Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

If having resources wasted on a thing you built by accident is a thing you worry about, just grab the reverse factory mod. ( https://mods.factorio.com/mod/reverse-factory )

It works just fine with mods, since it just looks up the recipe used to make the thing, and spawns that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Freaksaus posted:

Anyone else trying Industrial Revolution?

I'm in the process of setting up green science and so far the biggest hurdle has been finding ways to bring coal to all the inserters. Most specifically the ones taking finished products out assemblers and furnaces. For input I can just split a belt with 1 lane of coal and 1 lane of whatever input I need, but the inserters don't take coal from assemblers even if they need it.

My current idea that I'll try tonight is this (Made with vanilla stuff in a blueprint editor since I'm at work)

Does anyone have any better ideas since all these undergrounds take forever to craft since I only have red science automated so far.

Just put coal on the inside lane of your output belt, and zigzag that through? No undergrounds required that way, and it's not like you need a full belt of this stuff (or if you do, just duplicate the setup and merge the half-belts at the end).

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

Just put coal on the inside lane of your output belt, and zigzag that through? No undergrounds required that way, and it's not like you need a full belt of this stuff (or if you do, just duplicate the setup and merge the half-belts at the end).

This plus another thing I figured out was what I went with. I now have coal running along the output belt on one lane. Using long inserters to pull from assembler to the belt with a normal inserter reversed putting coal from the lane back into the long inserter. I can't wait till I get some electricity but first I think I want to try and automate some stuff because handcrafting takes forever.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A quick and dirty addition to Concretexture - there is now a checkbox to replace the vanilla stone path texture with the vanilla concrete texture:

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The game has started to really slow down as our factory has gotten really big. Never played one map long enough to deal with this before. It's at the point where I have to host the game, because if my buddy hosts it is unplayable for me even if he lowers the game speed. If I host it's perfectly playable, but everything happens maybe 70% as fast as it should. Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

RVT posted:

The game has started to really slow down as our factory has gotten really big. Never played one map long enough to deal with this before. It's at the point where I have to host the game, because if my buddy hosts it is unplayable for me even if he lowers the game speed. If I host it's perfectly playable, but everything happens maybe 70% as fast as it should. Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

You have reached the point where you now need to tear everything down and do things in the least CPU intensive way. This is with lots of beacons and as few belts as possible. Also good rail routing, train AI on poorly planned tracks can kill performance.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

pixaal posted:

You have reached the point where you now need to tear everything down and do things in the least CPU intensive way. This is with lots of beacons and as few belts as possible. Also good rail routing, train AI on poorly planned tracks can kill performance.

Wow, tearing everything down would be quite a job and sorta kill the feeling of progress. I'll think about it though.

How do I determine if I have good rail routing? I have a fairly robust 4 lane system in most of the base, but I don't know what does or doesn't cause problems for the AI.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RVT posted:

Wow, tearing everything down would be quite a job and sorta kill the feeling of progress. I'll think about it though.

How do I determine if I have good rail routing? I have a fairly robust 4 lane system in most of the base, but I don't know what does or doesn't cause problems for the AI.

The applicable search term is "UPS", or "updates per second".

There are a lot of guides on how to optimize UPS out there. They tend to be involved.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
If you hit F5 you can see a high level breakdown of what is taking the most time per frame on the left of the screen.

That alone won't help you solve UPS issues but can provide an indication of where the highest impact will be.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Neatest UPS saver I've seen recently is deactivating the inserters that take plates out of smelters by having them read their filter from a wire, and having the wire be empty except for one tick every X, where X is the speed it takes to smelt one full stack.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Industrial Revolution.png

I want to automate everything, but even temporary setups feel like they require a lot of things which means lots of handcrafting because you haven't automated yet. And then you notice another thing you want to automate first and ...

At least I finally have green science fully automated now. Time to look for iron and finally get some electricity!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I tried industrial revolution and it felt strange.

The need for coal everywhere should be a fun challenge.
But then you have those millions of intermediate steps, which discourage early automation.

