Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Does anyone know of a mod that allows turrets to be connected to the circuit network? I'm trying to find a way to have a bunch of laser turrets not receive any power until biters are attacking, because their standby draw is still considerable. Right now the best I can cobble together is a laser turret + accumulator, which triggers some power switches when the laser turret fires & draws the accumulator down. It more-or-less works, but is pretty fiddly to set up. The whole thing would be so much simpler if turrets could directly announce "hey, I'm firing now!" rather than going through proxies.

I've also seen designs whose trigger is a flamethrower turret (needing to take in more fuel) or a gun turret (again, needing more ammo). My main concern with those is lag - by the time either turret needs to draw fuel/ammo, the biters could be much closer to your wall. Does anyone have any experience or tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Serious answer: I guess you could set up an accumulator that disconnects from the grid when full, and have a few "trigger" turrets slightly further ahead. When those start firing the accumulators will drop below 100% charge, and and that point connect all the other turrets to the grid.

That's exactly what I meant, and have already rigged up. A neater solution still eludes me...

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Death World mid-game trip report :

So many biters. So, so many. The whole thing's been nuts, and definitely the opposite of relaxing. Ever since the first attack I've been constantly firefighting, gradually scaling up defences as I could afford them. Lazy Bastard teaches you the magic of automating everything; Death World teaches you your priorities for automation, what you need and what you can live without.

Also, expensive mode is expensive. Steam engines, miners and turrets need so much iron!

If I were to do another one, my process would be :
  1. Prioritise military above everything else.
    • Lots of turrets w/ red ammo are your first goal.
    • Flame turrets are the business - get them as soon as possible. I didn't even start refining until frame turrets were integrated into my base.
    • Don't skimp on bullet damage research!
  2. Efficiency modules everywhere, but primarily in your miners. I might not have needed to do that, but it's certainly helped ease off the frequency of biter attacks. Cutting down your power bill so you don't need many more steam engines is a nice bonus.
  3. Next goal is nuclear, which is crazy-good.
  4. Get some laser turrets.
  5. Secure a long-term source of uranium (if you don't already). A 10k patch is enough to get you going, but you need more for a real long-term solution.
  6. Get LOTS of laser turrets.
  7. Relax.
  • Map settings-wise, setting your starting area to Big or Very Big is probably a good idea, to help you secure all the resources you need for nuclear + lasers without much hassle. You might want to increase the resource-patch size; maybe decrease frequency to compensate. Or you could leave these all at the defaults if you're feeling particularly masochistic.
Now that I've carved out a large area I can relax and plan an actual proper large-scale factory and deprecate my starting spagetti pile. So now I'm working out how I want to do it and what items I need for it, and have come to the conclusion that I need to build a factory so that I can build my factory...

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Flame turrets also outrange big worms but the pipework is tedious, and you'll still need laser/regular turrets to kill charging biters quickly.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Tanks can kill the big worms without getting shot back. (So can nukes.)

Before I get nukes, I just roll around with a tank backed up by a personal roboport and repair packs. As long as you've kept up with the research for cannon shells, you can even deal with gargantuan biters by focus-firing them with cannon shells while backpedalling.

I've tried this, but found it to be a real slog. Construction robots would pop out to repair my tank as soon as it took *any* damage, and just end up getting eaten. Also, only rarely would I be in range and have clear line-of-fire to big worms, without there being nearby spawners continually pumping out biters which would block LOF.

Having tried both, I've found laser-turret creep *much* easier. What am I missing?

"Ramming speed!" is still worth it :black101:

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The trick is to not rely on the main cannon. It fires too slowly to kill large numbers of swarming biters. The tank has a machine gun as well -- use this to clear biters. Turret creep works fine in concert with this. You don't even need to exit the tank! When you've thinned out the biters, you can selectively switch to the main cannon for taking down worms. The main cannon also one-shots the nests from a large range.

With enough practice switching between weapons (and supporting research for rate of fire and damage on both bullets and cannon shells,) you can forgo the turret creep.

Using red bullets? I found they just didn't do enough damage to cut down half a dozen big biters in time before another batch spawned. For the record, this was on Death World settings, so maybe spawner density is lower in regular games? I didn't think so, but maybe it's a factor. I had some +damage research done but not loads, so maybe that's it.

Collateral Damage posted:

I usually just drive circles around the nests and let the biters chase me while I murder the nests and big spitters, then mop up the tail with the machine gun.

