Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

LonsomeSon posted:

If we set Vanilla to 1x and K2 to 2x, in terms of ‘scalar modifier to amount of extra Factorio in a modpack,’ where does Py fall?

without alien life, maybe x5? With alien life it's uh, way way more. Alien life is like several hours to hand craft red science, 50+ hours to get green science going. I'm at 150-200 hours on my current map and I'm not sure when I'll even get to blue/py science because everything is still spaghetti and my brain doesn't do planning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Yeah this is my opinion as well.

I like the idea, just not the coloration. Grey or brown would be better. Or a variety of colors.

Disco Pollution mod?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

That's handy to know, yeah I didn't think I could filter cargo trains, I guess I know what my mission is tonight then. :v:

My approach for now was to just get offensive and clear out some of the biters who were threatening my outposts, so I've at least kicked that can down the road a bit.

Spent a big chunk of time earlier rolling out changes to my power setup, so all of that is centralised near the water with no need to pipe water around, and getting my coal outpost to be my primary source of fuel. Now it belts directly to my boilers and excess coal is shipped over to my new smelting area around my first off-site iron outpost.

Now I just need to rip out my old iron smelting setup, and clear some more space, reimplement 90% of my base, and then make sure that I find a new copper source and do the same thing for copper.

THEN I can get blue science started. I've had black science automated for AGES and haven't even started on what I need for blue yet.

I love and hate how each task you finish opens up about 5 more things you should do.

Absolutely, the fun of the game is finishing a big task and going "what's next?", followed by a huge groan as the next hill is twice as tall and steep. Then you break it down, go step by step, and watch the pieces fall into place as you conquer the new challenge.

I am a Bad Factorio Player who weaves spaghetti and builds everything off the cuff. I've never even made a train or a logistics network. Doesn't matter because game is fun even if you make everyone else cry with your factory.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Olesh posted:

Unfortunately (for you) usually when this crops up it's not a bug, it's a leaky mess of piping being cross-contaminated by accident - in other words, you screwed something up at some point. You can't mix fluids between pipes, and the moment you connect an "empty" section to a section that has existing fluid, that fluid will spread more or less instantly and render the new "empty" pipes as containing fluid - if your pipes are being contaminated with the "wrong" fluid it's because they're connected to a pipe system that has the wrong fluid in it. This will happen even if all inputs and outputs are disconnected, because existing fluid will spread itself more or less evenly through the pipe network without any external help. In other words, if you have pipes with fluid already in them, you can cut those pipes off from all inputs and outputs and as soon as you attach new "empty" pipes, fluid will flow into the new section basically instantly.

Cross-contaminated piping is a pain in the rear end and the simple and sanity-preserving solution is to rip out your piping at scale and redo it, because to try to remove fluid from existing pipes is a monumental pain in the rear end. When you try and piecemeal it what often happens is that "empty" pipes that aren't actually empty get left in place and re-contaminate the system.

You can click on a pipe or storage tank to flush either that unit or the entire network of fluids. Much easier than ripping everything up and replacing it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

This is why I always build hundreds of tanks to hold steam

e: You only doing railworld correctly if you are shipping steam around instead of running wires

Imagine watching a train roll by and its only cargo is "hot'.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Solar is great because you just divert some resources and when you need more power you just slap down a few more squares. No worrying about the amount of fuel on a belt or brownout power spirals or not noticing your coal mine dried up or the oil wells hit minimum and aren't making enough solid fuel.

Nuclear is also awesome because all it takes to not waste fuel is a big enough battery of steam tanks or accumulators with a combinator hooked up to the inserter. I suck at everything in this game and it was easy.

Currently playing k2+ space exploration. My main base on Nauvis is 100% solar, but all the mining outposts on other planets are nuclear powered. If they run out of fuel I just fire another stack of uranium from a delivery cannon.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 25, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Additional notes on K2/SE:

Don't go to space without like, 5k scaffold and a huge pile of resources. Look at the different space machines and what they require. You'll need so, so many space manufactories. Make space pipes and conveyors at home because space machines can't accept productivity modules (except the lab, which should be filled with the best you can make).

Set up a dozen or so Delivery Cannons with requester chests feeding them. You can configure them with the satellite navigation overlay from any surface, so anything on the greenlist for the cannons you can set the request, load the cannons, and fire up to your orbital platform or other planets without having to go back. Sadly not EVERYTHING is cannon-viable so I've had to begrudgingly rocket home on the last leg of a new science production chain because I ran out of circuits.

