding/removing a bunch of mods, as that was the only thing I did. Last time I had an issue with something weird, it turned out a mod maker had changed something unrelated because he thinks that's how the game should be. Didn't know if there was a popular mod that made that change for some reason.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Ariza posted:

Sorry, that must have not been clear. The issue I'm having is robot frames are strictly craftable manually for some reason. I'm not sure if it was adding/removing a bunch of mods, as that was the only thing I did. Last time I had an issue with something weird, it turned out a mod maker had changed something unrelated because he thinks that's how the game should be. Didn't know if there was a popular mod that made that change for some reason.

Adding and then removing a mod shouldn't have any lasting effect on the craftability of something. Only being able to handcraft... basically anything in Factorio is kind of super weird.

What version Factorio / mods are you running?

e: And if you mouse over the recipe, what does it list for "made in" and/or "total raw"?

Loren1350 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 29, 2019

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Saw some interesting comments on the Steam post for the latest friday facts #301 (only looked today).

twitch.tv/donmoozer posted:

i never play with mods , its a form of cheating in some way
And this quote of someone who replied to them

allo posted:

@DonMoozer Let's theory-craft a bit. The Angel's mods plus Bob's mods (wombo) combo is like chewing on nails. With your gums. It's not easy, it hurts like hell, and it takes a very long time to get anywhere. It's like Factorio on steroids, PCP, and HGH. All at once. Having played many hours of Factorio myself, I decided to give it a shot a month or two ago. I quit Factorio altogether after about a week, though I made decent progress. Was I cheating? According to your definition, sure. But not because I wanted an easier game, not a god drat chance in hell.

I won't tell you that mods aren't cheating, because frankly they are. But I'm more than happy to tell you that your decision to not give them a shot because of your apparent moral high ground is (IMO) naive and somewhat childish. I'm sorry, I really don't want to be rude and name-call, but I also really want you to enjoy everything this game has to offer. And what it has to offer in great supply is mods.

How can ones opinions be this wrong? Mods make the game more fun. And why would someone ever think they were 'cheating', especially if they add additional content.

Also, bobs+angels is some of the best modded fun I've had.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Ambaire posted:

How can ones opinions be this wrong? Mods make the game more fun. And why would someone ever think they were 'cheating', especially if they add additional content.

Also, bobs+angels is some of the best modded fun I've had.

Agreeing with your sentiment 100%, and agreeing that BobAngels is really fun (and thank you to the Goon who recommended Krastorio--that's been a good one thus far as well). But to address why mods could be considered cheating, Krastorio (and/or SqueakThrough, perhaps) completely eliminate the player collision with pipes and underground pipes. Underground belts extend much further than vanilla, and underground pipes go vastly further than vanilla. The logistical challenge of running pipes and belts through your base is greatly eased by these changes.

Big Chests and Warehouses that occupy multiple squares make unloading/loading trains considerably faster, and Loaders themselves obsolete Inserters pretty rapidly. Inserters that can go around corners, or deliver at diagonals. These all reduce or completely eliminate some of the logistical challenges set in place by the limitations of vanilla--I can understand how someone unfamiliar with the mods could assert that as cheating!

But the complexity in recipes and the new materials to work with, in my opinion, far outweigh these hiccups. And you can always self-impose challenges like "no Loaders" or "no Warehouses." To each their own! :)

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
It's a stretch to argue the concept of modifying the rules in a non competitive, single player game as cheating. I sometimes watch watch streams of the guy who made HTN and he will turn up long reach so he can pick up stuff from across the map which is somewhat suspect. That is until you consider the real game to be designing elaborate production pipelines and circuit logic.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It's pretty funny that in a game that's specifically designed in a way that makes modding incredibly flexible and powerful (and is supported by the company directly through the mod portal), people think that using that part of the design is somehow cheating.

Modding allows owners of the game to make the game harder or easier to suit themselves, without affecting anyone else, and in doing so retain interest in the game. Not sure how that's cheating regardless of how they do it.

