Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Downloaded the demo a few days ago and bought the full game the same day. It is freaking amazing.

The thing I like most about it is that 'full screen' is actually borderless windowed. FINALLY. First developer I've seen that got this right.

Edit: Also, thanks for the tips on self sustaining coal mining at the start. Got this little quad going. 4 burners, 4 burner inserters and 4 chests.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evilreaver posted:

You don't need the chests or inserters. The miners can insert directly into one another, and ctrl-click (or shift-click? I forget) to take all the coal out of each one.

Yes, I am aware of that. The miners only have a buffer of 50, though. The chests make it so I can go off and do something else for a few minutes and come back to more than 50 coal per.

Edit:

Foehammer posted:

You guys might be interested in Big Pharma: http://bigpharmagame.com/

Scratches a lot of the same itches.

Does this game have a demo? I didn't see one on the site and I'm not spending $20 for something that looks similar to factorio without playing it first.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 4, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there a way to change the color of pollution on the map? I prefer making my bases in grassland / forest biomes and since I'm slightly red/green colorblind, I can't tell where the light red overlay ends on a dark green background. Makes it impossible to tell if it's overlaying a biter spawner. :(

Edit:

Fans posted:

In Factorio/data/core/graphics/ there's an image named pollution-visualization.png, change that to a color you prefer and it'll change your pollution overlay.

You'll need to do it every time the game updates though.

Thanks. I opened it in paint.net and inverted the color. Now I have a light blue overlay.. which is super visible. Better than the old color.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Fans posted:

- Lab research is now continuous. Science packs have progress bars of usage.

Finally. It looks like this will fix the bug of science packs vanishing into the aether if you have x number of labs that don't divide evenly into the research requirements. As it is right now, if you're researching a 100 pack tech and you have say 11 labs that all start at the same time and are supplied fully, you will have 10 packs be wasted at the last stage. It will also mean you won't have to micro the starting packs in a lab.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Could someone who is fairly late game (most techs unlocked and full logistic network solar etc) with few or no mods post a link to their save and the mod list so I can get an idea of how to make a REAL base? The furthest I've gotten so far is laser turrets and construction bots. Still haven't automated blue science yet. And I keep starting a new game as I learn better tricks.

Edit: Also, what settings do you typically use for a new game and how many times do you remake it until you get good starting resources? I've found myself regenerating it fifty times in a row because the previous 49 weren't good enough.

Edit 2: VVVVVV Thanks! Man, destroyer capsules sure are OP. I went for an enemy base tour in the solar save and they just annihilated even the largest ones. No contest for the biters.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 26, 2015

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Hagop posted:

Their are a number of modular, self balancing, and/or auto transferring chest mods. Though I don't know of any just really big chest mods.

The ShadowsMegaModpack that I'm running right now has one. They're in "MAIN-Dytech-Machine".

It's not filterable, though.

There is a 'Stainless Steel Wagon' mod though that has a gigantic boxcar which is filterable.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you're having problems with trees, get the Explosive Termites mod. It adds two new items, Explosive Termites and Alien Explosive Termites, which will literally take out an entire forest a few hundred tiles in diameter. I've been using them liberally in this modpack.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

That doesn't exist anymore.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

This is cool and good and I can't wait to build one in the game.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I started playing Factorio about 10 months ago with 11.22, and I explored most of ShadowMegaModPack that had among other things, Dytech, Bob's mods, and Yuoki industries. Yeah, it's a bit on the gregtech level, but I did like the added 'realism', since Dytech / Bob's mods seemed to explore what you would need to actually make this stuff in real life. I actually progressed pretty far in it, too. Not sure if I want to do that again, though, since it rather burned me out on Factorio and it's difficult to pick it up again. Here's a link to Shadow's updated mega mod pack which seems to have most of the same mods and some new ones.

Edit: and here's an image from my post in June last year of the insane machine hodgepodge I had going on.

I am astonished at the number of posts recently. It looks like quite a few goons started playing it since the Steam release.

I have noticed one weird interaction with the water generation. When it's 'only starting area', it generates this weird patchwork of desert and grassland with just dead trees everywhere, but on any other setting you get true deserts or dense forests and grasslands. I only tried about 6 iterations of each but it's consistent.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 3, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if electric trains will become a thing, eventually. Powered third rail, which means you would have to build crossings where you want to walk across it or Zzzzzztt. Would make a great biter defense too if you layered enough of them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Suspicious Dish posted:

things i would want from the video game:

* either double-down on the windows 3.1 nature of the game by adding "yes, my lord" sound effects or make it look like the last 30 years of graphics tech improvements happened
Yeah, the graphics still leave a bit to be desired especially on higher UI scales at 2560x1440 or 4k. Hit up https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=13142 for a high res graphic mod.
* a less lovely ui and controls. if i put poo poo on my toolbelt i want it to stay there even if i run out of resources. i want to be able to load in my burner miners without opening an annoying popup.
From the Controls settings

Also, note this says 'entity transfer', this means the item you are holding in your hand (cursor)