One step better is to set up signal transmission to function as a trans-surface requester chest. The signal transmitters are huge and power hungry but it's delightful to have a bunch of railguns chugging along keeping you topped off.

With K2, waterless planets aren't a big deal because you can use atmospheric condensers to generate water.

In addition to the air filters, you can make actual trees in the greenhouses and they drain pollution like regular trees. You can pack TONS of them into a small space and make a viable free pollution wall. The only thing that sucks is I haven't figured out a way to place them via blueprint because they're still trees.

Meteorites are mildly annoying. You can use point defenses but they're kinda bad, easier to just replace. Most meteors will only destroy a couple buildings and damage a bunch of others. Later I just make 6 global defense cannons and they block most meteor showers. Bots will fix the damage from anything that gets through.

Coronal Mass Ejections are space laser beams that take a fuckpile of energy to deflect. The first one on Nauvis happens 48 full hours after game start and requires 182 GJ of energy over 2 minutes (capping around 2.2 GW drain). It's very possible to do it purely from accumulators by that point, or you can just eat it and rebuild.

Spaceships I only built a basic one but they're rad as hell. You can build a sort of space dock with underground pipes/conveyors to attach to ones in your ship and use it to move things around.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

After 7.5 hours I have finally automated red and green science though what I am sure is a stupendously inefficient factory

Stone furnaces will be the death of me, always needing coal instead of using electricity!

One quick tip! Watch out when you have two different ores overlapping. It looks like one of your coal miners has a small amount of iron underneath its working area, causing the coal half of your belt to occasionally fill with iron, which in turn makes your furnaces unable to grab any coal for fuel! You can check when you're placing a miner what its expected yield will be. If you see two different ores, move it around until you only get what you're looking for or you will have a bad time!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

Thanks for that summary, I'm thinking about what I'm doing next in the game and I was thinking about one of the larger mods. How would you rank them in order of increasing complexity/intensity compared to the base game?

I'm thinking about mods like Industrial revolution, Krastorio, Angels/bobs, seablock, space exploration, not sure if I'm missing any big ones.

So of the ones I've played it goes:
Krastorio 2 (a few new items, extra steps on a few things)
Space Exploration (post-midgame overhaul and space shenanigans)
Industrial revolution (not as complex as angelbob but has tons of intermediate crafts and a very different feel to progression. Only dipped my toes here so mostly just what I've read)
Angel+bob / seablock (total overhaul to how mining and production works, many new production chains, byproducts, production chains change as you tech up)
Full set of Pyanodon mods (8 hours til your first red science. 100 hours to green. I've still not hit blue on my 200+ hour bases. Complexity and scope are probably just way too much)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

power crystals posted:

Yuoki is no joke my favorite of the "big" mods (though I mostly do angel+bob+yuoki where it's kind of a side show) just because nothing makes any sense and it's clearly just the author having a ton of fun with whatever the hell is going on. Why yes, I do enjoy generating advanced sciences by shipping fish through a stargate, where I am then limited by how fast I can get rid of the like 100 merchant signs per second that generates, but it's okay because you can turn those into mighty domination symbols of the cult of profit at a cost of 20k per (I think). And then eventually you shoot those when you have too many.

I want to love space exploration but all the nonsense Earandel foists on you can go straight to hell. I love that robot attrition cheerfully advertises "you can set the rate almost to zero", as if setting it to actually zero would be impossible and not him just changing a value in settings.lua. Though given AAI Industry's fairly awful design decisions that probably shouldn't have been a surprise.

I should see if I can jam Industrial Revolution in there too next time.
Well I'm fuckin sold on this yuoki thing now.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

Thanks for the replies, both you and Phobeste, sounds like I'm starting a space exploration game soon. I might want to see if there's a way to deal with the annoying parts though.

Meteors are certainly annoying but can be turned way down and then defeated with a small diversion of resources and power with defence installations. Coronal mass ejections can be turned off completely.

Maybe I don't use enough bots but with 700ish logistic bots in my network I don't really notice attrition, at least on Nauvis. I get that the fact that it's forced upon you is unsavory, but you just gotta embrace it and dive in.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Py is the best if you want to never run out of things to do. Vanilla and other packs eventually just become a matter of scale but py tells you there is yet another production chain to set up and balance and is it worth it to being iron all the way over here when you could just get source it locally via a mushroom farm? Or even just breed alien bunnies and grind them up from blood and get the iron from that?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

DelphiAegis posted:

I never played or want to play expansionist mods like bob/angels or py, but this post seems like it's sarcasm, but given the reputation py has, it doesn't seem like it. :stonk:

Yeah nope I unironically love the convoluted production chains and intermediate steps and other bullshit. I revel in bullshit ways to generate renewable resources and complex chains that take hours to build.

Scaling production is my least favorite part of factorio. I enjoy crafting out my first block of production but get little joy in stamping out another 10 with bots. Py is like a never ending stream of new weird puzzles to solve instead of just jamming down your tenth brick of green circuits.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I mean you can plan ratios or you can just slam things down and when something isn't producing as much as you want you trace the shortages and build more of that. I do a weird mix of the two, and everything is always a mess.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

it's very telling that this review got approved by steam mods while my review that says not to give them money got banned so that I cannot edit or re-review it

Probably because Valve wants to make money when people buy the game dude. Like this doesn't even register on the "Bad things companies do for money" scale.

Also because a negative review that has nothing to do with the actual game is unhelpful.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

The Locator posted:

I foolishly started up a Pyanodons game last night.

I'm 4 hours in and still hand crafting everything because I haven't made my first 10 red science packs yet in order to research automation.

I'm almost there, the last factory I need to put together is the seaweed farm, but in order to make it I need to first mine aluminum to get 10 aluminum plates. Of course the only aluminum patch is a fair trot away from everything else and I need to get coal gas to the miners there, which means I need more raw coal mining, and figuring out how to deal with all the by-products of turning a small bit of it into gas.

Crazy mod.

Py is maximum crazy so good luck. I've yet to stick with a game long enough to get to blue science (so like only 200 hours).

Hope you turned off biters the pack is 100% intended to play with them disabled. Or at least turned the evolution settings down massively.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So one of the hardest parts of early Py is getting enough fuel for the Glassworks. What I always end up doing is using a tailings pond to store molten glass and tar, then use coal gas to fuel them until the tar gets half full-ish. Then cut off the coal gas, let the pipes empty and switch to burning tar.

It gets way better once you can make Syngas because it's twice as energy dense and you can convert tar to coal gas so all your DDT fluid products can unify.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

The Locator posted:

Every single one of those simple circuit boards has to be hand-crafted also, you can't just plop down an assembly machine and fill a chest with wood to feed it.

I have an assembly machine devoted to making copper wire so that I can pick up copper plates, copper wire, and wood, then hand craft the circuit boards to drop into various chests feeding assembly machines making miners, assemblers, inserters and splitters.

I mean I'm one of the guys that super loves the insanity of full Pymods and the circuit thing never bothered me. You just scoop some copper wire and queue up a couple stacks of circuits and go do the fifty other building and logistical tasks you're working on. I mean yeah it's a little dumb that they're so hard to automate but I hardly think it's enough to drive you away from the pack if you like the other aspects.

Also I don't think it was mentioned but wood production is a red science tech that's not too hard to get to so you can rush that and get that going (which you should because getting the 25 trees into the forestry farm to run at full speed takes about an hour from scratch). And it's another convoluted product chain that requires moss and soil to make seedlings and an extra cutting building to convert the logs to regular wood!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I mean when you sign up for what everyone describes as the modpack with maximum bullshit you gotta expect that.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

KillHour posted:

This feels like a straight-up mistake.

With copper, you turn copper ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 2 ore is smelted and the grade 1 ore is crushed into stone and grade 2 ore.

Fine, seems like grade 2 ore is "better" than grade 1 ore.

With tin, you turn tin ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 1 ore is smelted and the grade 2 ore is crushed into stone and grade 1 ore.

loving what?

I mean, every single metal has a different processing chain at each step of the different processing researches. You're going to use FNEI or a similar mod to follow each chain to set up your production chain and not think about it after that. It doesn't matter to me that this metal smelts the grade 2 and this one smelts the grade 1 and this one uses the grade 3 and the 2 turns into 1 which turns into 3.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Olesh posted:

Correct. Evolution is only affected by three things:

- Time
- Killing Nests
- Pollution Generation

Of the third, what happens to the pollution after its generation doesn't matter - whether it's absorbed by trees, eaten by land/water tiles, or eaten by biters nests, it's all the same as far as evolution factor is concerned. IOW, biter nests guzzling down smog doesn't directly matter as far as evolution is concerned.

The primary practical reason to push your walls/defenses outside of your cloud is that letting new bases be spawned inside your cloud means dealing with those attacks constantly (and/or clearing out the bases at an additional evolution cost) instead of dealing with the much smaller expansion parties.