So I built a green science setup where only most of my assemblers and half of my inserters got coal delivered.
And I finished researching electricity before having to refill them. Even the first setup I built for automating belts, didn't run out of coal.

So despite the looks, the optimal strategy seem still to be hand-feeding until you got electricity setup.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Neatest UPS saver I've seen recently is deactivating the inserters that take plates out of smelters by having them read their filter from a wire, and having the wire be empty except for one tick every X, where X is the speed it takes to smelt one full stack.

Gotta be careful with circuits, too. Poor usage can severely impact UPS at scale.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I've heard of this one but I have to imagine it's a tiny optimization, has anyone measured it?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

RVT posted:

The game has started to really slow down as our factory has gotten really big.

How big is your base? I've taken bases well beyond what a sane person would build and never had any issues.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

RVT posted:

1) Go into the settings menu and disable most of the graphical flares
2) Unless they're still interesting, consider cheating to destroy all the biters / biter expansion
3) Try using wired internet. This has a surprisingly large effect in my local multiplayer games vs house wifi, and my wifi is pretty good.
4) Consider more CPU-efficient factory designs. Information on this has varied throughout the game's history as they've optimized different bits - for instance it used to be a thing to replace all your belts with underground belts, but not so much anymore.
- Beacons will let you use fewer of other things, including the CPU. Plus it'll give you a whole new round to design things.
- Bots and roboports are less CPU-intensive than inserters loading onto belts, such as at trainstops.
- An enormous array of solars uses less CPU then a bunch of steam engines.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

necrotic posted:

If you hit F5 you can see a high level breakdown of what is taking the most time per frame on the left of the screen.

That alone won't help you solve UPS issues but can provide an indication of where the highest impact will be.

If you're running mods, then definitely this. (Bottleneck is a particularly popular one that can be nasty in terms of efficiency when scaled.)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Minor graphical tweak to Concretexture: hazard stripes brightened up after complaints they were too faded

Changed valve recipes in Flow Control to use iron plates instead of steel, for compatibility with IndustrialRevolution and because there was no compelling reason for them to use steel.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I finally got around to finishing my "no-bots"* factory. One blue belt of science each, 2700 science per minute. The UPS drops below 30 and once the buffers are empty, my railsystem will probably collapse.

It was a fun challenge, much more interesting then any mod I have tried yet.

Trying to belt nuclear fuel for the trains can become quite hilarious. The bottleneck is actually not the production, because uranium is cheap. But cleaning up the trash from minor adjustments to the stations. You can quickly generate multiple trainloads of trash. Especially because my recycling moves the trash to the hub first. Then a different train moves the excessive raw materials to the various production facilities.

*No bots, means not logistics bots in the active parts of the factory. I use bot mining and a bot based make-everything hub and trash system.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

What speed/productivity for drills do blue belts become insufficient? Does outputting directly onto a splitter double that?

Does anyone do the technique where you have mining drills point straight into a cargo wagon?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
With 3x Speed module 3's you get a base speed of 1.25 items/second. Each lane in a blue belt moves 22.5 items/second. At productivity 180 (1800% bonus) you can fill a single lane with a single miner. If you surround the miner with 12x beacons full of level 3 modules you get 4.25/s base, bringing the productivity level required down to 43. Fully surrounding with beacons means you can't have a miner on each side, though. You can get 10 beacons still, at 3.75/s and level 50 for saturation.

Outputting directly onto a splitter does not double as it still hits only one lane in the splitter.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 20, 2019

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

ShadowHawk posted:

Does anyone do the technique where you have mining drills point straight into a cargo wagon?

love 2 have a buffer size of 0

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

love 2 have a buffer size of 0

If your mining productivity is higher than the levels I posted going straight into a cargo wagon is better. Especially since if you're at that scale the UPS benefit is huge from having 0 belts or inserters involved.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

ShadowHawk posted:

What speed/productivity for drills do blue belts become insufficient? Does outputting directly onto a splitter double that?

Let's answer the first question in the nerdiest way possible.

