Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

boo_radley posted:

Lubricant is worth it.
                  /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
So you're saying that Pump-X Boilerx-Y Engines should all go in series, and should not be split into parallel lines?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I have a bitch of a time fitting 10 steam engines in series, so what I've been doing is making a 2x5 grid linking them with a single pipe, and feeding the requisite 14 boilers down one end.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They need a discard item box. Like how Starbound or Terraria does it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

bitcoin bastard posted:

Haven't tried yet but supposedly you can put stuff in a wooden chest then blow it up. But yeah it would be nice to be able to just highlight an item and hit the delete key or drag it to a trash can icon.

You can do that but that involves waiting for the wooden chest to finish crafting and ugh.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think I'm starting to get the hang of Logistics Bots! I've got a line of them pumped out and inserted into a roboport, I don't know how many I actually have though.

Also, what lines do you typically use logibots on? I've been using them on circuits, they're put into everything, but putting circuits on a transportation belt is too slow for my liking. And since they're in everything, it forces me central line into an unholy mess.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Can they be loaded into a roboport via inserter?

That was the first thing I did.

Unfortunately, it looks like I have ~100 logibots homed to one roboport, which happens to be at one end of the base. A better question is, can I have a bunch of requester chests inserting into roboports, all requesting logibots? So to distributes my logibots across my empire?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Okay I Don't Get Rail Signals.

I have a home railway station, and 2 mining bases nearby. They're close enough that I can belt it, but gently caress it, I'm going Brojo it.

Here's the eastern iron mine. It's online.

Here is the northern copper/coal mine (I'm out of coal, but still have copper from elsewhere. The copper will be improved once I have this sorted out).

The question is, where do I place my rail signals so that I can have one train in the northern loop, then a second train in the western loop?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Unibrow posted:

I played a lot of Transport Tycoon, and the signals in this game are modeled in the same way. Basically, it partitions the span of tracks between signals as 'blocks'. If there is a train in the block, then the signal going into the block is red. If there is no train in the block, the signal is green. If you put one signal on one track (like at [B] below), it becomes a one-way track. If you also put a signal on the other side of the same track (like at [A] below), then it is a two-way track.

Now let's get your trains rolling:

So in this setup, each colored track is a 'block', and there are five blocks in the whole network. If you put down another train, you will need a similar signal setup out at your distant mining loops. But for now, you don't need signals out there.

A train pulls into cyan block (1) to unload, turning the signal red behind it. A second train from the mines pulls into green block (3) and waits at the red signal leading into your unload loop. After the first train is done, it pulls into yellow block (2), and now block (1) is empty. The second train pulls into block (1), freeing up green block (3) for the first train to head back out to the mine.

We have one-way blocks going through your unload loop, so that the trains unload facing the correct way at the station. There are two-way signals at (A) between blocks 3<->4 and 3<->5 to keep the pinch-point clear at block (3). If your Iron train is leaving block (2) into block (3), the Copper train will wait patiently in block (4) until Iron train leaves block (3).

NOTE: Railway stations are equipped with a signal, and your unload station should split cyan block (1) into two smaller blocks, but I forgot to color it that way.

Haha, yes it works perfectly!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mom discovers one weird trick to make all your attacks come to the same spot!

Biters hate it!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
looks like it's perfect!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What's a good design and ratio of solar panels and accumulators, that is also compatible with the steam engine-smart inserter trick?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Alright. I can't make any drat sense of this trick.

My steam engines are still turning on at the beginning of night, and my accumulators aren't discharging at the beginning of the night:

The sensor accumulator. The inserter feeding into the sensor chest sits isolated outside the main network.

Just one of my accumulator farms:

Here is my sensor.

What gives? What am I doing wrong?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hmm that might work. Now that I think about it, the sensor might be oversensitive and is going to be sending a red wire signal so even when the sensor accumulator hasn't run down and shut off the isolated inserter.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've worked it out. I had one block of wood. Unfortunately, that means that in the steady state, that single block of wood will spend most of its time outside the smart chest. That means the smart chest will be constantly sending a signal to the smart inserters, and so they'll be active even when the accumulators are full.

