Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Just got into this recently, pretty fun. Dunno if anyone linked it already but this guy has a nice tutorial series of videos covering topics up to oil/blue science, robotics, and trains link

And for your amusement I present my first attempt at setting up green science production (before watching his video on it)... enjoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Okay, do I have ANY chance of taking out a big worm midgame (just finished getting blue science online)? The biters established an expansion right outside my base that's been driving me crazy and it has a big worm and medium worm that just wreck me if I go near it. Piercing ammo in my SMG seems to do approximately nothing, throwing a fuckton of grenades seemed to make a dent, maybe I'll just have to make like 50 of those and do a few hit and runs?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The probable cause is the boilers are ALREADY full of fuel from when he hand loaded them, they won't load more until they need it

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Hooray for tanks, researched one up and after spending hours and hours running around worrying about my defenses, finally was able to go out and massacre every alien nest in a huge radius around my base... should finally have some time to actually work on my infrastructure. So satisfying to not have non-stop alarms going off for once.

I gotta say though, I rather like having the alien threat on, it gives the game some tension and makes the stuff you build feel more meaningful, you appreciate it a lot more when you see what happens when something comes in and turns it to rubble, I guess :v:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

watched a guy doing a speedrun of this yesterday, (on peaceful), what he did when needing alien artifacts was drag a power line over then quickly drop 9 laser turrets around it, basically nuked the nests no problem

2 hours 15 minutes, btw (with a LOT of pre-planning, on a fixed world seed so he could know his whole base layout ahead of time)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

My original oil deposits have reached lowest yield, and aren't enough to provide sufficient petroleum production for my factory.

Are my only options: a) to move my entire petroleum industry to a new oil well location or b) set up pumpjacks on an oil-well-rich area and barrel all the oil up and ship it via train to my already established petroleum facility?

I'm thinking of doing b, but it seems like it'll be a logistical bitch to do, especially when I have to repeat the process again when the oil wells dry up.

I'm in the same spot, thankfully there's some oil patches in the no-man's-land south of my base so I'll probably just put some wells and turrets out there and pipe it up

Another 'problem' I have is I set up a sick rear end train to mine the gently caress out of a ton of iron and ship it back, but I have nothing to spend that much iron on so I just have a train full of loving iron running back and forth and a mountain of steel sitting around. Of course that will probably change once I finish my robotics researches and start mass producing those, but first I have to set up a real copper mine, since the stuff I've been sitting on since the game started is drying up... *logistics problems intensify*

Also wish there was an upgraded tank at some point, something faster. Yeah I hear the power armor kinda does that (still working on it) but I like driving the tank :v:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I wish there were actual smart splitters that could just move one product to one side every time without wierd janky tricks like that

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

My 2nd game was in a desert and I did fine, but I think I increased the size of the starter zone so they probably spawned farther away I guess, I don't remember for sure. This is also the game where like an hour or two after I started they expanded right next to my base with a big worm I couldn't kill until I made a tank

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

peepsalot posted:

Btw is there a setting or mod that shows ranges during placement?

I saw this mod earlier, been browsing the mod forum a bunch today and noticed it, it requires you to build a special item to use on the turret though so I didn't bother and I don't particularly care about the precise range of the default turrets anyway, but it could be nice if you had a mod with some wierd ones maybe

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=14783

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Speaking of ugly, I'm trying out the K&L inserters mod that lets you do any kind of inserter angles you want, and decided to put it to the test by squeezing 2 factories into a spot where I had one factory previously. It got silly.

(as for the mod, I wouldn't recommend it - while it is incredibly convenient sometimes, it probably fosters bad habits and does cause the occasional crash)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Well, I've almost maxed my research and haven't used a small pump yet.. so probably

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

God drat setting up rails for the first time takes soooo much metal it's insane, first thing I do once I have the fat stacks rolling in is to automate the gently caress out of infrastructure like the fast goodbelts and rails and everything

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah I'm using RSO too actually, I like it so far. I also turned down enemy base spawns, and the map actually feels like something I can EXPLORE instead of being surrounded on all sides by loving neverending walls of aliens, it's nice. I actually just got in my car and drove a huge distance around for fun for once.