So some back of the napkin math here - an electric drill will output 0.5 ore/second. Blue belt throughput is 45 items/second, so to fill both sides of a blue belt "normally" you'd need 90 miners, 45 on each side - the 45 number is what we're looking at here, and to keep the math looking neat, I'm going to refer to the base drill speed as 1 (even though it's actually 0.5) and the target output rate as 45 (even though it's actually 22.5 items/second).

At this is really just some basic algebra
Where S is equal to the bonus speed (with 100% being equal to 1) and P is equal to bonus productivity,
45 (our target rate) = 1 (base rate) * (1 + S) * (1 + P).

The maximum possible speed you can get on a single miner in vanilla is 12 beacons (600%) + 3 speed modules (150%), for 750% bonus speed (or 850% total speed).
At maximum speed, this means your miner would be spitting out 8.5x the base rate - still short of the target rate of 45. So to get the total amount of productivity, we just divide 45 by the current speed (8.5).
45 / 8.5 = ~5.2941, or ~529.41% total productivity and 429.41 bonus productivity. At 10% per productivity research, this means you'd need 43 levels of mining productivity research to beat out the maximum throughput of one side of a belt

Let's say you're not using beacons and only adding in the three speed modules - in this case, your total speed is 250%, so you'd need a grand total of 1800% productivity, or 170 levels of mining productivity research to oversaturate a belt with a single miner.

In practice, well before this becomes remotely an issue you're not going to care. By the time you have the resources and productivity to do things like create an entire ore mining outpost with speed modules and have the productivity to worry about a single lane of miners filling up a blue belt, it's simple enough to output directly to provider chests and let bots do the work.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

I read that first sentence thinking I was in a martial arts thread and boy was I confused.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

necrotic posted:

With 3x Speed module 3's you get a base speed of 1.25 items/second. Each lane in a blue belt moves 22.5 items/second. At productivity 180 (1800% bonus) you can fill a single lane with a single miner. If you surround the miner with 12x beacons full of level 3 modules you get 4.25/s base, bringing the productivity level required down to 43. Fully surrounding with beacons means you can't have a miner on each side, though. You can get 10 beacons still, at 3.75/s and level 50 for saturation.

Outputting directly onto a splitter does not double as it still hits only one lane in the splitter.
I think the answer for "when you definitely shouldn't use belts" is anything larger than half this number, as at that point at least one of your 2 drills in sequence will start idling.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Renamer to be significantly less janky and also properly support using enter/escape to save/cancel. Also added a reset button to undo unsaved changes without closing the GUI.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

How does one prevent biter nests from re-spawning in previously cleared areas?

I had a very nice choke point that was well defended. But I desperately need the coal thats way out there in the open wild. I go on excursions to clear a path, set up outposts with walls and turrets and radar. I'm building a road up there now. But every time I go back there's several "new" biter nests that were not previously on my map.

I've read that nests are formed by biters that go out and morph into them or something. So I guess I have to keep them out? The task is daunting given the area.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
biters decide where to try and nest next by seeing how much stuff you or they built into a given area, then choose a suitably empty one and send a squad there, who'll transform into spawners. so yeah, you either need to plop down enough stuff to deter them, or build a turret line of some sort. for ease of deployment laser turrets are nice, but if you overdo them they'll overwhelm your power net with passive drain.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When you clear nest, drop 2 turrets and wall them off. That will take care of most biter expansion.

You don't actually need to defend an area that trains travel through. Biters won't attack non-military things that don't produce pollution unless they're in their way or something that they do want to kill is nearby. It's still a good idea to keep biters cleared out because nests in your pollution cloud are a problem and nests outside it aren't.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
at the start leaving rails undefended works. once your evo factor is > 70% or so, it becomes a roullette because you driving by in a train will activate dormant mobile spitters who'll attack you, in the train, and hit the rails, eventually destroying them

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Ooh, 0.17 hit stable.

I am now very tempted to start an Industrial Revolution game... any suggested mods for it? Like does it get complex enough that I'll want that mod that breaks down how to make things, or is that more for angelbob type mods?

