Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
When I press a quick key, say, 1, it lights up the thing in slot 1 and lets me place it (obviously), but it also prevents me from interacting with things until I select an empty slot- does this mean I have to keep a quick key empty at all times? Seems pretty annoying, so I have to assume I'm missing the 'clear hand' key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Today's lesson: If you're trying to repair a damaged box, be very sure you're clicking correctly to repair it, not collect it.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bettik posted:

I actually don't understand the use of the faster belts - having things travel faster doesn't increase throughput at all, would it? It'd just reduce travel time, which is essentially useless once your system's humming along at full production speed.

Anyone care to explain the value of them to me?

Some things (especially with modules) can use the added speed- if you have 30 furnaces feeding a belt, it can get overwhelmed if it's slow, and with modules some factories can be fed by two blue grabbers and make use of it. I had to upgrade a belt for extra throughput once so far.

Edit:
Also, to expand on "humming along at full speed", if you have a queue of materials then you don't have enough sinks! Make more factories to eat that backlog! Then you'll need the speed to feed the new hungry factories.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 7, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Wahad posted:

Why don't my regular electric inserters put stuff in labs? Do I need a special one?

I've noticed what seems like a bug, if you 'insert' into the corner of something like a lab or factory, sometimes it won't take for reasons I can't fathom yet. Put it into the middle for the most reliable inserting.

E: You know what's a dick move? The end of the campaign, "Make an airplane. Made it? Good, game over! No, you don't get to fly it." :byodood:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 7, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a better way to power your base than solars/steam? I'm getting to the point where I have obscene power demands and huge fields of each ain't cutting it anymore.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, next question, the only way to get artifacts/purple science is by killing alien bases, yea? All the bases around have worms that kill me dead and none of my weapons (upgraded as high as non-artifact weapons go) hurt them at all. I suppose it comes down to which of the Rocket Launcher or Flamethrower is worth getting.

E: Probably the rocket launcher just to have the infrastructure for the rocket defense later

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Bummer. I tried peeling out doughnuts and throwing defenders while shooting my rocket launcher out the window (:dukedog:) but that didn't really work too well- too easy to misjudge a turn and slam into a big biter or stay too long against the worm who has homing spit because of course they do :arghfist:

Walking turrets is easier, safer, and really boring :(

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 10, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man this game can be infuriating sometimes. I'm almost out of iron so I spot a nice big iron patch way in the distance, and start laying track to it... only to find that there are a good 8 worms living there. No spawners, just goddamn worms. I don't have substations yet this time so the turret walk is going to be extra annoying. I suppose the 'no spawners' is a blessing.

Rapacity posted:

The beauty of this game is that you can set up an ammo production line and automatically reload turrets in about 50 different ways.

This really is the best/worst part of the game. There's a hundred ways to do absolutely everything (which is fantastic) EXCEPT combat, in which the turret walk is the only offensive weapon, basically at all. I hope they fix this.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gotdammy posted:

I like how the game tells you how many and what types of trees you murdered in cold blood. :black101:

Even better, each time you are a poo poo driver (like me) and plow over one of your power poles, that counts as a kill!
And when you gently caress up enough poles and ruin your car (I'm a bad driver) that counts as a 'car' kill.

:saddowns:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They need to add Roads (just Stone Brick for basic) that 'grab' the car's steering so you can drive more care-free around your civilized areas. Slap them down like rails and drive from base to base, and you can veer off whenever you want to (active steering taking precedence over passive road steering).

Heck, add an Asphalt via oil refining for a speed boost for rich folks.

I do like that every time I drive back to base in late-game a swarm of robots buzz over and fix my car up. Those bots are some of the best things I've seen in a game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Monkey posted:

I don't really know how I would run out of coal. I've moved over to electric furnaces. Right now the only thing I use it for is fueling my boilers, and they honestly don't take that much.

Do biters only attack things that generate pollution? Can I put a huge solar/accumular array off to the side, and know that I don't have to defend its giant borders?

Biters are attracted to things that pollute and target them to start, but will change their target to Distractors, Constructors, Other Drones/Player, Turrets, and Everything Else in that order if they see them. Once one of them is attacking their chosen target, the rest will randomly target nearby things (if they aren't being actively shot at, that is). They will run past things that aren't their primary target (ie, your solar fields) unless they are blocked, in which case they attack the block (which might be your solar field).

Going solar reduces pollution A LOT, and means that you can get into needing purple science without ever even seeing a Big Biter. My second/current game I went spawner hunting and was able to kill the nest, only having to kill two medium biters (and a slew of smalls).

I have small pillboxes (4 turrets, a space, double walls) on my major attack routes that easily clean everything off.

Edit:

Pillboxes are circled. The accumulators are completely unguarded and have been left alone, the solars only get attacked I think because they block the way to the meat of my base.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 11, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love how you can have nearly infinite throughput. I have a green factory with three blue inserters taking copper in and three blue inserters taking it out, just making GBS threads out wire as fast as possible.

And I need more :unsmigghh:

I have two regular wire factories feeding circuit board factories, copied four times, all feeding the same hungry line, going towards inserters (green/blue sci) and advanced Circs (blue sci/processors), and still the line hungers for more, but I'm out of real estate. The green wire factory above isn't making basic circuits.

Fun fact, you can throw grenades from trains

E: Basically Processing Units need a goddamn shitload of circuit boards

E2:

more

E3:

MORE

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 12, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Turns out when you swap green modules for blue modules in your furnaces and assemblers, your power needs bump up a little bit!

This leaves me with just about 120 kJ by the time the solars come back on. The steam is there as a backup when I expand the base and forget to expand the solar field- if those turrets turn off :ohdear:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 12, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Harik posted:

Thanks, that's a lot cleaner than mine. I'll give that a shot.

I took it up to power armor - but I'm wedged on research because I missed a purple x3 on my current one so I need to go murder more biter nests to finish.

Do you lose everything if you change research? red/green/blue whatever, but purple is painful to lose.

Yes you do. I was halfway through Rocket Speed 2 when I found out :(

The only mod I want is to switch the purple science recipe to an insane thing, like Processor+ElectricEngine+Lab. Anything is better than going out and farming those artifacts. Heck, throw Assembling Machine 3 on there.

PARTS FOR THE PARTS GOD

E: If anyone has looked at the blueprints and wondered what they were for, just try them (hint: they are a drag-select thing), holy cow they're nice.
E2: That's it, I'm learning modding, how hard can adding one recipe be?

E3: Hah! In a race against my assembler to get the last 5 modules to finish off the rocket defense, I came out ahead :smug:

And then a second victory:

There's no data I can find on the wiki regarding attaching this to a technology, but whatever, I'm not picky (I am an assembly-line masochist, apparently)
On the off-chance anyone wants it, I'll host it somewhere I guess.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 13, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In one of my games I had an oil field of 15 (!) oil spots, and I pumped them into barrels and trained them back to my main base/refinery, then trained back the empty barrels. I was super stoked that I got it to work, and it kept me in plastic/batteries until the end of days.

If you do Alaskan Pipelines, use an electric pump every so often, that kicks the speed of the fluid up a ton and makes sure the pressure on your refineries is always high. Otherwise you end up with all your pipes at 9.9 oil and your refinery just being a lazy jerk.

metasynthetic posted:

It's more getting access to the resources to finish it that annoys me. Also, the fact that I guess it's supposed to introduce the train system, without explaining a drat thing about it. I tried watching some youtube videos but they're full of the usual intolerable WACKINESS that takes 10 unedited minutes to explain something that should take 30 seconds.

The trains were pretty intuitive, but you do have to actually work towards them before your iron runs out which the game doesn't push you hard enough towards. Basically, Trains can only go forward (while automated, you can personally drive them backwards) so make loops on the end of your lines to turn them around. Line up inserters so that the cargos fill on one side and empty on the other- they are treated just like chests.

You don't need signals unless you are putting two trains on one track. Just have two stations, 'here' and 'there', list them both on the train's schedule, make your loops, and hit go. Load a chest with coal aligned with the engine at one stop- engines use coal so slowly that one iron/steel chest will keep them running for hours and hours without maintenance (you can hook up a conveyer feeder if you like, I guess).

I personally love how intuitive everything is, this is the first "manage crazy complex systems" games I've ever played where I haven't had to have my nose in the wiki- I don't think I've ever looked anything up at all besides if combat could be easier. Even things I was sure would be bastards (ie, robotics) turned out to be plop-and-go.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 13, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
What on earth are you using that many engines for? :stare: I have two engine factories running and have shitloads more than I need. Do you use them to just crap out cars everywhere? I suppose it would be convenient to have a stack of 30+ cars on hand.

E: Also on a personal note I hate seeing production belts full of unspent product. If it's on the belt and not in a factory, it's wasting my time! I'm going to be no fun at all to play with in multiplayer.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 15, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Stuff stacking up on the belts? Build more factories to eat it.
Factories eating all your product and turning off? Build more input.

Repeat until you have infinite production :byodood:

E: Bottlednecked on the inserter? Add more inserters!

