Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chev posted:

I'm surprised, I play on default settings and biters always leave me alone for hours.

Your taste in maps makes a huge difference. I'm pretty new myself but I've made it to the midgame without even seeing a biter on heavily forested + watered maps, and I've had attacks literally as I was setting up power for the first time, both on exactly the same settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I just finished my first game, coming in just barely under 38 hours (and accidentally getting the Logistics Embargo achievement as a bonus). I know I want the Upgrade Planner mod for my next run, but are there any other quality of life or "vanilla plus" mods I should look out for?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hmm. I don't think I'd actually want any of those except for the personal roboport toggle switch and maybe the vehicle snap, but thank you for the very extensive write-up just the same.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I really like the new biters, and not only that, I like them for the exact reasons that the dev described in his post about how and why he changed them.

Plus it's not like different entities in Factorio being at weirdly varying levels of detail is a new phenomenon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Building complicated production arrays that meet certain design needs (which, I might add, tend to vary a bit from player to player) isn't tedious, it's just takes a big mental jump beyond "keep doing what you've been doing" to a deliberate and effortful combination of creativity and math.

It's very easy to stall out and just go "I don't want to think about this" when approaching that problem -- I did it literally three or four times, starting games and abandoning them at blue science because I was too intimidated, before I finally got a win -- but once you've done it you'll realize it's not that bad, and then you can start making your "barely stumbled through it" designs better, which I think is where a lot of the game's longevity comes from.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also I missed the bit about "clearing space" -- I strongly recommend generating a few maps until you get one without too many trees or water in the direction you plan to expand in. Or, if you don't feel like starting over, make copious use of grenades.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

saihttam posted:

So I'm a beginner sorta, played a few years ago but haven't ever won the game. I've just started a new map with the idea of learning to create a bus. I've chosen 4-lanes and wonder if that is a bad idea, as in, do I need a really big production to support it?

Also, whats the true use of 4-lane? I use some blueprint splitters from https://wiki.factorio.com/tutorial:main_bus and what's the benefit of 4-lane? Just to make sure you get materials to the "end" of the bus? should I split from any other lane than the left most or right most when I split?

I also will make sure to create huge spaces for my factories now. Hopefully not feel completely overwhelmed by the switch to robos. I love the things :3: but I always get the feeling of where do I start with them, and after building all these neat belts, I kinda feel a bit empty inside.

You don't need 4-lanes for every material. For a first-time "just trying to launch a single rocket" the only things that need that much throughput are iron, copper, and maybe green circuits. You can probably get away with two lanes of green circuits and one of everything else.

I recommend KatherineofSkye's tutorial over the one you linked, she goes into a lot more detail wrt the how / why / how much: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=754378586

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

uPen posted:

4 red lanes of iron should be close to 200 furnaces. My red furnace blocks are 48 furnaces per belt but I think the actual ideal number is slightly less than that.

47 basic furnaces smelting iron saturate a yellow belt, 94 saturate a red belt, and 140 saturate a blue belt

steel / electric furnaces are twice as fast, so halve these numbers, but due to rounding issues it's 24 for a yellow belt

steel is five times slower than iron/copper so you need five times as much (or, more likely, just don't bother with full steel saturation until you have speed + productivity mods online)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

All this talk of "warehouses" makes me really wish there were a 3x3 building with the same functionality as a chest. Plus maybe give it discrete internal storage areas so you can sort and filter it or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but there are mods that are pretty much that. Some of them actually have internal physically areas you can enter and place buildings in.

If you want to keep it vanilla, a stationary train car on a little bit of rail accomplishes some of the same things.

I'm not! I was asking about mods earlier (because I haven't looked into them much and wasn't sure where to start) and a stationary train car sounds like a great stopgap.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: Nevermind, this was a pretty basic math question that took me too long to figure out.

