Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i upgraded grenade damage so they'd one shot trees

this loving game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

If you're having trouble with biters in the early game and don't mind cheesing things, set your starting area to Very Big. This will push the biters out quite a ways, and give you a ton of leeway to get started before you have to worry about defense.

I'm a subscriber to the "exterminate all nests in my pollution radius, and then some" philosophy too. The expansions are pretty aggressive in this version, though! I'm probably going to wall off a huge portion of the map and drop overlapping turret bunkers fed by ammo trains.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

M_Gargantua posted:

Just wait till you have an extra 100 nukes sitting around

this was from some time ago but i did finally make atomic bombs and, uh, yeah

see biter base, delete biter base

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just use this blueprint from the intertubes for general-purpose electric furnace and beacon smelting. Tiles both lengthwise and width-wise (to share beacons.)

I almost never have enough productivity and speed upgrades to feed the drat things, though. Need to make a module factory...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vivick posted:

Gwyneth, my problem with that design is that one smelter is only covered by four beacons, I really want them to be covered by eight.

Why not just build twice as many furnaces?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

awesmoe posted:

Why does everyone use prod modules in furnaces, and not speed? Assuming infinite ore speed in beacons do you get more plates from prod than from speed?

It's more because it lets you make more plates for less resources. If you aren't smelting fast enough to consume your inputs, just make more furnaces.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

One of those infinitely scaling researches for increasing radar range would be pretty cool.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dr. Stab posted:

Of course, there's ways to unload a train car faster than the inserter to box to inserter to belt method

Oh yeah? Share, please!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Descar posted:

is there a way to clear woods effortless, like a woodcutter droid or something?

and same with nests, can you build tank/droids that can clear nests on their own.

there's too much tedious manually stuff that has to be done, when i should just be able to build stuff to deal with it.

can you increase the range where you can put down stuff with science ex?

Tree felling options as you progress up the tech tree are: grenades -> construction robots + deconstruction planner -> atomic bomb

Nests continue to be tedious until you can reliably produce atomic bombs, then you just delete nests with a single shot.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm having a brain fart on the right name for it, but one of the rocket components devours steel like no tomorrow.

it's low density hooberjobbers

related: i thought i was super clever and made a dedicated low density thinger factory on top of an iron and copper ore deposit on the map with trained-in petroleum, i thought i was hot poo poo until the train arrived to unload the low density whatsits at the rocket silo and i saw that they only stacked to 10 :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i just make wooden chests, pile wood into them, then shoot them with my gun

also researching logistics trash slots and setting wood to trash gives you some extra inventory space that you can use even with no bots

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

xarph posted:

Because I am a masochist like everyone in this thread, I really want an industrial electricity mod that models current loss and overload with separate hot/neutral/ground wires. I want to have to design my grid around huge circuit breakers that kill my character if I turn things on in the wrong order.

I want bringing assemblers online to require Procedures that James May would be fond of.

Yeah, I'm sort of with you here. I think electricity could be fun if it were a little more complicated. Stuff like line loss, max voltage on machines, stuff like that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Onean posted:

I think it'd be okay in a mod, but please for the love of god keep it out of the main game. I tried a Minecraft mod with that and it was never not a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, absolutely -- I wouldn't want it to be part of vanilla by any stretch.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Truga posted:

I already worked around all that by training steam to turbines in my outposts :v:

we're reaching levels of realism that shouldn't be possible in a game

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

lol if you don't do belt hell for everything

logistics bots are a sign of a weak mind :viggo:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

factorio devs when can i feed fish to biters to tame them

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Galvanik posted:

My only problem is never having enough uranium. Is there any way to change the resource settings in an existing save?

