Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Gonna be honest, I can barely stand to play those extension mods because they are all named after some rando's screen name. What's so wrong about naming something in a manner that describes the mod? I'd feel stupid trying to get people to download my DaveTech mod.
But also they felt more like ingredient adders and less like interesting-tool-additions. All that extra stuff needs to lead to interesting things to play with, not just different shortcuts for the same outcome. I want mega-lasers and nukes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ratzap posted:

Not so fast sunshine... for trains you must first pass Oil 101, then the Joy of steel works and engines for every man.

I put together a very temporary disasterpiece to get plastics earlier, I'm guessing one of these products that I'm not using yet is how I get the fuel for the locomotives. I'll work that out next.

(ed) And yeah steel production is unbussed at the moment, debating whether I'll actually need that to have it's own bus or not still.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 3, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

I put together a very temporary disasterpiece to get plastics earlier, I'm guessing one of these products that I'm not using yet is how I get the fuel for the locomotives. I'll work that out next.

I think you can use any fuel, like coal, wood or solid fuel.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think you can use any fuel, like coal, wood or solid fuel.

Plastic specifically requires coal unless something has been changed in the last few months.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ModeSix posted:

Plastic specifically requires coal unless something has been changed in the last few months.

Locomotive fuel.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think he meant the train cars, 'cos yeah that's how I just got fuel into my engines.

Got two engines, one on each end, and a cargo car in the middle on the tracks. Got a train stop at each end, all the tracks are connected, but the train is whingeing that there's no path. Hrm.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ambaire posted:

I have noticed one weird interaction with the water generation. When it's 'only starting area', it generates this weird patchwork of desert and grassland with just dead trees everywhere, but on any other setting you get true deserts or dense forests and grasslands. I only tried about 6 iterations of each but it's consistent.

Yep, that's a thing. Kinda makes sense that there'd be a lot of deserts if there's no water too.

Ratzap posted:

Not so fast sunshine... for trains you must first pass Oil 101, then the Joy of steel works and engines for every man.

I don't think you need oil for trains though? Train's and tracks only require stone, steel, and iron. I don't think they even take any copper. I always get oil for laser turrets up first anyways.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, the stops have to be on the right relative to the direction of travel, that makes sense now.

I DID ANOTHER DUMB THING

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

minutes later, the train failed to stop

five were killed

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ciaphas posted:

five were killed

Was the train okay?
Autistic Reporter: Train Thankfully Unharmed In Crash That Killed One Man

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

five were killed

i don't know why you need to build rocket defences when you can just encircle your base with murder machines

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if electric trains will become a thing, eventually. Powered third rail, which means you would have to build crossings where you want to walk across it or Zzzzzztt. Would make a great biter defense too if you layered enough of them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lack of Gravitas posted:

i don't know why you need to build rocket defences when you can just encircle your base with murder machines

Do spitters attack trains? Could you actually make a train that's just shy of a complete loop and set it to chasing its tail until you tell it to stop? I've never gotten around to trains, so I don't know much about them.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Is there anything better than the tank for killing biters? Explosive and solid rounds are having very little effect compared to their earlier splatting. They started really small but, I guess my pillaging has consequences and now they're large and blue.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Drive over them, bait them into big piles of laser turrets.

Invest in the little drone capsule things, and power armour + personal laser defense modules

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lohli posted:

Drive over them, bait them into big piles of laser turrets.

Invest in the little drone capsule things, and power armour +
Sure, all good advice

quote:

personal laser defense modules

But not this. Combat shotgun with all the speed and damage upgrades and the best ammo: this is the path to doing good damage to biters. You dump everything into shields and speed when you reach the power armor, because the laser defense can't keep up with the shotgun for dps.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So I'm doing a no-aliens craftable artifacts game to later set up a crazy rapid rocket launch factory, and uh...

I'm not sure if this is a warning to never play with very low terrain segmentation, or a warning that your pollution always reaches out farther than you realize.

EDIT: Or why you don't use 120 steam engines and forget Solar Power exists.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 3, 2016

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Toast Museum posted:

Do spitters attack trains? Could you actually make a train that's just shy of a complete loop and set it to chasing its tail until you tell it to stop? I've never gotten around to trains, so I don't know much about them.

I actually have no idea, I've only just figured out how to automate green science :v:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

That would be a mighty looonnnnggg train.

Why not just play in peaceful mode?

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 3, 2016

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Krysmphoenix posted:

So I'm doing a no-aliens craftable artifacts game to later set up a crazy rapid rocket launch factory, and uh...

I'm not sure if this is a warning to never play with very low terrain segmentation, or a warning that your pollution always reaches out farther than you realize.

Remember that biters eat pollution. If you had aliens on the map, then the pollution wouldn't reach nearly as far (of course, you'd also have a bunch of really pissed off aliens in the process, so...)

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Can someone please mod in the smog demon from ferngully

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ModeSix posted:

That would be a mighty looonnnnggg train.

Why not just play in peaceful mode?

I usually do. I'm just curious whether it'd actually work.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I did it, I went 24 hours without playing! Hooray for willpower.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

I usually do. I'm just curious whether it'd actually work.

It's an interesting question, I may have to try it out, just to see what happens.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

ModeSix posted:

It's an interesting question, I may have to try it out, just to see what happens.