Follow-up, though: if I want to mix Speed and Productivity modules in science production such that I end up with higher productivity, but the exact same amount of overall production, how do I do it?

e: A rough approximate isn't too bad, but I'd still like a perfect ratio; two Productivity 3 modules is -30% speed, so .7 of normal speed, 1 / 0.7 is about 1.42, so two Speed 1 slightly undercompensates, and a single Speed 3 overcompensates.

e2: wait is it actually just additive? literally just have equal amounts of speed bonuses and speed penalties across all machines?

e3: no; additive works for inputs but outputs are more complex since speed and productivity bonuses interact

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 30, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not nearly that far advanced, I was just trying to find a way to conserve resources while still keeping my science output balanced for each type. (That is, keep producing exactly 2.25 yellow science / sec, but using fewer blue chips to do it.)

It was silly of me and the real solution is just tearing up my antiquated single-track railway and replacing it with a loop so I can get better iron throughput.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

zedprime posted:

Beaconing is at a scale thats not necessary for your first 20 hours which leaves a small window where you might want 3 prods and 1 speed in assemblers to help you scale to the point you can poo poo beacons at everything.

this is exactly what i ended up doing :v:

i'm glad i'm slowly stumbling down a well-trod path

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

On a different note, two closely related questions:

- Is there any way to generate random noise via the circuit network?
- Is there any way to permanently trap / enclose a biter (or better yet, a biter nest) without destroying it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks guys.

Manyorcas posted:

It was like some sort of hellish bitter torture chamber, it was impressive.

I want to make a petting zoo. :3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I realize this is a hard question to answer, but does anyone have any generalized advice or hints for building beacon-based designs? I've never really messed with them before, and I don't want to just look up solutions without understanding why they work. It's really cool that at this stage of the game miniaturization and space efficiency suddenly start to matter, but it also means I have to figure something out I've never cared about before.

e: I had a design here but it doesn't actually work yet period. :v:

e2: Okay I sorted out the issues, here's an example of the sort of thing I'm building now: https://pastebin.com/vMFtjJZG

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Feb 1, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I enjoy belted setups for aesthetic reasons; I'll probably switch to robots some day but for now that's by design. That blueprint produces exactly a full belt of green circuits (which I confirmed in Factorio Planner, although it might be slightly overkill due to rounding issues); I also had to lock the output stack inserters to stacks of 10 to get them to sync up properly. :v:

Thanks, though!

e: Cutting the copper wire assemblers down to 2 is a great catch, in particular; I'm still used to thinking of things in terms of fixed ratios instead of ratios being something you can manipulate.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 1, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-280

A whole bunch of GUi improvements, and, more excitingly, if a train has a station in its schedule without any wait conditions, it will path through that station but not stop

:woop:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Solumin posted:

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I can't think of any uses for it off the top of my head. I like load balanced stations and I don't think this helps with them. I guess if you want tighter control over where a train goes?

It means I can put multiple pick-up stations on a single route and only have the train slow down if it isn't full yet.

Basically irrelevant in my current game where everything has a million modules and productivity upgrades, but still handy!

e: you could probably have accomplished this with circuits but :effort:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

e: You know, nevermind, clickable buttons are better. This was a dumb post.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LLSix posted:

What do you like to watch or listen to while playing Factorio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWGH1gKBUrM

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

Not sure how feasible it is but would be cool to create a sort of archipelago world where you have to island hop.

I think this would just make me wish for automated boats and more ways to interact with water in general.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's already a nuclear fuel item for vehicles, isn't there? Why not just use that?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Make snow a resource. Your drones will go out and shovel it, but they'll complaint the whole time. Build a megabase that produces 10 snowmen/s. Constructible snow fort walls. Snowball turrets fed by an assembly line. The recipe uses snow + stone brick.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Wait, belts are getting faster?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

That's fantastic news; thanks for linking it. I should probably read their announcements more regularly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I saw something in the patch notes about "added upgrade planner" -- what does that mean, exactly?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

uPen posted:

You can have robots swap out yellow belts for red belts etc without having to deconstruct.

