Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
This game is amazing, and scratches my Transport Tycoon itch nicely.

I only recently heard of this game though, and have not been following its development. What are the future plans of this game? How finished, roughly, is it? Once you have automated science pack 3 creation going there doesn't seem to be a lot to do, except grind out alien cores and eventually research rocket defense.
I realize it is in a "early access" type of state, and version 0.1, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is only 10% done.

Id love to see:
-Solar panels with more W generation per square
-Bigger accumulators
-An energy generation alternative to Steam and solar panels (where is the coal plant? The nuclear plant?)
-More resources (for example uranium, to fuel nuclear power plants and to be used in more advanced weapons/ammo)
-Something between the 10W and 750W personal generators
-A resource cost tweak so that various items have more "realistic" resource costs compared to their size (it seems a bit odd that a personal solar panel costs 5 solar panels)
-Rocket turrets
-Boss-type Biters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Fans posted:

So it's probably a total mess but I feel proud of this anyway!

Pretty clean!

That 4-length L-shaped belt in the middle of the picture could be removed though, just have the inserter grab the gears directly from the assembler and input into the assembler to the right (Unless the gears are being used elsewhere as well?)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Nick Esasky posted:

so, couple of really dumb questions here:

1)is there any charts somewhere demonstrating, say, how many stone furnaces a single coal/iron/copper mine can support at once?

1 mine = 2 furnaces

quote:

2) Any particular way to get an inserter to alternate which items it pulls out of a single chest so i can have my red science line consistently running properly?

Hard to answer this without seeing a screenshot on how you have set up your supply chain. In general you could use smart inserters, but you would need 2 of them.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Been a while since i played this, gonna play a new game and check out some of the new features and also test my luck with some mods.

What is the best/most extensive mod nowadays? Is it still DyTech? I saw it get some criticism for being needlessly complicated

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Wynand posted:

Happy new years sperg-lords, now behold, for I am become your King:

This is the Magnasanti of Factorio :psyduck:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

This video almost made me want to buy the game a second time. Glorious.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Havent played this game since 0.10 and it looked like 0.12 changed enough things to keep the game fresh.

I decided to go for the central bus type of design, which is pretty fun and easy on the brain but creates this gigantic sprawling base. (this is good)
One of the bases i made in my previous game could create every item in the game in like a 50x50 tile radius but it only had 1 assembler for each item and was not extendable. This time i have this ridiculous sprawling monstrosity that is very easy to expand.

Still not sure how i feel about logistics robots, especially the personal roboport, logistics robots make everything too easy in my opinion. They are very convenient for clearing trees but enables such lazyness in base design if you use them in stead of conveyor belts.

I had hoped 0.12 had done a few things to the low quality of life features.
I had forgotten how annoying it is to have to remove all those trees. In the game i started i was right in the middle of a huge rear end forest. I suppose i could have restarted until i started in a desert or something, but id rather have a better system for dealing with trees than that. Maybe a tree removing robot you can build early on in the game?
The electricity distribution is also fairly annoying. The basic pole has abysmal coverage and reach so you need these things everywhere. What really gets my blood pressure up though is that the best pole does nothing to rectify the situation, you still need 1 on each side of an assembler to give both inserters power.
The night/day cycle does nothing for me either. Every time it gets dark i find myself just waiting it out and reading stuff on the internet while waiting for it to turn to daytime again. Having it get darkER is fine and adds to immersion, but pitch black does nothing for me. I am not Arumba and cover my entire base with lights, thats just a tedious job that detracts from further expanding my base.

Are there any mods to fix any of these issues? I am not looking to REMOVE ALL TREES or to have DAYTIME ALL THE TIME, or electric poles with 1000 tile coverage but something moderate to increase the quality of life when playing the game.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Foehammer posted:

Use poison capsules for deforestation until you research construction bots, then make them 'deconstruct' the forest.

Medium poles give better area coverage than the large ones, and substations are even better yet. The only advantage to large poles is how far apart you can place them.

Yeah i know of/use both those, but they both require blue science and by the time you get to that stage base building is practically done (at least for me)

Medium poles give more coverage but its not enough for an assembler with inserters on both sides, which means you need the same amount of medium poles as you do small ones. If the area was increased to 8 instead of 7 (i suppose it would have to be 9) then they would effectively halve the amount of poles needed

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I made myself a blueprint with 3 laser turrets, 1 large electricity pole and a wall around it and place this in a line towards biter bases. Just remember to manually place 1 large power pole at the edge of your base first so you get the wire reach.
The personal roboport is a marvellous invention.

I am more or less done with the game though, i think (90% progress in the rocket silo) and i have never encountered large worms or the mammoth biters and my game is around 30 hours old. What do you need to do to get the bigger guys to spawn?
I have plenty of pollution in my base from for example the 100 steam engines.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

That spider is outright terrifying and gives me chills down my spine, the bad kind of chills.

If we "need" to make this, from an optimal gameplay perspective, then thats the end of Factorio for my part :-/

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

RattiRatto posted:

Are there any mods which are a must from the beginning
or are mods more a thing to pick up later when i'm done with them game?

Up to you! I would at least play 1 game without any mods so that you can mod areas you don't like instead of modding everything.

I have played 3 "complete" factorio games (Playing until most/everything is researched, i have thousands of bots, and the biters pose no threat) and never used a mod.

On the other hand my Skyrim game is modded to hell and back with hundreds of quality of life mods and such, and i never played it unmodded.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Ratzap posted:

I'm inordinately happy with the design I came up with for sorting and processing gems in Bob's mod set.

Insert freshly mined gems at the bottom, set the smart inserter numbers to however many you want in the logistic network and off it goes. Not shown are the trivial bits making the grinding wheels etc available. I always set filters when I can so you can see better with Alt on which inserter does what.

There are EIGHTEEN different types of gems in BOBs? A resurce category that doesn't even exist in the base game. Holy poo poo i understand why people recommend to stay away from that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Its nice to see how much this thread has exploded in activity since the game arrived to Steam. Are other Factorio communities equally increased? Have the Devs said anything about sales numbers now compared to pre-steam?

Mithaldu posted:

Two hours work on a max biter world with high terrain fragmentation, and the result is a beautiful kind of working chaos: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190786/chaos.png

This sounds like an interesting challenge scenario

Put biters on passive and max out all their parameters, and see how big a base you can realistically build.
Part of the challenge is also that sooner or later you need to attack them.