Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

IIRC, one wire factory can feed 8 red circuit factories, so that's really the only time you should be belting wire. I recall someone doing an analysis on belting wire for green circuits and it basically only makes sense if you don't have the width to do a 3->2 setup and only use tier 1 assemblers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just a heads up something broke the Landfill mod in 12.7 (everything's fine until you try to place one, then it just exits) so watch out for that if you use it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

I really don't like oil in this game. I'm not sure how I'd change it, and at this point it'd be too weird to just take it out, but I really don't like it. Oil infrastructure is developed in a completely different way than everything else. While everything else is a slow incremental growth, oil brings you to this sudden wall that you have to scale all at once. If you try and incrementally grow oil you're just going to end up with a mess and only be able a few oil buildings. Granted I play at a pretty large scale, but I always end up planning for oil setups with 20-40 refineries and probably hundreds in total of chemical plants. I also don't like the fluid mechanics. Item movement mechanics are very transparent. You can easily see how fast a building is being fed raw materials, how fast it's producing them, where your production line is backing up, where it's being starved, etc etc. The belt movement itself is intuitive, you have space on a belt and items get put in that space and then they move at a certain speed. Fluid mechanics are none of that. You have little influence on how a building gets fed materials, you can't easily see how they're being output, you can't see at a glance where your pipes are at capacity or where they've run dry. You can't see how oil is moving or understand where and how to speed it up. It's just all... wrong.

Maybe you could do away with pipes entirely (except for water), and automatically barrel everything. "Basic" barrels would be free but only hold somewhere around 1-5 units of a fluid, then once you get fluid handling you can make iron barrels (which would hold 10 or 15) and add a 2nd upgrade for steel barrels (which would hold 25 like now or maybe a bit more). This takes away the wall, the spaghetti piping, and even lets you move materials around "by hand" to get advanced oil going. I'd just do this with oil and heavy/light products; leave the pipes in for acid, gas, and water.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The first time you "get" trains, especially with routing and signaling, is so immensely satisfying. My current base has a single depot for coal, iron, copper, oil (using the oil tanker mod), and stone, with a single line in/out and no deadlocks (although the occasional queue happens). Hooking up a new deposit is as simple as plopping a station blueprint, dropping an intersection on my main line, and connecting the two with rails/power. The personal roboport makes this incredibly easy, as well.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Maybe if it only worked with specialized (and appropriately-costed) "hopper" chests, it would be more appropriate. Also making it in 3 flavors to match each belt speed, with corresponding increasing costs, so you'd need to put a ton of resources into unloading a hopper-chest at express belt speed.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I was under the impression this was just for containers (chests, trains) and wouldn't apply to assemblers. Maybe I'm wrong, but if it only applied to containers I don't see how it's that imbalanced.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I like playing with designs that have variable cycles and non-constant demands (something that RSO makes you deal with unless you have huge buffers/trains). Making the day/night cycle really long should just be a simple script, no?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

While on the topic of layouts, here's my current science setup:

And I've settled on this design for electric smelting:

Assuming your trains can provide enough input, you can keep adding belts above and below every 20 furnaces to extend the bus indefinitely (I didn't leave enough room for this here). Right now if my demand is high enough the inputs start to choke around the 15th smelter in each line (blue belts won't help yet, right now it's an issue of moving the ore out of my train chests fast enough). Here's my train depot:

At this point I think the solution might just be more stations (2 or 3 for each of iron/copper) or spacing them apart more and having the inserter/chest setup on each side.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Solumin posted:

You are correct, I should! I have the space and the setup to do it, but keep getting distracted. And then I burnt myself out a little bit with that save....

Nice setup! I like how you handle the electric smelting. I've found that long rows of smelters usually end up with half of them unable to output anything since the belt fills up, but it looks like you handle that pretty well.

Are you using RSO, or have you just managed to deplete nearby ore fields?

I'm using RSO, and also slightly higher than normal richness/size, and slightly lower frequency settings.

More screenshots with commentary for those interested: http://imgur.com/a/CzLz7

Edit: ^^I prefer this layout, it's roboportable, supposedly the "correct" ratio of panels/accumulators, and has room to put belts or just to walk through. (The roboport goes in the upper right, use four of these together to make one "unit"). The edge of the roboport logistics range is right at the edge of the solar panels, and the construction range extends long enough for the bots to be able to place another port.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 10, 2016

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Solumin posted:

I like the grid, it's more aesthetically pleasing. :3: The "roboportable" bit is good, though I often end up using a personal roboport when it comes down to it.

