Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Is there a discord for factorio goons?

I've done a few playthroughs and have been making a vanilla+ kinda mod (this is my usual MO with modding), and it's been fun. might be looking for some of that pseudo 3d sprite artwork help maybe! As well as folks to try it out (if they like that sort of thing!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

K8.0 posted:

A lot of mod authors are intolerable spergs. Games forcing user-friendly licenses on mods is a good thing that doesn't happen often enough.

but but but that's my favourite thing about modding

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

To think Roger Ebert said games aren't art

What about performance art?

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Do trees destroyed by explosions emit the same amount of pollution that they would if they were burned?

...would it be complex or difficult to mod nukes to have a perimeter effect which ignites the trees that aren't outright destroyed?

it should be pretty easy

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

It also looks like the base game has some thoughts by adding some basic crash site pieces that can get you going. Including a basic generator, 2 assembly machines (purpose built for cogs and red-science - which isn't implemented, they are basic assembly machines) and a lab that only uses red-science.

I've just done a bit of modding to put them in.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

True, I'm sure a little bit of aesthetic finagling could make them look more like the standard ones, and it'd be a nice start boost option

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

Could you share your mod?

It's currently smushed up with a tonne of other stuff within the mod I'm making. I'll see if I can break it out at some point this weekend.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

There's one up on the portal already that adds them:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Extended_Crashsite

Phew, that's good, it saves me from having to split it out.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I'm working on my own little mod right now.

I'm always a fan of building into and around the core game, extending options, items, content etc so there's more ways to do things.

I also scripted in turret veterancy stuff which was a cool little project.

Check out Factorio Plus mod

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

No I mean in terms of finding a robust and not-performance-heavy way of tracking vehicles and of adding a ticket to them after a set time

My thought would be to have an event polling every 10 seconds or even longer of a list of vehicle objects.

Vehicles would be added to the vehicle object list when they are initially placed/built on the surface.

Then it's a case of tracking how long each has been out for, adding that time per event call and maybe use the position like someone said in a k,v table like:
["vehicle entity"] = {[position] = {x, y}, [stoppedtime] = { t } [isTicketed] = { bool } }

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Updated my mod so trains just randomly pick a colour when made, added bonus is cargo trains can also be coloured.

Also added it so the location of my murdered body is marked on the map.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

If I use a table the structure is probably going to be global.vehicles[unit_number] = (entity, tick, ticketed}
Using a table as key is not recommended as they may be changed in serialisation, and position is already a property of the entity.

However it looks like there may be a way it can be done without having to track vehicles, which is nice.

Yeah, that's better, using entities as a key has been nothing but trouble, using the unit number when possible is a better idea.

I'm looking forward to getting tickets!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

You should definitely release that as a stand alone mod. I'd use it.

Yeah, I'll pluck out some of the scripts that will work well as standalone.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I've split out some script for a helper mod called Find my body

When i was playing with my buddy we'd regularly lose sight and forget where we died, so I created this to mark bodies on the map.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

XkyRauh posted:

I thought corpses evaporated after ~15 minutes, which is what necessitated the "Find My Body" mod in the first place. It sucks losing all your gear because your tank hit a cliff unexpectedly and you drowned in alien loogies.

there is a time_to_live value in the corpse data.raw, it would be super easy to mod it as a setting

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Is there a goon factorio discord? Otherwise I'll make one, It'll be good for modding chat and getting games/testing etc.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

XkyRauh posted:

I thought corpses evaporated after ~15 minutes, which is what necessitated the "Find My Body" mod in the first place. It sucks losing all your gear because your tank hit a cliff unexpectedly and you drowned in alien loogies.
A good idea, I just modded that in so you can make the body expire time longer, or shorter.

Preserve My Body

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Slim Mat posted:

Please do, it seems we lack a focused server. We could use any of the others kicking around but it seems like a lot of chatter.

First question for Discord chat: how do I make a train load/unload setup that pulls evenly?

I've done the needful:

Goontorio

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Wallrod posted:

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-361
1.1 is going to have stations gain a circuitry-compatible 'train limit' setting, where each train heading there or using the station takes up a slot. At long last. The circuit interaction thing could lead to some really complex or interesting setups, but mostly beyond me to be honest. Also some improvements to the tips UI but WATEVA.