Is a player who spends all their time in creative mode figuring out the best possible way to design a part of a factory cheating?

People are strange.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's fine to limit yourself to a restricted toolset if that's your thing but to pretend it makes you morally superior is loving stupid and is indicative of a problem a lot of nerds have: they're obsessed with finding the canonical and correct way to do things. There's only one ~true~ way to play the game and it's unmodded, as God the devs intended. There's also some other weird stuff in there, like being upset that other people don't make themselves jump through the same hoops you do and that somehow invalidates your effort :psyduck:

The game had (and in some places still has) design issues. One example is barrels - introduced as a workaround to the difficulty of moving oil long distances in pipes, but done hastily with poorly-adjusted stack size such that it's far more efficient to transport and store it as barrels than as a fluid. That didn't get properly dealt with until rail tankers were added to the base game, after a mod did it first. The same thing with barrelling fluids other than oil.

An issue which persists is the disconnect between the power of belt lanes and the clumsiness of the tools you have to manipulate them. Sure it's not hard (and can be a bit fun) to make mini belt spaghetti to get stuff loaded on to the side you want, but after 5 minutes it's a solved problem and is just a fiddly pain in the rear end slowing you down when you're trying to do more interesting stuff. It's a bit better now that splitters have filters to help take stuff off shared belts but I still think that some sort of way to toggle which side of a belt an inserter places items on should be a base feature.

Edit: on reflection the canonicity thing might just be because nerds love arguing but are poo poo at it so just go for an appeal to authority as an easy win

Edit 2: "might" not "must"

GotLag fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 3, 2019

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Mods are cheating only if you use them to get achievements, also the only person being cheated is yourself.

e: Oh, also for speedrunning, obvs

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Foehammer posted:

Mods are cheating only if you use them to get achievements, also the only person being cheated is yourself.

e: Oh, also for speedrunning, obvs

I like the mod that adds more achievements.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
canonicity is about shared experience. people who post about video games on forums really care about this

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

GotLag posted:

It's fine to limit yourself to a restricted toolset if that's your thing but to pretend it makes you morally superior is loving stupid and is indicative of a problem a lot of nerds have: they're obsessed with finding the canonical and correct way to do things. There's only one ~true~ way to play the game and it's unmodded, as God the devs intended. There's also some other weird stuff in there, like being upset that other people don't make themselves jump through the same hoops you do and that somehow invalidates your effort :psyduck:

The game had (and in some places still has) design issues. One example is barrels - introduced as a workaround to the difficulty of moving oil long distances in pipes, but done hastily with poorly-adjusted stack size such that it's far more efficient to transport and store it as barrels than as a fluid. That didn't get properly dealt with until rail tankers were added to the base game, after a mod did it first. The same thing with barrelling fluids other than oil.

An issue which persists is the disconnect between the power of belt lanes and the clumsiness of the tools you have to manipulate them. Sure it's not hard (and can be a bit fun) to make mini belt spaghetti to get stuff loaded on to the side you want, but after 5 minutes it's a solved problem and is just a fiddly pain in the rear end slowing you down when you're trying to do more interesting stuff. It's a bit better now that splitters have filters to help take stuff off shared belts but I still think that some sort of way to toggle which side of a belt an inserter places items on should be a base feature.

Edit: on reflection the canonicity thing must just be because nerds love arguing but are poo poo at it so just go for an appeal to authority as an easy win

That's a really cool way of looking at it. Thank you for articulating it! :)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Your opinion on mods should be comparable to your opinion on difficulty settings.

A strong opinion about how others should use them is...strange.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
cheating is strictly changing difficulty

and changing difficulty is accessibility features

gently caress people who get upset about any of these outside of explicit consensual competition

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
When I posted that, I did so for a bit of a laugh, but instead there was an entire thought provoking discussion about it. Thank you for that.