This is what I wanted the upgrade planner mod to do, awesome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is there a way (or maybe a mod) to automatically place big electric poles at the edge of their wire range instead of wiggling the mouse back and forth or just eyeballing it and ending up uneven/inconsistent?

Hold down the left mouse button while you're placing them. If you release it by accident, go back to the last one you placed, and "place" a new one over it, holding the button down again, and you'll be able to pick up where you left off.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You could also do something fancy like running a red belt that splits off into short (like 1-tile) yellow belts at the point where it actually feeds the boilers, but frankly it's a waste of time and space and by the time coal running out is a serious concern you'll have solar or nuclear set up anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Is power distribution done by proximity to the power source or is distributed equally and instantly over the entire grid?

i think the latter, because it's the best explanation for what happens to a base that browns out but doesn't black out

but it'd be interesting to hear the results of your experiment

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

You know, I never actually found out - how long is the day/night cycle in the game? It should be easy to calculate how much energy storage I need for solar but nowhere lists it.

The precise numbers are kind of weird since it's based on ticks rather than familiar units of time, but basically, a little over 200 seconds of day, 80 seconds each of dusk and dawn, and 40 seconds of actual night.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Time pressure feels extremely antithetical to the puzzle game aspect of Factorio, but it's clear that a lot of people continue to play the game long after the puzzle part has mostly if not entirely been solved, and I imagine it's them that biters are there for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

The biggest problem with biters is that you HAVE to drop what you're doing to deal with an unexpected attack, or they will just keep eating.

Transitioning to perhaps more transient damage, such as temporarily disabling structures with bio goop/webbing and then just nesting in place means that part of your poo poo is hosed up, but you don't have to sprint over there (might be a train ride away, too) to fix it and break your work flow.

Plus this might lead to "where's all my iron? Oh my big mine is completely infested woops"

that sounds rad

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

It's a bit disappointing that long range attacks like artillery provoke an attack response. Don't really see how the fuckers should be smart enough to figure out where the artillery came from. :v:

see, motherfuckers come in with a colonial, speciesist attitude like this and then act surprised when they lose a war to emus

biters work the same way

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's almost impossible to avoid the possibility of one oil product bottlenecking based on the failure to produce some other product because there's no room. However, a large buffer, proper ratios, and "build more consumption" go a long way towards solving the issue for all practical purposes.

Failing that, there's always flare stack.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

They did triple the amount of energy you get from the portable solar panels and made them take less normal solar panels (but more advanced circuits) and I think a lot of people failed to notice. I know I did until I heard somebody mention it in a YT video.

i mean i'll give it a shot i guess but that still sounds like "unusable trash for anything besides powering a couple of exoskeletons before you have a real suit :geno:"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I was dubious at first but as soon as I saw the look I was 100% sold.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

1-2 science packs per second is pretty easily attainable with a single, centralized base. Trains are useful as a way to get raw materials from the hinterlands to the base for processing, but you're still well below the threshold where it would make more sense to set up dedicated chip factories or whatever and to ship intermediate/finished goods around by train*.

* the exception is you might want to consider on-site smelting. i prefer centralized smelting because rebuilding your smelting setup every time is a pain in the rear end and i don't care about overproduction, but there are pros and cons for each approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Travic posted:

Oh ok. That makes sense. I couldn't make the logistics work with such small numbers. At what point are trains the better option?

I'm sure I'll get there one day. For now it's just a small step up to a reasonable sized base instead of the tiny ones I usually make.

I'm not nearly as old a veteran as some players here, so I can't really speak to the point where it's best or most efficient. What I can say is the point at which I, personally, felt like expanding a singular base would be more tedious/counter-intuitive than parallelizing and the sheer size of things started getting too unwieldy was about 5-6 science per second. (Mostly because of how difficult it is to sustain blue chip production in a main bus system.)

That was also my largest base ever. :shobon: I started designing a 10 science / sec base using robots instead of belts but I got options paralysis over how to organize it and never actually finished the project.