The train limit is great, since it's literally the only real issue that frustrated me in my last playthrough.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

deltah posted:

I wish nuclear took more resource upkeep. I had a uranium ore patch I wanted to build over so I've focused on clearing it but now I have dozens of storage chests full of u-235 / u-238 and no real place to use it.

Do you know of any other ways to use the u235/u238

I've been updating my own mod to deal with things like that, like making more u235/u238 ammo recipes, but I'm not sure of any more benign recipes other than combat (akin to real life sadly).

I've also included new battery and solar building that upgrade over time. Again the art is mostly placeholder for many of the buildings but i'm willing to look past that for the moment!

If anyone wants to give it a go and see what they think (it's sort of a krastorio mod but a lot lighter and streamlines, focusing more on options to get to the same destination, rather than grindwork)

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 24, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Also to repost why Solar sucks so much:

Being passive gives solar a lot of benefits, no fuel setup, etc. It isn't as cost effective at the start, but when you get lazy and don't want to set up fuel stations, or rail in stuff to outposts it's super handy.

Still, could do with a few solar tech upgrades, my only beef is you get them and that's it, solar tech is DONE. NO MORE!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

The Locator posted:

Yeah, and it's extremely land hungry as you scale up. My current base is 100% solar and I'm up to about 8GW of solar now, and the solar footprint is much larger than all the rest of the factory combined. I'm seriously considering adding in a mod (Factorio Power Redux) to give me the ability to research better solar & accumulators so I can just start upgrading my vast solar fields instead of just paving the entire planet with them, even though that does work just fine.

Yeah, pretty much, With some additional solar buildings and batteries it definitely becomes more competitive, I've got accumulator 2s (battery banks) and solar panels 1 2 and 3, giving nice large solar array buildings in the mod.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

What are you going to do, upgrade the sun?

Unblock the sun!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

It'd be nice to upgrade the output of solar panels, but make it so the pollution factor of the chunk changes the effectiveness of it (say from 100% to 25% min).

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Dancer posted:

There is a mod for this. I'd link if not on mobile. Comes with the drawback that "polluted" panels are separate entities, and as such don't work well with copy/paste or, more importantly, getting replaced when they're destroyed. If you can work without those two things, you'll be fine.

Yeah I'd thought as much, there is a thing you can do with entities that say what base entity they are if you copy them, although i don't think it works for blueprinting in my own experience. I'll probably have to look for it down the line, or just req it in the dev mod forums

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

GotLag posted:

There isn't a way to flag an entity as blueprinting as something else, but you can catch the events when blueprints are created or an area is copied, and then change the entities in that
It's a pain in the rear end though

Yeah the closest is placeable_by which deals with the dropper tool, which is odd since that's what i'd think of the result when copied by blueprints too.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

After that amount of time I usually throw the difficulty up a bit by doing a few map things. Such as snakey continents, reduce down some resource sizes and up the richness and making the biter bases larger (and further apart).

I've also personally modded my game so weapons don't scale so wildly at the end of game.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

yeah 1.1 has been great, a lot of QoL stuff and nice features. Was spending that time fixing every broken mod thing.

For example, the spaceship assemblers/research machines got yeeted out so you'll have to import them form an older build of the game (for modders)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, I've found that iron and steel is what gets blasted for so much of the game, and then suddenly when you hit purple chips suddenly everything wants red and purple chips and all your copper disappears and you suddenly need 10x more green chips.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Will fill all 8 train cars in six seconds flat. Drawing 1.4GW of power.

Mod is Texugo TA miners, which adds 3 sizes of giant hyper expensive mining drills (named and modeled after Total Annihilation ones). They're great because you can generally just use three or four to cover even a very large ore patch, and when you're being greedy you can module and beacon them to hell much easier than stock miners.

I was gonna say, before I read the post I thought "Big Moho miner energy here"

Arm had the cooler designs tbh

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

at the end of the day all fuel based power plants burn a thing to boil water to make a turbine spin. There no other way to slice it other than combining the turbine + boiler into a "power plant" and allow more esoteric fuel methods that may cut out a middle process (e.g. converting crude oil into solid fuel products).

I think the only thing that'd help make solid fuel have a little more spice to it is if they could have different burning temperatures, so the boiled product can have higher values. but I guess at the end of the day having more joules of energy being used at a constant lower rate will basically surmount to the same thing as blasting it quickly to get a higher temp.

