Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Honesty belts need an upgrade of some sort given how they’re not competitive at all with bots later in the game. Something like right angle inserters or loaders or 3 output splitters would be a great late game upgrade that would allow for more creative builds rather than bot spam to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Bots have way more throughput than belts in a given amount of space and a lot of that comes down to the limitations of vanilla inserters. Right angle inserters would allow increased density that would make belts competitive with bots (which really wouldn’t benefit from right angle inserters)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

The FFF says that it's a flat 12.5% buff across the board, so 15/30/45 is right.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Making blueprints adapted for the belt speed changes? I can see creative mode items there.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It took several days and three different mods to make it work but I made a rail yard with real shunting action.

It performs worse than a stacker with two unloading stations, and occasionally bugs the gently caress out but I don't care.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

I wouldn't mind an overview of the circuit logic required for that poo poo, too. Not all the nuts and bolts, just the circuits and what they control to allow all that poo poo to happen correctly.

So at each station that requires a pair of locomotives, there's a series of sensors that determine if there are A: any cargo wagons present, B: the correct number of cargo wagons waiting, C: whether or not they contain items. From there it outputs two 16 bit values- one tracking if the station is completely empty, and one if the station meets the requirements to send a locomotive - with the corresponding bit for the track forced high. These all get summed together with the output from the other tracks and then fed into two 16-bit memory banks that generate and apply a bitmask indicating when a train is dispatched (using the dispatcher mod) to that location to prevent multiple trains going to the same location and the thundering herd of locomotives problem.

The actual dispatching of locomotives works using two clock signals, a high frequency clock running at 4Hz and a low frequency clock running at 1/4Hz. The high frequency clock is used to serialize the output of the memory banks and the low frequency clock is used as a track select to blindly iterate over each train in the waiting area.

For sending complete trains to unloading bays and stacking bays I use a similar setup but without the low frequency clock since I can just mask off the stations that I don't want the trains in that position to go to - if they're leaving the stacker I never want them to be sent back to the stacker.

Other than that it's just pathfinder abuse to make sure trains stop in the right spot since automatic coupler and dispatcher don't play nice together.

These are the three mods that are absolutely necessary to make this work:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Inventory%20Sensor
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Automatic_Coupler_016
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Dispatcher

I'll work on capturing video and providing more detailed pictures of the setup tonight.

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 23, 2019

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Here's the video of it running a full cycle. You can see where it bugs out and sends two locomotives to the unloading bay above the one the train we're following is in. I'm assuming it's a desync somewhere between the two clock signals but haven't dug into debugging the circuits too much because it's incredibly frustrating without anything approaching an oscilloscope in-game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe1bUSDDeKs

corgski fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 23, 2019

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Well I softlocked the new tutorial in the most hilarious way possible.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Post that on their forums. Devs are really involved and they'll find that amusing and probably make sure there are extra trees in the future.

I already posted a bug report over there. Sadly it’s currently home to several nerds arguing that softlocking the new player tutorial by shift-clicking the wooden chests (and not providing feedback at all when you put the tutorial in an unwinnable state) is desirable behavior.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Difficulty scaling is hard, making effective tutorials is harder.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Even just 1/2 a yellow belt of iron ore processing for ammo with minimal, mostly hand-fed copper and science assemblers still resulted in over 5k biters knocking on my walls. It's scaled such that the only way to have an "easy" run is to hand-feed everything.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

There's a mod that adds train tunnels but I dunno how good it is.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/traintunnels

It looks really janky since it's teleporting trains to another surface but hopefully there will be more updates that make it feasible.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

That garbage bus speaks to me. It’s gotta take really precise ratios to keep it from jamming up but I’m impressed.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

In honor of 1.0 I forked GotLag’s automatic coupler mod for 0.15 and ported it forward, since the only available port for 0.18 was poorly done. My horrifically inefficient shunting train yard can live again!

