Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Um. I just got in game, and the combat shotgun and piercing shells are nerfed to hell and back for me. Anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

President Ark posted:

I'm hesitant to buy this before it gets on Steam because Steam has spoiled me with everything magically auto-updating. How much of a pain is updating this?

Run the game.

If you want this update, check the "experimental updates" option.

Edit: also, it's all the fun parts of Anno, if that helps you make up your mind.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Samopsa posted:

autofeed the burner inserters with even more burner inserters :getin:

Unnecessary, one of the patch notes said that burner inserters will grab their own coal if available.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

MrYenko posted:

gently caress you, game.

I know base64 when I see it, but I can't figure out what you're trying to say.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Boogalo posted:

Happy Factorio blog post day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmi1lDRoBcc

:swoon:

(MP not released yet)

New enemy type coming up too: Spitters

http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-55

I don't think MP will be out in any sort for months. I mean, it's not dwarf fortress, but I expect indie games to have increasingly longer major release cycles as version numbers go up.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
What about automatic rail laying machine? Not using that for some reason?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

MrYenko posted:

Why would you bother balancing the output from a single burner mine? That's some pretty :spergin: poo poo.

:thejoke:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Niavmai posted:

Is anyone trying to setup goon multiplayer? All of my friends are lame asses and don't play the game. :(

I might consider making something when(if?) they release dedicated servers.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Boogalo posted:

A lot of the desync issues should be cleared up with 11.4, scheduled for release Thursday.

But what about the 1 trillion year reconnect time?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Wow. Maximum :spergin:

Edit: Max sperg is just how you win at the game, that's all I'm saying.

ikanreed fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 2, 2014

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Evilreaver posted:

Hey wait a minute, don't train oil! While it's nice for a logistics puzzle, barreling/training/emptying/refilling barrels is hugely less efficient than making a long pipeline.

Making the traintrack alone will triple (or more) your Iron cost for base connection, let alone the sets of inserters, barrel costs, engines etc. Plus, the pipeline has virtually no limit on bandwidth (like 120/sec, which is like 80 healthy pumpjacks) and nearly-instant transport.

I would like barrelling to be the way to go since it is a nice puzzle to solve, but currently, don't train oil.

I see you like hooking up pipe after pipe after pipe instead of just letting logistic bots do all the work of building straight tracks.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Michaellaneous posted:

Not sure why...

1. You cannot do that the same way with pipes?

and how...

2. You got logistics in the middle of nowhere?

Oh, I see, you haven't lived with spitters very long then. Building little minibases that eventually get leveled.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Use logistics robots to place roboports. Everything is logistics bots

Except things you can bring by trains. Because :spergin:.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Neruz posted:

The fact that you need an entire assembler to barrel\unbarrel liquids is really excessive too; would make more sense if there was a specialized 'barrel tap' that you could build relatively cheaply and tape to the end of any pipe to put empty barrels in and get full barrels out. Requiring me to make and run power to an assembler just to put a hose in a barrel and fill it up with liquid is too much.

That's logical if you're doing it by hand. But an assembler represents the idea of a device that can swap in a barrel, properly fill it to to the brim, cap it, and be ready for the next barrel.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Has anyone tried using efficiency modules on bottling/unbottling to generate free oil?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ineptitude posted:

Been a while since i played this, gonna play a new game and check out some of the new features and also test my luck with some mods.

What is the best/most extensive mod nowadays? Is it still DyTech? I saw it get some criticism for being needlessly complicated

People complain, but when you've beaten the game, all mods can really do is add complexity to create new challenges.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

RVT posted:

Yeah after I posted, I turned all the trains on and the rail signals seem to predict when a train is going to cross in front of them and switch to red early. I didn't realize they did anything other than - "is track ahead clear? if yes --> green".

The "perform change" thing on the station name does nothing at all in my game. Version 0.9.8. I have check for updates on start on. I assumed I was being patched, but I guess not and I'm using a really old version. I assume the save isn't compatible with the current version?

I personally haven't had any issues with the save games transferring versions.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Lorini posted:

You know, those videos sure make the game look a lot easier than it is, at least for me. How do you get inserters to fuel themselves or do you not bother and move on to electric ones?

I haven't actually run into a situation where burner inserters are useful.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Uncomfortable Gaze posted:

So I know I can shift-click to place something, and construction bots will do it for you. Is there any way to do this without having at least one of that item in your inventory? Other than creating a blueprint for a single item. I just want to free a bunch of inventory space.

