Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

PiCroft posted:

Thanks folks, that's a lot of suggestions. I'll take a look at a bunch once I've finished the game at least once, so I can have a fair idea of the baseline experience.

I think my one complaint right now is that the campaign missions seem to take forever - the mission where you take over a wrecked base and have to repair the train system to deliver stuff from distant mines took me hours and hours, most of it just trying to produce the materials it arbitrarily asked me to load into the car. It doesn't help that the research itself takes forever as well. I know it needs to pace itself, but the missions themselves should probably be much shorter and take the form of tutorials to demonstrate concepts; only be around long enough to teach the player the concept and then take them onto the next lesson.

The fact I was willing to put up with those hours of waiting still says a lot about the game though.

I did the tutorial ones but as soon as I loaded up the second campaign and saw how long it was taking I quit and started my own map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Ribbon worlds are a lot of fun until you run out of Iron and there's no patches this side of the 50+ worm bases.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

neogeo0823 posted:

But how do you set up the combinators to make that happen? Like, how are things set up so that the tank begins filling if the level gets below 1000 units, and stops at 5000 units?

No combinators. The wire knows how much fluid is in the tank because it's touching the tank. If you wire the pump to the same wire it knows how much is in the tank too. Now just click on the pump and say run if light oil > 2000 or whatever number you want.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

neogeo0823 posted:

When you're first starting to centrifuge uranium, is it fine that I'm getting hundreds of U-238 and only like 2 of the 235? I know the chances of getting a piece of 238 are slim, but I'm wondering if it's because I'm trickling in the ore as I'm getting it into just two centrifuges, or if there's some way to game the system.

One piece of 235 will power a reactor for 40 minutes. As long as you around 1 centrifuge per reactor being constantly fed you'll never run out. If you setup a system to store steam and stop inserting fuel when steam reaches a safe threshold you'll have a huge buffer of fuel.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Foxhound posted:

That is literally every one of my factories, except I give up and restart rather than try to rebuild it all. Which is probably why I still haven't launched a rocket :negative:

How do you go back to running on 2 legs instead of like 8 and say yes this is fine, I'm enjoying this.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ceyton posted:

Trapped on island, please send boat mod recommendations

Is that not stone in the bottom right?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Suspicious Dish posted:

i cannot make more oil slicks, those come naturally. how would pumps help me here? i thought my issue is that my pumpjacks are too slow at getting oil into the pipes. i do not understand how fluids work.

Having played the campaign for about 10 minutes the solution is to stop playing the campaign.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Suspicious Dish posted:

i wanted to play the campaign simply because i like the constraints it gives you on space whereas i feel like the belt method just breaks the game wide open and doesn't give me a puzzle sense as so much as a "ok now i do this" sense.

anyway i beat it.

Try doing a free game with non-infinite space. Restricting height or width and having the other direction infinite is a lot of fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I turned biters off. They're just annoying, dealing with them is either so easy it's a waste of time or a huge no-fun slog. Setting up and supplying flamer walls is fun but not fun enough to warrant dealing with the rest.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The problem with it is partially how fine the control is. It would be much easier to handle if it turned in say 15 or 30 degree increments so you could at least always drive the thing straight. As it is now you just kind of drunkenly weave around until you smash into a pipe or a tree.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Someone mod in a console that dumps me into a top down rts view where I control corps of robot exterminators who hunt down xeno scum.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Just finished my vanilla lazy bastard run. Factory was grinding to a resource starved halt at the end but it managed to fire off a rocket and free me. Starting an angel-bob game now for the first time, we'll see how that goes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
My usual goof is it's actually a ghost of an inserter and all my construction robots are tearing down a forest approximately a billion miles away.

I'm stupidly proud of this spaghetti mess. Angel-Bob's so far has been a fantastic journey figuring out how the gently caress to get from point A to B, this is just as electronic circuit boards come online. Next is robots and rebuilding next door into a robo-factory.

uPen fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 28, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The campaign is very bad, just play the real game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Logistics train network is the best mod ever made, holy poo poo.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

necrotic posted:

I might look into that one now. I'm in the process of moving to a rail/bot only setup and it looks interesting. Is it pretty simple to use? I only glanced at the docs so far and it seemed like a lot going on, but it looked like mostly data for the network.

It's very simple. You setup depots where your train idles and then requested and provider stations. You tell the station what it is, what it wants and what it has using a single constant combinator for each stop. Once it's running your train system basically works like a bot network with trains being automatically dispatched to fill requests on demand.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

IronDoge posted:

Yeah I tried the first one and then just went on to freeplay. I've been scrambling up the learning curve slowly but surely. Just figured out a train system to get oil to my base. I think I might just rip everything down and rebuild at this point, I have a jumble of individual factories all trying to mesh together and it's quite the mess.

