Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Welp, somehow the Factorio crew made Artillery even sexier. They got a sound guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LLSix posted:

Hard Crafting looks interesting.

I tried it and it really felt that "Hard Crafting" was more of "Hard Refining" other than some crafting processes generating scrap metal. Which isn't a bad thing. Just a thing.

Also a thing that's made so much better by the Splitters now being programmable.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Or turn on marathon mode and watch as everyone panics because a) everything's expensive (get to making those rail outposts, fuckers) and b) the ratios are now off.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

jokes posted:

Biter nests absorb pollution? Interesting. Very interesting.

Basically they use it to point-buy bugs. The more pollution they suck up, the more biters and spitters you get.

Meanwhile the actual *evolution* is based off of total pollution created.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

FnF posted:

And the number of spawners you've destroyed, AND the total game duration (you can change these in the Game Settings, but you can't turn off the evolution-via-spawner-deaths portion?)

Well yes, but those are self explanatory. The Pollution stat can be confusing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Solumin posted:

I've gotten better about using Assembler 2s, mostly because I automate them instead of building 1s.

As soon as I get automation for Assembler 1's up I set up Assembler 2's because they're literally the first assembler with more of the same materials and I might as well.

I feel that the speed someone moves to level 2 is entirely dependent on how hard someone goes in on early automation vs hand crafting.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

From what I'm seeing in FNEI, there's the Coal Cracking Bergius Process using a catalyst and H2 to produce naphtha (heavy oil equivalent), Natural Gas Liquids and Base Mineral Oil (predecessor for Lubricant) and Coal Liquefaction that uses steam and naphtha to melt coal down into the base Factorio petroleum products. I may have been imprecise in my language; I'm finding this modded game much more complex in determining good ratios for handling the stuff that comes out of crude oil and raw gas patches. The simple solution is to flarestack the excess, I guess, but I want to use everything so there's a continuous flow from the pumpjacks to the assembly machines.

Yeah, my experience with AngelBob's the solutions are:

1) flarestack/clarify anything you don't immedieately want, getting maybe 10-30% of what you put in as output (depending on what you're looking for/how many things you make at each chemical plant)
2) Create a complex, overly elaborate mess to get closer to 60-70% efficiency and just start sobbing as you try to balance it.

You'll never get full efficiency simply because there's some stuff that's so useless (you will have all the sulfur you need and then some from ore washing already) or highly specialized and simply expensive to convert to something more useful.

Bonus Option 3: try to do AngelBob petrochem without FNEI, never stop crying in pain and horror.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 20, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

euphronius posted:

What do I do will all this light oil I’m not using.

Vanilla.

Either crack it into petroleum gas if you have advanced oil processing, or turn it into solid fuel if you don't. Or turn it into solid fuel if you do.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nah, you can totally forget vanilla stuff, at least the later stuff, if you spend too much time in Angelbob's feeling your brain melt.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I've decided I like the medium setting on Quick Start, explicitly cheating it might be but having 50 construction bots and a powered personal roboport at the start feels really nice :v:

It's really not necessary if you're playing vanilla/by yourself.

However when playing friends or a more complex mod setup it is the way to go.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nevets posted:

Solar power is a pipe dream fed to you by biter huggers. The real green power is the kind that glows in the dark.

Solar Powers are a stopgap so you can stop burning as much coal and save it for more important things like plastic or liquefaction.

Seriously though, at the point you get solar panels even a small field will drastically cut your boiler's workload for about 2/3 of the day.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I was meaning to ask for awhile, but I guess this answers my question of how to power further out mining operations? Just plop down a solar array and some accumulators?

So far I've just been running power lines to stuff since it's close enough not to be too much of a hassle, and if I'm laying the track I can just lay the wires on the return trip. (It just now dawns on me I should probably just have a locomotive ready to ride home.)

If you have a train network: have a dedicated steam delivery train. Yes, steam never cools and is basically stored power.

1 tank of "low temperature" steam from boilers (165 C) is 750 MJ, so nearly 100 pieces of coal.
1 tank of "high temperature" steam from nuclear heat exchangers (500C) is 2.425 GJ.

Just have a steam delivery train that make deliveries from your power plant's off-flow.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

misguided rage posted:

Why would you send a whole train for the equivalent of a stack and a half of coal? I guess if you had no water anywhere near the other end, but otherwise that seems like a much worse idea than just sending a train full of coal and boiling on site...

Because TRAIN! Do you really need more reason?

Also migrating biters have an annoying habit of eating power lines while they ignore rail tracks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

crazysim posted:

I've never seen them destroy tracks. They don't block pathing nor do they "pollute". Are you sure? I thought the only way to destroy tracks would be to grenade them or use some sort of player explosive. Do worms target tracks?

I guess worms would in theory if a fresh base spawned near your rails, but I have never, ever seen Biters even acknowledge that tracks even exist. I've seen them eat belts, but not tracks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

They aimed for January but it obviously didn't pan out. Either the last FFF or the one before they said likely early/mid February.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Is solid fuel'ing smelters particularly worth it over just upgrading to electric furnaces and making up the difference on power? (Since you could also just cram that fuel into boilers.) Just a preference for maintaining an existing smelter setup without dealing with the bulkier electric?

I always just like how electric furnaces liberate me from figuring out how the heck I'm going to layout smelters and worrying about ferrying fuel, but I need to get better at planing ahead / blueprinting a patternable layout.

Honestly either works. Just using Steel furnaces is more fuel/pollution efficient unless you're running a heavy solar or nuclear setup but you'll always want to get more power anyways. And if you have nuclear, then power is basically free.

Though as you said, once you get Electric furnaces you lose the need to deal with fuel lines to your smelting setups. Also you gain the ability to use speed modules in your furnaces (though fun fact: steel furnaces can't equip modules but ARE affected by beacons).

It's really up to you. As is what you use as fuel. Solid fuel, rocket fuel, coal...telephone poles.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

misguided rage posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? That's absurdly more productive than the base game oil recipe.

It seems he's the type to want everything to have perfect ratios. So he's likely scribbling furiously on a notepad to find how many chemical plants he needs to get the ratio of heavy:light:petrol he wants.

Edit to repost the big event announcement on a new page:

Roflex posted:

So this is starting in 2 hours. Starts with Automation, Logistics, Turrets, and Military unlocked so we don't have to handcraft 10k red packs to get to assemblers. First few hours are going to be interesting in rushing to green science (but still needing 80k red packs to do so) and dealing with possibly hundreds of people online.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh god this super factorio thing is insane. All I've built are an SMG and ammo as everyone else goes ham on building everything else.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I will say that adopting them too early can choke a base, but yeah. 111.5 iron/tile is totally reasonable once you get going! If it's not, well that means you just don't have enough iron.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

i say swears online posted:

ugh this is gonna be stupid

i just started bob's mods for the first time and everything takes wood. am i missing a forest or greenhouse unit or something? i'm not gonna chop down all these trees

Later on you can turn naptha/heavy oil (depending on if you have Angel's Petrochem on or not respectively) into artificial wood planks. But until you get there without greenhouses is one of those "Ugggh" moments. I did it but only because I had a quickstart with a suit full of construction bots.

AngelBob's is entirely a test to see how many "Ugggh" moments you can survive through.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sillybones posted:

Thing I learned: Red belts are too fast for burner inserters. They try and grab the fuel to put in boilers and fail, wasting their own energy. Let this happen long enough and it will starve them till they stop and then terrible things.

Yup. It's fine when the belts are saturated but the moment they stop being saturated you get those issues.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Finally properly started playing a new 0.17.x game and I know it was all in the FFF block posts but oh gently caress the new train stuff is so delicious. Seeing the path on the tracks, super easy to understand and set schedules...the ability to just CTRL+Click on a spot to summon a train to you and use it as a personal tram.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Xinlum posted:

I started playing this week. It seems Im still on .16 with the recipes I have. When .17 is officially released is it gonna totally gently caress up my factory in progress? Im very close to getting red circuits automated which is all I need for science pack 3

Oh it's gonna hella screw up your production. To start with Level 2 assemblers require steel now...but there's no ingredient list limit on assembler size so the level upgrades really more of a speedupgrade.