* especially inventory management. i should not have to build a waste disposal robot or an iron crate to store all these burner miners i'm never going to use again.
This seems like pointless griping. I've never had a problem with placing a random crate somewhere to store old stuff in.
* not having to find a power pole to click on to see my energy network. hidden features like that should be large buttons in the ui. openttd's ui had the right idea
As other people have said, multiple power networks. I do agree that they need to have a complete list of power networks you have and you can select each one to see the stats.
* not having autosave pause my game for a split second stopping all audio and breaking my concentration. actually, i would want map-specific autosave rather than just the last three times i did something, overwriting my old autosaves.
Map specific autosave would be a huge improvement.
* if i'm standing on a spot, my character should just move out of the way rather than having him block building placement. that's just tedium more than anything.
WASD are your friends. Dance around that spot like a boss.
* a faster way to pick up stuff off of the ground. fast removal of an accidental conveyor belt placement shouldn't be an upgrade.
Perhaps you're looking for ? It would be nice to instantly remove constructions. Perhaps a mod.
* a tutorial that's been proof read
Agreed.
that's really it. game's fun when it works, but i tend to find myself often fighting with the controls to get stuff done.

Perhaps we should go start a suggestions thread on the official forums.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

When you said silly gimmicky things with lights, uh, dang you weren't kidding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=indN4kcshB0

:allears: This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. How in the world did they manage that...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Can't you just mod the train to do zero damage to players?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
For those who didn't read the blog, they're actually implementing separate bogies that the train chassis sits on so it looks better going around curves.
gifv link < Is there a way to embed this?

fakeedit: actually it looks a little weird

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The most amazing thing about this game is that of the over TEN THOUSAND steam reviews, 98% of them are positive. You never see that high of a percentage liking any of the other 'early access' games on steam. Honestly, I haven't played it since it was released on steam though, been getting back into modded minecraft and it's just too much fun to even think about Factorio again.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Chunjee posted:

There is also this: http://store.steampowered.com/app/254200 Not early access

Screenshots don't look pretty but it sounds like the automation gameplay is there. If I ever have free time I want to check it out.

Fortresscraft evolved is a frustrating grindy piece of poo poo. I bought it, played it for about an hour and got a refund. The control interface is absolutely terrible and I'm not sure why it has so many positive reviews.

e. It's literally a Gregcraft game, if you're familiar with the minecraft mod.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 22, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Now let us have the option to have the inserter pick up from the near side of a belt and place on the far side, or vice versa.

Only mostly kidding, but seriously, that mod is amazing.

Orrrr, have the inserter be a crazy conglomeration of a near and far inserter, and pick up from a close belt and place on a far one, on the same side. That could have all sorts of uses...

Now I'm imagining some sort of construct that hovers over two belts and transfers part of the contents off onto two sides of a third belt at inserter speed. A triple wide inserter splitter, if you will, except it just takes from belt 1 and 2 and puts them on each side of belt 3 while letting belts 1 and 2 continue on.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 3, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I think that pipes should only connect to each other if you're deliberately dragging from an existing one. Would make it slightly more tedious in some areas but I think it would improve the overall gameplay.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So apparently DmitriX's server is hard locking the moment a fourth player tries to join. :wtc:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

DmitriX posted:

It's not hard locking- in fact the server itself is EXTREMELY stable.
Factorio, however, does poo poo itself and just goes into an infinite drop player-add player loop, for SOME reason.

I meant the factorio server instance, sorry. Not the actual box.

E. Yeah, 13.4 has some issues. I was clicking through the public factorio servers and the game crashed.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 4, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Sometimes I think I'm driving myself insane by trying to fit too much stuff in a tiny little area. This is on DimitrX's Bobs mod server. I still need to get plastic/silicon/circuit boards in there instead of just fed from boxes, not sure if it's possible.

e. I think I'm just going to rush the relevant logistics bots techs and let the bots handle it.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 5, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Man, bobmodules mk3 beacons and tier8 productivity modules are FUN. The assembly machines are +3360% prod and the rocket silos +4480% for a combined multiplier of like 16,000% or using less than 10 steel plates per rocket. This is on Regallion's server.

e. 34 ion cannons in orbit now hell yeah

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 8, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
This friday facts from November of last year showed this gif of placing rails en masse; is it not implemented yet in 13.x? I thought it was but I can't figure out how to get it going.
http://i.imgur.com/mzUjyRw.gifv

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Crossposting this from the PGS thread.

Ambaire posted:

Yeah buddy. 256 orbital ion cannons ready to rain down death and destruction upon the natives.

I'm gonna be hearing 'ION CANNON READY' in my dreams.

Also, I replaced the red belts with ion cannon targeting devices.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

DmitriX posted:

The goon server is now running bob marathon.
abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

I'm playing this right now. It's actually not that bad... we beat the old map way too fast so this should stretch it out a bit. Pity about the current 3 player limit...

