Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So after a few games I've decided the default settings are way too easy. Solution?

Imminent game over detected :jeb:

Oh god help me

E: ~15 starts later.
Shortest Game: 1 second.
Longest Game: 2 minutes.

I concede defeat.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Sam. posted:

How would you do nuclear power so it's not just "mine uranium, refine it, move it to plant"?

Could always go with the common game-y solution of making them incredibly volatile. Failure to supply sufficient water or purge the waste could leave massive irradiated craters where said plant was.

Would require tinkering with the dominance of solar panels, though.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Default rail world start with a random seed and reveal LUA code.

E: All the advanced/resource settings are available for all the presets, too.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 24, 2017

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

seravid posted:

Nice. Could you hover over some of those patches and see it they grow richer the further you go? If there is a way to scroll through the map (or teleport or something) so you're not stuck in the starting area, that'd be great too :shobon:

Sure! Will take a bit to reveal it all but should be done soon.

Done!

RailWorld "Default" (with biters turned off)
Resources seem to average ~40-100 times higher at ~35k tiles diagonally away from spawn.

E: There's a 473m copper patch close by there, too.
E2: Hmm

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I think the numbers may have gone a bit wacky.

At least there's no more worrying about oil ever at all.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I've always found myself enjoying the game a whole lot more when efficiency gets thrown out the window and instead turning to the true way of JustBuildMore. Also marathon AngelBob's. But that's probably just masochism.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
TinyStart is amazing for this. It makes the early game so much better when you can clear forest and lay down buildings lazily.

For automated wood that doesn't affect the world there's plenty and the standard AngelBobs makes use of them but none that are designed around the landscape afaik.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

but I want to reduce that huge pollution cloud
:confused:

The bigger the pollution cloud the better you're doing! More factories, more power, more pollution. Pave the world!

In more seriousness - anything that burns will contribute significantly to pollution. Early on this will mostly be your smelters and boilers while later you can clean up some of it by switching to solar if you wish. Trees absorb some pollution as well if you don't clearcut everything.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Turning off biters means not being able to shell them with nuclear hellfire. A true waste if you ask me.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
I'd heavily suggest TinyStart. Especially for AngelBob's. Let you clear out forests early and also rebuild/design complex factories without pulling your hair out.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Have some seablock screenshots because I'm a masochist playing it on marathon with expert recipes.

Note: This is a fraction of the total infrastructure pieces needed. The buildings are mostly accurate though.

The goal here was to be able to run 2 sorters with 100% uptime. Ignore the electrolyzers up top as that's part of the old t1 system :v: Running the fast dirtwater electrolysis recipe on the new electrolyzer block.

But of course power was also needed which meant a whole boatload of algae

But hey at least I now have a power capacity of 139 MW :shepicide: Current entire base uses ~60MW so the system is heavily in the net positive as self-contained unit.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 4, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Could have just been a boring person who never used trains that crisscross through the base at random.

I hear some crazy folk even do organization.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

They're inefficient and a bandaid for poor demand planning

You mean an inefficient but very simple way to balance resources with minimal effort and easy expansion.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

Do people not play seablock anymore? Holy poo poo I love seablock.

Warptorio2 is also incredible, but it's basically a tower defence game.

I still tinker with my marathon seablock world occasionally but the sheer amount of infrastructure needed to keep it going means hours of handplaced buildings.

'Rushing' sniper turrets was also required to be able to expand as the worms tended to instantly murder normal turrets.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah I really think seablock has an undeserved or rather outdated rep.

Outdated, definitely. It had years of updates and is still in sort-of-active development and is a perfectly solid modpack if you just want to chill.

Unless it's Marathon. Seablock with expert costs is FunTM.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Angelbob's really shined on Seablock, imo, the quest for ever more complex refining chains makes a lot more sense when your input is limited to an incredibly inefficient source instead of essentially infinite fields. K2SE otoh has felt great with the normal oregen - probably because of the simpler refining process and more interesting component challenges so far.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Tamba posted:

New FFF, but it's kind of weird:
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-375

Everything has a quality now, so you can either just mass produce the normal stuff like before, or roll the dice to get a better quality.

e: Honestly, this could have been an April Fools' post and no one would have batted an eye

My first thought was 'why?' then I sat and had a think and y'know what I love it. More reasons to create insane facilities is a good thing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
A bit painful. Hopefully splitters can filter for quality.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

ymgve posted:

they show splitters filtering for quality in the blog post

Ah, missed that. At least organization will remain pretty painless.

Oxyclean posted:

yeah, really feel like that's going to make inventory/storage management a nightmare. Like even if you aren't hand crafting, you might end up in a situation where you need to pick stuff up, or just end up with poo poo in your inventory.

I guess there's bots and a recycler if you want a process to just get rid of crap.

From my own reading it seems like you can't even get a higher quality item without slotting in modules so handcrafting /early bases will remain exactly the same and you'll only have to faff with all that extra stuff if you want to.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Belt busses are more than sufficient for vanilla and even most modpacks if you're willing to embrace some belt chaos. If you dig into more complex modpacks I would really suggest crash coursing how trains and circuits wires work though as building your own modular rail bases both looks awesome and are so much easier to expand with.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, yeah, that makes tremendous sense.

To feed the burners I meant the furnaces. They burn fuel; everything else besides the water boilers runs on electricity so far. So I can't just ship in the ore, I'll need to bring in coal too, which is why I thought it might be better to just build them next to the coal. And I don't have anything built yet to show you, no.

The hobo solution to early furnaces is to have a chest hooked to each one and just siphon off a ton of coal to fill them manually. A full chest of coal per furnace will last you at least most of the way to electrics and save you a bunch of faffing with routing.

Another early solution would be a mixed belt with both coal and the ore you want smelted but that means half the furnaces per split, obviously. Bunch of solutions available.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Burner inserters being able to fill themselves makes them bearable for mixed belts but just lol at using them for longer than the earliest phases. And electric furnaces always get placed down during the Great Overhaul once bots and trains get researched as throughput is much nicer than useless energy saving.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Does Space Ex still add those meteors you can't turn off?

Yeah but they're also not really a problem. Early on the chances of one hitting your base are slim and later the defenses are cheap and on the low chance one slips through the bots will just rebuild.

Think I had one hit my miners early before defenses and nothing else before later planets.

The first* (technically second as one is at the beginning of the run) solar flare will do far more damage but should only realistically get one before defenses are built for that too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For SpaceEx specifically the jetpack + bots + rocket launcher lets you just blitz through hives dodging spitters.

Seriously mass produce rockets. It's nuts.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

The Locator posted:

I use a mod that I can't remember the name of right now that gives the ability to set up inserters to drop near/far

Bob's Adjustable Inserters maybe? It's the most popular one I can think of, at least.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Inserters hanging off the edge, grabbing salvage for refining as it goes.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Just the title is enough to know this is going to be a fun one.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Majere posted:

Still unchecking that cliffs box. :colbert:

Unchecking the cliffs generation instead permanently maxes out frequency and length.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Is there still a mod that causes driving to snap to the cardinal directions? I'm really missing that one.

VehicleSnap should still be working with the current version.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

JonBolds posted:

The trick with the deeply unenjoyable beacon-based gameplay is to just not do it.

Yeah the secret is that even less than optimal designs still work

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Rosalie_A posted:

hey the ultracube mod dev posts here, right?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cubutt

I have questions.

10/10. No notes. Perfection.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Turning off all biters on Nauvis helped a ton with my SE game. Cliffs as well to help with pathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-405

Curious what the performance impact of reading an entire belt is. I assume its tapping into some deep belt optimization code that was already there?

I can't help but feel the belt reader is specifically aimed at Dosh because of the horror of sushi base.