It's more handy because it significantly extends your logistics network, so as soon as you enter the area near the solar panels (if you put a few extra roboports around the edge) your bots will start gathering the materials in your logistics requests. Even if it takes them a while to get to you, it's still better than running all the way back into the core of the base when all you needed was more belts.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've reached the point where the main game is no longer a challenge, so I'm looking for a mod/mods that extend the game without making it "wider". Stuff like the extended research trees that add extra levels of bot speed/capacity, but also looking for something new to do in the rocket-building stage of the game. As-is I've mostly reached the same point I did in DF, where I've mastered the base game and all that's left is to plan out megaprojects.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

This is from the album of my last game, I pretty much just have three blueprints for all rail-related things.

My entire rail system is designed around 1-4-1 trains (one locomotive, 4 cargo cars, and another locomotive - all pointed the same direction) and right-sided driving. If a train starts out in the correct orientation it's impossible for it to get on the "wrong" side of the tracks.

Top bit is a loading station, attached to any junction above or below. Includes the rails, belts, inserters, chests, station, and power poles. Feeding the 4 splitters at the top of the station is an exercise left to the reader (half-assed example on left, not completely balanced). This is actually an older version that I found would potentially plug up if two different trains tried to enter the same station - a pair of signals on each of the diagonal rails right before/after the last curves at the top alleviates this.
The circle is a junction, blueprint includes the power pole, signals, and lights.
Finally there's the straight sections, just rails and power poles. For particularly long blocks I put a few extra signals in the middle to reduce queueing but most of my spur lines have two trains travelling at most, so it's never been a huge issue.

I didn't get a screenshot of the rail yard sorting area, but you can see it in this map:

There is a signal at the head of the split area, one at the end of each diagonal line, and another before and after each actual station area. The straight section right before each station is a queueing area where incoming trains can wait for a station to clear without blocking the sorting area. If I had more than 2-3 outposts of a particular resource going at once (each outpost gets a dedicated train) I'd either add a longer queueing area or more unloading stations. Once oil outposts get down to 0.1/s output I just have one train that goes around and collects from all of them; fresh oil outposts get a dedicated train. The merge area at the exit is all one signal block but there are also extra signals a little farther down to allow outgoing trains to wait for an intersection to clear without blocking the merge area.

Here's the actual unloading stations:

These can unload a full car in about 13 seconds (with max inserter upgrades). I think next game I'm going to leave one more vertical rail space between each station to give enough room for the output belts and power poles to fit in a repeatable manner.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I don't have any experience with them but a smart inserter pulling out of each roboport into an active provider might work?

e: Of course if you have 100 roboports that might take too long to set up, but maybe you could get away with just doing it around the places your robots are most likely to cluster - a central storage area or any other high-traffic roboport.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 15, 2016

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Indecisive posted:

Okay, do I have ANY chance of taking out a big worm midgame (just finished getting blue science online)? The biters established an expansion right outside my base that's been driving me crazy and it has a big worm and medium worm that just wreck me if I go near it. Piercing ammo in my SMG seems to do approximately nothing, throwing a fuckton of grenades seemed to make a dent, maybe I'll just have to make like 50 of those and do a few hit and runs?

Blue Science lets you get Military 3, which lets you get poison capsules, which have a range (due to splash) just longer than a worm's. So you have to carefully edge up to one (probably with a couple turrets nearby for cover) and drop 3-5 poison capsules so they hit the worm, wait a bit for it to die, then creep forward some more if there's more than one.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I've installed this but haven't reached the extra tiers in research yet, so don't know how well it works.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=17033

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Make sure your inserters are pointed the right direction and that they have fuel/power (for burner/non-burner, respectively). This is the setup I typically use, 14 boilers for every 10 steam engines, with a break halfway through the steam engines to allow passage.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

On the subject of cars (and tanks, I guess) has anyone tried using them as giant mobile chests by putting one on a belt? I have no idea how that would work but it sounds fun to try.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I'm moving towards slightly more self-contained designs for factory modules, so my current green science factory will be making all the gears and circuits for belts and inserters in-house. That way I just feed, for example, one iron and one copper line off the main bus into the factory module, and if I need more production I just clonestamp the whole thing next door to double the green science output.

Probably overall I usually end up with somewhere around 6-10 "sets" of 5 assemblers for making green circuits (3 wire, 2 circuit) and eventually upgrade most of them to T3 assemblers with speed modules. I usually put somewhere around 4 of them together just to feed module production (including the red/blue circuits part of it), one or two to feed red circuits for blue science, one for green science, one for general use, and one for inserters/splitters/mines/assembler production.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It has something to do with the fluid mechanics for some reason depending on which tick the game is on, so after a certain number of ticks the pumps will no longer see incoming pressure from the rail cars and refuse to work until replaced (or rotated in place 4 times). It's also why I stopped using it and learned the joy of barrels.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The only way I can think of making blue packs in any serious quantity without mixed* belts would be to have 2 belts on each side of the assemblers, and a 3-tile gap between each pair, with an underground belt feeding the finished products out from the middle.

