Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So I'm new and I keep running into an issue where I'm staring at my stuff and I realize everything is built way too cramped and I get the itch to start over, but is there some relatively painless way to just pack up all your poo poo into boxes and rebuild it from zero into a better array?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Poil posted:

Easiest way is to avoid getting it cramped at all costs at the beginning :v:. But if you have construction bots you can use the red blueprint and tell them to dismantle everything.

Yes, hence the itch to restart. But on the other hand, building up all that industry from scratch takes a lot of time too, when I can just put those refineries and smelters into magic boxes.

I'm only up to figuring out how to make plastic so I don't have construction bots yet. :v:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The current art throws me back to the good old days when I'd spend hours in the StarCraft map editor.

Also I did what y'all suggested and just bootstrapped a second base into a different location. I'm playing in peaceful mode so it worked like a charm, no defences to set up or maintain, etc.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Catberry posted:

Pave the world on principle.

Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Who needs a main bus when you can just set up tiny production islands with belts leading into the gaping maw of your central factory? So what if it's such spaghetti that when I went to untangle a part of it I realized I'd unintentionally created a loop that did nothing but take the same set of copper wire on a tour without it ever actually getting used?

One interesting aspect of not having any idea what you are doing is producing an excess and figuring out what to do with it. That leads to all sorts of interesting contraptions ("this section is overflowing with iron plates so I'll draw a belt to feed it into a new workshop here...")

Another thing I've noticed is that having peaceful mode on gives you bad habits since you don't need to worry about defending real estate. But as a learning experience it's worked fine. The bugs actually do inevitably attack you even on peaceful mode, but they are much more tolerant of pollution than I suspect they normally are.

Finally, god blue science is a pain in the rear end.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Update on Baby's First Factorio:

I'm 30% of the way to finishing the rocket. I could rejigger the entire factory to serve the production of rocket parts alone because I have plenty of everything else I need, but it's so much work.

Also, flame throwers and poison capsules erryday.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Time for a little break. Next time do it quicker than 26 hours :v:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Of course the Factorio devs have automatic testing. Of course. :allears:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Loopoo posted:

Even if things carried on in the background, the battery drain would suck, and it'd just make more sense to comfortably sit at a PC when you can.

Can confirm, I played this on a W10 laptop that transforms into a tablet over the weekend and holy gently caress it sucks up battery.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

fezball posted:

switching off steam cloud sync gets you past this (at least it worked for me)

Ditto, just came here to post this.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

You can never produce too many iron plates, green circuits or plastic bars.

Also copper wire. Dear god, so much copper wire.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Don't produce and belt copper wire. It's more efficient to stick with copper plates, belt those around, and then produce copper wires on site for your green chips or whatever.

The copper wire assembly is the only recipe that yields more items than it consumes, so if you're just hauling around wire for wherever you're wasting space.

:aaa:

That makes so much sense. I feel like an idiot now. I guess it's because everything else like said makes sense to belt.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

LEAN makes a lot of sense when capital is expensive and materials on the belt are wasted money that degrades over time. In Factorio, there's no degradation and you'll use everything eventually. Capital is also super cheap and a new production line can be duplicated in seconds in the late game. It kinda throws modern manufacturing/supply chain logic out the window.

I find Lean aesthetically pleasing, so I default to it, but I start a game by building a small spaghettified bootstrapper factory which is churning out and stockpiling everything you might need pre-oil like inserters, fast belts and red and green science. Then after that one's done I start using all of that crap to build actually lean factories to get more complicated crap done and over time the bootstrapper base gets refashioned into a plate or green chip factory or whatever. I think this is what KatherineofSky calls "the mall."

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I finally got a personal roboport up and running for the first time and it feels like I'm playing an entirely different game now. Next step is trains and then circuits because producing science past blue and black takes an unholy amount of everything.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

It's great, I play in zero aliens mode because I don't want to bother with biters in the early to mid game but not having them around in the late game makes it kind of boring. Goon island is ideal because you can decide exactly when you strike out and you have a natural choke to protect the heart of your factory.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 5, 2017

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

That's tempting me to just start over a new factory now, drat.

Red underground belts at 7 distance is cool and good.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

The jump from green to blue and blue to purple science was still a little steep so this smooths the curve out somewhat.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Assemblers can't take raw materials from each other, can they? I'm not sure if I ever tried.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Yup, that's Goon Island and there's plenty of space and resources to get nuclear power and purple and yellow science, even. There's a huge stone deposit on the southern end you can use to make landfill.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46646&p=268073#p268073 :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt the developers intended to make it super easy to erase your save.

Is there a way to reach out to a dev directly? The bug forum moderator is being silly.

"That's not a bug, if you want it changed you need to make a specification change" is the sort of software development bureaucracy that doesn't really have a place when you are developing a game and ordinary people are playing the beta. Jeez.

redleader posted:

Made the mistake of tearing down my entire factory so that I could rebuild it nicer. Now all my assemblers and belts are in neat little chests, and I don't actually have a clear plan for rebuilding nicely ;_;

The perfect factory is the one that exists in my mind. The moment I have to put down any part of it I am making a compromise with reality and it's no longer perfect.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Should be a way to turn oil into gasoline and burn those dinosaurs in a car like God intended.

I guess you can pretend "solid fuel" is gasoline but it doesn't go into tanks or pipes.

I actually tend to use wood I have lying around to power my car, which is sort of a real thing.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I'm on goon island and I've built a glorious spaghetti factory that can churn out some yellow and purple science. Now I wanted to automate the creation of new land to start growing towards the mainland... but turns out you can't blueprint or ghost landfill. :smith:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

GotLag posted:

Now you can!

Note that in order to stop grass from making GBS threads up all your blueprints, this uses a custom tile called "landfill", that when placed is converted to grass. So if you want to blueprint it, you'll need to place some ghost landfill then blueprint that.

Perfect. I built my landbridge to the mainland and it's loving crawling with medium biters. But all I need to do is take a pot shot and dash back to my flamethrower+laser turret corridor of doom. Claiming territory's going to be the tricky part... I am going to need more iron ore sooner than later. :unsmigghh:

Behold, the Indomitable of Industry, the Stronghold of Scorching, Frontier of the Factory:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Is there a way to have my repair bots take a bit of care and not dive to the flames to fix my walls immediately when they a bit of damage?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

There's an island to the southwest with something like a 1–2M patch of stone and a handful of biter nests. It's only a few landfill tiles from being a peninsula, so you can test the waters with the biters on the island and then use it as a solid beachhead for further expansion.

I'm now wishing for a goon archipelago instead of a goon island. That or the ability to create moats. You know, there's probably a mod for that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There really isn't a "right" way to play Factorio.

There are wrong ways, though, like packmuling stuff around the factory yourself. I did that in my first game even very far down the tech tree.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Nuclear has rendered efficiency modules completely obsolete, hasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

seravid posted:

The spawner fix is madness, that one was definitely a feature and not a bug for me.

The Steam forum is full of people talking about how their bases got swarmed by behemoths after installing the latest patch :allears: