Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Hey all, stopped playing Factorio for a year ish due to burnout, what absolutely major stuff is new?

Also, what mods should I get for basic QoL stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
- changed science recipes after green
- biters are tougher (even more so with the most recent expieremental release)
- tons of QoL stuff, such as copy/cut/paste/undo with blueprints
- belt throughput is an even 15/30/45 now
- simplified mining speed/hardness crap

I'm sure I missed some other big ones but those really stand out for me.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Was nuclear power around a year ago?

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah nuclear was around a year ago.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really want to try that "cell" factory for my next game. Shame you need to be some autistic savant on train mods to get it working...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VictualSquid posted:

Personally I like building distributed, expandable and train-focused factories.
I do like big well-planed efficient megafactories.

But then I see things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzQge6pe2o

I.. uh.... :psyboom:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ok, I'm starting up seablock again. Last time I did this in .16 put in 20 active hours and 40 inactive hours and got a very pretty geode setup.

I'm starting off with bots. I'm about this close to saying fuckit and rolling with longreach. This is my bonzai tree.

L

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A saturated belt is a sign that you aren't consuming enough of something. Build more.

A non-saturated belt is a sign that you aren't producing enough of something. Build more.

There is a concept of building perfect ratios for inputs and output but yeah, the answer is still build more.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

This is my bonzai tree.

I have never been able to articulate the feeling of factorio until this moment.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I decided I didn't want to pay a lot of attention to dropping miners in the starting patches, but I wanted all of those delicious resources.

Behold, pasta before smelting, even!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I picked up Industrial Revolution after the talk about buses led into discussing it, and I'm having a loving blast. However I'm about 43 hours in and haven't found a gold or uranium patch yet; I checked before starting and read that RSO is compatible with IR. Is this consistent with other folks' experiences and I basically need to Go Farther, or is something hinky?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

So I picked up Industrial Revolution after the talk about buses led into discussing it, and I'm having a loving blast. However I'm about 43 hours in and haven't found a gold or uranium patch yet; I checked before starting and read that RSO is compatible with IR. Is this consistent with other folks' experiences and I basically need to Go Farther, or is something hinky?

I left RSO out of my game and left it on the stock generation. Gold and uranium are present but not what you'd call terrifically close.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I put it on railworld and had gold closer than iron, lol

But there are a ton of iron patches and only the one gold so far.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even just a single gold patch is going to last forever, you barely use the stuff.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The lovely mods never stop:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/NightvisionToggles

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Haven't posted because my best friend and I are 100 hours into a .17 base and are just finishing off our "5 min train ride to large ore patches" stage of biter clearing and making satellite nuclear power. I think my wife left a few dozen hours ago.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
wife left hours ago now it's just me and a friend playing trains

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xik posted:

wife left hours ago now it's just me and a friend playing trains

"Honey, I'm going to the store. Would you like me to get you anything?"

"Yeah, a bunch of green circuits so I can handcraft some signals and combinators"

"The liquor store, not The Mall..."

"It's ok, Franks already on it. He'll pass by for me when he's done with petrochem"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I train so much that I automate signals, chain signals, and stations asap.

E: I have a totally sweet intersection called the death spiral. it used to be more sense, but the latest version was widened to improve throughput and give each direction the ability to reverse within the intersection. if I widen it more, I think it approaches theoretical max throughput for a four way intersection.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Factorio: I think my wife left me a few dozen hours ago.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Factorio: I think my wife left me a few dozen hours ago.

edit: though really the Captain Planet title is too perfect to change

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We're playing on expensive mode which kind of makes me want to die :(

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Maybe I shouldn't play Factorio. I made a save file and sped through 24 hours and 47 minutes of playtime at once and I'm jonesing for more.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Personally I like building distributed, expandable and train-focused factories.
I do like big well-planed efficient megafactories.

But then I see things like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzQge6pe2o

Amazing

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Surprised to see IR list squeak through as an incompatible mod. Has anyone tried using both?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Squeak Through makes procedural changes to pretty much every building, so it's not a surprise for it to be incompatible with a complex mod.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm extremely dense and slow off the mark so I've only just realised now that a turbine plugged in to a boiler is a very effective way to dispose of wood, even when your power demand is almost flatlined.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I do not understand nuclear power at all. Please help.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The Reactor turns fuel cells into heat.
The Heat Exchanger turns heat into steam.
The Turbine turns steam into electricity.

Reactors make more heat if they're next to other working reactors, but a single reactor is already sufficient for anything below megabase scale. You will need a lot of exchangers and turbines for a single reactor.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I outsource it to the nuclear engineer that I often am playing with.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Jabor posted:

The Reactor turns fuel cells into heat.
The Heat Exchanger turns heat into steam.
The Turbine turns steam into electricity.

Reactors make more heat if they're next to other working reactors, but a single reactor is already sufficient for anything below megabase scale. You will need a lot of exchangers and turbines for a single reactor.
Okay, this makes sense! Thanks. I guess I'll just build and not worry too much.

Mr. Powers posted:

I guess I'll just add "befriend nuclear engineer who will play Factorio with me" to my to-do list. :v:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

NachtSieger posted:

I guess I'll just add "befriend nuclear engineer who will play Factorio with me" to my to-do list. :v:

Per Factorio: All nuclear engineers will play Factorio. It's a 1:1 ratio.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr. Powers posted:

The main web site has a set of blueprints for scaleable power. I made my own a few times then just started using his, they're optimized to bits.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=208&t=47556

It's not been updated for a while because it doesn't need it. It just works. Plonk down 2 first then as you have more resource or need more power plop the other blueprints over the top.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why they didn't make any 10 or 12 reactor designs?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Good grief, IR burner phase lasts forever. I let it idle for an hour to unlock electric grid because I didn't realize I needed to set up iron before I could use any of it. Oh well. Making the new item chains is interesting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's pretty great. Though things get a lot simpler once you get electric inserters set up, and your only burner tech is the assemblers themselves.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why they didn't make any 10 or 12 reactor designs?

I am hardly a nuclear expert but scaling up to 10 reactors made heat pipes a nightmare. It's probably easier to make things scale up to the ratios needed for 8 reactors than to anything higher.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'd like to understand why, but i guess i'll just make 4 of those.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
As you add reactors, you need more and more heat pipes and heat exchangers in a smaller area. The heat pipes have the same issues with throughput over distance as regular pipes. It becomes harder and harder to cram everything in there

What do you mean by build 4 of them? 4 of the 8 reactor layouts? That's 4.5GW. What do you need all that power for? You'd almost certainly be better served by using solar at that scale. Anything that uses that much power is going to have some big UPS demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, i actually understand that explanation. :)

And i play pymods. I've also been extending my solar, but extending nuclear is faster.