This makes it sound like spawner density is lower in regular games. Either way, I'm glad people are having success with it.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
If one wanted to try a Bob's + Angel's run, exactly which mods are needed? (for 0.15) Last time I looked there didn't seem to be a single mod/bundle that covered it.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Alkydere and LLSix posted:

Angel's and Bob's setup guidance

Thanks to both of you - esp. LLSix for the bundle :cheers:

Honky Dong Country posted:

I saw some designs for tessellated oil refineries that won't jam up way earlier in the thread. Any of you guys have those handy so I don't have to go through all this page by page to find them?

This is one I made - the picture shows two copies of the blueprint side-by-side to demonstrate linkage, with some storage and outflows to the left. No doubt you can make it more compact, but getting stuck by pipes is my biggest pet peeve with this game. I'm also sure the ratio of refining to heavy-to-light and light-to-petro is way off, but I'm happy enough with it.

And the blueprint string : https://pastebin.com/R6NhkpSK

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I've got green and red science going pretty strongly, so I'm not completely lost, but the refining process of crushing and sorting is throwing me.

Hey there guy who's got to where I was two days ago :hf:

I'm finding that I'm quite enjoying the byproducts parts of AngelBobs, it's a logical (and logistical) challenge that isn't really in vanilla Factorio. That said, AngelBobs is showing up a bit of a weakness in the UI - the inability to show the user a bigger picture of the processing chain. An example I've just slogged through : dealing with slag and crushed stone.

Both slag and crushed stone can be converted into pure ores (iron, copper, etc.) but the chain has more than one link :

code:
Slag -> Crushed stone   -> Slag slurry  -> Mineral sludge   -> Ores
	(Ore Crusher)	   (Liquifier)	  (Filtration unit)   (Crystalliser)
(byproducts and additional ingredients not included - the sulphur cycle was the harder part)

The UI can tell you each stage, but it doesn't have any way to tell you "Crushed stone can be turned into iron ore via Slag slurry and Mineral sludge". There are so many recipes and different production/conversion buildings that piecing this together manually is a real exercise in frustration. I've got the "What is it really used for" mod which helps out a fair bit with this, but crucially lacks the ablility to show you two or more links in the chain at the same time. Does anyone know of a mod or tool that does anything like this?

(incidentally, this maze of recipes leading to byproducts of byproducts of byproducts caused me to miss the simple fact that you can get sulphuric waste (to get sulphur, to make sulphuric acid) directly from ore-processing in Floatation Cells, despite it being mentioned more than once in this thread :doh: At least I don't need to make it out of coal any more, which will simplify this part of my factory a bit)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

LLSix posted:

https://imgur.com/r/factorio/pRYew

The mod pages have links to all this sort of planning information.

Thanks, this is helpful. Wish I'd seen it when I'd started! It's a shame there aren't more of those for other common ingredients (e.g. sulphuric acid).

Kraven Moorhed posted:

You can also use Foreman (the program, not the blueprint mod).

Sadly there's a known bug with it where it won't load in all of the items and recipes, which severely hampers its usefulness. It's very impressive from a technical perspective, but this bug makes it unusable at present.

I was actually hoping for a tool which would show you what you can do with an item after 2 or 3 (4+ would be asking a bit too much) hops along the chain instead of just 1. There are a couple of such tools that do this, e.g. Calcorio , but only for the vanilla recipe set.

After some more searching, I found this - http://factorio.rotol.me/pack/bobsangels-f15-normal - which is probably more useful to me than the others mentioned, as it's essentially a more readable and usable version of the What is it really used for? mod. Still only one-hop, but better readability and having separate item pages in separate windows is still an improvement.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
It's a long shot, but are the inserters currently holding anything? I know I've had real face-palm moments when I realised that inserters weren't working because they were holding something they couldn't drop at the current destination.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
In my AngelBobs game I've just finished setting up a refined-ore-sorting terminal (iron et al, not saphirite and those), and highly recommend it. Plus AngelBobs pretty much mandates using trains - I don't want to think about the spagetti that you'd have to do to juggle 10+ ores at the same time. I figure it's much easier to train the mixed ores all into one place so you only need to sort once. Makes it much easier to hook new ore supplies in too, because you know that however mixed your source feed, it'll all be sorted out (pun not intended). Plus, rail has a much higher potential throughput, so scaling up shouldn't be nearly such a big issue.

