Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Krastorio has been a lot of fun. I just got blue science done, and my base is a mess. I love it.

I turned off biters, though. I'm enjoying a peaceful pace figuring all the new stuff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
not sure if it's been mentioned here, but there's a hella sweet mod called "warptorio2" (its a fan extension of warptorio)

you build your base on this multi-level platform that's constantly jumping between worlds. there's a ton of upgrades that gradually expands your base, and it runs more like a frantic turret defense, really changes up gameplay

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I haven't started a game from scratch for a while, but i recently did a (normal enemies setting) 15 hour run, and didn't find the biters too bad, but i set up automated production of ammo and turrets about as early as i could leave red and green science unattended. I got a bit lucky since water was covering about 2/3 of the angles to my base, but i just set up belted ammo to them once it was a bother to restock the turrets manually. Definitely lost a few buildings to biters before i could really ramp up defense production though.

I would probably turn off biters if i were trying to learn the game or wanted to make a megabase game, since at some point it's really just 1 hour every 10 or so of clearing out nests with a tank or going ham with artillery (edit: and ~5-50% of your production into ammo/turrets/walls/repairs etc). I have a 130 hour save with ~400 rocket launches done where i'm still not quite sure whether it would be more efficient to lay a bunch more track down to send an artillery train to every border of my cleared area to wait at until it's got no more targets, or set up placed artillery and run an ammo train to each one periodically. Either way making artillery ammo en masse is got dang expensive and i still can't put out two full blue belts of red circuits without massively expanding production of every basic item

Scouting with artillery shells is baller as gently caress though, and they look so pretty mid flight on the radar :allears:

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 14, 2019

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

crime weed posted:

not sure if it's been mentioned here, but there's a hella sweet mod called "warptorio2" (its a fan extension of warptorio)

you build your base on this multi-level platform that's constantly jumping between worlds. there's a ton of upgrades that gradually expands your base, and it runs more like a frantic turret defense, really changes up gameplay

This has been SO much fun. I'm only about an hour into it, having some trouble finding resources on some of the warps. Do you play with RSO on or off?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

This has been SO much fun. I'm only about an hour into it, having some trouble finding resources on some of the warps. Do you play with RSO on or off?
:hfive:

from what ive gathered about RSO, is that it generally favours more spread-out patches, and reduces patches in your starting zones (could be wrong), so i'd recommend playing with it off

that being said, certain planets you warp to will be rich with specific types of resources, and poor in others (or they'll be missing the resources entirely). i built up a copper/iron/water buffer to compensate, personally

also, to anyone starting out on the mod, i reccomend making a beeline to the "planet teleporter" tech (its like 30 red science, after logistics) --- its super cool+good!!!!!

(this is a mod i really wanna try co-op now, i feel like it'd be a lot of fun)

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ahhh so that’s what it means when you warp and it says “There’s the usual critters and riches, but something is missing.”

Thanks for the recommendation! It’s helping me think more creatively about smaller setups.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Power Walrus posted:

Ahhh so that’s what it means when you warp and it says “There’s the usual critters and riches, but something is missing.”

Thanks for the recommendation! It’s helping me think more creatively about smaller setups.

It's not messing either. I gave it a try and 12 minutes in the first biters arrive... Chill assholes! I don't even have power set up yet to research turrets.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The biters are super ornery in Warptorio2. I'm having a ton of fun with it. It's really manic, and it gets really neat when you start building up your warp fortress.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

I've gotta stop reading about cool new mods; I'm belts-deep in krastorio right now and I can't get distracted!

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

crime weed posted:

:hfive:

from what ive gathered about RSO, is that it generally favours more spread-out patches, and reduces patches in your starting zones (could be wrong), so i'd recommend playing with it off

That did the trick! Also important, if playing Warptorio2, do not use Alien Biomes. Most of the planets generated are Nauvis, and will not include any trees unless it randomly generates an Alien Biomes planet.

After playing for a couple hours, I think I'll start over with cheaper research. It takes forever and a day if you're mostly hand-ferrying resources around to different hoppers and only enough space for 3/4 labs.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

That did the trick! Also important, if playing Warptorio2, do not use Alien Biomes. Most of the planets generated are Nauvis, and will not include any trees unless it randomly generates an Alien Biomes planet.

After playing for a couple hours, I think I'll start over with cheaper research. It takes forever and a day if you're mostly hand-ferrying resources around to different hoppers and only enough space for 3/4 labs.
the trick ive found is to use the boiler room as a research zone, but yeah, it definitely is a bit of a grind

(also you can dynamically switch the direction of the built in loaders in the "map" settings)

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ah, yeah good idea. It'll be a while before you'd need enough boilers to fill that floor. I think lower research costs would go a long way with this mod. It's hard enough not being able to upsize your production. I'm a couple hours into a game, and I'm still plodding around in red science.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Travic posted:

Captain Planet doesn't stand a chance.