Sometimes it's interesting to think about the consequences of free will and how me posting that caused 9 people to post stuff they probably wouldn't have otherwise. Or was it deterministically posted all along and I never had any free will in the first place? :aaaaa:

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Ambaire posted:

When I posted that, I did so for a bit of a laugh, but instead there was an entire thought provoking discussion about it. Thank you for that.

Sometimes it's interesting to think about the consequences of free will and how me posting that caused 9 people to post stuff they probably wouldn't have otherwise. Or was it deterministically posted all along and I never had any free will in the first place? :aaaaa:

Depends what mods you have installed.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Depends what mods you have installed.

Hm. None. Last time I really played Factorio was a few months ago.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Oh boy do I have an opinion about Ambaire''s post, let me tell you.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
why do people have a problem with rad rear end cheat codes all of a sudden

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

i wish cheat codes still were ... codes, instead of being sold as single-use dlc

anyhow, gameplay question: got a pretty big nuclear plant, but the water is a little ways away and i honestly have no idea what the correct way to provide it with water is. how do i figure out when i need to add more pumps, and when i need to lay more water pipes, and when i need to add pumps and whatever?

for the moment i just randomly flail at it and hope for the best

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Bring water with trains. You've already got nuclear fuel going to the station, you know what to do.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah for any distance trains are significantly better at transporting water than long pipe segments and pumps.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I am cheating on my current map (or would be if I needed to) by using waterfill. Works like landfill but makes water!

I don't need to do this yet for my current nuclear setup as I'm just landfilling the area for the nuclear plants over a giant lake. :v:

Unfortunately I failed at proper planning so I didn't leave enough gap between each set of reactors so my pumps were too close together so it's a bit ugly instead of nice and neat like I would like it to be when I flipped the blueprint instead of just tiling it.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Mithaldu posted:

i wish cheat codes still were ... codes, instead of being sold as single-use dlc

Quake had a console back in 1996 and every time another new AAA game comes out without one it's a SLAP IN THE FACE, BLIZZARD.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

utamaru posted:

why do people have a problem with rad rear end cheat codes all of a sudden

Because modders do for free what paid devs do poorly for money. See Stellaris, Wow, Skyrim, Fallout 3/NV/4 etc etc etc

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mercrom posted:

canonicity is about shared experience. people who post about video games on forums really care about this

I don't know, I think there's a strong current of exclusivity to it. Unless you mean sharing the experience of being part of an elite group

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

to be clear, this is my nuclear situation:

i don't think those distances merit trains, but at the same time i had trouble feeding it

putting those water tanks closer to it and a pump on them seems to have helped though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Good gravy clean up those pipes that are all connected to one another. A pipe is supposed to be ideally one in one out, you've made some kind of horrible pipe-matrix near your pumps. It's no wonder they don't work. I'm ashamed for you.

More seriously: feeding into a storage tank closer to where the water will be used is usually good, as pipes try to equalize the % fluid, so putting a tank near where it's used kind of acts like a pump all on its own. The real thing actual pumps get you is one-way flow.

What you're probably running into is that you need more pipe inputs to your line of turbines, they're kind of like belts in that they have limited flow, and if the first 10-15 heat exchangers next to the pipes are eating all the water, it doesn't matter how many pumps you put near the lake, they'll never fill the turbine pipes up.

Try new input pipes about halfway down your heat exchanger stack. Each offshore pump should be able to feed ~10 heat exchangers no problem, but if it's branching off to multiple other pipes and mixing with fluid pressure from other pumps/pipes, it'll starve sooner (unintuitive, yes; but that's Factorio fluids for you)

You should really only need 8 offshore pumps to feed those 8 stacks of ~10 heat exchangers (unless it's modded, which it looks like yours might be? Maybe the ratio is worse?). Try putting a unique pipe line from each offshore pump to each heat exchanger stack without crossing the streams.

That is one of the oversights of vanilla Factorio too: boilers/heat exchangers don't tell you how MUCH water they use per second in their information panel. An offshore pump produces 1200 water/s. How much does an individual boiler/heat exchanger use? Who knows!