Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So, uh, is there a way to chat in multiplayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Solumin posted:

Don't you just press Enter? Or T? It's one of those, check the controls.

Voice chat is easier, and setting up a discord server is free.
The hilariously tragic UI answer is that in the options menu the chat key is actually labelled as "Toggle LUA Console"

Somehow this wasn't bound to anything for me. After resetting to defaults it is now ~

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Bundle of Keys posted:

I just started my first blue science assembly line, and holy cow it's eating all my iron and copper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADAxuqnqqQ

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

crusader_complex posted:

This game seems like it would be good for a long plane trip.

Do not start this game before a vacation.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Evilreaver posted:

Ore gets richer as you go further out
Isn't this going to be in vanilla in 0.13?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Will the contents of trains themselves be in the circuit network in the new patch?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ratzap posted:

The last dev post that mentioned it said they are still implementing the train circuit stuff and did not mention contents. They did say that we'd be able to control trains using the content of station chests (among other things). We'll find out if they post again with more details or when 0.13 comes out in a week or two.
Actually it might already work if you have a smart inserter pulling off a train. I think smart inserters are automatically connected to what they unload from (at least if it's a smart/logistics chest, haven't really tested beyond that)

I know in the patch the train stop itself will be connectable to the circuit network. That might be an intuitive place to add the contents of the train. That way you could do fancy things like turn train stops off if they don't have enough stuff to load, allowing trains to skip that destination and keep going.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

I know in the patch the train stop itself will be connectable to the circuit network. That might be an intuitive place to add the contents of the train. That way you could do fancy things like turn train stops off if they don't have enough stuff to load, allowing trains to skip that destination and keep going.
Just reread the blog post and this is indeed how it will work. The train stop will report the contents of a train currently parked there to the circuit network it's attached to, just as if those items were in a connected chest. I'm not sure if this includes the fuel in the train's locomotive, but probably.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I think starting with a "huge" starting area also pushes the monster spawns further away from your initial base, giving you a lot more room.

If you turn down enemy frequency that'll also "delay" them a lot. If you don't kill them by end game the bases will be about as common as normal since they'll build more over time.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Launch 50 diesel locomotives into space

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DarkSol posted:

I've got plenty of solid fuel for both the burner inserters and the boilers for all 30 of them. I have ten boilers for ten steam engines, each fed from a separate pump per ten boilers.
This is not enough. Doublecheck the temperature on your last steam engine, IIRC optimal ratio was 14 boilers to 10 steam engines.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Also protip: tanks can store hot water! This gives you a buffer of electricity in case your fuel supply ever gets spotty.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Dr. Stab posted:

Everything looks fine here. Your prducers cut out because you're producing way more than you're consuming.
If you look at the graph on the right, the orange flatlines at its max for a bit while blue drops to 0. That's consistent with running out of steam power when demand was highest.

Again, check the boilers and temperature.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DarkSol posted:

I guessing I am missing something then, because the "consumption" and "production" metrics in the top left are not intuitive at all. If what you're saying is true, shouldn't those metrics be swapped. In that my power consumption is a fraction of the power produced?
Yes, it's completely non-intuitive and should just be a single bar. Consumption always equals production -- you don't produce the power unless you can use it right then and there.

So what you want is "consumption" to always be full and for production to be not quite full during the night when you run out of accumulator storage.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

My biggest problem with the old train locomotive graphic was that I couldn't easily tell which way it was facing when I was first starting out. Combined with the rather bizarre ability of the game to let you attach train locomotives to cargo wagons backward it left me very confused as to why I couldn't get a train to work despite having locomotives on each end.

I can't tell if the new locomotive graphic is any better, since they only showed a blown up version.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Judging from the number of google results, FAQ entries, and wiki pages, I'm certainly not the only person to have difficulty setting up the train even with locomotives on both ends. I can't be the only person to have gotten stuck playing the interface instead of the game on the train scenario.