Do you mean "not enough U-235?" Maybe it's because I'm playing with RSO, but I found two 1M uranium patches and they pretty much satisfy all my needs. Kovarex enrichment is powerful.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, your uranium ore miners are a great thing to spend productivity modules on.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

lol if you don't send your construction robots fishing

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

in unrelated news, i've only now just discovered braided belts and have enthusiastically applied them to science packs, so i no longer have inserters pulling from other labs and the associated "lol only 33% of your labs are operating at any one time due to millisecond shortages" thing happening

this is more satisfying than it should probably be

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Captain Foo posted:

please post images of these things thank you!

here's the braided belt setup:

this exploits that fact that different colors of underground belt can coexist in the same direction, so i can run up to eight different types of objects along a two-belt space, which works great for labs and their seven goddamn science packs

you don't need substations to make this work, i think medium power poles are plenty sufficient

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FISHMANPET posted:

Is this a good method for unloading trains? (found it on Reddit)

I think I understand the concept but it seems off to me and I can't quite place why. But being able to saturate 4 lanes from a single train stop would also be pretty great.

You can unload from both sides of the cargo car, which will double the speed. You also want to use filter inserters on the unload, so that way you don't accidentally unload the fuel from the locomotives.

I usually do this for my unload stops:

Doing it this way gets stuff on either side of the belt, and using stack inserters will generally keep the belt well-compressed.

Setting the unload stop to depart on "inventory empty" also increases throughput. Similarly, at the load stop, depart with "time elapsed: X seconds OR inventory full."

To increase throughput even further, smelt ore on premises with the miners. Plates stack twice as well as ore.

You can also increase how many cargo cars are on the train to move even more stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

crabrock posted:

i thought fuel didn't affect train speed?

i always throw excess wood into my refueler boxes.

At least in 0.15, the quality of fuel affects train speed. Solid Fuel is optimal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ymgve posted:

Those of you that have completed the game - did you plan out everything in advance in your first "win", or was it just improvising as your stuff got bigger?

like 420% improv

the trick to factorio is that you can always tear poo poo down and rebuild it

there's no need to bog yourself down trying to make a futureproof factory, that is just going to leave you spinning your wheels forever

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BabelFish posted:

And then after a little while longer you realize you've put too much space between things and now it takes you five minutes to walk across the base, so you dial it back to a happy medium.

or do what i do and make trains for shuffling yourself around a large base

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i will admit to using T-junctions and four way junction blueprints from the internet because i don't really understand train signals very well

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Baloogan posted:

yall know that you can treat labs like boilers, rite? you don't need complicated conveyor belts

well, you don't chain boilers any more now that they output steam perpendicular to their fluid input :v:

but yeah, you can do lab -> inserter -> lab, but that ends castrating your research output as labs are constantly interrupted to shuffle science packs around

once you have automated production of underground belts (and construction bots in a personal roboport preferably) doing a fancy braided belt lets you not have to deal with all of the interruptions

if you could set how much of the inputs a single lab (or assembler) could buffer at once, then i'd like the hand-over-hand lab setup a lot more, since you could fill the initial with stack inserters, then use fast inserters choked to one item per operation for distribution down the lanes

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Krysmphoenix posted:

The challenge is your electricity bill for all the bots

electricity is a challenge after you get nuclear reactors operational?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I got gifted this game the other day, and I'm about to jump into it for the first time. I was told to play it on the latest beta and to play unmodded first. What are some good beginner tips and tricks I should know? Is there a preferred wiki or something I'll need to be browsing through or anything?

official wiki: https://wiki.factorio.com/Main_Page

random tips:

* press alt to have the game draw an overlay of what a thing is producing or holding, basically never turn this off

* ctrl click to insert a stack of whatever you're holding into a machine or chest, ctrl right click for half a stack, or if you're holding nothing, pull all/half from a machine or chest. hold down the mouse button and mouse over things next to you to do a lot of inserting (good for turrets)

* shift right click to copy the settings of nearly any configurable thing, then shift left click to apply settings to the same sort of configurable thing (also works with the programmable circuit stuff you get a little further in)

* burner miners mining coal can be pointed at each other to create an infinite coal mining loop until they fill up. control left click to loot all the coal they've mined

* you can put items on either side of a piece of transport belt

* gently caress trees forever, unironically make grenades to clear trees

* make a radar, put it in your base, now you can zoom in on the map menu on your base and have it render the base no matter where you are

* you can daisy chain labs and inserters so that they feed each other

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

necrotic posted:

You can do that in chests?! Well gently caress me sideways for never trying that.

and trains, though setting it up is a giant pain in the rear end as you can't copy and paste the locks

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

that Q button tip is legit and a thing i didn't know, thanks

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ymgve posted:

Do you guys prefer to play on normal or peaceful mode?