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

quote:

Map size is now limited to 2000 km by 2000 km with a black bar rather than crashing when reaching this distance

Does that explain this? Although it's only like 2km from the center of the map, not 2000km. Seems buggy... This is on DimitrX's server.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 11, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
DimitrX executed the screenshot command while I was on the server for a 10000x10000 image, which turned out to be saved to my local application directory. Sadly, I couldn't upload the full 190mb png file but I did upload this 19mb jpg (which got scaled down to 5000x5000) which still looks amazing. Behold, the glory of a marathon bobs base.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
And have another one, this time with labels on.

e. The marathon mod with bobs is insane. The factory is using 17k copper plates as 3.2k copper wire a minute for a grand 16 blue science a minute. And that's with all the other blue circuit stuff topped off.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 13, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NatasDog posted:

Autofill is part of the base game now. You place it like concrete, using the numpad + or - to change the size of the patch you're filling.

It's kind of lovely without long reach though, can't fill max size patches of water due to your reach being so short.

E; still better than the old autofill though, I should say

I'm pretty sure he means the autofill that auto puts ammo in placed turrets tanks etc, which is not part of the base game.

After playing with it on this server, I don't think I'll play without it again. Spamming sniper turrets to kill an enemy base is too much fun.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally beat the vanilla game for the first time, doing lazy bastard run. I got Lazy bastard, logistic network embargo, raining bullets and steam all the way. Now I can actually have some fun the next go. I only started on the rocket about 1h15m before the 15 hour mark, figured I might as well try for it and I made it with 5 minutes to spare. This was with doing a couple emergency steam engine runs and doubling my steel production halfway through... I normally play modded with Bobs mods and stuff so I've never actually done the second half of the vanilla game. It was an interesting experience.

The rail line is for barreled oil since I didn't feel like going through the hassle of another underground pipe run. It was surprisingly painless to set up.

Lots of optimizations to be made...
I have 173 hours in this game on steam with a few hundred more before.
e. For some weird reason I got 'Run forrest run destroy 100 trees by impact' by shooting trees with the car's mg.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 6, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I forgot how much I love this game. Second vanilla factory going strong, doing a proper main bus this time instead of helter skelter nonsense. Here's my belt/inserter assembler complex... it's a bit messy but hey it works.

And the science complex.

e. Fixed a belt on the first one and added an assembler assembler set.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 7, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Eh, sorry about the gigantic images, heh.

e. This is what happens when you set biters to very big, poor quality. Hurray for laser turret spam...

e2. Or just take a flamethrower to them with 5 exos and 4 mk2 shields. Hello there, darlings.

I'm trying to get a combinator setup so my steam engines only turn on if the accumulators have less than 20% charge left and turn off when the accumulators have more than 60% or so but I can't remember how to do that and google isn't being helpful. I know when I was playing in DimitrX's server that someone set something up that only needed two decider combinators but I can't figure it out... This is 100% vanilla no mods.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 7, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NatasDog posted:

<snip>
black magic wizard trickery
</snip>

I set them up as you said and it works. I don't know how or why but I'm determined to understand what that negative value does.

e. I sorta understand it but it's still wizard trickery. heh

oh, I see. So when a combinator has multiple inputs they're automatically added together. Now it makes sense.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 8, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

climboutonalimb posted:

I'm not quite following what's going on here. can you show me what your circuit connections look like?

Just do exactly what NatasDog said to, a few posts up.

e. I just finished installing a crapton of mods but I removed them and got the save back to take a few snips.

This will turn the steam engines on at 20% and turn them off at 80%. Also, this particular set of steam engines is done entirely with burner inserters so the power switch goes to the engines.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 9, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
While going through /r/factorio on imgur I found this :catdrugs: solar panel / accumulator setup that I think I'm going to try doing for my next factory. Just uses basic steel power poles and roboports, no substations required.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

quote:

Nuclear power

I want a clone of modded Minecraft's Mekanism fusion power in Factorio. Deuterium from seawater, tritium from neutron activation of lithium also from seawater, takes a bit to get the machines up and a hefty power injection to start the reaction but once you do it's free power forever with just a bit of power used for fuel processing. It all comes from the ocean.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ratzap posted:

Go post it on their board if you really have a strong opinion. The FFF specifically asks for suggestions - speak up or forever hold your peace you know.

Ambaire posted:

I want a clone of modded Minecraft's Mekanism fusion power in Factorio. Deuterium from seawater, tritium from neutron activation of lithium also from seawater, takes a bit to get the machines up and a hefty power injection to start the reaction but once you do it's free power forever with just a bit of power used for fuel processing. It all comes from the ocean.

And... thread posted in suggestion forums.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

I think I just about died laughing. I'm going to use that mod just to spice things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Well, this is interesting. Came across this post on Reddit; some guy did research and found for a given set of map generation parameters, it will always generate the same map and the seed only determines where you start on the map. Also confirmed by a dev in the bug report thread that map generation is deterministic.

In summary, there is only 1 map that everyone plays on, for a given set of resource generation parameters.