Resources always cost pollution to produce so everything that goes into defense has a cost in evolution factor. At some point you've advanced evolution more by defending against a nest than you did by clearing it early. This stresses me out so I tend to play with biters off.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

Question that may have no good answer: are there any good mods out there that add a little bit new to the game without being a complete overhaul or complexity overload?

It's been a couple years since I played and I've got way too many hours in it, kinda got the itch but feel like I want a new coat of paint. Some new enemy behavior or an extension to the tech tree to make some bigger weapons, anything that adds a little spice once I finish the stock tech tree. Something that makes clearing out massive biter installations faster in the late game would be nice too.. infinite tech on artillery eventually fills that role but it gets super tedious eventually.

Scrolling through the mods list it seems like the most obvious selection is the Rampant mods.. are they balanced okay? I'm not looking for nightmare mode, just want a little more zazz. Is Alien Loot Economy any good?

You can definitely find mods that fit that description. Krastorio 2 gets recommended a lot as it adds some new stuff to the core game and mixes up the production and tech without feeling like a totally different game (I.E angelbobs or py). Rampant absolutely just adds more stuff to the biter side of things but I never get far in games I play with biters on so I'm not a great authority on that subject! Space Exploration is basically an expansion pack that adds a crazy new game after you launch your first rocket but it adds a lot more complexity at that point so it's probably not what you're looking for.

Alien Loot Economy is cool but also way overpowered. It's fun as a nice reward for actually killing biters but it has modules that get stronger as you kill more biters and they get way too good.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

necrotic posted:

Did you know you can shift right click an assembler and then shift left click the requester chest and it requests the recipe? It requests an amount based on some time producing the recipe, I forget exactly, so if you only want one you need to watch it.

gently caress that is incredibly useful and not even a little bit surprising given Factorio's incredible level of dedication to user experience.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

MrYenko posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress I watched bits of this, downloaded Pys again, and I didn’t immediately bounce off of them like I did last time. I’ve automated red science. In Pyanodons. Willingly.

Guys I need help.

My Py base is pure uncut spaghetti kept aloft purely by bots. I have no concept of organization or preplanning. I figure out what I need next, slap it down somewhere and dump the contents into a passive provider chest. I am almost running out of green science techs and I'm still working on new plants and animals. Been playing this save off and on since October last year and it's the best kind of factorio.

I would screenshot my base but it would cause half the people in this thread actual, physical pain to look at.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Chakan posted:

Then what are you waiting for?!

Okay here's the tour of the spaghetto:

The starting area here contains my glass production and initial coal processing, my original steam power that's still running (though the coal goes through the first processing stage to ~triple the power yield), and some miscellaneous early buildings like moss production for red science. I would explain more but I forget why half of this stuff is here.

Here is my main power production! I grow Guar beans and convert them to biomass, then electrolyze water into hydrogen (and dump the oxygen). Those are put into a powerhouse to produce combustion mixture which produces 2/3 of my power, with the rest coming from steam. The steam is mostly to burn off excess products anyway - I could shut the steam down and still keep everything powered here. My base currently pulls about 65 MW out of my 125 MW capacity. The factorissimo buildings are just more of the same once I had finished experimenting with this power supply method. Also featured are my initial seaweed farms for red science, and some of my copper and aluminum processing areas since the ore patches are way south of here.

Here's an offshoot I made as a test of a self contained wood-as-power facility pretty early on. I think it only ends up running 14 steam engines off the syngas, but it actually produces renewable coal and coke, which provides the graphite for all my smelting operations. It's also where I make those weird black tiles for flooring (Nexelit tiles they're called and give 240% movement speed!)

When I finally automated basic circuits they ended up over here by my Auog farms (poop is an essential component of circuits, it turns out). This is also the area where I am just slapping down each new plant or animal to get production started.

Rare earth processing! Very much slapped down and relying on bots to bring all the miscellanous crap. And the bots send out the products to be further refined... somewhere up in the main mess.

This is what it takes to mine and process Titanium, since it needs acetylene! Can't just slap down some miners and belt or train the ore back, oh no.

Anyway this is what the core of the factory looks like from the map. Yes I dumped things directly on top of the giant mixed ore patch in the starting zone. It was a major struggle to get to the point of bots and I was manually moving components for green science around until my floating friends took over.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Azhais posted:

I just end up making armor in my mall and forgetting to set a limit so I go and look for my power armor and I have 1000 of them

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

KillHour posted:

Just wait until you figure out you need poop to automate circuits.

Hey you can do it with blood, too!

KillHour posted:

Right, it was inserters... Good luck!