Military science requires walls instead of turrets. Chemical (Blue) requires solid fuel instead of engine units. Production (Purple) requires rail track. Hi-Tech (Yellow) requires Low Density Structures.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dancer posted:

Speaking of ways to make the game harder: Is there something out there that makes it... a *bit* more complex? Like, not a massive step up to Bob's, something in the middle between base and Bob's. I've challenged myself with 5x research costs and smaller patches, maybe someday I'll challenge myself with worse biters, but that's not what I'm looking for.

There's a recipe randomizer out there that alters the amount of resources each recipe requires. So instead of a green chip taking 3 copper wire and 1 iron, it takes 2 of each or something like that. Or a gear taking 1 plate but 10 seconds to make. All sorts of weird effects that make you redo your ratios.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Slayerjerman posted:

Does anyone know of (or can make) a mod that lets Bob's electrolysis buildings output a single gas type (like half as much green instead of white+green) or ideally, make better use of the white gas early on? I constantly have too much of it and turning it into solid fuel is a chore due to the coal needed. I wish I could just convert the white gas to red or green instead of just dumping it... especially now that Bob's metals updated and now need red gas to make steel (am i just crazy or do others have this now too??)... so now I have to output tons of red+white and the white is constantly backing everything up.

Do you not have flare stacks? They're gas voids, just toss everything you don't want into one of those or a clarifier for liquids.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dietrich posted:

There are water purifiers to get rid of just about any extra liquid and flare stacks to get rid of just about any extra gas. Part of the challenge with Bobs is trying to use all your byproducts because everything is eventually useful somewhere, but plop one of those things down until you figure that part out.

Me doing Angelbob's petrochem:

Three 75K unit tanker cars of Natural Gas goes in. Half of a boxcar of plastic goes out because so many of the byproducts are tossed into the "I have no loving clue what to do with this" burnoff piles and burnt off.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I used FNEI (inspired by the NEI/JEI mods from Minecraft) which helped a lot. But Angelbob Petrochem is still an incestuous clusterfuck with it, especially early on where most of the recipes you really want are behind higher tier science packs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Inflicting Seablock upon myself and I've hit an impasse. Where do I get my initial sulfur for sulfuric acid?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

One of the recipes in the washing plant iirc.

I just realized I basically need to get to hydro-refining to get my starter sulfuric wastewater which is...going to take a while, but I now have a goal!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

Uh, no? See this tech:

And these processes:

They're all basic red science.

Oh nifty. Thank you, I had completely missed that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Since we're all posting here's mine after I wanna say 5ish hours

How did you get the material to get that far that fast in 5-ish hours? Not counting idle time I'm at about that stage in about 8 hours (after restarting because of brain worms/in ability to look at the ugly mess I'd made).

I was at about that stage just before work and I left my base to idle, expecting a giant pile of iron, copper, tin and rock/landfill. Turns out I only got the rock and landfill as I'd hosed up and forgot to put an overflow clarifier on the Sulfuric Acid loop. drat setup must have backed up about an hour after I left for my 10 hour shift...if it even lasted that long.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah here's my island after 8-ish actual hours of play (and lots of hours of idling) just chilling out. My next goal is getting trees set up for power and easy/non algae wood for basic circuits.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay I'm getting into the Seablock, just having an endless pool of resources to pull from wherever I want is nice. No hunting down deposits, just grab some seawater and suck stuff out of it. No figuring out how to get resources A B and C to locations 4, 8 and 31. Just pull what I want. It will be nice and clean.

Proceeds to build the spaghetti everywhere, making half-assed setup after half-assed setup as space expands.

Okay, it will be neat...eventually. Just not now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

It's the second build that will be neat, since I know now to tile and I've got an input/output per second idea in mind.

Logistical problems occur just after the nicely tiled set of buildings solved by half-assing pipes and belts twining around each other

Okay, the third build...

I've got a fuckton of landfill now and I've more or less solved my power issues for a good while because I finally figured out gardening and I ended up with a swamp and desert plant that just vomit out vegetable oil. I've also got basically space cotton that produces cellulose by the ton. So now I'm on the next rebuild of my factory.