I won't bother with the stamina mod though, standing around crafting hundreds of red belts is punishment enough, i don't need to worry about dying while I do it. Now that my failing copper lines are being supported by rail, its time to turn my new massive iron expo into PURE INDUSTRY

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 22, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

oh my god I need SO MANY CIRCUITS NOW

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

One thing I appreciate running RSO and lowered spawnrates is that, compared to my previous game I'm not just drowning in alien artifacts from the moment I got the tank, I'm actually having to go out and hunt alien nests to power my research. For more basic quality of life stuff I'll echo what Ratzap said, I don't have them all but the ones I do are very nice and the rest sound good :)

Others I've tried:
-- Searching Flashlight - when standing still, you turn to face objects you mouse over, a small thing but handy at night
-- Initial Scan - when starting a new game, reveals a decent chunk of map around you so you don't have to waste time running around , I think this is becoming part of the base game next patch (the one currently open for testing)
-- Honk - by GotLag, just makes trains honk when entering / leaving a station. A handy reminder if you find yourself near the tracks, and makes you feel slightly less alone on this lovely alien planet
-- Color Coding, gives you different color concrete and lights and a few actual like hazard/danger striped concrete, so you can pretty up your base in the few moments you aren't focusing on brutal efficiency
-- Red Alerts, hook up a small early game research item to your electric network and you'll get an audible warning if your power is running out - also notifies you if a building or vehicle dies
-- The FAT controller, lets you control your trains remotely, also notifies you if a train runs out of fuel or has been doing nothing for 10 minutes or more for some reason (which does include 'train hasn't been activated', but that's a minor annoyance)
also EVO gui has options to display more than just evolution factor, it also can do ingame time, played time, biters killed, player locations (for multiplayer) and other stuff I think

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

Super fast outpost building is now a-go, thanks to me blueprinting a wall segment with spaced turrets / powerlines between them. I just wham down the blueprint however large I want, and then build inside the outpost.

That's a good idea. I also don't use blueprints enough, I have one that's just a big square o concrete, and one for a very simple robotic-fed dual assembler combo. Most stuff I always just custom plant every time, I should really get that blueprint saving thing and make an actual decent science layout instead of cooking up some new bullshit everytime

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Concrete's actually really annoying to blueprint because bots aren't smart enough to carry more than one of it at a time. It ends up much easier to just drop the concrete yourself or use FARL to do it.

True, but I don't really care if it's done efficiently, they usually aren't doing poo poo anyway. It's annoying that construction bots are a separate entity that is idle so much of the time.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Decided I wanted to show off my base layout, not that it's anything special really but I'm pretty happy with how it's going. I managed to spread stuff out pretty well such that I haven't had to do much major reorganizing, the biggest things being replacing my waning ore deposits with belts fed by train from larger offsite mines. Work started down near the steam and red science and kind of spread outward naturally from there, but then after getting the green science set up I established Circuit City off to the north because I knew from previous attempts that they were a big pain in the rear end and I wanted to keep them away from the rest of the stuff so I could expand them as much as necessary. This gave me plenty of room for the 'misc industry', basically all the random stuff that needs to be mass produced. Mostly everything is 'done', except I really need to expand my steel production and possibly oil/plastic/batteries, and get to work on actually launching a rocket this time.

And a peek at the wider world. I really like the world generation in this game (overall, not just this specific map), it feels pretty natural despite having a fairly limited set of 'biomes'. In this game I'm using the RSO mod and lowered alien density (though normal nest sizes) and have been pretty pleased with the results, it really encourages getting out and exploring more, instead of hunkering in your base. I've even had to make excursions solely to hunt for alien artifacts, something I never had to do on default settings where there were so many nests just keeping them away from my base gave me thousands of them. It makes it trivial to keep them out of aggro distance of your bases though, but whatever. Also using the mod to build rails over water, which let me set up my big iron mine to the north. Disappointing that you can't walk over the bridge, though.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Nice and tidy with spaces between things - cool. You still have ores in your base though, were the initial deposits really rich or just lasted well? You got lucky with those deposits fairly close in too, don't see anything else on your discovered area.

I don't remember exactly what I did with the world gen settings but I think I turned down ore node frequency by 1 step and made them one step denser (but not larger). The other reason they've lasted this long is that I try to limit myself to mining what I need, I don't store ore or plates in boxes so when the line backs up the mines shut down. Also I don't fully cover the ore deposits with miners, the coal deposits only have like 3-4 each, and metals like 6-8 at a time (for the ones in the base - the train expansions have like 20-30 and are shrinking much faster). The only starting mines that have totally been depleted are a small iron deposit near the starter red science and two fairly large copper deposits up near the circuit factory - that line just devours copper like crazy. It's already eaten over half of the copper in the east expansion (started at over a mil - now under 500k) while the iron base I set up earlier is set to last much longer.

Been lucky as hell with coal and oil though for sure, got so much of both I haven't even had to consider starting to look for them.