Nice thread title.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Power Walrus posted:

Ah, yeah good idea. It'll be a while before you'd need enough boilers to fill that floor. I think lower research costs would go a long way with this mod. It's hard enough not being able to upsize your production. I'm a couple hours into a game, and I'm still plodding around in red science.

A tip for anyone trying it for the first time: be on the platform when the timer hits 0:00. When there's 1 minute left it'll sound a horn noise that keeps going, pick your poo poo up and get on the platform. If you miss the auto warp you're going to have to reload or start again. I tried jumping in the hole it left but nuh-uh, that train has left the station for good.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Solumin posted:

Nice thread title.

Thanks. :cheers:

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

New personal record. I'm of two minds about the oil change. On the one hand it does make the flow of the game better since you're not just dumped into every bit of oil processing all at once, but on the other it locks construction bots behind blue science again which means a lot more base building by hand.

Heavy oil and Lubricant come right after Advanced Oil Processing, but in order to build a sizable swarm of bots the amount of lubricant you need is so minuscule it almost feels like an afterthought. So why have it other than verisimilitude?

Ultimately I guess I prefer the 0.16 science recipes. If the devs are set on having Advanced Oil Processing unlock multiple output for refineries, maybe they could add in some Crude Oil to Heavy Oil recipe. Like the current Oil to Petroleum. One product in, one out, but at a disadvantageous rate, and robots could be moved back to red/green science rather than blue.

Then again I do have a shameful amount of hours played in this game so maybe my perception of where the speedbumps lay is skewed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
FFF featured a giant city map made by one of the community. Was thinking about trying it in multiplayer next week if anyone is interested.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

M_Gargantua posted:

FFF featured a giant city map made by one of the community. Was thinking about trying it in multiplayer next week if anyone is interested.

I have time at the moment but the timezone difference may be a problem.

Guys playing warptorio2, do you warp before the auto mostly? Often? Hardly? Never? I'm finding it difficult to produce enough iron for ammo, let alone research or buildings. I'm still at the beginning (warp 7?) but I keep having to cut and run before getting swamped. I'd prefer to get the most out of every map and stock up on resources but with 10m or so left the waves start eating ammo faster than I can make it.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Ratzap posted:

I have time at the moment but the timezone difference may be a problem.

Guys playing warptorio2, do you warp before the auto mostly? Often? Hardly? Never? I'm finding it difficult to produce enough iron for ammo, let alone research or buildings. I'm still at the beginning (warp 7?) but I keep having to cut and run before getting swamped. I'd prefer to get the most out of every map and stock up on resources but with 10m or so left the waves start eating ammo faster than I can make it.

I run away like a frightened child after, like, the 5th or 6th wave

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ratzap posted:

Iron and coal are really your lifeblood in this mod. I'm nearly at my 20th warp, and I pull up stakes generally 19 - 25 minutes into a planet, or whenever I start seeing more than a few medium biters. Once you start seeing groups with medium biters, big ones are only a few minutes away and it gets out of hand quickly. Are you using your nifty teleporter to belt raw iron/copper into stockpiles? I typically build my smelting snaking around the rim of the warp pad, so they have turret coverage without having to feed extra guns.

Edit: there are some very useful "warp" bullet upgrades that will give you a significant leg up.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 16, 2019

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
once you get enough bullet damage things get easier, but yeah, usually i bail around the 25-35 minute mark, and a ton of buffer chests for ore is pretty much essential

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Right so stop wasting materials and warp to the next one faster. Ok.

My platform is pretty small yet so I'm running around filling chests by hand but yes, I'm using the second floor and researching the third. I had one 'ocean planet' wth no biters which was a pleasant relaxing break.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, unless I'm wrong, there's not a huge penalty for frequent warping. Early on, when you don't have the means to harvest lots of resources quickly, it's better to just reset the biters by warping out.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

It's a pretty fun mod. I installed Schall Ammo Turrets and Big Brother to give me a bit of a leg up, and Stone Water Well because running piping every warp was getting remedial

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Foehammer posted:

It's a pretty fun mod. I installed Schall Ammo Turrets and Big Brother to give me a bit of a leg up, and Stone Water Well because running piping every warp was getting remedial
there's a tech that gives you free water, but it's fairly deep in the tech tree. i feel the first level should probably be up in the green tech zone

filling the boiler room with water tanks is also an option. maybe.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Foehammer posted:

It's hectic though, you can't relax like normal Factorio or treat it like a screen saver with Seablock. I'm just running some QoL mods, if I find myself struggling too much I'll change the mod settings, there's plenty of them.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The Sea Block mod has piqued my interest. This will be my first time nodding factorio. Anything I should know in general, or in relation to Sea Block?