It's interesting because higher temp steam does change the output of things, I have a steam miner that changes the output speed according to the temp of the steam.

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 4, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

From a design point of view, yeah, that is the big problem from steam to nuclear: You get inundated with new things to make, organize and produce uniquely.

The best way to solve it would be to have other systems or objects use some of the items. E.g. I have steam turbine miners which use steam turbines, so it lessens the blow.

Heat pipes and boilers would be nice if there's something, perhaps there are "nuclear energy" like thermal/lava outlets that allow you to connect heat pipes up to them before you have the nuclear power stuff.

There's the whole other slew of things to do with getting uranium ore and processing it, if there were earlier uses for uranium then that would help soften that edge.

Basically you are slamming into a huge wall of STUFF, that you have to 1) set up, 2) process, 3) make a mining station, 4) weird new liquid mining stuff, 5) a bunch new buildings with their own piping systems. There's nowhere you can really slot it into an existing setup, and on top of that you have to produce a whole bunch of unique items that are only really used for just the task of nuclear fuel.

My thought, like mentioned before is to 1) have other uses for uranium possibly BEFORE nuclear power, 2) have uses for turbines/heatpipes/boilers for some world like object to tap heat from, and 3) More uranium recipes (ammo types, fuels, health, tech, etc)

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 5, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

LonsomeSon posted:

Reading about steam-boosted miners makes me hunger for an adaptation for huge mods with extended burner phases to power all or most of the burner stuff by piping steam into it. Sub-nuclear steam furnaces don't really make sense given the temperatures which are supposed to be involved but also my eyes have been replaced by large counter-rotating cogs and my ears have been replaced by vent stacks emitting thick plumes of warm water vapor from condensing steam

I'm currently looking into that stuff in my mod, I already have steam drills that increase their output according to the temperature, you can initially use regular boilers at (160C) so there's a marked increase in productivity when you finally pipe in nuclear steam (500C). And for a middle ground there are geothermal vents around the map that pipe out at (300 C)

I'll be folding in that wonderful heat pipe furnace idea for a high tech furnace, although there could be something said about being able to smelt things with 500-900C temps. But eh, vidyagaem

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I finally figured out train stackers and set up a secondary copper mine, so I'm back on a roll. Overseas campaign is continuing slowly.

No, just an idea/suggestion I floated. It's not in the game and I don't even know if there's a mod for it.

Yeah, as mentioned, it's feasible as a heat-pipe is in input option for power:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Nice. What're you looking at for performance values vs steel & electric?

No idea, my basic thoughts are:

5x (or more) crafting speed
Has to run at 800C or more to work
No modules
Weird 2x5 footprint

I want to look into the energy requirements and if there's scaling of speed to power ratio, this can usually happen with some things, but not all things. So there's def some trial and error

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I finally got some stuff up and running with blockout graphics: A heatpipe furnace, alongside a steam turbine miner.

I've updated my mod with this stuff - mostly i'm updating old dev art sprites with actual 3d modelled sprites (sans colour/anims atm)

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/factorioplus

Fishbus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 10, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm just imagining the steam turbine spinning incredibly fast to suck up ores into a catchment area like a chaotic vacuum.

Meanwhile, how research is made:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Oh boy here I go killing bugs again

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I would like a bug sanctuary mode which is basically just slime rancher but with biters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

deltah posted:

I find biters early game interesting. late game not so much. the fun aspect of factorio to me is automating stuff and I haven't found a satisfying way to automate the clearing of biter bases vs say automating defenses. maybe if artillery range or radar range was longer. an army of spidertrons is probably the best bet though, but still something you have to micro vs automate.

My analysis of it comes down to the power growth between the player and the biters, there becomes a point where both the tools available to you increases and the upgrade tech outstrips the biters in multiple ways.

Reducing that exponential growth would be the number 1 way of tackling the challenge. There are enough extra tools that the player gets that makes them more powerful (and more automated). Secondly would be to add some reason to still come out and take out biter bases with some benefit other than to stop raids (but not necessary - this stops the progression path becoming linear). A way of addressing this would be to have some resource come from biter bases - like a very early verison of the game had pink orbs.

Lastly, it would be a case of bringing in some more biters in to the evolution mix, with different species, resistances, etc.

I love the game, but the combat gets a bit iffy and lazy over time. tighten that up and it will have a great knock on effect.