You can make a shitload of wire like this. Output was increasing even with L3 speed modules on there. You could probably get 6 insterters in and out if you were crafty, and taking from/sending to chests would be even faster with the stack size boost, but I don't think you can really take advantage of it. 6/6 in/out is probably best. I was out of room there, or I would have.

(Backed up only because this was a completed game, nothing left to build :( )

E2: The output belt is wonky there in order to get wire on both sides of the belt ASAP with the room I had, since it maxed the one-side throughput of the blue belt, and I needed more. It wasn't too well planned on my part (you can see me pressed up against the battery line).

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 15, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's especially true for cable because not only do they craft fast, but you get two for every one copper plate. If you don't have at least two extractors for every inserter I don't know what to tell you (other than to make that happen, obviously; also the opposite thing for gears since they take two plates to every one gear)

Unless you're making a lot of express belts, two gear factories should be plenty to keep you supplied, provided you can fully meet their demand for iron (which I've never quite been able to by the way, considering you also need a ton for steel and pipes and belts and research packs and and and and)

Trains, bro.

If you have inserters on both sides of the train unloading, you can get that train out of there and back to the mine faster, which means more iron for the factories, which is more parts for the parts gods. One blue belt with both lanes full of ore can service (I think?) 24 electric furnaces from source, so if you can get a source to back up with ore on, say, four belts (6 cars or so should do it) then you're cookin'.

Pro tip: Multiple engines make a train go faster. Two-headed trains are markedly slower than single-headed trains, so use loops except on tiny train lines. When you get a new line set up, ride it a few times and count seconds until it's full/empty, cutting 5-10 seconds off each stop adds up quick.

Also use wood chests at the mines and steel chests at the unload- the woods fill up quick, but individually have more storage than the train car so they can still fill it up if you have, say, 10 per car (5 per side). Steel chests never fill so your mine might only load 1-2 cars when it could be loading 6.

E2: If you want to please the parts gods, you should be using a lot of red belts, and a ton of blues for your main iron/copper arteries at least.
E3: I did see one guy make this mistake, so just to be safe, (un)load your trains via chests to use that Stack Size research.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 16, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's really the geographical size of the mine that makes the difference. I've been playing with most everything on normal so I'm not positive what Richness does exactly (I'd guess make each node 'deeper' to start?) But if you get lucky and can fit 20-25 mines on one patch, then you can be in good shape for a long time.

I always seem to get screwed on Stone. Just enough for furnaces, then I have to scrape and pinch to get enough for walls. Hurumph.

E: Oh my yes. Normal ore piles are ~2000, Very Rich can get up to 6500+. Dang.

Filthy Monkey posted:

I tried playing around with the logistics drones a bit, but they seem like they need some extra research before they really shine. At their base speed and base pickup capacity, they seem unimpressive.

They're no replacement for belts, but they do have their moments when you need to move singles of things. They work excellently for centralizing and distributing science. Construction bots, though, those are the poo poo.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 16, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, pollution makes them spawn, and it also increases the difficulty of things that spawn ("evolution"). Evolution never goes down, but attack rates can drop almost right to zero if you suddenly go green or take everything offline for some reason, like tearing it all up to rebuild from scratch.

If you want to try a high-pollution game, be ready to fight, because they come at you a LOT harder and more often. I tried relying more on steam power on my latest game, while also trying a more spread out base. I couldn't keep up with constant attacks everywhere, especially since I needed a dozen roboports to cover my base for repairs. It's a good challenge, but kinda frustrating when you're intently working on something and keep getting interrupted by mushroom-cloud-indicators.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
They do come from nearby bases, but 'nearby' depends on pollution. They will get their hiking boots on if you black out the sky with smog.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Monkey posted:

It semes like the desert starts are a little harder, especially if there are bases nearby. The pollution-absorbing trees definitely help contain your early filth.

Having played a few games now, I feel there is kind of a dead zone in the middle of the research tree. Namely, the period between maybe steel, and getting sulfer/plastics/batteries. I can't really safely expand base without causing a lot of pollution, and oil doesn't accomplish a lot until I can make batteries and plastics. Not to mention that a lot of expansion would end up being torn down once the aforementioned techs come in.

A good chunk of the techs aren't useful until you have the others. Solar panels aren't great until you have accumulators, which need batteries. To put that energy to good use it helps to have electric furnaces, which take plastics. Honestly have been just kind of alt-tabbing out while I let my research go at that middle point.