I have been running the latest .17 build in Factorio. Should I keep that for Sea Block, or should I roll back to something previous?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Orvin posted:

The Sea Block mod has piqued my interest. This will be my first time nodding factorio. Anything I should know in general, or in relation to Sea Block?

I have been running the latest .17 build in Factorio. Should I keep that for Sea Block, or should I roll back to something previous?

Don’t play Sea Block as your first mod.

Try Angel + Bobs first (which Seablock uses) and figure out some of the new processing on dry land.

I skipped straight to Seablock after putting a couple hundred hours into the base game, launching a bunch of rockets, getting comfortable, and it is a massive spike in difficulty and sheer annoyance.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Orvin posted:

Or just do it and use the FNEI provided to work out the puzzles. If you want to do it, get the pack from the forum thread for the mod - that contains all the right versions of all the mods it uses and the 'correct' settings for them. Unpack into your mods folder but leave all the individual mods zipped. Don't update the mods after starting either. If there's a new sea block version, get the new pack and use that. Updating bits of it as the authors change them can gently caress you up.

The pack is in the OP of this thread.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This may be a dumb question, but how does Warptorio handle just turning on Peaceful mode? Or is that overwritten as soon as you warp the first time?

I should've loaded in quickstart, I hate the burner phase.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

DelphiAegis posted:

This may be a dumb question, but how does Warptorio handle just turning on Peaceful mode? Or is that overwritten as soon as you warp the first time?

I should've loaded in quickstart, I hate the burner phase.

Good question, dunno but it'd be easy enough to find out. The waves are hard coded anyway so yeah, probably irrelevant.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Ratzap posted:

Right so stop wasting materials and warp to the next one faster. Ok.

My platform is pretty small yet so I'm running around filling chests by hand but yes, I'm using the second floor and researching the third. I had one 'ocean planet' wth no biters which was a pleasant relaxing break.

I waited too long on Warp 2 and got overrun. I had to wait for the biters to dissipate before I could pick up my body and get the gently caress out of there.

Really fun mod!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Started playing this, good game, quick question: will the bugs ignore my powerlines and railroad tracks? They seem to destroy the turrets I've got set up along it but ignore the other two. And seeing as I'm setting the turrets up to protect them...

Playing stable if that matters.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Usually, they will ignore those. There are corner cases though, like if a power pole is in just the wrong spot and blocks their path. Then they'll eat it, though they'll usually go around it. I think there's a chance they'll eat rail if there's nothing else around? Not sure.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They will more or less ignore anything that doesn't produce pollution and isn't a turret/radar unless it's obstructing their way. On occasion they will destroy a pole, just like they will occasionally destroy rocks that obstruct their pathfinding. If you leave a train station undefended, they will probably eventually get to chowing down on the tracks after everything else.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Biters destroy 5 things:

1. you
2. military objects in immediate range (turrets, radars)
3. pollution producers that enraged them at a distance
4. anything that sufficiently impedes their movement (static objects, vehicles, belts that move them around)
5. anything that hurts them (be it weaponry or autonomous vehicles)
6. anything nearby any object from 1-5 when a spitter spits acid at them by way of splash damage

So, powerlines are fine if you don't drop them into a forest. Rails are fine as long as the train running on them doesn't hit a biter, or doesn't have you in it.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't need a turret at every power line is what I'm hearing. Thanks!

Also, reading back through the thread and seeing y'alls discussion I guess I can speak up as a new player. I got through the stable oil stuff fine after I finally figured out what was important and that I didn't need to just keep attaching more storage tanks. Finally just started removing and deleting heavy oil tanks to get rid of it, lol

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 18, 2019

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Worse: You need them along the entire track, if you plan to use the train personally at some point. Otherwise biters will start conolizing closer and closer to the tracks and eventually be close enough that you riding past in a train activates their spitters, who vainly try to spit at the train and just hit the rails.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Just finished my first rocket after taking about four cracks at different factory setups. My head hurts. Never learned how to use logistic bots which probably made my life way harder than it needed to be but here we are.

Final base design. Kept things really clean with a main bus and production branching off the top until about 3/4ths through the game, when I just started loving everything up.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm so damned slow at this game compared to the people who post their finishes here.

My fastest rocket launch was 47:38 into the game, and the slowest (on a Krastorio modded game) was 92.xx

I just plod along very methodically, and continuously allow myself to be distracted from any sort of core objective by whatever shiny object catches my attention in a given play session.

It's funny how different people can enjoy the same game playing what is almost a completely different game in how it's approached and executed.