Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

11. I had to quit my first game after like 20 hours because of biter infestation. I just couldn't take out their bases at all. The most I was able to do effectively was to leapfrog turrets in the direction of their nests and hope the turrets lasted long enough to get the job done. I know you can configure biter options, and that's great; but it really seems like the late-early game biter infestation is excessive.
You might not have had the tech at that point but once you have a tank and personal construction robots (and maybe a level or two of robot flight speed) you can drive around running over nests and just ignore the biters themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The recipe makes 2.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

The real solution is to unload your trains using swarms of robots

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Use a deconstruction planner with construction robots.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Can't you just run straight over trees in the tank? Maybe it slows you down a little bit I don't remember, but it doesn't stop you. Heck you can do the same thing to biter spawners.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Well I just started an angelbob multiplayer game for the first time. Every so often I'll go trace through the steps for doing something and just stare at the ceiling for a second saying fuuuuuuuuuuck. Same reaction to clicking on a research and seeing how much poo poo it unlocks.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I thought I was starting to understand things but then I tried making green science (which need inserters (which need assembling machine 2 ( which need fuuuuuuuuck)))

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i literally just finished automating that in my game, and while i personally feel that i've committed a loving warcrime maybe at least you'll be inspired :v:
Well automating the green science itself wasn't the issue, going through the rigmarole of getting the automation machine 2's built was the crazy part

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Solumin posted:

Someone please convince me it's a terrible idea to dump all my ore on one belt and let splitters sort the output.
I mean it's not a bad idea per se but since ore starts pre-sorted it's a little weird to un-sort it just to immediately re-sort

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Solumin posted:

Science is Christmas cookies? Inserters are elves with cranes?
Obviously cookies would be the various circuit boards. Science would be presents.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of mistakes made, ugh, build a drat radar at the start. I'd have seen all these massive loving cliff ranges to my west, right on the bus line, if I had. :sigh:
You can blow up cliffs

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Alkydere posted:

If you have a train network: have a dedicated steam delivery train. Yes, steam never cools and is basically stored power.

1 tank of "low temperature" steam from boilers (165 C) is 750 MJ, so nearly 100 pieces of coal.
1 tank of "high temperature" steam from nuclear heat exchangers (500C) is 2.425 GJ.

Just have a steam delivery train that make deliveries from your power plant's off-flow.
Why would you send a whole train for the equivalent of a stack and a half of coal? I guess if you had no water anywhere near the other end, but otherwise that seems like a much worse idea than just sending a train full of coal and boiling on site...

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Roflex posted:

And then I decided to look ahead in the tech tree, to oil.

I might be here a while.
I'm not sure what you mean? That's absurdly more productive than the base game oil recipe.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Alkydere posted:

It seems he's the type to want everything to have perfect ratios. So he's likely scribbling furiously on a notepad to find how many chemical plants he needs to get the ratio of heavy:light:petrol he wants.
That seems kinda pointless with liquids, but sure. Especially since the answer is 'decide how much plastic you want and crack everything to petroleum'.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Ratzap posted:

Pyanadons stuff is out for 0.17 now so I grabbed it all (it's got it's own ore stuff now so no Bobs used) and I must say, it is easily the most boring start of them at the moment. Almost 3 hours in I have made 50 red science packs (by hand of course). Iron/copper plates are 8 ore to 1 plate, you need a good 1000 to 1200 iron just to make all the requirements for red packs, tin needs steam to mine so more iron to run pipes to it, quartz needs a special expensive building to mine.
"Most boring" probably isn't an accolade a mod set wants but by god, his sure has it. Give it a try if you're having trouble getting to sleep.
Yeah it's crazy slow starting. Also until recently you needed lead to make bullets, which is locked behind research and a decently complex supply chain, so if you had biters turned on you spent a whole lot of time clubbing them to death once your initial 10 bullets ran out. There's an iron-based recipe now though.

Playing 2p multi, it took us almost 20 hours to get circuits1 fully automated, with a base larger and more complicated than you need to launch a rocket in vanilla. Circuits2 are several times more complex, like holy poo poo so much stuff required. AngelBob's felt like good complexity, Pyanodons kinda feels just a little too far on the tedious side. Still wanna finish it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Does anyone have any preferred layouts for a general purpose angelbobs ore processing setup?