Seriously, for as much oil as I get, the "beans" these plants spit up better be a few hundred kilograms each.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

...the FOURTH build replacing my swath of algae farms making charcoal pellets for a set of ~20 steam boiler mk2s and oh gently caress I'm back to spaghetti step one. :v:

(This is fine, I redid my slag -> plates line to take advantage of mineral catalyst and they'll merrily churn out the four tier 1 plates + brick + tinned copper coils and solder until full while I'm puzzling that out)

Get yourself to gardening! Seriously! It took me a bit to figure it out but if you get your hands on plants that produce seeds, nuts or fruit you can solve your fuel problem super easy. They can all be pressed into raw vegetable oil. Filter that for vegetable oil and nutrient pulp, and refine those into fuel oil, base mineral oil and glycerol gas. The fuel oil will fill oil-fired boilers which are basically Mk 2 solid fuel boilers.

The top I have 12x zombieecalyptus farm plots (swamp plants: use heavy mud water + mud) and 6x Binafran farm plots (desert plant: use salt water + sand) to vomit out beans that are pressed into more fuel oil than my base can use right now. I straight up ripped up my old charcoal fueled boiler setup and converted them to oil burning and Mk 2 steam engines.

The bottom is 8x Tianaton farm plots (temperate: dirt and water) that are basically space-cotton and produce piles upon piles of cellulose. For reference a plot takes a minute to produce 50 pieces of tianaton, and 20 pieces is 22 cellulose.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 8, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Technically you can just turn blue algae into "Multi-phase oil" forever, I'm pretty sure you can get everything out of that or other petrochem synthesis.

I just find Angel's Petrochem/semi-realistic organic chemistry a nightmare myself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So...starting a THIRD seablock game because I hosed up and overrode my save. Basically hopped on a modded server with friends, hopped off, didn't reset my version/files and my map ended up deleted. And then by reflex I saved before quitting out. :suicide:.

On the plus side...I found out that if you fiddle with the settings in Seablock you can end up with an island to work with. So with actual real estate to work with it's now less "stranded at sea" and more "tropical island vacation" as I cut my way through the jungle.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Saw someone mention how they ended up with a bunch of plants in Seablock and didn't know what to do with them (Probably KIllHour in one of his frustrated rants but I can't find it again) so I think I'll make a quick post breaking down Angel's plants.

Basically the plants produce fuel oil, fermentation base (does a few interesting things if you're really into chemistry), nutrient paste, cellulose and crystal slurry. Oh and...food for animals I guess?

Fuel Oil
Probably the easiest and most important resource plants will produce. Just about all of them have some way to be converted to fuel but what you really want is any plant that produce Nuts, Pips, Fruits or Beans. Any of these will be pressed down into Raw Vegetable Oil. Filter that in a Filtration unit like you would slag or mineral slurry and you get a mixture of Vegetable Oil and Nutrient Pulp. An oil refinery will turn Vegetable Oil into Fuel Oil that can be used as is in oil burning furnaces and generators (1 unit = 1 MJ of power) and a bit of Raw Mineral Oil which has other uses (or can just be burned off).

Filtering of Raw Vegetable oil:
-Charcoal: 100 Raw Veggetable + 100 Purified water = 160 Vegetable Oil + 40 Nutrient Pulp
-Ceramic: 100 Raw Vegetable Oil + 100 Purified Water = 180 Vegetable Oil + 20 Nutrient Pulp

Vegetable Oil Refining:
-100 Vegetable Oil = 70 Fuel Oil + 30 Raw Mineral Oil.

The next, not quite as efficient way to produce fuel is via Nutrient Pulp. It's already created as a side effect of filtering Vegetable Oil but anything that produces Leaves or, even better, Corn can be converted to Nutrient Pulp. Which can be further refined into fuel in a Gas Refinery.

-100 Nutrient Pulp = 40 Fuel Oil + 40 Acetone + 20 Synthesis Gas
-100 Nutrient Pulp = 60 Fuel Oil + 40 Glycerol (used mainly in crafting explosives so probably shove it all into a flare stack).

Cellulose
Obviously by now you've realized that Cellulose is a major and important resource in Seablock. The easiest way to produce it is via Green Algae. The next way is via Wood/Arboretums. Many farm crops produce some cellulose as a byproduct but one specific crop (Tianaton) is dedicated to producing cellulose and is perhaps the single best cellulose producer in the game.