No.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Evilreaver posted:

Same here. If there are doomsday bugs in a particular release (which has happened only twice to my knowledge) I make a point to post about it to warn folks, and when the hotfix drops a day or two later.

Speaking up, don't update today.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Shintaro posted:

What's busted?

Connecting to multiplayer.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Spaseman posted:

Does anyone else experience an issue with the game slowing down or speeding up for a few seconds every 20ish seconds? I'm wondering if it has something to do with using the 64bit version but I want to say I've experienced the same with the 32bit version in the past.

I assume this is not multiplayer?

I've never had that issue singleplayer, but multiplayer, getting of wi-fi and using a real network cable resolved that stuttering for me.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Michaellaneous posted:

I don't think I ever played a game where Vsync did anything else but cause issues.

It's designed for CRTs, which can tear, unlike flatscreens.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The patch notes seem to imply competitive multiplayer. Not being able to interface with "enemy" structures in various ways.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Neruz posted:

That said in the not too distant future it seems that the 'rocket defense' is going to get replaced with a straight up space rocket :v:

I get it. I get jokes.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

LLSix posted:

What are your favorite ways to set up oil processing? I always spend as much time fiddling with oil processing as I do with everything else and it never works out as well as I'd hoped. Is there a good way to integrate it with a central bus?

Just get a "barrel any liquid" mod.

Edit: let me clarify. If you're going to be boring and try and bus it. The point of fluid handling is that it represents a different class of challenge from belt based ones, forcing you to think more creatively. Trying to force it into the same paradigm is boring, but if you want to, you can with an easy mod.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Poison capsule turrets.

Distraction capsule turrets.

Train turrets.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I got the headless server running indefinitely on my server. Anyone who wants to connect can(modless). The address is ikanreed.net:34197.

If it blows up, let me know.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed posted:

I got the headless server running indefinitely on my server. Anyone who wants to connect can(modless). The address is ikanreed.net:34197.

If it blows up, let me know.

Quick update: It seems stable. If no one is on, it's automatically paused. I intend to leave it running forever and let it become a giant clusterfuck of a factory, until the join time is too long for anyone to manage, or my bandwidth usage is excessive.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

concise posted:

Server is down :(

Back up. Lost it at 5 am, apparently.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I upgraded my dedicated server(ikanreed.net) to run 0.12.1.

They still haven't fixed the problems with clients sometimes needing to forward ports, but I hope they will soon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

Is cross‐platform play possible at this point?

I can join my linux dedicated server with my windows machine, so probably.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Nuebot posted:

This game looks kind of like what I liked to do in Starcraft. I was never any good at the actual tactical fighting bit, I just liked making a neat base. Shame it's not on steam.

They're specifically working on it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Foehammer posted:

ikanreed, can you update your server to 0.12.2?

I didn't know anyone was still using it. Sure. I'll do that tonight.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I've tried to connect to ikanreed.net:34197 but it says "invalid IP"

I didn't actually upgrade it because my life has been poo poo and I'm moving today and I've been preparing for that.

Sorry.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Tenebrais posted:

For that matter, does anyone know how biters choose what to attack? They'll merrily run past logistics infrastructure outside the factory (pylons, tracks, belts) while equally happily trashing the same things within it. I figured they would head toward the greatest concentration of pollution and start destroying once something gets in their way or attacks them, but then they'll go for relatively inert radars over more polluting items.

Objects from the military tab(not walls though) are priority targets for biters, but their general target location they'll head towards, if they aren't thus distracted is determined by pollution.

My impression is that it's based on what source causes pollution to reach them, not biggest source.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
So I finally got my life in order enough to update my server. I also updated the status page to show the version.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Platystemon posted:

How did I never realise that holding shift allows a blueprint to be used even if there are conflicts with terrain or existing structures? :psyduck:

That was on the feature list for 0.12.1.

It's new.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Turrets would be good if you could stick any ammo type in them. Shotgun turrets and rocket turrets would particularly be good and would maybe make them good lategame too.

And flame turrets would complement other defenses well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Phssthpok posted:

I've been trying a new high-productivity foundry pattern. I really like how elegant it is, but it's bottlenecked by one belt of output.

Well then: is that the right number of smelters to 100% that setup?