I've built some decent setups previously but I never quite felt like I had the ideal handle on it.

Specifically, because all the machines output multiple things. I'm not sure what the most compact way to separate the different outputs is. And frankly I rely heavily on filter inserters to be able to even do it at all. The other option is using assemblers or other machines with specific inputs to filter them, but that just leaves you with weird interleaved setups where you now have two types of machine to handle the outputs of.
The absolute best way to do it is to use ore-specific combination sorting. You never have to worry about a warehouse filling up with some random ore and shutting down your whole system, once you have it going it just works as long as you're pouring raw ore into it. It takes a lot of setup though and requires you to be pretty deep in the tech tree. Short of that you can use splitters to filter instead of inserters, which should let you be a bit more compact.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah early on I had a warehouse for each ore type to act as a buffer. It takes forever to fill up and when it does you can either drop another warehouse or just blow it up and replace it. Slag and crushed rock still need a dedicated solution though, they build up so fast.

The combination sorting recipes are the ones that take two different types of raw ore and a catalyst to put out a single metal ore. The four basic metals take two different ore plus a catalyst, the next tier takes chunks, and the third tier takes crystals. You can set up a bus with just the four raw mine-able ores and split off the combinations you need for a particular metal ore.

Again it's more of a late game solution but after spending hours dealing with the seventeen thousand various byproducts its nice to have everything streamlined. And you never have to worry about your entire smelting chain breaking down because one product backed up.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I don't normally bother busing gears because you just don't need that many. The only thing that takes a ton of them is belts, and it's easier to just set up a separate area for that if you don't have enough iron bus capacity.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

You can lock slots to an item in the train storage like you can with your inventory .

E: Oh I think I misunderstood, you're already doing that but it's an inserter problem. I have no solution

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

FnF posted:

Is there a mod that makes green circuits *slightly* more difficult to make? For some reason, it bugs the hell out of me that they only need copper and iron.

The Simple Silicon mod adds silicon as an ingredient for red & blue circuits (and is a nice small complexity increase), but leaves green circuits alone. AAI Industries changes the recipe to copper + stone tablets (or copper + wood) but I'm not entirely sold on that.

Anyone know of any others?
Bob's mods make circuits reasonably but not excessively more complicated. I've never used anything but the full pack personally but they're supposed to be modular, so you should be able to pick just the one with circuits and hopefully it doesn't change too much other stuff.

If you really want complicated circuits then get pyanodon's :getin:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

TigerXtrm posted:

New resource icons!

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-297

I really did not like the way the new stuff looked on a belt at first, but luckily they did the sane thing and made it all random. It looks pretty badass now.

Dang that looks really good

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

The amount of space you save in coal vs plastic is never going to outweigh the annoyance of having to turn it into useful plastic on site every time.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

It sure has meaning when you're playing with another player and you're both setting up tracks on opposite sides of the base and then whoops they're going in opposite directions.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I like the way pyanodons handles it. Coal has a ton more products and can be refined further to remain useful late game and you pretty much always need it, so setting up coal infrastructure doesn't feel like a waste.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

KillHour posted:

Yeah I'm playing with all default settings (except research queue enabled, obvs), all pY mods enabled (including alien life) and no other mods except FNEI.

I'll report back if I die.
I played it a couple years ago and crafting bullets required lead, which you can't produce until a few techs in. Luckily it was multiplayer because we would very quickly run through our starting 10 magazines, and then have to spend time bashing biters to death until we were killed and could respawn with another 10 magazines. Finally we got lead up, which required a factory large enough that pollution was causing constant biter attacks. We inched our way to duralumin for turrets, and finally had the capability to take the fight to them and hopefully wipe out a few nests...and then they started spawning medium biters which instantly murdered our turrets and us. At that point we turned them off.

A later patch added a less efficient bullet recipe for iron, so it's probably a little less painful now. Although if you keep going until the endgame you're probably going to want to turn biters and pollution off for performance reasons.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

KillHour posted:

This feels like a straight-up mistake.

With copper, you turn copper ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 2 ore is smelted and the grade 1 ore is crushed into stone and grade 2 ore.

Fine, seems like grade 2 ore is "better" than grade 1 ore.