Also I really should stop chasing the "perfect" layout - I feel like restarting yet again, and this is the third time, and I've never gotten further than blue science.

i play on normal mode, and i use the RSO mod, so i am spending a lot of time blowing up biter nests

and yeah, don't try to make your factory "perfect" the first time -- you can always pick up everything and make a new layout, and it doesn't cost anything

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah, i try to do high discipline main bus designs, but eventually i think "oh hey i can peel off some gear wheels from this thing for a one-off assembler, and ooh there's green circuits nearby on half a belt, let's use an underground belt to siphon those off" and eventually it becomes a Big Ol' Spaghetti Nest

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

am i the only person who plays this game that doesn't ever use laser turrets

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ymgve posted:

Are there any better ways to clear out worms? As far as I know, laser turrets are the only thing with range enough to attack them without getting hit back.

Tanks can kill the big worms without getting shot back. (So can nukes.)

Before I get nukes, I just roll around with a tank backed up by a personal roboport and repair packs. As long as you've kept up with the research for cannon shells, you can even deal with gargantuan biters by focus-firing them with cannon shells while backpedalling.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also, you can run over biter nests with the tank which is hilarious

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there ever a reason to use explosive shells/rockets? They seem to have really pitiful damage compared to the solid shot ones and the area damage doesn't make up for it.

nope, i never use em

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FnF posted:

Flame turrets also outrange big worms but the pipework is tedious, and you'll still need laser/regular turrets to kill charging biters quickly.

I've tried this, but found it to be a real slog. Construction robots would pop out to repair my tank as soon as it took *any* damage, and just end up getting eaten. Also, only rarely would I be in range and have clear line-of-fire to big worms, without there being nearby spawners continually pumping out biters which would block LOF.

Having tried both, I've found laser-turret creep *much* easier. What am I missing?

"Ramming speed!" is still worth it :black101:

The trick is to not rely on the main cannon. It fires too slowly to kill large numbers of swarming biters. The tank has a machine gun as well -- use this to clear biters. Turret creep works fine in concert with this. You don't even need to exit the tank! When you've thinned out the biters, you can selectively switch to the main cannon for taking down worms. The main cannon also one-shots the nests from a large range.

With enough practice switching between weapons (and supporting research for rate of fire and damage on both bullets and cannon shells,) you can forgo the turret creep.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FnF posted:

Using red bullets? I found they just didn't do enough damage to cut down half a dozen big biters in time before another batch spawned. For the record, this was on Death World settings, so maybe spawner density is lower in regular games? I didn't think so, but maybe it's a factor. I had some +damage research done but not loads, so maybe that's it.

This makes it sound like spawner density is lower in regular games. Either way, I'm glad people are having success with it.

Yeah, red bullets, and normal settings. I had my bullet damage and speed researched as much as possible before rocket science, though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Looking at https://wiki.factorio.com/World_generator#Automatic_presets , it doesn't look like spawner density is affected. Maybe two different bases are spawning right next to each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd like to have a way for the tank main cannon to only hit nests and worms. Would make it a lot more usable in terms of clearing out bases since you could selectively snipe the structures and then clean up the remnants.

You can. Mouse over the thing you want to shoot at and press space, and it'll shoot it. There is some inaccuracy at first, though, since the tracking speed on the cannon is not great. The projectile will impact the first thing it collides with, and has limited penetration, as well -- big biters, gargantuan biters/spitters, worms, and spawners stop it cold.