-5 Tianaton Seed + 5 Soil + 50 Water = 40-60 (Average 50) Tianaton. Craft time: 120 seconds in base farm, 60 seconds in Temperate Upgrade farm.
20 Tianaton: 22 cellulose.

So a generic farm plot will produce on average 55 cellulose every 2 minutes, or 27.5/minute.

Fermentation Base
Corn or Fruit can be rendered down into Fermentation Base. Fermentation Base produces Acetic Acid or Ethanol Gas if you need either of those. Both are the seeds for chemicals required to make Plastic which can be nifty.

Crystal Slurry
Four of the more advanced crops (Nilaubergine, Nexaflax, Arumbaphila, Kendallion) produce a handful of Crystal Dust as a side effect. Convert that to Crystal Slurry and you can filter it into more Mineral Slurry to turn into raw materials.

Food?
If you really, really want to you can use Nutrient Pulp to feed animals. Most of them will just provide Meat and Sulfuric Wastewater, and Meat is used feed Biters for...stuff? I haven't looked down that line of production much and it mainly looks like they can be converted into crystals for crystal slurry fun. Alternatively, Nutrient pulp can feed Puffers which provide a variety of interesting chemicals.

Types of plants
Plants break down into 3 types. Desert, Temperate and Swamp.

-Desert Plants: Need Saline Water and Sand as dirt.
-Temperate Plants: normal Water and Soil (mud + Compost) as dirt
-Swamp Plants: Heavy Mud Water and Mud.

Desert Plants are the easiest to get ahold of (spawn in the greatest numbers closets to the player) while Swamp Plants are probably the easiest to supply. Some of the more advanced/productive plants also require Fertilizer which is Compost + Urea gas. The easiest source for the Ammonia is by producing Blue Algae.

How do I get Plants?
On the small islands nearby your starting point you'll see Desert, Temperate and Swamp Gardens. Shove these into a Seed Extractor and the fun can begin. The Seed Extractor can either produce Exploration Tokens required for Farm Beaker or upgrading farm plots, or it can produce seeds. The first few Gardens you get are probably best used for pure Token gain to get you the beakers to get Basic and Advanced farming of the type you want. So if you have a handful of Desert Gardens, you turn the first 3 into 32 tokens each. Then turn those tokens into Garden beakers to research basic and advanced Desert Gardening.

Any remaining Desert Gardens can be used to (slowly) grow more Desert Gardens (a process that gives you more tokens), that you can then tear apart for seeds (which produces more tokens) until you have a full set. Use the extra tokens to produce the Garden Beakers needed for the rest of the research, and then to upgrade your generic farms to specialized farms.

TREES!
There are also Desert, Temperate and Swamp versions of the trees you can find. These can be either grown/harvested for generic wood (an excellent source of Cellulose) OR they can be used as shortcuts to produce Resin, Plastic and Rubber with a handful of extra wood as a useful byproduct. Why do your own complex and confusing organic chemistry when nature provides these useful, nifty self-propagating nanomachine colonies known as "plants"?

Temperate Trees generate Bio-Resin
Swamp Trees generate Bio-Plastic
Desert Trees generate Bio-Rubber.

Bio-Plastic and Bio-Rubber both convert into Liquid Resin and Rubber with the addition of Acetone gas. Bio-Resin requires Ethanol Gas. Both of these can be provided by cracking Nutrient Pulp in a gas refinery.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay a bit more on Archangel's Bioprocessing plants... Desert, Temperate and Swamps are definitely tier 1, 2 and 3 in terms of productivity.

16 Desert Upgrade farms with Binafrin gave me about 1K fuel oil/minute. Good but I was constantly bumping up against my power limitations.

Slap down only 6 Swamp Upgrade farms with Elendilomone plants and I jump up to 2.2K fuel oil until my oil storage started to fill up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Those solar fields are glorious. It's almost like you just waved the mouse about randomly to place them..but then you notice the slight diagonal lines.

It's basically the best tesselation around a single point (i.e. a medium electric pole) provided you don't mind the edges being messy compared to anything else.