Gibbo posted:

I was politely calling him an idiot.
Meanwhile the grownups here can have an informed discussion about how art design can both look good and help make obvious gameplay elements clear rather than hiding them.

Would you install a pusher trains mod if it existed?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

zedprime posted:

From where to where? I have never seen a crude tanker, but I have also lived where just about every drop moves by barge and pipeline.

Mostly in oil boom areas where we haven't yet built pipeline infrastructure, ie frakking country like North Dakota

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

You can also guess where oil is being shipped by rail by just looking at where the proposed pipelines are. EG here's one from North Dakota to Illinois: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/03/10/3758562/iowa-approves-bakken-pipeline/

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

So what's the difference between chain -> chain -> block and just block -> nothing -> block?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

They should have a 0.5% discount next steam sale so the game is $19.99

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

GotLag posted:

It doesn't make that much difference, you still need to get your belts within two tiles of your assemblers/furnaces. It gives you alternative solutions rather than better ones. For example, using side inserters it's less convenient to have two inserters feeding one assembler from the same belt, as you then have to run the belt flush with one side of the assembler, which somewhat precludes feeding it with another belt if you have to unload it to a third. Or you have to use a splitter to send a dedicated line to that one assembler, which adds more bulk. It's a self-balancing addition to the game.

Factorio could just as easily have shipped with 90° inserters only, in which case I'd have people telling me that modding in 180° inserters was removing the challenge from the game.

E: nerf straight-through inserters, they make train loading/unloading too easy
Err wait are you imagining a side-inserters only game? Have you tried that yet?

(apologies if this is already how it works)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Loopoo posted:

reuse them how
You can do some neat logic things. A train station can turn itself off unless it has a load of cargo ready. Filter stack inserters can make it so it's ok if your trains have some wrong cargo at a particular station.

The new circuit mechanics are really fun. I was particularly proud of a joint iron/steel outpost that turned off the steel production whenever there was more of it than plates waiting to be loaded.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

zedprime posted:

I would totally buy a game about electrical distribution though, whether its just an iteration on a logistics boardgame like Ticket to Ride, or an actual full blown sim.
Errr... Power Grid?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I've discovered it's a lot easier to build mass amounts of efficiency modules than solar panels

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

zedprime posted:

Speed modules are best used in conjunction with productivity modules unless you are counting on playing your map for dozens of hours. Here's some ROI calcs which isn't a perfect way of looking at it, but serves the purpose to show that unless you are really dedicated to a mega factory, you may have trouble justifying productivity module use if you launch a rocket and call that map done considering how soon you can get a rocket going after unlocking modules.

Efficiency 1 modules are pretty similar in cost and effect as a single solar panel, so can probably be universally splatted as you recommend. If you want to get specific really only in any assembler that runs flat out, any assembler with downtime means a solar panel would be slightly more universally useful. The basic tradeoff is more steel in a solar panel vs plastic in a module which can advise what you want to do considering what is the shortage in your factory at any given moment.
Note that efficiency modules also reduce pollution, which makes them quite better than solar unless you are completely unafraid of biter evolution :)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

lohli posted:

I'd like to have a dedicated cargo wagon that carries a bunch of the poo poo at my various little mining outposts that can restock repair kits, drones, and replacements for any destroyed buildings.

Is there any way to set it up so that, at least in the case of buildings, stuff only gets pulled out of the wagon when there is actually a building to replace(or so that the wagon itself is a logistics source)? Or is that not something that is doable without mods?

