Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Is there any way to change size of mineral deposits after start? I have about 50 hours into a factory now and just starting to get good amounts of alien artifacts, but all my mineral deposits are set to normal/regular from when I first started. What's my best option (please don't say restart :( ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

President Ark posted:

I won't say anything, then. :v:

sorry :(

drat, oh well, I guess at least now that I understand it all well enough maybe I can plan something out better this time.

current setup

Power in top left, steel and iron plates to the top right, was expanding to the lower right to put more stuff in, maybe ore processing? Is it more effective to process at the dig site and then transport the plates or the transport the ore to a central smelter? I feel like the central smelter might be more extensible.

edit: as an aside, running transport belts everywhere in the beginning reminds me a lot of running traces for PCBs.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 9, 2015

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

KillHour posted:

There are mods that add endless upgrades such as weapon damage with ever-increasing research costs.

At some point, I'd like to see a really deep military tech tree with the ability to do PvP. I always thought something like the WZ2100 tech tree would be suitably deep.

WZ2100 was great, I should play it again sometime. Yes though there needs to be a better military system such as some way of commanding military drones without you being there. Or being able to launch satellites and nukes. I mean yeah we have these large factories and automated production systems with some drone uses but a lot of the military side of things isn't even close to what we do know from a commanders point of view.

I don't feel the player should need to be anywhere near the combat zone, that's a robots job, or a nukes.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Yeah, but you'll have to get in there to disable their hand.

Actually just watched that movie last night. Still hilarious.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

have they considered using construction robots

Meta programming is a bitch.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I prefer logistics systems for handling resource movement, bus feels limiting in how adaptable it can be. I set up a warehouse basically (bunch of storage chests around a roboport) where all resources move to and distributed to various factories using the provider and requester chests.

Example: Roboport surrounded by storage chests, and then a few train depots to handle input and output into the warehouse. Trains then distribute resources to where they are needed or bring in resources to the warehouse.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I prefer to abuse logistics bots and systems

All the little robots flying around doing their things :3:
I think I have about 1000 logistics bots.

Close up of logistics warehouse showing number of items stored

This is my newest base with the steam release.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 2, 2016

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aliens can seem difficult at first. Set up about 4-5 turrets at key points along your walls (build walls, double walled preferably) and keep them stocked with ammo and you should be good for about 15-20 hours into a game, maybe even longer. Filling a turret with 100 ammo typically lasts a few hours for me since they all fire.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Dammit, this is the future we're trying to PREVENT in America!
(Nice job)

You should see the power system.

Full old base

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I just realized I'd really like to see mountains in this game as another way of segmenting terrain into choke points, maybe even for ore extraction points.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Has anyone done a planets mod yet? Different climates and stuff? Would be cool to try a tropical planet or arctic hellhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

An easy difference would be to have different ambient water temperatures, so arctic planet would take more boilers for the same engines and tropical would take fewer. Not very exciting, though. I guess you could apply it to furnaces, too. Take more energy to smelt.

Edit: maybe on tropical everything rusts and corrodes with a random chance for each part to become damaged or destroyed, and then there would be oiled versions of things that prevent rust/corrosion.

I was more just thinking a change of color to a warmer or cooler palette would be interesting.