Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

It's a giant pain in the rear end compared to dropping 30 Destroyer drones on them and going all Futurama on them. For the two games I blew it (no artifacts until forced to), I did indeed walk turrets out there, and if you check my post history I was kindofa whiny :spergin: about it :ohdear:

I hosed up my first game, and I'm still not great, but I just succesfully did the "walk turrets up to spawners" thing, and for anyone trying it the trick is to hold down space the whole time with your SMG

I just hit 100 artifacts and I haven't even looked at advanced circuits yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

seravid posted:

Hello. This looks great, but I have a few questions I'd like answered before jumping in. In no particular order:

- How active is the development? FAQ says new build every couple months, is that accurate? That seems awfully long, but I'm not all that used to alphas.
- Does it look like the company will go down in flames before the game's finished? Do they listen too much to the community? (think Endless Space)
- At first glance combat seems quite out of place. How is it, really? I suppose it could be used to slow down the player's expansion if attacks are frequent enough, but in that case wouldn't going on the offensive and eradicating the enemy be the optimal choice, every time? Can you even build and control units or would you have to do it solo, Rambo-style? I just don't see how that meshes with the rest of the game.

Thanks for your time.

turbo edit: why the hell isn't this on Steam? Yeah, I've read the OP and the game's FAQ; question still stands :colbert:

Development is very active, there's been a few builds over the last few days. The game is already fantastic, so it honestly doesn't matter if the Dev burns out later. Also congratulations, you figured out the optional strat for dealing with biters. They exist to encroach on your junk and it's best to prune them away. Which makes them harder to deal with. Towers are the primary way to deal with them before you hit the end game.

And it's going to be on greenlight when it's closer to release.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ouroborus posted:

I learned something last night too. Construction robots can be ordered to uproot trees. Just take a deconstruction blueprint and drag it over a fuckton of trees. You need a requester chest requesting thousands of wood or the bots will just sit there until they run out of power and / or get eaten.

Storage chests will be your friend. whenever a bot is holding something without a destination, they put it into one of those,

I must have 100 thousand wood at this point. I wish I could do something with it, but oh well :shrug:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

DaveKap posted:

Oh my god. I just realized. With the newer patches adding in localized sound effects for buildings, you actually could build this building including the Powerhouse music.

poo poo, I might take up Factorio modding tomorrow. Quick, someone tell me what useful (something number-changey) thing the toothpick should do.

There should be another machine that takes a few thousand toothpicks and synthesises a new log, of course.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Radar was mentioned earlier in the thread, and I wanted to make sure everyone knows that on top of the active detection of far off map chunks, any radar dishes will keep a radius of the map around them updated constantly. Without either your presence or a radar scan (shows up on the map as the bright squares) you don't get to see new biter nests. If a nest or some worms pops up out near the far side of your base you won't see anything but all of the attack notifications.

Early game that doesn't matter, since your base is small enough that your natural radar will cover it, but lategame it can be helpful for tracking down the source of trouble-spots.

Unrelated, but is there a way to find out how many construction bots I've got? I'd guess I'm in the 400-500 range at this point. Is my only option "ask them to deconstuct a chest of junk and hold right click next to the chest"?

edit:

Michaellaneous posted:

Mouseover any network chest iirc.

Isn't that just for logistic bots though?

egg tats fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 23, 2014

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Fans posted:

Is there anyway to automate tree cutting? I'd love to have a way to unleash hordes of buzzsaw wielding tree cutters on them but I can't find a way to do it if there is.

It does! The complexity of your factories just increase as you go on and are given more tools to increase efficiency, which you need to use because everything you're making to increase your efficiency requires more work and automation than the last lot of improvements. Then you start to need resources from further away from your base and ways to get them home at speed, all while angry aliens try to eat your stuff because your new efficient set ups are polluting the air.

It's all nicely intertwined in encouraging you to slowly expand, then deal with the problems of your expansion.

Construction bots can and will deconstruct an entire forest in a matter of seconds.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Fans posted:

My current game was going fine until all of a sudden the Inserters forgot how to pick things up and just wobble about uselessly occasionally manage to grab something. It's a bit broke.

Do you have yellow or red inserters trying to pick things up off express belts? because the poor babby inserters can't keep up with express belts, get some fast inserters in there.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kin posted:

Ah, i assumed since i can stuff 50 chunks in there that the inserters would fill it up to the same level.

they only put 3 or 4 in, so that the first thing on the line doesn't take everything that comes down.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Any idea what's going on here? Not getting any attack warnings, and nothing is traveling over any uncovered space.

You've got bots moving a ton of poo poo from point A to B. Build 3000 more to prevent this in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

Derp, should have clarified, I mean the counting down of the total.

And yes, I've been in constant need of more bots the whole time and 3000 is a lowball number of additionals.

Ahh, didn't even notice that. You're not using one of the old versions, where running out of power was fatal to robots, right? Maybe you've got some pathing over a nest?