I've started to use a common setup in new games I call the "utility bus", which is 3 belts and 2-3 rows of factories, something like this:

pre:
Copper/Iron>==============
[W] [C] [W] [C] [W] 
=====>Circuits/Gears>=====
[G] [G] [G] [G] [G]
Iron>=====================
The top belt is one lane of copper and one lane of iron. This spits circuits onto the bottom lane of the middle belt. The bottom belt is just iron, and spits gears onto the top lane of the middle belt. Then I just make all my "utility" products farther down the line, inserting more circuit/gear factories to keep the middle belt packed (and occasionally splicing in another belt of iron/copper as needed - this runs parallel to the main bus). Utility products include belts, splitters, underground belts, inserters, ammo, and later on down the line I can intersperse electric furnaces to make steel for things like power poles. The line can basically be extended indefinitely as long as there's enough supply on the main bus, and pretty much takes care of any product that doesn't need red circuits or oil products (which is actually pretty easy to add later with requester chests). The key point here is that the majority of these things only need iron, copper, circuits, and gears. Output goes to wooden (and later on, passive provider) chests via long inserters, outside the outer belts.

*And by mixed, I just mean one item on each lane of a belt, not just one jumbled belt with items randomly placed

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

As least you knew it right away. One of my first games I played for about 6 hours before realizing I was on an island just big enough that wandering around the starting area didn't clear enough fog to tell. And I didn't know about landfill at the time (not that it would help in your case)

If you had landfill installed at least you could cheat in a small handful of it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I think it's a boundary condition on tick (the water gets consumed first, then pumped in) so when it gets below however much it consumes per tick, there's not enough in there to make the full amount of power. I've actually found there's enough extra water (and heat) to be able to hook up a 21st engine behind each pair of engine banks, to squeeze out a little more power in the early game.

I also throw down an underground pipe between the 5th and 6th boilers in the line just to leave some room for traversing the power plant. Also a good spot to stick some turrets, especially if you can make it a chokepoint on the way to the boilers (biters love attacking the boilers early on).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

What I was saying was (in stock) one pump can feed a little more than 10 steam engines, but not quite 11. So at the end of each two banks of 10 engines, I connect the pipes and run them into an 11th (or 21st, if you count all of both banks) and squeeze a little extra power out.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Once again, repair kits. You want to put repair kits into active chests so the bots spread them around the roboports and storage. Then if you are attacked, they don't have to all traipse back to the same passive box to get a kit.

I tried this once and quickly ended up with about 200 storage chests completely full of the things.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Acceptable. Though having to build an end station for something like that is a rather heavy investment in space and resources.

Couldn't you have a long train but a short platform with multiple sequential stops past the platform, so it unloads 2 or 4 cars at a time?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

My project is almost ready:

Just need to add the pit lane, roboports, belts, the lap timer, and a bit more signage.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Did you put that all down by hand?!

Also, I'm thinking of how awesome Factorio would be if the devs added some sort of road-laying machine. You hop in, start driving, and it'll automatically put down concrete from it's inventory at a designated width you provide. Would allow you to connect outposts via road network which would be fantastic. I hate the current method of hopping in a car and doing it by hand cause I always end up with wonky roads which triggers my OCD.

Laid out a few sections by hand (straight, diagonal, corner), blueprinted them, and connected them together, then did a little bit of hand-editing to smooth over some spots where the blueprints didn't quite connect right. I wasn't keeping count but it took somewhere around 14 carloads of concrete, 2 carloads of landfill, and at least 2 carloads of walls.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Bit late on the auto-burner chat but my preferred method these days is to hook the accumulator signal up to the coal belts. You can do a neat stepped-activation thing by activating the belts into each row of boilers at different power thresholds* (one each at 80%, 60%, 40%, 20% is what I usually do), and since they move a bunch of coal in, the boilers keep running for a while after the power gets back above the threshold, so it goes into recharging the accumulators a little bit.

*I'm sure you could do something fancy with combinators instead of settting each belt individually but it works well enough for me and I rarely put down more than 4 sets of 28-21-2 boilers so I only have four belts to set up.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So pretty much everyone knows about the typical 3:2 wire:circuit build, but I just realized today something else has a 3:2 ratio.