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I stopped my solo Industrial Revolution run to start one with a few others that were looking to start a game in the factorio discord. We're doing it with expensive recipes, but even with that I've found it a good middle ground between vanilla and Angels & Bobs. We're getting pretty close to launching a rocket in IR (only yellow science left) and the only stuff I couldn't instantly find with the built in search was how to make titanium.

I would highly recommend using Even Distribution at least, being able to easily spread items to assemblers makes the early game so much better. It's the only extra mod we are using apart from IR itself.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Magus42 posted:

I am now very tempted to start an Industrial Revolution game... any suggested mods for it? Like does it get complex enough that I'll want that mod that breaks down how to make things, or is that more for angelbob type mods?

I'm approaching hour 18 on my IR game but playing it more like a screensaver. I decided to ghetto the burner part out of boxes and manual refills (mostly) and bee line iron for electricity. Building anything in numbers is a long process though due to the many intermediates and parts. So I deleted the bugs on the map, turned off expansion and just let it grind away in the background crafting and sciencing.

You don't need FNEI, it's not that complex but I'm using even distribution, FARL, YARM and vehicle snap. Warehousing is built in.

It's a very pretty mod and he even has new sounds but quick it is not. Probably lends itself to co-op play well.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

How does one prevent biter nests from re-spawning in previously cleared areas?

I had a very nice choke point that was well defended. But I desperately need the coal thats way out there in the open wild. I go on excursions to clear a path, set up outposts with walls and turrets and radar. I'm building a road up there now. But every time I go back there's several "new" biter nests that were not previously on my map.

I've read that nests are formed by biters that go out and morph into them or something. So I guess I have to keep them out? The task is daunting given the area.

Biters have to get somewhere in person to build nests. If they die on the way to where they want to build a nest then no new nests.

One of my goals is to clear then just wall in big areas. When I need new land it's time to expand my curtain wall of walls and turrets.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Biters have to get somewhere in person to build nests. If they die on the way to where they want to build a nest then no new nests.

One of my goals is to clear then just wall in big areas. When I need new land it's time to expand my curtain wall of walls and turrets.

I was thinking about factorio today at work, and decided I'd stock up on supplies, then roll out to expand by laying down blueprinted defensive elements. Walls, turrets, belt + inserters, and a central ammo chest for each section. I've been manually doing all my defensive work until now and it's lame.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

I was thinking about factorio today at work, and decided I'd stock up on supplies, then roll out to expand by laying down blueprinted defensive elements. Walls, turrets, belt + inserters, and a central ammo chest for each section. I've been manually doing all my defensive work until now and it's lame.

This is Factorio, friend.

You automate everything.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So this is the current mess of our Industrial Revolution base:

There's still some train stations from early on that require locs on both sides. Stations that are no longer used, etc. We've got a main bus with all the science on the left side and several item factories on the right. These are all huuge spaghetti messes because everything requires just a ton of components.

Here's an old shot of our inserter production

We've been slowly moving all our smelting to offsite locations for space and expansion reasons, we still haven't started on yellow science since all we were doing today was moving and fixing stuff and everytime one thing was done some old mine finally ran out which turned into a new fix ....

I really can't wait to get some requester chests but I'm having a lot of fun with this.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Blue science in IR looks refreshingly simple after the huge blob miltary turned into. I have a pretty modest set of 10 labs but keeping that fed with mil tech means 30 ore crushers, 12 assemblers and then 6 more to build the packs themselves. Red belt is needed to get all the rocks required and the crushed crap fed in (direct would have been too big and messy). Start coal ran out so I ran belt from a patch nearby but too close to bother training in.
Finally I have cliff explosives, time to flatten some very irritating rocks. Below is what I'm working with:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Didn't quite realize just how much slower IR is until I played a few hours last night.

The graphics of everything are gorgeous though. I love the assemblers. Haven't quite figured out yet what to automate other than some basic materials so I spend less time hand-crafting plates and bars.