Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Unless you're going to build atop them, don't bother. They'll eventually repopulate unless you build a wall around the area or have buildings nearby (in which case you'll need defenses near the buildings unless they're zero pollution like solar farms)

The "victory pole" technique seems to have been nerfed, so now you have to actually hold territory you claim, instead of just plopping a single belt on the husk of a biter base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

crabrock posted:

i thought fuel didn't affect train speed?

i always throw excess wood into my refueler boxes.

I think fuel grade affects acceleration now. Train speed is capped, so higher quality fuel + braking force research make the top speed window larger, and the runs shorter.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm really digging Goon Island because it keeps the biters at bay until you're ready to meet them on your terms. Not just that, but it also adds a scarcity that a terrestrial start doesn't have: space.
You have to get yourself up and running while being very mindful of your little spit of land (until you get landfill, but that's still loving expensive).

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
A tracking upgrade for artillery could be fun. It would probably have to be stupid expensive though, but you could be able to let your guns predict the movement of a bitter wave and fire ahead of them.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I would :allears: a Let's Play with commentary about your dad learning Factorio. You're a good kid. :kimchi:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

K8.0 posted:

But they aren't any more complex. You're just taking the same optimized blocks and sticking them together more times. The bigger you scale up the less time you spend doing any thinking, you just optimize once, then place the same thing 20 times over, then spend forever dragging out long-rear end conveyors and pipes and stuff, and then sit around for 10 minutes because it now takes forever for production to propagate. The exponential scaling of the amount of stuff required to make something happen outruns the linear scaling of design.That's what I'm not finding enjoyable. Maybe I'll feel differently if I come back to the game and start over in a few weeks, IDK.

There's always more to do though. The 20 factory blocks you just put down? they need 20 times the resources coming in so you need to source another patch of raw materials in order to keep from choking your production in other sectors. Time to scout out a new patch. Maybe you're thinking about smelting on site now or having a dedicated smelting area to bring finished plates into your factory. Now's the time! Expand the factory to meet the needs of the expanding factory!

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Yeah I'm kinda leaning toward starting again and making my first factory just a rush to rails and setting up individual factories to produce a few products each and then training them to a new factory each time I tech up, and when I get oil making a point to convert everything possible from coal to solid fuel just for the hell of having it on a feedback loop.

I do like the pressure of having enemies, I honestly wish they were significantly harder to deal with but maybe that ramps up more if I play differently or get closer to late game so I don't think I'll crank it up yet.

There's no need to start all over if you want to try a new idea without the hand-inserter phase. You can use what you've got established so far in order to rebuild a more optimal base somewhere else. Personally, the first hour of the game is the biggest hump for me to get over because babysitting a dozen miners, a belt factory and an embryonic lab is particularly tedious. Once you're ready to go live on your new bus, just redirect your raw resources away from your old complex and start disassembling it.
I'm working on a new complex with distributed ore processing and red and green chip assembly in my current save, and I'm toying with the idea of setting up a central warehouse and doing a fully distributed system with on-demand train dispatch.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Sorry for the double, but I'm thinking on how to run a universal unloader while having inventory control in place. I'm not super great with circuit logic yet but my initial thought is to set the station to read the contents of the train, then compare it with either the inventory on hand or a SR-type yes/no switch, so that if the Depot needs more stuff it will allow an unload and if it doesn't, it blocks the inserters and sends the train away.
I'm sure the better option is to use either a signal-controlled parking lot or to run comm lines along the rail network, but beyond basic latches and turning off old ore patches as they dry up, I don't even know what I don't know w/r/t logic in this game.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

what loader mods do people use?i wanted to try to texago TA miners that were talked about earlier, the mod page for them says "recommended to use with loaders," and now that i've typed in "loader" into the mod search there's like 8 different options

I also got Angel's Warehouse mod to stick on the output of the TA miners in order to plug multiple loaders (up to 18!) into one miner.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Havana Affair posted:

Is there a way to make SR latch that first reaches a value and then resets when the value drops to 0? I have a mining outpost with on-site smelters and I'd like the miners to turn off when the belt feeding the smelter backs up (ore > x) and turn back on when the belt is completely cleared (ore = 0). I can't figure out how to make this work when the reset signal is lower than the set signal. I don't think this has any benefits but I think it would be neat to look at.

The SR latch I use is 3 deciders

code:
Item < lower threshold = S
                    > S>R=S(fed back into itself)--plant
Item>upper thershold = R

But in this case I would flip it so that S>= 8(?), however many for on a belt and R=0. Daisy chain the output to your input inserters in your smelters so they turn on when your belt fills up and stay on until the belt is empty.

Royal W fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 15, 2019

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

TigerXtrm posted:

I'm looking forward to proper 'continent' maps, instead of the swampy water puddle maps that we get a lot now (like they said in the blog). It'd be really cool to have a really large island of sorts, and having to landfill your way over to the next 'continent' when running out of resources.

In other news, Logistic Train Network is the best mod ever and I am never playing this game again without it.

I second the LTN love, with the caveat that if you are retrofitting your existing rail network to an LTN, make sure all your current trains are empty before sticking them in the depots. I'm still picking red chips out of my copper plant after 2 hours or changing stops around.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
It wouldn't be too bad if you made the overheating mechanic something uncomfortable but not painful; like a factory slowdown as opposed to buildings blowing up.
It could be an interesting new layer to have to tie your buildings together with heat pipe and then send the heat to a water powered cooling tower.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's fantastic news; thanks for linking it. I should probably read their announcements more regularly.