Just based on the things I have seen my supply trains do, I think it would work until you had to deal with big biters.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Wouldn't one long train lack the speed to crush bugs efficiently? If you're going train-defense, it might be better to make them into multiple, smaller trains, perhaps even go for a frogger-like setup with multiple tracks and trains coming and going at intervals.

Of course that also means having to navigate your own train hell whenever you want to go anywhere.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Wow. I feel so loving stupid. After playing this game for 100+ hours, I only now realized that burner inserters refuel themselves when inserting coal. So, the problem I had with my power system is that the boiler inserters were electric powered and they would turn off when the grid crashed, preventing the system from being able to run since the inserters couldn't put coal in the boilers anymore. To get aroudn this I always had a separate turbine running those inserters, and the electric network was tricky and sometimes I would accidentally connect them together and then get a blackout.

And all I had to do was use loving burner inserters, those "why are they even in the game" inserters, because I didn't realize they would refuel themselves. I kept running around putting coal in them by hand.

God dammit. I love this game.

:negative:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cosmik Debris posted:

Wow. I feel so loving stupid. After playing this game for 100+ hours, I only now realized that burner inserters refuel themselves when inserting coal. So, the problem I had with my power system is that the boiler inserters were electric powered and they would turn off when the grid crashed, preventing the system from being able to run since the inserters couldn't put coal in the boilers anymore. To get aroudn this I always had a separate turbine running those inserters, and the electric network was tricky and sometimes I would accidentally connect them together and then get a blackout.

And all I had to do was use loving burner inserters, those "why are they even in the game" inserters, because I didn't realize they would refuel themselves. I kept running around putting coal in them by hand.

God dammit. I love this game.

:negative:

I remember when that feature was added. Check this out:

code:
CC>v
CC-v
1 burner miner + 1 burner arm + 3 belts = THE COAL MINES ITSELF

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I remember when that feature was added. Check this out:

code:
CC>v
CC-v
1 burner miner + 1 burner arm + 3 belts = THE COAL MINES ITSELF

This trick gets even niftier when you realize that you can replace the burner inserter and the belts with another burner miner instead.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I use a similar setup for early-game coal mining: two burner miners outputting into each other. When you need coal, just ctrl+click them to get all of their coal. You can keep adding miners, too. 4 miners makes a circle, then keep expanding -- though I think you'll have everything set up by then and won't need the coal mining circlejerk.

I've seen a lot of people in this thread complain about oil production. Is it really that bad? I've never had trouble with it myself, though I'll admit my setups are not necessarily optimal or totally automated. (As in, I occasionally may have to clear out excess light oil/lubricant/etc.)

If you're really worried about accumulating too much light oil or whatever, just hook it up to a steam engine.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Just barrel everything and build your own Yucca Mountain complex with steel chests

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I don't think it's that Oil production is hard or tricky, but it is very different than everything before it, and managing pipes is harder than managing belts. The good news at least is that 90% of Oil production is "have we turned it into Petroleum Gas yet?" and the other 10% is "how much Heavy Oil am I converting to Lubricant?"

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Krysmphoenix posted:

It's because you're in the middle of a desert. Pollution gets progressively reduced on tiles that are grassland, and further reduced for each tree present on a given tile. Deserts have no intrinsic impact on pollution and tend to have very few trees, so pollution spreads pretty far over it. Only thing worse is ocean.

e: in regards to oil: First thing you should do with blue science is get advanced oil production, and first thing you should do with that is set up 2 (or more) chemical plants cracking light oil into petroleum. Heavy is at least useful for lubricant.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 3, 2016

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Moddington posted:

This trick gets even niftier when you realize that you can replace the burner inserter and the belts with another burner miner instead.

No, I can't - there's no coal there. The idea isn't unattended mining of two stacks of coal, it's to set up a coal supply for my boilers without needing to run power to it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

President Ark posted:

It's because you're in the middle of a desert. Pollution gets progressively reduced on tiles that are grassland, and further reduced for each tree present on a given tile. Deserts have no intrinsic impact on pollution and tend to have very few trees, so pollution spreads pretty far over it. Only thing worse is ocean.

Bodies of water absorb pollution as it passes over them. It was in one of the friday facts things I think.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
If you're not paving the planet with concrete, you're playing wrong :colbert:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

How close is this game to being complete? I know they added something resembling an endgame a little bit ago, so is it just small updates and machine additions to an essentially complete game or is there still major mechanical stuff left to be added?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Control Volume posted:

How close is this game to being complete? I know they added something resembling an endgame a little bit ago, so is it just small updates and machine additions to an essentially complete game or is there still major mechanical stuff left to be added?

There is one big endgame phase yet to come (specifically making a space platform once you've launched your rocket). I presume the campaign will be continued too. Other than that it's just going to be tinkering with things.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'll probably hold off until that big update is here then, since I know I'll burn myself out on this game before it ever gets added if I buy it now. Looks boss though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Solumin posted:

I've seen a lot of people in this thread complain about oil production. Is it really that bad? I've never had trouble with it myself, though I'll admit my setups are not necessarily optimal or totally automated. (As in, I occasionally may have to clear out excess light oil/lubricant/etc.)

If you're really worried about accumulating too much light oil or whatever, just hook it up to a steam engine.

It's possible to have a fully automated oil production chain that never requires you to clear anything out, but you need a couple of electric pumps to act as gates, so you need to already have things pretty much set up the "wrong" way first to make electric motors. I could post a screencap of my setup when I get home tonight.