I'm currently filtering out slag & geodes beforehand, but my Mk. II ore-sorting facility will probably handle those too to make it even easier.

But absolutely do the combo-sorting, it's so much easier for your core iron and copper demand.

Edit : ^^^ I can post my mod-list if you like, but it contains a few extras as well which you may or may not want to discard.

FnF fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 13, 2017

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
AngelBobs + extra quality-of-life mods list :

Turns out the list is bigger than I thought, so here's a pastebin link to the contents of my mod-list.json file. I don't know if you can simply overwrite your existing file with those contents and have Factorio pull them all in with a couple of clicks instead of searching and intalling each one manually, but it's worth a go.

https://pastebin.com/duuZL7BQ

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

Nope, no easy click (afaik)
Could you zip up the folder and share it on mediafire or something?

Pity, I was hoping you might be able to feed the mod-list.json in, click the Check For Updates button and it'd sort itself out.

Modpack .zip file (weighs in at 230MB)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Thoughts on AngelBobs :

The ore & smelting parts I really like - you have to refine iron ore out of other ores, which generates byproducts you have to filter out, and smelting recipes become more complex but give you greater returns. It's a bit of extra complexity but gives a little more "realism", and the new filter-splitters make this stage easier than it was before.

The chemistry part gets pretty tedious at times because there's loads more recipes and Factorio's pipe-laying is one of the most tedious parts of the game for me. But the more "realistic" recipes and the A -> B -> C -> D (with byproducts at most stages) appeals to the chemist in me, so...

The military & enemies parts you'll probably like if you like having biters at all, and not if not.

If you're someone who doesn't like using logi-bots then AngelBobs will be tough, because there are so many different recipes with so many different ingredients. It's certainly possible w/out logi-bots, just tougher than normal.

I'd really recommend a planner/recipe-viewer mod like What's It Really Used For and/or Helmod for AngelBob games. GDIW (Gah Darn It Water) and GDIW Hotkey help with the fluid-recipes.

PS Someone mentioned Rampant earlier - it really improves biters but I found that it seemingly demands a lot more from my CPU and/or GPU. So much so that I had to turn it off (I'm on 4K w/ 4GB of VRAM and kept occasionally getting out-of-memory crashes).

PPS Nuclear fuel timings : the Inventory Sensor mod provides a way to read out the temperature into the circuit network, so there's no need to do all that steam-storage stuff (the Reactor Interface mod does this as well, but hasn't been updated for 0.16).

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Fair enough, I'm just grateful it was there in 0.15. Definitely one of the top contenders for the "why doesn't the base game do this yet?" list.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Is having 2 parallel side-by-side stretches of heat pipes coming out of your reactors beneficial? Or does one single heat pipe work just as well?

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
  • Slag -> Crushed Stone / Slag slurry / the earlier liquid-concrete recipe
  • Crushed stone -> Stone / Slag slurry / Mineralised water
  • Stone -> Bricks / Rails / Burner ore crushers / Landfill / the later liquid-concrete recipe
  • Bricks -> Walls / Purple science / making general buildings (e.g. electric furnaces, hydro plants, etc.)
  • Slag slurry -> Mineral sludge -> Various ores / Mineral catalysts

You'll always want a supply of Stone (for rails, etc.) and lots of Bricks (Purple science, walls, making general buildings). After that, surplus can go to making mineral catalysts (for combo-refining, e.g. crushed saphirite & jivolite & mineral catalysts -> iron ore) or making ores through crystallisation. Making mineralised water (and sending it to clarifiers) is your just-get-rid-of-it option.

I'd recommend the combo-refining over the crystallisation route, but it depends just how far along you are. The eventual full ore-refining chain produces zero slag, so it may be easier if you design your factory with that in mind and convert all your slag into crushed stone. The recipes are slightly more expensive though (you get more slag slurry from slag than the equivalent amount of crushed stone).

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I take it there's no other changes aside from the above? Again, I just wanna know so I know if I need to change stuff when I hop to .16.

In other news, I'm trying to set up a circuit that'll send a train station a <green> signal when the train is full. For some reason, the inactivity condition doesn't seem to respect fluid transfer, so I've got trains leaving when they're like a quarter full of stuff. I need to generate this signal regardless of what's going onto the train, be it ore or circuits or any liquid. I think I might be able to whip something up using the inserters for solids, but the liquid side has me scratching my head. Anyone got any ideas?