I get green science, and then build my entire base while I research everything. By the time I can make infinite blue science, I have everything that only takes green. Build build build build!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Construction robots and accumulators go together like iron gears and copper plates. The best part is you can place blueprints from maximum zoom out, you don't have to run all over the gently caress to place things.

I don't like how ghost buildings go bad, though. I'd prefer if I could just ghost out an expansion and have the bots just get around to it when the buildings come in.

They could also use portable bot antenna. Go bot-walkin.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
^^^ Count again, that's 8 turrets ^^^

LordSaturn posted:

My current least-favorite thing about the game is that you can't automate blue science production without spending 100 blue science.

I'm wondering about this too, I usually have blue science automated before I'm out of green things to research, and that's with 10 labs going.

E: Oh, new page :goleft:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Offensive combat is a butt, you need artifacts to build power armor and you need power armor to really go spawner-hunting unless you get lucky with worm spawns. Worms are basically immune to all mortal weapons except laser turrets, and if you put off spawner hunting until late game, hand weapons have a really hard time overpowering spawns guarded by medium biters, and a heavy biter is death unless you have turrets to run to.

Defensive combat, though, is pretty great.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Deadmeat5150 posted:

How the heck are you supposed to use barrels? I've been trying to figure it out but it seems to escape me.

Pump oil into an assembler
Add barrels to assembler
Set assembler to "Fill barrel"
Take full barrels out of assembler
transport barrels to destination
Insert full barrels in another assembler
set this assembler to 'empty barrel'
Oil and empty barrels come out.

This (by default) only works with Crude Oil.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pornographic Memory posted:

I've lost more cars than I care to admit to running into trees. Many, many trees.

This game really needs roads that 'grip' the car's steering. You can steer off a road, but driving along it will autosteer for you so you don't swerve all over the gently caress and knock all your power pylons over each way, like I do. I wonder if that can be modded in?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

So basically make sure you aren't on an island before spending 20 minutes starting up

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone been following development prior to this thread? How long do they take between patches, how soon is multiplayer? :f5:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

Everyone seems to be all about the efficiency upgrades.

Is there anything to be said for productivity modules? Theoretically they should allow you to milk ore deposits for longer, but with the obscene power consumption they cause, I find I have to sink an awful lot of materials into photovoltaics/capacitors for a modest production line.

Biters hate productivity, too.

Personally I'm all about speed modules, except for everything related to purple science, those get productivity. As soon as I start working purple science, my artifacts->sci get productivity, and every drat lab gets productivity.

That late in the game, I usually load all my electric furnaces with Speed because I need throughput. More parts for the parts god!

And I spend every night in the dark after 1000 accumulators die around 2 AM.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hagop posted:

Once you get adv processing you should be swimming in petrol in just whats coming out of the refinery.

I'm always starved for petroleum with 3 refineries working at full tilt, one Heavy->Light cracking (plus a lube factory), and three light->petrol cracking. Artifact construction required immense resources. :dota101:

That mostly powers 4 Battery lines and ~12 Advanced Circuit factories (2 plastics lines), plus explosives for grenades and rockets, and spare acid for 3 Processor factories. I don't know where people get the spare oil for solid fuel, but I've been pretty lucky with my coal deposits.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 22, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Filthy Monkey posted:

What on earth are you doing with four battery factories? I seem to have no problems at all getting enough batteries for tech, accumulators, and a mountain of laser turrets out of one factory.

Fifteen science labs that need blue science, plus accumulators (like I said earlier, my last bank was 1000) and of course turrets. Mostly the blue science.

E: Four actually is too many; it does let the line back up- but once it backs up to the Accumulator factory, that thing is fast enough on its own to eat every battery that comes its way, which is fed to a construction robot to be placed in the field immediately. This game's pretty great.

E2: And bot frames

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 22, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hagop posted:

Yikes 12 AC factories what are you building with all those ACs?

Wow are you all green or something that is gently caress ton to many of accumulators.

I try to go very strongly green, since going black summons hell on earth to the tune of 3-5 Big Fuckers per wave (and even Laser turrets have trouble with those numbers hitting constantly). With all those AdvCircuits I make (again) Blue science, processors, and modules out the rear end. You should see my Wire bill, it can spike up to 6000/minute. (Hit P)

parts for the parts god

E: I should say I try to go very green, but efficiency modules are for nerds. Virtually everything runs Speed unless it is not physically possible to feed supplies in that quick, in which case they get Production. This is why with 1500/1000 solars/accums and climbing, I spend 2AM in the dark.

VVV I... don't think that's true. Large Biters are virtually immune to gun turrets (taking 1-5 damage per shot and having, what, 450 health?) in the best case, handling more than 2-3 would be problematic even with dozens of gun turrets.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 22, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sockerbagarn posted:

Well that sure looks Factorio as gently caress.