The lack of ore on the map is just a result of zooming out that far unfortunately - there's actually quite a few nodes in the visible area that aren't showing up.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I like the braids from the 3rd video, seems an interesting way to compact a production line and avoid using slower long inserters. The chains are perhaps not as effective but still a really cool idea

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

There's a mod that will let you use logistic wizardry on the trains somehow but I haven't tried it

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Instead of pulling some from 3 belts why not just pull one full belt and half of a second

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

You will never have 4 saturated belts if you're taking material off though, so why run 4 belts that are half full when 2 full belts is equivalent?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Jamsque posted:

I've only been messing around with this game for a couple of days, the pictures of bases in this thread are really intimidating.

Should I be aiming for that kind of bus-centric setup from the very beginning? On my best run so far I had red and green science production going as fast as eight labs could consume it, and I started to think about replacing all of my burner mines with electronic ones and I couldn't face it. My setup of one long belt of coal going through iron and copper fields (drills feeding straight in to furnaces) and terminating at my generators didn't seem upgrade-able. I can see how having smelting separated from mining would help with that upgrade path but I can't figure out how efficiently feed smelters with coal AND ore while still having space to take out the plates.

It's really not required, I'm relatively new also (been playing a week or so) and haven't done it yet, it's just something to make your base feel more structured instead of having random belts going all over the place based on what you have available at the time. In an 'ideal' scenario you would have zero ore or smelting in your base and have it all trucked in via a big line like that from your smelting area but just do what makes sense for you at the time, early on you're gonna be using metal from wherever it's available to you. Plenty of time later on once you have a huge robot army to tear your whole base down and rebuild it in a fancy way if you want. Or don't - while having your base organized properly will make managing it easier, you can 'win' the game without bothering.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I launched the rocket, hooray. Now I'm like completely out of oil, though. Time to figure out barrels! (not gonna try the tanker mod yet)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I hear bob's mod is good for that (literally called bob's mod) actually composed of a bunch of smaller mods, haven't tried it myself it looks insane, but I'm tempted

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

this is the 'overhauls' mod forum that has all the big expansive stuff, bobs is the biggest I think but the others all involve a fair amount of restructuring the game I guess so you could go for something a little less messy, I haven't done any deep investigating on them.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewforum.php?f=95

There's also a smaller thing called 'hardcrafting' in another forum which just makes mining/smelting more involved, where you have to deal with byproducts like dirt and gravel that poo poo up your belts, and the metal needs to be processed in multiple stages, in case you just want to gently caress around optimizing your smelters for hours

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Ratzap posted:

I find Bobs is a thorough revamp and avoids silly BS, yeah his late game stuff is hugely OP but you work hard to get it. 5dim, yukoi etc just have too much, too silly - I couldn't get to like them.

isn't it the one where you have like 500 different ores to mine and poo poo like that?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

People play the game vastly different ways, it's hard to give recommendations on something as tenuous as how many smelters you 'should' have at any point in the game, it's more something you expand as the demands of your factory increase. 100 does seem very high for 'mid-game' on default settings though. Maybe if your definition of endgame is launching 20 rockets per minute.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The only time I've seen that icon is when the accumulator is connected to a power source that isn't generating power, such as only connected to solar power at night, or an overloaded system that isn't producing enough power to power the factory let alone store extra in the accumulators. If you click on your power poles connected to the accumulators, check if the Production bar is full, or the Consumption bar is - if the Production bar is full, then your power is maxed out and there is no extra for storing.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Placing track manually is fine for a limited local area, but when you get into distances where you actually need a train (and laying more than one track on that path) then it's a godsend

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I've honestly never used more than 1 fast inserter / smart inserter combo factory because it's enough to cover like 8 blue science factories and really once you get 500 of them in a box you don't need more

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

dying to the train is a rite of passage, man

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

You can always hook up a smart inserter going from the repair kit factory to the active provider chest that only produces when the number in the system drops below X number

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

The tank cannon starts sucking when it takes 5+ shots to kill a single biter which is only blues - even worse on green behemoths. Then you can't even ram things without just dying and it's basically the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

I've got no idea how to tackle Steam Engine outposts anymore. The new boilers throws the old symmetrically linear designs out the window. I was gonna shove a bunch of boilers in a row in the optimum ratio, and then have their steam pipes all connect up into one single pipe that feeds into however many steam engines in a straight line, but I dunno how effective that'll be.

was reading around reddit yesterday and they were saying its now 1 boiler per 2 steam engines so no more wierd complex 14-10 split