Never rebuild, it's a horrible waste of time before you can have robots do it. Use your current factory to build new parts that you rail somewhere else to make a new factory.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

crabrock posted:

i decided to start a newer, bigger, better factory a ways away from my new one, but wanted it to be connected to my old one, so i spent like, the last week or so prepping my import/export terminal. I got AAI vehicles going in an auto loop and following the roads, which is pretty fun, and will serve as a kind of more "local" alternative to trains, which will handle the main bulk of transfer between sub factories.

Someone spilled a load of copper on your road.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

sharkbomb posted:

My train stations are set to 'enable' when buffer chests reach a certain ore quantity, allowing my trains to dispatch to them.

Problem: My train stations are very far apart. I'll occasionally have 4+ trains all dispatch to the same station. The first train to arrive depletes the contents of the chest, turning off the station, and now my entire train fleet is on the tracks with the remaining 3 just cruising through the station to return to their hub.

How do I stop this? I see a logic condition of 'Send to Train,' is that what will fix it?

I want my trains to divert to a new station en route when stations turn on/off.

If you have Logistics Train Network you can add a flag to a combinator that limits how many trains can be en-route to a particular station at a given time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Pipes are bad anyways. If it's going more than like 20 tiles just barrel it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Main Paineframe posted:

Belts are way more expensive than pipes, though. Unless you're using trains, bots, or your own inventory to move fluids, it's not really worth it.

Yeah you've gotta be using bots or trains, preferably both.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Casting gets really good when you can start hurling useless poo poo like lead or whatever into your iron furnaces to make free iron.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darth Various posted:

Speaking of what to do once you've won the game, is there a deeper point to ribbon worlds - worlds limited in size on one axis, where you expand mostly solely on one axis? I get that fitting your factory in the given space is harder, and defending gets easier since you get two walls for free. And then there's the fun bug/feature where the edges of the world count as water. Anything else I'm missing?

It's fun working within the size constraints.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

necrotic posted:

Anyone using LTN? I'm curious how people are setting up crude pickup and drop-off to keep up with a larger operation.

I'd like to use barrels, but without having a TON of extra barrels I'm not sure of how to manage this with LTN.

Use barrels.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You can use filter inserters wired into LTN Stations to only load or unload what the station is currently handling so that you don't stick empty barrels on the oil train or oil barrels on the empty barrel train.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I really don't enjoy it. Parts of it are a neat puzzle but after awhile it's just too much.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

FISHMANPET posted:

And artillery range and rate of fire are two new infinite research items.

Oh, hello.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Alkydere posted:

Oh my god, there's a "Generate Map Preview" button now which lets you generate maps without ever leaving the map settings. :fap:

Oh. This is cool and good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

crabrock posted:

is there any mod that's like a tiny version of a train? sometimes i want to move a product across my factory, kinda like a belt, but i don't like all the extras that sit on all that space. i want something that'll ferry it along a path, drop it off, and then go back to pick it up, but can be built in the tiny confines of my spaghetti factory. like a little mine cart or something.

Put a car on a belt.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Look compression is important but can we get to the real disaster in this update? You can no longer disassemble cars you're driving to get out of them.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Jamsque posted:

More important is a change to how splitters treat lanes, which will break black magic splitter sorters if you have any in your factory

https://gfycat.com/ApprehensiveJampackedIsabellineshrike

New behavior on the left, old on the right (gif stolen shamelessly from reddit). I know the throughput is the same but I always hated how the old way unbalanced my lanes so badly.

Huh that's neat.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Moving away from the ideal factory being a pile of chests and beacons with a few assemblers and a million robots would be great but good luck. That said I'm super stoked for these splitter changes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Foehammer posted:

I'm making nukes, get that depleted poo poo outta here

Edit: Note that 20 centrifuges kitted with speed module 3's can make enough U-235 for just over 1 nuke per minute

We need nuclear artillery shells.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i'm guessing you mean tank-mounted atomic bombs, because there are definitely DU shells

I want to shoot atomic bombs out of the artillery cannon.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The thing that really made oil click for me was making a liquid bus rather than trying making a rats nest of tubes. Alternatively a few thousand bots and a few thousand barrels works wonders as well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

M_Gargantua posted:

While I love power switches, cracking is one of those cases where using a pump as a circuit controlled valve is far simpler and elegant.

Yup, just have a pump that turns on when there's >10,000 whatever in the system and never think about it again.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Foehammer posted:

I wish there was a way to request bots to deactivate themselves and hop into my inventory from the network. I know I could set up separate storage of them for personal requests, but it's only after extreme combat ops that I need to replace 5 or 6 bots.

Does requesting them not work? They should just get delivered like everything else.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Even if they hadn't you could set your trash to not allow more than 50 bots.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That must be on the testing build; I'm on the current build and just made one, and it's three separate sections that can be joined or not.

The current build is usually months behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Willfrey posted:

Returning player, i never used trains at all in the past. Is it adventageous to use them rather than running out longass conveyors?

Yes, a pair of tracks can carry so much compared to the amount of belts you could make with the same resources.