I guess I can just limit the number of things getting pulled out to something small, but I'm trying to avoid having huge caches of replacement buildings located at outposts and was hoping there would be a nicer solution.
There's a neat howto of a cool version of this on the Factorio blog: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-140

You will need to keep at least 1 local copy of everything at each outpost though. But that's not really that burdensome :)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Does anyone else suffer from incredibly long map load times? In multi-player, when anyone connects to the server there was a literal five minute hang for them to load into the map, which I wrote off as terrible connections or their matchmaking server or whatever, but when I loaded the map up in single player it took just as long. The map file itself is only a 20 mb file, which seems to be standard, but I am using a lot of mods. Before I go through one by one and try to troubleshoot I wanted to know if this is a common issue for anyone else?
It's likely that one of your mods is slow.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Gibbo posted:

I look forward to the bug reports related to multithreading.
This is one of the few games ever that seems to be developed with proper software practices (automated test suite!), so it's entirely plausible multithreading will turn out pretty reasonable.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

Isn't sulfuric acid an ingredient in purple circuits? I thought those are important, but I've never been far enough in the game to use them.
It is but one tank can serve as a buffer for enormous amounts of purple circuit production. Sulphiric acid is produced very quickly, and purple circuits very slowly.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ratzap posted:

Don't keep as much acid. You really do not need 10,000 as a buffer. Disconnect input to the acid storage and let the production drain it down then remove some tanks. 1 tank should be plenty and you'll want to divert some sulfur to explosive production (for cluster grenades) but it won't take much.
This is also a good example of how consumers of fluid act like pumps into themselves. Having a thirsty consumer of a fluid upstream (such as a sulfur factory) can dramatically cut the downstream flow.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Toadsmash posted:

Giving you richer resources as you get farther from the starting location (this was the bit that .13 brought into the base game) isn't the only thing RSO does. It also pretty drastically changes the way the patches spawn so that you're a lot more likely to get single larger patches instead of eleventy billion bite size patches. Honestly that bit matters more to me than the former function because the stock game's usual habits drive my OCD reflex batshit insane and make for some seriously fugly (to me anyway) base layouts.

The second function also has the neat side effect of tending to make you take far fewer restarts to get a not godawful starting location spawn.
I seem to remember reading that if you turn resource frequency down in the base game the net effect is much larger (and rarer) patches

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

thedaian posted:

You need to use parallel tracks, setting up stations in series isn't going to work at all.
You might be able to do something with circuits and turn off the first station unless the one behind it has less ore waiting to be picked up.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Loopoo posted:

I'd rather just use speed modules tbh as there'll always be an infinite number of resources. Only pain is shipping them in, but that's not too difficult.
The answer to this kinda depends where you like to spend your time in the game. Laying rail/conveyers and establishing new outposts is most fun? Speed modules. Optimizing factories in confined area? Productivity/efficiency.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Similarly, are there any mods that turn all ores into liquid?

I don't know what sort of madness makes me want an all liquid factory, but, welp, there you are.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Loopoo posted:

Massive biters keep attacking my railway pole lines which means I'm constantly running out into the middle of nowhere to place another pole down otherwise I have outposts with no power.
Don't biters only attack power poles if they've been aggroed by a turret or reached a pollution source already? Check that you don't have some outpost with turrets that keep dying to biters and getting replaced.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

You could always try a great wall of china approach (easier with enormous amounts of water), as when the biters expand they do have to physically travel to their target location and can be killed on the way.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Launching more rockets. Trying to launch a rocket per minute, maybe. Just keep expanding in every direction forever if it makes you happy, maybe. Whatever makes you happy.
Minor quibble: You are likely to be happier if you expand in a single direction.

The reason is that the resource algorithm 1) gives you larger stockpiles the further away from the start you are, and 2) guarantees a particular resource will spawn if you just keep walking, with the longer it takes to spawn yielding a wider patch.

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 28, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I like to make the green circuits remotely and train them in. All you need is a copper/iron field near eachother (and sometimes they're literally on top of eachother)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Psawhn posted:

What I find the most amazing is how simple it is. It doesn't need any power or combinators, just wires. It's also self-balancing, so it doesn't matter if ingredients are used in a 1:1 ratio or not. It just *works*.
Speaking of ratios, I think you can make it bias one product over another without extra programming by just having that input be on a faster belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

I wrote up a todo list for my factorio game today.

Something is strange with how I have my fun.