My approach to this is essentially to measure when a certain quantity of liquid has been pumped out to the train. Pretty much the aforementioned

M_Gargantua posted:

Tanker Car <- Pump A <- Tank A <- Pump B <- Tank B <- Source.

setup with :

[Train orders]
(Fluid loading) Leave when inventory full OR Green signal > 0
(Fluid unloading) Leave when 2s inactivity OR Green signal > 0

The loading stations are set up so that when Tank A drops below a certain level, the latch outputs a Green 1. In addition, Pump A is set to pump only when Green == 0 (so when the level's too low that pump will stop trying to pump). The unloading stations are simpler, but similarly output Green 1 when they're above a threshold.

The stations also only turn on if they can give out or accept a full load (I'm not sure if you'd need that as well).

The below blueprint is my fluid loading station - it's AngelBobs though so I have no idea what Vanilla-Factorio would do with it :
code:
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

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Ratzap posted:

To give you a feel for it, my current Xanders save is up to the 12 hour mark. I have all the level 0 research done (yes, an extra level of lower research) and a lot of the red science (hand crafting). I finished my last session by building the first automation to produce belts. It's slow and will need replacing but after 12 hours of hand crafting - it's fine. I even have some electric miners.

Great summary write-up, hadn't even heard of half of those.

In terms of raw resource types, how many does Xanders need you to mine simultaneously in the early-game? Something AngelBobs does nicely is that you only need to mine two raw ores for Red science - one of the iron-rich ores (because you also get copper from them) and coal. For Green science you only need an iron-rich ore, coal and crude oil.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Fogged Reasearch is quite a fun mod to use, especially when using one of the big mods that adds lots more research (AngelBobs, Xanders, for example). Gives a much more exploratory feel to research. Obviously one of the biggest downsides is that it makes long-term research planning more tricky (you can't do things like plan out the fastest way to nuclear right off the bat) but the "ooh, I can research this now" factor makes up for it.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Bot collision-detection sounds like it could eat a crazy amount of UPS. I still like the idea of restricting the number of bots that can access a chest at the same time. You'd achieve the same throughput-throttling, and you could even tie in some infinite-research to increase the limit.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I'm mid-way through a playthrough where I was after a bit more complexity (but not nearly as insanity-inducing as AngelBobs) and I can recommend the following :

Hard crafting - mining iron or copper gives you new different types of items such as iron-nuggets, gravel, dirt, copper-sludge (as well as actual ore), so you'll need to filter/sort your ore before smelting
Simple Silicon - adds silicon wafers to a few recipes (like Red circuits)
Steam Cracking - all advanced oil processing/cracking recipes now require steam

(NB : Hard crafting adds an oil-sand resource which RSO seems to not handle, but you can turn off the oil-sand part of the mod)

If you want more in the ore-stage you can throw in Ore Chaos too - but I suspect you'll either love it or hate it...

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Underground long-distance power lines would also be a great addition, even if they needed some surface-connection building at either end.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Obligatory mod mention :
Laser beam turrets
Realistic ore colouring

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

4) Some way of activating the military and production train stations only when they're needed, so unneeded loads will wait at the production site. 1 train at a time should be fine, I guess I doubt I'll get to a point where my factory will consume 8000 beakers (one car load) before another one can be dispatched.

IMO this is the cleanest way to do it - have separate stations for each, and only activate them if there's demand for those goods. This is inherently an over-supply scenario, same as when you're producing more copper ore (as an example) than your factory needs at that moment.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

LLSix posted:

So I guess I'm hoping for a mod between vanilla and Bob, and ideally that mixes up the mid game so I'm not just stamping out the same blueprints for the twentieth time.

Using Hard crafting (and possibly Ore Chaos) might get you close to what you're after. I'd say they're more early-game, but working out nice designs to efficiently filter large quantities of all the mining products feels like a good mid-game challenge.

(NB : Hard crafting adds an oil-sand resource which RSO seemed not to handle the last time I checked, but you can turn off the oil-sand part of the mod)

Edit : links

FnF fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 27, 2018

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
^^^ You're not wrong, but judging by how strong the opinions were on all sides of the "blueprints : which design should we go with?" FF a few weeks ago, it's not that surprising that they've hedged slightly. And judging by what they've decided with the research queue (disabled by default, an option to enable it) and the numerous suggestions in this FF's thread for some sort of default-behaviour-option, I wouldn't be surprised if they implement some sort of default-behaviour-option to bypass this popup.