I absolutely suggest miniloader or whatever mod adds the chutes that are passive no-power loaders that run at 3.75 items/s at the cost of like 5 iron each.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

Got cocoons going at a decent enough rate since I can't actually automate everything because chips are still locked. Started blood products going to eventually get chips going, and while i'm working on that crops will start accelerating production.

Get auogs and make them poop for Urea it's much more renewable than killing things for blood until you can actually breed cottonguts (unless you make like 25 cottungut studs in the lab but that's... not ideal)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

How can anyone leave out Renai Transportation from a list of essential mods?

https://i.imgur.com/dqsE3ko.mp4

So I've seen the jumping trains and the throwers, but God drat the train crashing into a stopper and and just mass YEETing its contents onto a mess of belts and bounce pads is the most beautiful thing I've seen.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Mailer posted:

In my original attempt leaving settings untouched I was getting rushed in the first five minutes of the game. I didn't even have automation unlocked, let alone any kind of supply chain. I'm sure if I was faster on the hotkeys I could have worked it but as it was so early and I was trying to learn a tech tree with a dozen more intermediates than normal it didn't work out. Slightly cranking up the starting area helped. I don't think it was anything to do with the mod itself aside from the guns being kind of glitchy and making it harder. K2 felt like a very well-made mod but in the end I just wanted more ridiculous toys to unlock and not a complete redesign to progression.

In terms of overwhelming in general there's absolutely a factor of that built into the game. I enjoy the challenge more with the bugs and the need to expand but at this point I know future science is going to require pushing for that far-off stone field and I have nfi how I'm going to push that with 0.68 evolution and only red/green/black/blue. Just three big worms in a spawn was enough to nearly kill off my tank before they died and that's pretty much my best weapon. I might be completely screwed and lose here, but at least it's been interesting.

Doesn't K2 have an Anti-Materiel rifle that is a super long range sniper rifle? The times I've played with biters I found that was excellent for picking off worms or spawners from behind a couple towers. It would probably take ages to pick off the big worms but it's an option!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Devor posted:

Turns out even watching death world Factorio still gives me the anxiety that keeps me from doing it myself

That's fun to find out

Yeah I watched the whole thing so far because it's a compelling game type, an excellent narrator/editor, and a way better factorio player than I am.

That early base phase is extremely clever and anxiety inducing and reminds me of warptorio which I may have to play again.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
It's completely wild that anyone would think $35 (or $30) is too much for Factorio. Imagine liking the demo and wanting to play it but refusing to buy because it's half the price of a AAA game and won't let you have it for 10 bucks because it's lunar new year or whatever the gently caress.

I mean movie tickets go up in price whenever they feel like it but factorio can't charge 5 extra bucks because a dollar isn't worth as much as it was 6 years ago?

Also this:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Full py is like a multiple thousand hour modpack so I don't know if there is any combination of evolution settings that make any sense given that the pack is absolutely expected to be played with biters off.

The early game is really cool and much smoother as the first science pack is pretty quick (by py standards) instead of several hours in. There are some really interesting logistics challenges since you get power-free slow filter inserters but no splitters for a long time. Also the alien life stuff gets integrated a lot sooner than before alternate energy was out. But goddamn some of the buildings are way too huge.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

This is the goddamn coolest poo poo and it's only made better by the tiny angry ghost icon for when the super forced building hotkey is on.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

KillHour posted:

I heard you degenerates like spaghetti

I mean if we're comparing spaghetti here's an old screenshot of a pre-AE Py base of mine. Those Nexelit tiles are real zoomy but goddamn they are not easy on the eyes.

Note the single lab because there was a bug where you could slot in ANY module including plants and animals so that lab is running at like 2000% speed.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

KillHour posted:

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize we were sharing our shameful pipe mazes.

This is like when you go to a friend's house and they say "Sorry about the mess" and you can't actually discern a single thing out of place.

What are you guys defining as "spaghetti"??? For comparison, here are a couple screenshots of the bulk of my Nullius base, just pushing into physics science:

Here it is with Pipe Visualizer on so you can see a true shameful pipe maze:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

yoloer420 posted:

I've only ever seen the price go up. At most I think they might do a bundle price for the base + expansion at a price lower than the two would be separately.

Even that would surprise me though.

Well the price going up did technically match inflation so that's pretty fair. All you have to do to create a Factorio sale is let currency devalue over time and the buy it before they increase the price to match! GENIUS.

Anyway the clip where the giant asteroid crashes into the space platform and knocks a chunk out looks sick as hell. I wonder how you're supposed to deal with those big boys or if you have to just eat the damage and rebuild. I had forgotten how incredibly slick the platform building animations are.