If you can't tell, that's an assembler 1 making circuits and an assembler 2 making wire. This isn't a build you'd use once you're at red belt / early module level but it saves a lot of resources early on for bootstrap builds. Also that green science build will feed 6 assemblers as long as there's a bit more than a full lane of iron plate coming in (side-loading the belt gives a bit extra compression).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

That actually works out to 0.75/sec (blue assemblers) or 1.25/sec (yellow assemblers). But the ratios will still be correct and balanced.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

This. "Never belt copper cable" should be a golden rule of Factorio. It's the only item in the game (aside from wood I guess) where the output takes up more space than the input.

Iron sticks too, but you only ever need those in mass quantity for lamps and rails.

Re: Things to bus - I've found it extremely convenient to have a belt of gears and a belt with one lane of gears / one lane of pipe. The latter feeds into my mall, engine builds, steam stuff, and a few other things. You can put the factory for this at the very beginning of your bus and it's basically 3 lanes of iron equivalent, so I can get away with just having 4 lanes of iron going the rest of the way. Needs an additional non-bus iron source though (I like to feed it from the end of my steel factory once the steel bus gets saturated).

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Eh, pipe is 1-1, so I prefer making it on site. Gears are great to bus though, as the compression is helpful.

It simplifies a lot of builds farther down the bus, which is why I've become a fan of it. For engine builds you just need to bring your mixed belt + steel in, and they're slow enough that unless you're doing super-beaconed ultrabuilds a yellow belt is sufficient (even with needing 2 pipes). You'll probably never need to make more than a steel chest of steam engines, so mixed belt + iron belt is good enough. And it's really nice to throw down an underground-belt mall for pumpjacks, chemical plants, and (if you can slip stone bricks in) refineries.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Thought a bit more about using different tiers to get correct ratios instead of different numbers of machines.

This is ratio-perfect and infinitely extendable (until your belts run out, of course). Replace the speed3 in the level 2 assemblers with a speed1 + speed2 to save a little on materials. Spread the rows apart by two extra spaces and use a long inserter or buffer chest to add beacons. Can also add beacons between on the sides by using extra undergrounds.

edit: Each column will produce a module every 80 seconds.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

Note that if you just replace the lower tier assembly machines with higher ones you'll instantly gain power and pollution efficiency for free. They'll be "unbalanced" but that's often a lot easier than stamping out more power capacity.

I did eventually figure this out when I did the math. I started to do the math for efficiency modules but then realized the top machine is drawing 80% of the total load in the system and that has no room for efficiency so there's not really that much to gain. Might as well slap any spare eff1s you have in the free slots in machines 2+3 though.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Surprised I haven't come across a halloween mod that just makes everything spooky. Lamps -> jack-o-lanterns, inserters -> skeleton arms. Actually that's where I ran out of ideas so that's probably why there isn't such a mod.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Increased bot speed should result in slightly lower overall energy consumption though, because bots also have an idle drain (when out of the roboport). So as long as you can keep your bot queues from getting out of hand (and yes smaller, more focused roboport networks is the way to go for mass items, although there's nothing wrong with a disconnected-from-train-unloading base-wide network for low volume things) you should see better throughput with more bot speed. Biggest benefit of bot speed to me is construction though, since all my heavy roboport networks are short haul (100 tiles or less, generally).

What bot speed do you need for construction bots to be able to keep up with a max speed rocket fuel train?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Strangely I never really seem to get the "all waiting at one roboport" problem but perhaps that's because of my design. What my local networks tend to be is something like:

pre:
============================= Rail (dropoff)
 vvvvvv vvvvvv vvvvvv vvvvvv
*@@@@@@*@@@@@@*@@@@@@*@@@@@@* (Chests)
*[][][][]*[][] [][]*[][][][]* (Roboports)

[Factories and poo poo]

*[][][][]*[][] [][]*[][][][]* (Roboports)
*@@@@@@*@@@@@@*@@@@@@*@@@@@@* (Chests)
 ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
============================= Rail (pickup)
And that two dozen roboports is enough for about 1-2k bots to keep the factory running at full stack inserter speed. Sometimes the input/output stations are stacks of stations, as many as 8, each with a row of chests and roboports.

The key part is the flow of the robots is perpendicular to the placement of the roboport lines, and they tend to be spread out somewhat evenly over the "surface" of the ports.

I was looking for screenshots but all I could really find were bad examples:

Smeltery. This still flows relatively well, since the vast majority of the bot movement is left<->right.

Circuit factory. I guess this is similar in concept, except the trains are a bit farther away than I'd build it now.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

RSO biters are more frequent but smaller bases for the same settings.

Standard:

RSO:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Before the flamethrower got upgraded, my favorite way of dealing with worms was just to drop a pile of poison capsules on them. Since they have an area of effect, you can damage worms from outside their shooting range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Equipment has an internal buffer that will charge before batteries do. If you right click the armor and then hover over internal parts you can see the stuff charging.