Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Nevermind, this was a pretty basic math question that took me too long to figure out.

Follow-up, though: if I want to mix Speed and Productivity modules in science production such that I end up with higher productivity, but the exact same amount of overall production, how do I do it?

e: A rough approximate isn't too bad, but I'd still like a perfect ratio; two Productivity 3 modules is -30% speed, so .7 of normal speed, 1 / 0.7 is about 1.42, so two Speed 1 slightly undercompensates, and a single Speed 3 overcompensates.

e2: wait is it actually just additive? literally just have equal amounts of speed bonuses and speed penalties across all machines?

e3: no; additive works for inputs but outputs are more complex since speed and productivity bonuses interact

Stacking 2 Speed 2s on a beacon and having 2 Prod 3s on the lab should neutralize any speed loss, but if you're at beacon stage you should be trying for max speed (unless your science production can't keep up)

If you're worried about ratios, that might get trickier, because then you're comparing decimals with 2 and 4 significant digits to match up... harder to work with than just whole numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Evilreaver posted:

what no

Anything speed related can be solved with more parallel machines (ie more labs) MUCH cheaper than putting speed beacons in. Productivity modules grant straight-up free resources, in labs especially, and should absolutely be prioritized 100%. Speed in beacons is fine.

Yeah but for every lab you put down you also need 2 prod 3s for. 1 beacon with 2 speed modules (50%) effecting 6 labs means you have an effective 9 labs for the cost of 14 modules. If you had 9 labs with just the two prod modules, you're already at 18 modules to meet the same throughput as the beacon version. That's an overall loss of 4 modules.

I mean yeah more labs is always the answer, but unless I did my math horribly wrong here, speed would be better if you wanted to optimize your resources to science first rather than modules first.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Ceyton posted:

- RNG ideas here
- A ring of blue belts pointing inwards? Or get a mod that allows you to build trees/water/cliffs around it.

e: Actually, I like the blue belt idea the more I think about it. Build it on an attack route into your base, and it will be like a black hole, sucking in biters and trapping them forever :twisted:

Why not both. Have a ring of blue belts pointing inwards that has several radars nearby close enough to be hit by a spitter. The biters will prioritize the radars over the belts and get one hit off before being whisked away. Each is covered by a roboport repair bot. When the roboport drops below 1 (empty when it leaves to repair), trigger a signal unique to that port.

Now for my next trick ill be herding cats...

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

FISHMANPET posted:

So speaking of liquidification, what's a good ratio? Based on the calculator I'm gonna build with 70 refineries into plastic and that should just about suck dry 4 belts of coal, I think that's something like 38 plastic plants?

To crack all that coal (70 refineries worth) into petroleum, you'll need approximately 46 heavy to light, 64 light to petroleum... but that's ratio wise.

If i did my napkin math right, you're looking at 9 heavy to light, 26 light to gas, and 20 plastic plants...maybe a little more if you're not feeding the heavy oil back into the system.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

SkunkDuster posted:

1. Is there a way to get more accurate counts of items? For example, if I hook a chest up to a telephone pole, and I have 2635 copper in the chest, the icon on the pole will say 2.6K. I would like it to show the exact number. Same with production statistics and electric network info. I would like to see exactly how many solar panels and accumulators I have instead of it being rounded to the nearest 100.

A low tech vanilla solution is input your raw input wire to a series of modulus arithmetic nodes. Divide them by a unit of 10, 100, 1000 etc, then output them on multiple wires (or as unique signals).

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Willfrey posted:

Is there any way to bypass red in the upgrade planner?

I basically rushed all blue stuff, have my entire base built mostly of yellow stuff

I just made a big mall that makes everything blue tech, and I of course made it very compact and it would be SUPER annoying to have to make a bunch of red belts (and tunnels and splitters etc...) just so i can then put down my blue belts.

Any way around this?

In the upgrade planner you can set your own blueprint on how it can upgrade. You can tell it to upgrade yellow belts, splitters, and tunnels directly to their blue counterpart.

Efb. Darn

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

That's an elegant way to unload a train - but wouldn't be slightly slower to unload than just lining both sides with all 6 unloaders; or is there something I might be missing?

Anyone good with circuit logic?

I'm trying for the life of me of using a single wire to transmit multiple signals of the same type. I thought I had something by making the inputs the binary sum of flags. So say in the above image, the input 5 would output 32 (2^5), and input 2 would output 4 (2^4), the wire would then transmit 36. I thought shifting the bits back the same I shifted them forward would give me their individual values back, but that only works for the largest input. Is there a way to do this, or am I overcomplicating this?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Jabor posted:

It looks like your wire is transmitting 36, exactly the way you want it to? Thus, the problem must be in how you're pulling it back apart (which you didn't show us).

But, I think I know what's going on. You're trying to read these flags by shifting right the same number you've shifted left, yes? And it's not working right when a flag with a bigger number is also set? That's because when you shift right, you don't just have a 1 or a 0, you also have whatever higher bits were set by other flags. You'll need to clear those out somehow.

The easiest way is to accomplish that is to, after you do your right shift, do a bitwise AND (the & symbol) with 1.

Probably would have helped if I showed the whole thing eh.