If you're keeping score at home, that means that blue belts are getting their throughput buffed by 50%; they currently move items at 40/sec. :yeah:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
E: Reading for understanding is for winners! :saddowns:

Royal W fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 19, 2019

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm noticing a new behavior and I wonder if there's any documentation about it.

It's super awesome that ore patches are revealed; I'm just wondering if this is new vanilla behavior or maybe new behavior from RSO.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yup it was added to vanilla to balance with the biters being more aggressive, so you can plan ahead where to outpost.

:yeah: That rules.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm 120 hours and about 230 rockets into my longest save and I feel like I have to plug TA miners, Angel Warehouses, and Loaders for breathing new life into the post-game. I'm also trying out LTN, but I didn't rtfm and have spent more time fixing stuff I broke trying to be clever than actually running it.

Anyway, with warehouses and Loaders, I feel like I'm able to more tightly control material flow into my new distributed production plan by putting down only as many loaders as I want belts of input, from one to 48 belts of whatever color I need, with the way my trains are laid out.

At this point, I have separate plants for gears, steel, red and green chips, oil, solid fuel production, engines, and red, green, and blue science (fed by the engine plant). Purple and yellow science are going g to be a chore, and I'm going to need to build feeder plants for electric furnaces and modules, as well as setting up a sulfur plant to feed blue chips, and probably opening another copper processor, but I feel like changing the scope of play and the way I think about the game have been so refreshing, and I have a whole new vigor about the game.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

The thing I really like about loaders and warehouses is that they work great as balancers.

I have a custom made megamap with huge rectangular ore patches that I currently have a couple thousand miners on. I'm going to have to give that TA Miners mod a try.

Warehouses and loaders are almost a necessity for the TA miners, because the top level ones spit out ore faster than any one inserter can handle, and they only have one output.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

What is this?
You either have a demand deficit and need to expand, or you have a supply deficit and need to expand.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm still working on my distributed manufacturing base and realized I wasn't pushing green chips as much as I needed to be, so I built a new manufacturing plant for them.

At full steam, I can push 16 blue belts of green circuits and 47k/second.

Now I need to overhaul my copper plate plant in order to keep up.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

The Locator posted:

:stare:

I have no idea what those structures at the.. loading? Unloading? thing in that last screenshot are, I've never seen those large structures or the blue things where I would expect inserters to be.

Edit: Also what is the point of something like that? Just doing it to see how much you can do?

The point of the ridiculous levels of production is purely post-game research. For example, currently I can research robot speed 13 at a cost of 64,000 of each science as well as 64k minutes of time. In order to be able to hit that without spending days of game time, I need absurd levels of production.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm using warehouses and Loaders, but here is my solution for post-game green circuits:

The loaders keep me from having to mess around with belt balancers since I have 6 hooked up to each of 8 Warehouse fed from my trains.
Most of my production is stalled right now as I work on building distributed plants for all my science, but this plant will do 47k green circuits a minute if it's fully fed.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Ixjuvin posted:

Thanks for the replies guys, this in particular looks pretty useful. I think I'm just trying to build spaghetti in a small space for literally no reason and just need to spread out a little more.

Wanting to be space efficient isn't necessarily a bad thing, but do keep in mind that space is infinite, so its only real value is tied to the time it takes to cross.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm simultaneously excited for a streamlined oil process and paralyzed with anxiety at the thought of loading my 200+ hour megabase and having to retool my distributed blue science and rocket fuel plants, in addition to having to hugely expand my sulfur production and slash my solid fuel. :ohdear:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

You don’t really have to hugely expand sulfur, it’s an incredibly efficient recipe.

On the new map I’m working on with the new oil, one chemical plant making sulfur is considerably more than enough for 1.5 sci/sec. I’m away from home and don’t know the numbers exactly but it’s considerably cheaper than solid fuel was.

Until this patch I haven't needed sulfur alone on the scales to feed something like a 1600/s blue science plant, so other than some surplus floating around my starting base, my net sulfur production is more or less zero.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Travic posted:

Captain Planet doesn't stand a chance.

:perfect:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I picked up IndRev after reading the FFF too. It's a huge step up in complexity and it makes the burner phase uncomfortably long, but all in all, I enjoy it because it's making me have to re-learn and in most cases, invent new solutions to production problems.
After about 5 hours, I'm just now getting copper and tin on a bus and getting inserters, belts and some red science automated. Now I need to dive deep into bronze to get ore crushers running so I can make glass for green science.

Edit: Got some work done tonight and got a rudimentary as gently caress red and green science setup to get me to iron and power.

Royal W fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 12, 2019

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

This is my bonzai tree.

I have never been able to articulate the feeling of factorio until this moment.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Travic posted:

So I've finally worked up the courage to start my Mega Base.

Is there a way in the base game to have multiple stops and the train stops at the first vacant one to unload then head back?

Decide what you want each stop to do, and then make a circuit that turns the stop on/off depending on whether or not you want the train to stop there.

For example, I have my oil patches labeled "Oil (%N)". I have my fluid trains scheduled to hit them in order and then return to the refinery. However, I also wired up the storage tanks at the oilfields to only turn the train stop on when there is a full train load of oil to be picked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

GotLag posted:

Every now and then I check the "Won't fix" "1 / 0 magic" sections of the Factorio bug reports forum

Sometimes they're really :kimchi:
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=80810

I know of no other game developer that goes to this length.

That is amazing support. :kimchi:

"There's your problem. Dang cosmic rays getting into your hardware again. Anyway here's your fixed save, no charge"