The solution was to put ~10 or so wood inside the smart chest. I had a fast inserter both extracting and inserting wood into the smart chest. That way, in the steady state, there was approximately 5 or so wood inside the smart chest, and that kept the smart inserters off.

It idea was that once the accumulator ran down, the inserting inserter would turn off, and the wood would pile up on the transport belt, and once the smart chest wood ticks down to zero, the smart inserters would receive an on signal.

Unfortunately, I've yet to stress the the system, to see if the main network would even have enough power to shift coal into the boilers and fire up the steam engines once the accumulator runs down. I went a tad overboard with accumulator blueprints.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

tonberrytoby posted:

Just add a lot of lamps to the isolated circuit if you want a stress test.
If you have lots of accumulators outside you will probably even want several accumulators for the coupling, otherwise your steam engines will turn on too fast.

Oh, that's clever, so you can force an early shutdown, and fire up the steam engines before the accumulators drain.

Terebus posted:

I haven't tried this yet but I thought the point was to have the smart chest system attached to the accumulator system so that it would be active while the accumulators had enough power but once the accumulators ran out of power they would also stop powering the inserter putting things into the smart chest, making it empty and that would toggle the green inserters on. You would have the green inserters on their own separate grid powered by a few steam engines so you wouldn't have to worry about the electrical demand from them.

In other words a constant backup power source, keeping it from melting down like Fukushima. I'll try to integrate that into the design.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What's a good ratio of copper wire assemblers to circuit board assemblers?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
One thing you can try to do with huge backstacks is put a little system of underbelt --> Inserter --> provider chest --> smart inserter --> underground belt, which means some of the throughput gets stashed away.

Here is my simplistic low-tech circuit board factory design:

It doesn't bother with any looping, and 2 inserters from each copper wire assembler feeds each circuit board assembler. I'll need to work out a better way of splitting out copper and iron bar outputs into each 3:2 assembler unit.

Also, I recently had a brainstorm for tessellating miners, here is my idea:

The whole point is that it uses both sides of the belt both ways, and its a repeating pattern. Doesn't work so well on smaller deposits, unfortunately.

Edit: aw crap, it's actually missing a section of transport belt, but its easy to spot and fix.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Ever since I've learnt how to blueprint out enormous solar and accumulator complexes, I've skipped the solid fuel recipe and just spammed out a crazy number of solar panels. 2000+ of each thus far, and I don't feel like stopping. The only limiting factor is working out my train lines. I need a more rational train station design.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Nice, organised, rational factory designs. I still don't have the hang of that.

Going around piercing mag rushing biter nests early on is quite valuable, you can get a stock of 80 something artifacts before medium biters show up, and small biters get shredded by piercing bullets.

I've also recently discovered the joys of distractor capsules. They sound worthless, but you can basically spam hundreds of disposable gun turrets biters, and they can both block pathing and tank for you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Flamethrowers are terrible at clearing trees. The SMG with piercing ammo cuts through trees just like that.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Steel is also worth bussing. But are gears and wire really worth bussing? I just make those on the spot.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Circuits, absolutely. On the thread's advice, I've been fabbing them on the spot every time I find a deposit of iron and copper.

Edit: I think I've finally gotten the hang of trains. I've been making double-rails with a space between them (so I can always potentially thread an underground belt through it. After that, I put up some signals, and they're easy to place because double-rails make alot of sense.

It turns out you can't place train signals on curved rails, meaning any time you cross the main path, it has to be via a straight rail.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 22, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Never even used beacons, what are they and what do they do?

Also, mechanics question. When merging two belts, is it faster to simply merge them by running them into each other, or by using a splitter?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Robots need powered roboports to operate from. A roboport lays out a 40x40 grid in which logibots can operate, and a 60x60 grid where construction bots can operate. However, the "inner grid" of multiple roboports have to be touching in order for robots to move within them. By placing these roboports, you've basically designated an area of the world map as part of a "logistics network" in which Logibots and CBots can operate.

Robots

Construction robots can construct, deconstruct, and repair objects. With a deconstruction blueprint, you can drag out a big red box, and CBots will fly around picking them up off the ground. And it's instant, there's zero mining time when deconstruction occurs.