I'm continually impressed by the devs and their willingness to publically write up their design thoughts, ask for comments, play-test it themselves and admit that they found that a particular aspect of a feature wasn't fun. So I have faith that if they find it to not be fun, they'll improve it.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Meanwhile the actual *evolution* is based off of total pollution created.

And the number of spawners you've destroyed, AND the total game duration (you can change these in the Game Settings, but you can't turn off the evolution-via-spawner-deaths portion?)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I'd love it if someone actually used Factorio as an interview tool - it hits a lot of concepts present in software engineering and other fields too (as the above discussions show).

Separate Q : is there any kind of resource/write-up comparing the UPS costs of different Factorio techniques? E.g. mixed-belts vs. pure-belts, filter-inserters vs. filter-splitters, barrelled-fluid-belts vs. pipes, this sort of thing? I keep telling myself whatever difference is there is going to be negligible, but I still wonder.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Yeah, AngelBobs (and other such mods - Xanders is even more :psyduck: ) really push beyond what the current interface is designed for.

Mixed smelting : it can work, but is only really 'efficient' if you have a mixed ore stream (e.g. if you're using the Ore Chaos mod). If you don't care about efficiency or just want to experiment, then why not!

This was me mucking about early-game with seeing if I could do a sushi-belt strategy for my entire base. The results were ... mixed :v: In the bottom-left you can just about see the smelting blocks which took mixed/contaminated ore streams. I found that I had to make it loop round itself - and have priority over the new incoming ore - otherwise the whole thing will lock up. You still need to keep the coal on its own side of the belt - fully mixing the fuel and ore streams doesn't really work and will eventually clog up. Having multiple of these smelting blocks helps when you're not consuming enough iron/copper/bricks, because you'll have surpluses of the others which the furnaces will fill up with.

FnF fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 6, 2018

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
The Petroleum Power mod would be an alternative (even though I find it easier to just use pylons).

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Does Factorio handle multiple monitors at all? I just imagined what it would be like to have a second monitor permanently set to map-view, and it was amazing.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
What I liked about Nuclear Fuel was the more realistic nuclear cycle, while still being pretty simple and presented well. I think it adjusted other recipes too, like the nuclear bomb needing plutonium? That's a good change, and makes the player consider whether they want to prioritise U or Pu (instead of simply "more U"). I know Factorio's a game with a lot of abstraction going on, but Kovarex enrichment seemed to be a little too unrealistic for my own liking.

There're at least a couple of other mods that do this as well (Nuclear Fuel Cycle and SigmaOne's Mods: Nuclear) so I guess people have other options if you'd prefer to work on something else.

(it was still a good mod - thank you for it and your other contributions!)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Is there a keyboard shortcut you can use when an alarm goes off, that takes you to the source of the alarm?

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
'Obstructions' also includes cliffs, so if you're wanting to build walls connected to cliffs be careful you don't accidentally shift-click on a cliff and blow it up!

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
^^^ I agree, it's a fantastic feature. The one exception being when you're stamping down a block of walls to plug a hole in a set of cliffs, misclick and your robots helpfully make the hole even wider :doh:

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

I use very similar loading stations but instead of using green inserters to take off the belt, I use blues or even yellows depending on the influx. It's not perfect by any means but does a decent enough job.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
For deciding between red & purple chests, I think the question you need to ask is probably :
* Is it OK for the chest to fill up completely? If no, purple chest. If yes, red chest.

(yellow & green chests complicate this, but as a simple rule for choosing between red & purple, I think this works)

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Is there a mod that makes green circuits *slightly* more difficult to make? For some reason, it bugs the hell out of me that they only need copper and iron.

The Simple Silicon mod adds silicon as an ingredient for red & blue circuits (and is a nice small complexity increase), but leaves green circuits alone. AAI Industries changes the recipe to copper + stone tablets (or copper + wood) but I'm not entirely sold on that.

Anyone know of any others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Most likely "because it's neat". A subset of players would probably think that without it, the design is unfinished/unpolished. And/or it's an appreciation of good engineering design (I like it, even if I don't bother with that level of rigour).

The scenario is if the fuel or water supply - or waste removal - has been interrupted somehow for a long time (train congestion causing huge blockages, maybe?) - when restored, will the power plant start back up automatically? Or do you have to traipse over there and manually stick some fuel in?