:eng101:

Once you get robots, Construction Robots armed with repair packs mean that any walls that get damaged get repaired right away, and if you stock walls (and ideally turrets) in the storage chests, those get replaced if they ever get destroyed. Robots are basically the best feature I've seen in ANY game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motherfucker posted:

Than it should exist!

Awesome for trains and stuff and really putting the 'mass' in mass production.

Trains have a really low capacity, actually, each car about even with a wood chest. If you have the station aligned vertically you can have six inserters per side, and with stack size research that can fill in ~5 seconds with 12 working on it, unless you're transporting something that stacks higher than 64 such as circuits.

That's one reason why I recommend you use wood chests as your 'loading' chests (and never feed just from a belt!). Unloading, sure, steel chests give you a large backlog to work with.

Unrelated Pro Tip: Have a assembly line making blue assemblers and feed them to a chest with just one or two slots open. Being able to grab a full stack of assemblers whenever you want is a godsend.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hagop posted:

So what is the trick to sprint killing nests? I currently go faster than every thing and I can take a LW shot or two. So I can run in do donuts throw a bunch of poison caps and kill the worms no problem. However that doesn't seem to do jack against the nests them self's.

Early game, get 200+ clips of AP rounds and an SMG and go nuts on as many spawners as you can before Large bugs come out since they laugh at SMGs (ditto Medium/Big Worms). This gives you enough artifacts to get power armor and such and such late game.

If you put it off too long and/or went Black power and now are facing Big Biters en masse, you gotta rely on tower creeping via laser turrets and substations until you can afford power armor.

To kill the actual spawners, the SMG is the best option purely on a time scale. Rockets work alright when upgraded, but those upgrades cost artifacts (but count toward your Rocket Defense so you gotta get 'em anyway). If you can get close, a combat shotgun with AP rounds also makes a pretty good mess of them, but that option is pretty expensive and late-game.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

What's the benefit of a train vs just building a long belt, since they don't actually hold all that much?

They are cheaper, faster, and at 960 ore per car they actually have a very good throughput. If you have a two-engine, 6-car train (not two-headed) then it can deliver ore from miles and miles away very very quickly.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

You probably already know this, but you can squeeze seven inserters per cart per side if you put the station on the horizontal.

I did not know that, I was under the impression that horizontal was shorter, but I haven't been doing my due diligence in testing. Regardless, since trains can only be scheduled in 5 sec increments (:spergin:), 12 fills it 'fast enough' with non-purple inserter upgrades.

One thing I've been meaning to try, if you schedule a train to stop at a station for 0 seconds, does it stay long enough for, say, an inserter to put one arm of coal in the engine? Gotta cram every second I can out of my train lines.

E: Yes I know ideally I would sneak the coal in during another stop but that's kinda a bitch in my current line

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 23, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Retro42 posted:

Don't forget the inserter stack size upgrades. Offloading directly from trains to chests lets you unload 3 items at a time. Same works for loading. Have your mines preload chests before the train even gets there.

I do the same with my wire factories. Move wire from factory>chest>belt.

Obvious tip, but might still be a few unaware of it.

Stack size works assembler-to-assembler too-- notably making Red Science lines very short and simple (one gear factory can feed 4 science factories at ideal capacity) and can make turbo circuit factories (1 wire -> 3 circuit board seems to be the ratio)

As a bonus, if you have multiple outputs, inserters are smart enough to evenly distribute (that is, round-robin distribute) between all of them automatically.

Pornographic Memory posted:

What's the best way to deal with worms? I'm running out of iron and there's a huuuuuuge iron deposit next to my currently running iron outpost, but there's some bigass worms camped out next to it. I'm only up to modular armor and solar panels and force fields to go with it, and I don't know if I can tech up much further before I run out of resources (I'm running a bit low on coal too, and rapidly sucking up my oil, but at least I can substitute coal and solid fuel with wood and solar panels to a good extent).

Worms have two counters:

1) Drive-by poison capsule bombing
2) Turret creeping (drag a power line out there, use a substation to drop 10-15 laser turrets on them)

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you max Richness, you'll never run out. Typical nodes are ~2000 (x25 = 50k per mine footprint), Very Rich nodes are ~6500 (162k). My last game got Rocket Defense without having a single mine turn off.

E: That said, last game was a speedrun of sorts (peaceful, high resources). I got 16 hours, but I got lazy at the last few steps and coulda maybe got it down to 12-14 I think.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 25, 2014