With a construction blueprint, they can plant objections on the ground. This lets you set up big tesselating mining, furnace, and assembler complexes, or walls, or turret pillboxes, or solar panels/accumulators. Once you start blueprinting, you'll fall in love with them.

Logistics bots can move items from one place to another. So they can act as a low throughput alternative to belts. They can also move objects from the logistics network directly into your inventory, saving you from having to manually run up to your assembler complexes and manually pick them up.

But where do robots pick things up from, and where do they move?

There are four kinds of chests.

Passive provider chests. Treat these chests as "outputs" from your factory. Say you have an assembler making mining drills. An inserter can place mining drills into a passive provider chest, and cbots can grab mining drills from your passive provider chest and place them on the ground. Or, you could have an assembler make advanced circuits, and logibots can move them to the correct locations for you.

But where do they move items?

Requester chests. Where passive provider chests are "outputs" to your factories, requesters are "inputs". Say you have an assembler that wants to build distractor capsules. You therefore want to input advanced circuits into them. You could belt the advanced circuits all the way to the assembler... or you could place a requester chest, and have it constantly request 5 advcircuits, and have an inserter move them into the assembler. Logibots will run around picking up advcircuit from your advcircuit assemblers, and try to maintain a stack of 5 advcircuits in the chest (which will constantly tick downwards as you build more distractors). Or you could use a requester chest to move robots from your robot factory straight into your roboport. And so on.

What about everything else?

Storage chests. These are two-way chests, and can both receive and provide. You can't specifically request any items get placed in the chest. Nor should you plant them in the output of a factory, as they'll get filled with random junk. But for everything else, they go into storage chests. When your cbots tear down a forest or a section of rail, it goes into storage chests. When I have a 3 stack of train signals, I can dump them there, and I can request them out of storage at any time. They'll even take things from...

Active provider chests. These are the least commonly used chests. As soon as an item goes into them, a logibot will run up to them and pull them out, and place them into a storage chest. They might be good for train stations, so they're immediately cleared out for the next cartload of items to come in.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I guess active providers and a big central supply depot could be useful if you have smart inserters putting into active providers only if an item is below a certain threshold.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Destroyers aren't that great until purple science upgrades, you're limited to 9 followers. That's just not enough dps.

On the other hand, I've fallen in love with Distractors. "Distractor" sounds uselessly defensive, but they're not, you can spam out dozens and hundreds of the things and slaughter massive nests.

Next game, I'll have a try on distractor spam/rockets to single target down nests.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Xel posted:

Here is a 21,600 x 11,700 (27MB) map of my base. Made it with an autoit script to take the images and python script to combine them.

http://manastuff.com/map.jpg

You know, I was a tad confused about just where your factory complex was. And then I found it. That thing is tiny! Can you give a picture of it zoomed in and with and without the alt-detail?

Edit: That's a weird structure you have around some of belt corners. A splitter to double the throughput around a corner? That might be a clever idea!

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 29, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Huh, so your factory is pure logistics bots, no belts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I like having a tank for sulphuric acid and lube.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And don't make solid fuel. Skip it all. Get your plastics-advcircuits line up and running, petroleum-sulphur-battery-accumulator line up and running, and get your blueprints and roboports and construction bots, and spam out enormous solar/accumulator complexes with a single button.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Never not have storage chests having around your roboports. I dump random poo poo like train signals into those.

What they really need is a discard bin as well.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speed 1 modules are dirt cheap, and so you can pump out dozens of assembler 3s.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Plastics don't need bussing, they go straight into the advanced circuits assemblers. Stone and coal aren't used enough, I often tear out those busses after my logibots come online.

But you do want to bus basic circuits.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've built a rocket defence precisely once, never again. Nothing happens. No waves of biters encroaching the rushing flames of the landing colony ship.

Maybe once they've made more Content.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
AP ammo is just easy. Pump some Steel and Copper into an assembler, and voila. You can just spacebar your way through waves of small biters, no fuss.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I assumed they were called a bus because that's what the big fat cable that comes off your motherboard is called.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The trick is to slow down around bends and hazards.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You don't slam your foot on the accelerator as soon as you drive, y'know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Speed boost when walking on concrete or paved tiles or whatever.