Get the mod here: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Signalized_Couplers

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Depths posted:

1.0: Captain Planet is dead

I’m working on a map and modpack for my multiplayer server that is a dense, difficult to traverse jungle (that grows back all through your base if you neglect it) both to encourage a bit of spaghetti instead of perfectly straight sprawling buses and to create some “bad guys from ferngully” vibes.

Someone just needs to rewrite will-o-the-wisps to be multiplayer compatible and it’ll be perfect.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I’m seeing consistent desyncs with wisps. v:shobon:v

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Dancer posted:

Why doesn't wisps work with mp? I have it on an mp server and it's at least present. We haven't gotten very far, so I don't know what the long term intended behaviour is, but wisps are showing up and interacting with us sometimes.

corgski posted:

I’m seeing consistent desyncs with wisps. v:shobon:v

Update: turns out it was an issue with the digitalocean droplet I was running it on, as destroying it and creating a new instance fixed the issue? Weirdly only wisps triggered whatever the problem was, but I suppose bad RAM could manifest that way.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

GotLag posted:

New lovely mod!

Slocomotives

Slows down train acceleration and braking by multiplying train weights by the specified factor (defaults to 5x). I made this because I wanted to see trains that handled like trains and not like rocket sleds.

This is going to throw so many wrenches in my works and I love it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Counterpoint: nobody’s embedded crypto miners in factorio mods yet.

Personally I’d prefer python because I’m more familiar with it, but lua is good enough.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

GotLag posted:

I'm kidding but there is a computer implemented in Factorio circuit logic:
https://github.com/justarandomgeek/factorio-computer

Goddamn. I was burnt out on circuit logic by the time I made my proof of concept shunting rail yard and that was just a bunch of memory cells and some shift registers.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Actually I have one complaint about Lua, the lack of try-catch blocks is really, really annoying.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sloane posted:

did this happen with an ONI mod?
I don’t think it was ever 100% confirmed but the suspect mods were pulled.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/120713-question-about-criptography/

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

KillHour posted:

Observe my works, ye mighty, and despair!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w0v6ULtOcM

Now send trains twice that length through and watch the carnage

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

KillHour posted:

It was designed specifically for those trains and it still took me several iterations (including several after this) to stop all the deadlocks while keeping good throughput.

Fun fact: trains don't stop if they're blocking their own path out of the intersection.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Either way it’s a problem but the no brakes choice at least means more explosions.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I woke up this morning with a spark of inspiration and made a silly mod if anyone is interested.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Burn-Barrel

Use your barreled fluids as fuel, barrel and all!

Features:

• Just yeet those barrels straight into the fire it's fine we're doing this Haliburton style
• Damaged barrels come out, but you can melt them down into more iron plates (if you're Captain Planet)
• Changes solid fuel into asphalt blocks - you can still burn it, but it'll pollute to high heaven and isn't that efficient to boot
• Barrel fuel values should scale with mods that alter barrel capacity
• You can burn lubricant too, I mean why not

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Yeah I thought of that too, and guess what!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

There are definitely mods that add an ammo-turret that takes flamethrower ammo, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt. Although I don't think there's any mechanism for ammunition to return a byproduct so it might be better to make a modded inserter throw the barrels into the field, where they could then explode in a fireball?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Or you finish off a barrel and the turret itself fires the barrel into the field to explode into a fireball.

That is mad max af and I love it.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Yeah, I haven't stopped playing but I'm certainly hoping the game catches an acute case of the hatsune mikus.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Peachfart posted:

What does this even mean???

It became a meme that Minecraft was made by Hatsune Miku after notch turned out to be a shithead.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I did that once and sent my bots into an infinite loop over the ocean because they only path in straight lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

I use burner inserters for bootstrapping power in the early game but by the time I'm really risking brownouts I generally have enough solar to put the inserters for the boilers on a separate (overlapping) grid, such that if the boilers all go down it'll bootstrap itself as soon as the sun comes up.