With tin, you turn tin ore into grade 1 and grade 2 ore through a screener. The grade 1 ore is smelted and the grade 2 ore is crushed into stone and grade 1 ore.

loving what?
Haha, I was annoyed by that too at that point in the game. They all have like eight steps eventually and it makes a bit more sense. I don't know if it's loosely based on real processes or what but most of the ores have pretty unique processing chains.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

I do wish you could set logistics zones without having to physically separate the roboports.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Mailer posted:

I tried literally one game of K2 and noped out of it before I reached the third science type. I was just looking for more to unlock - more efficient power, alternate recipes, better fluid handling, stuff to both handle and require megabase scaling, etc - but all it really did was add many more hours of intermediate machines in between science hurdles. Slowing down the early game also increases the amount of time you spend manually crafting/feeding and that's already a part of it I wish you could skip.
I think angelbobs has been my favorite mod set for this sort of thing. Things are definitely way more complicated than the base game but it gives you a lot of tools to use as well. The ore system and advanced smelting feels really good once you get the hang of it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

So in space exploration, what do you do if you waste the few hundred rocket science you get from nauvis orbit? I randomly researched a few interesting looking technologies and looking at things more critically later I see that I got very lucky that one of them unlocked a component you need to make more rocket science. I don't have a save prior to the research finishing, so how would you progress at that point if you hadn't unlocked that one technology?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Ah nevermind, you do get cooled thermofluid initially from pre space research. I saw the space super cooling tech that unlocks what I guess is a more efficient recipe and didn't find the other one with a quick search.

Now I'm even madder that I didn't spend that initial rocket science on robot upgrades!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

For the bigger content mods I've taken to playing with biters enabled for the early game, and then getting rid of them via console command when they stop being a challenge and start being an annoyance. You can also turn off pollution at that point too, getting rid of both made a noticeable improvement to lag on a lategame pyanodon multiplayer base.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

The train shotgun to load the reactors was great, but for whatever reason I found them spitting out the spent fuel cells absolutely hilarious.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Factorio: Kessler Syndrome Simulator

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Just got to the spidertron in Space Ex and I'm very disappointed that you can't put 4 tesla guns in it for maximum lightning

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Basically it was a choice between expending an incredible amount of generator fuel and building everything in space, or expending a large amount of construction materials to run rockets with cargo capacities that are too loving enormous to easily use mixed, except by feeding them incredibly slowly via logic-controlled inserters. Give me a choice in factorio between paying for something in electricity or something else, and I'm almost always going to pick electricity.

e: I am packing cargo rockets with all three flavors of chips as well as every available science pack, plus inserters, solar panels, and anything else which can be used in space but made on land, but I've yet to launch with a completely full cargo inventory no matter how long it has been between trips upstairs.
In my current multiplayer game we've just unlocked and set up a space elevator. Up until now we've had a single mixed inventory cargo rocket which fills up every hour or so, I don't think the space elevator is going to be any more convenient although saving on the rocket parts and fuel will be nice. Filling it up is super easy, you can set up a circuit which tells you exactly what your space platform is short on and then use that to set the requests on a logistics warehouse, no need to individually control inserters or anything.

When we unlocked delivery cannons I tried setting them up for every resource and immediately drained all the power from our base, that kinda scared me off them and I never bothered going back to them once we unlocked kovarex and expanded our nuclear plant. We do use them for small amounts of stuff like getting nuclear fuel and vulcanite to all the places that need it.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Really the solution is to scale up the rest of your factory until you're using all the power.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Finally got Material Pack 1s out in SpaceEx, holy gently caress did that take a lot of space even with full speed 3s and beacons. I foolishly set up three unmoduled research servers to make them so I kept getting numbers like 216 unmoduled mechanical facilities each to make enough Compressive and Tensile data when I did my first math pass. It came down to just under 56 each but for the whole setup for just these packs we’re talking over a thousand Speed 3 modules, with some Speed 4s sprinkled in to keep numbers more even.
How much science are you making??! We've just produced our first deep space science and we have exactly one (1) machine for each type of data card.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

The one thing I really miss from angelbobs is the overflow/underflow valves. That's 90% of the use cases for pumps, way more convenient to have it as a single entity. That plus the variable sized tanks were really nice.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

The description sounds neat! I'll likely try it out after the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

You should delete all planet surfaces you're not actually building on, if you haven't already, and trim the ones you are. Killing all biters and turning off pollution using console commands will also help.