But weird, yeah, doing the bitwise AND did the trick. I wonder why? I figured that the binary representation for the sum would not have weird combos. Like 32 would be 10000, and 4 would be 10, so the sum would be 10010. So if you shifted it 2, you'd get 1, and if you shifted it 5 you'd get 1.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

greatZebu posted:

If you shift 10010 once, you get 01001. The "& 1" operation isolates just the lowest bit.

:doh:

I've spent like 1000 hours in this game and I still get surprised in unique ways to unload a train. Thanks!

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I believe the running suggestion is try Krastorio 2. It introduces a lot more intermediate steps and a longer end game, but not as involved as bobs.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

KillHour posted:

The madman is back and he's brought jumping trains with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWc9YbyJGYo

After seeing what he did to fuel a 4x4 reactor setup, I had to stop the video and take a hard look in the distance of how insanely brilliant this guy is.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
So because I hate myself and wanted to set a goal to actually finish a project I've started I decided to go straight to finish a SE run. 13 days in (not including lab times for testing and rate testing) and so far its been a fun, albeit arduous journey. But now I've stonewalled at the last major hurdle. Those drat arcospheres.

I just can't figure out how to balance the drat things. I've must have spent 2 solid days trying to figure out how to do it, and nothing seems to work. I wanted to use bots and chests to actively balance them.

My best attempt takes 3 numbers, avg, min and max and basically allows one of the 8 folding devices if it meets the criteria:

• The sum of the input spheres > the sum of the output spheres
  • One of the input spheres must be greater than the max
  • One of the output spheres is lower than the min
If it meets one of these conditions it is allowed to run. Simple so far. It works ... until one value gets horribly unbalanced, like 10 and 2. All three are met because 6+6 is the same as 10+2 and before I can stop it, its deadlocked.

I probably could just find a blueprint that does it, but I want to avoid cheating like that and solve it because its a logistical puzzle its put forth... I'm just missing something that makes it click... anyone have any suggestions?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Darox posted:

There is 10 folding recipes, the 8 paired ones but also the 2 inversions that take 4 spheres each. It might initially seem like the two inversions are not important but they're essential for preventing that kind of 10-2 imbalance you're describing. You can run the same kind of conditions on them, though you may want to make sure you can scale for multiple machines because those recipes are noticeably slower than the others.

:doh: That did it. I was so focused trying to make the 8 worked that I said, "Oh doing the inversion is a trap to break things further". It also helped to add a few more arcospheres in the system so there weren't a single one trapped in a machine waiting to be folded.

Its not perfect but it does work and is stable. Thank you so much.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Did someone say [Thunderfury, Blessed Power Pole of the Factory Maker]?

I'm hesitantly optimistic about the quality... some of the annoying details of inventory management, but if the Dyson Sphere Program could make it work, I'm sure they'll hammer out the details in the next 11 months.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Everything in this expansion feels like they took all the great things from SE and put it in the base game. I do hope there's a method to toggle the right click to destruct - I have a habit of holding down right click when multitasking and deleting things without even knowing it is gonna be a pain.

I hope they put the beacon changes next. Gimme those wide beacons and tiny beacons hell yeah.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

seiken posted:

Since the topic is mod recommendations, I will take the opportunity to plug a new overhaul mod I just released today: Ultracube. If you thought there wasn't enough reason to get up to combinator shennanigans in vanilla, it might be the mod for you.

I got to say I finally picked this up, and I'm definitely captivated by it. I've only just unlocked the third science tier, but I honestly love the logistic challenge of keeping the cube between factories as short as possible while still having the room to expand.

I can imagine it may be a little rough to some folks as there are points of downtime where you're kinda waiting for the cube to come where you need it (like power) but its still its pretty great.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
I have beaten your funny cube challenge strange cube man. It's overall good but man there's no real way to decrease that downtime between all the rare metals, tar and such huh?

I loved the challenge with the qubits, though I wish the tool tip said that a valid combination could be 2 of the same quarks. Spent far too long trying to figure out why it was stopping working after a few operations..

I enjoyed it. Good 80 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

SettingSun posted:

I would argue the whole challenge of the cube mod IS to reduce the cube downtime.

I agree! But I found it really hard to reduce downtime while building enough buffer to keep production moving smoothly during its travel to the next module... like for example, I have the cube on a circular bus. I have 4 smelters for rare earth metals, each separated by a charger.

To get it back on the bus I need to transport 60 or so blocks back if I build it perpendicular to the bus. If I loop the furnaces such that the start is the end, I need to make the bus longer to fit the vertical slice of furnaces. I could just have one furnace and simply feed it back in itself, but now I have to empty it before it returns or gets stuck waiting...which you can only empty fast enough with endgame unloaders...but at that point you're at the end game and it's just easier to wait than tear down and rebuild.

Now multiply this problem 8 times while balancing the problem of keeping power going (before nuclear) and it feels a bit of a slog. I felt it mostly on tar production.

Maybe I'm just dumb and bad at factorio, but it feels like as you go further in the tech tree the optimal solution to reduce downtime is tearing it down and rebuilding for each new recipe or just find that golden ratio of production that keeps shifting for each tier.