Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Niavmai posted:

Right off the bat I will tell you to stop using a single rail for two directions. That is asking for trouble. Make two lines, and have them only go in one direction each. The only time you should use a single line rail, is when you're using a single train on a closed loop.

Doesn't the wiki outright tell you to learn trains by playing OpenTTD? Does it actually handle signals in the same manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
One step closer to Open TTD. :v:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I don't think stations count as signals.

Even though the second train is "behind" the first, it's still in the block your exiting train wants to join, so the signals will stay red.

You can either add a signal before the merges, or add signals between the stations and the exit signals as the Fishmanpet suggests, although this doesn't really scale well.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I think I need a sanity check here. Can someone please tell me what the ideal ratio for reactor:exchanger:turbine is for a single nuclear reactor? I seem to be stuck at about 60% power output and I can't see why.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

BrainMeats posted:

Do these numbers seem right? Scroll down a bit for ratios.

A single reactor, 4 exchangers, 7 turbines is only 40MW at best so not a whole lot of power.

Yeah that's the ratio I'm using. I set up a single reactor as a proof of concept, but I can't get more than 25MW out of it. I'm going to rework some of the steam pipes.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

e: ^^^ Heat pipes lose heat over distance, so if your heat exchangers are too far away from the reactor they're not going to function as well. Steam does not lose heat over distance so you can use as much piping as you like.

Exchangers are all at 500°C, which leads me to believe it's some kind of steam throughput problem.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

The Evil Thing posted:

Exchangers are all at 500°C, which leads me to believe it's some kind of steam throughput problem.

OK, I'm lost. A setup which works perfectly well (100%) in sandbox won't go above 70% in an actual game, even though the layout, inputs and even orientation are all identical. Is there some "nuclear energy efficiency" technology that I just didn't see or something?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

The sandbox setup was under the same load as your ingame setup?

Less, actually.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

I'd bet that your Offshore Pump is located a fair-to-moderate distance from your HEs. I've found that water pipe distance is one thing that keeps killing my reactors.

Now I'm paranoid as poo poo about it and design my reactors to be built in lakes so that every bank of HEs have their own directly-linked pump. Call it overkill but my reactors are locked at 100%

You might be right about that. The original reactor was in the middle of a desert (equidistant to four big uranium patches) but when I moved it close to a lake it worked fine. I guess I could train in water, but that seems a bit ridiculous.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Does anyone know of a good railway guide? I'm trying to go full OpenTTD here with a massive interconnected train network and would be interested to see a) what people can do with circuits and logistic signals, and b) some example junctions etc. so I can roughly gauge my own designs' relative effectiveness.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

necrotic posted:

Oh, they load themselves?! I thought you had to have something else feeding them, or manually refuel over time. That makes them way more useful than I thought (at least for boilers).

If you suffer prolonged coal shortages then they may eventually run out of power and have no way of fuelling themselves, even when the coal supply returns.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Did anyone ever come up with a Kovarex process design that didn't use logistics chests? Everything I tried always ends up as spaghetti or badly optimised, usually both.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Thanks, guys, that's given me some ideas to experiment with.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I can confirm that if a station is disabled while a train is stopped at it, the train will stay until its leave condition is fulfilled. I use this to the fullest extent in my train based factory.

All my stations are named either <material> Provider or <material> Consumer. Both types have warehouse buffers, and the Provider stations are enabled when there's at least one full train load in the warehouses. The Consumer stations are turned on when there's less than two full train loads in storage.

I do this too. It's so much easier than faffing about with a million different station names. If you see a supply bottleneck, you can just create a train with orders to go between whatever station "types" you need and send it on its way. You do have to be careful to give them a station that's always "on", though, or they'll clog up your lines wandering around aimlessly. I've been able to mitigate this by constructing "depots" where trains will go when all the other stations in their orders are offline, as well as the usual waiting bays at each station.

Has anyone found a (elegant) way to solve the problem of branches off the main line having merge-before-split type junctions?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Ratzap posted:

If I get that last question, I think you mean running single tracks away from the main? Simple answer, don't. I always lay double tracks everywhere. Tracks are cheap, so are signals and space is abundant.

A merge-before-split occurs when traffic that wants to enter a line has to do so before traffic that wants to leave is able to. Cloverleaf junctions are a real-world example of this. If traffic flow is not a concern then they're compact, easy and cheap to build. In Factorio terms, since there's no z-axis, we can't bridge over tracks, so situations like this can occur.

If there's too much traffic then the system can get clogged, which will back up the entire line in one or both directions.

The only solution I've found so far is to build these entrances and exits really far apart, but that's just a workaround, and I was hoping that someone else knew a solution.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

What naming convention do you all use for your train stations? I've got everything ready to start building a mega-base but I'm finding it difficult to keep track of my mines.

I started doing a basic coordinate scheme such as 'Iron-E50-N05' with the center of my base defined as 00,00. It's kinda clunky and was wondering what everyone else does.

X Load
X Unload
Depot

where X is whatever is being loaded onto the train. Having unique station names sounds like total torture, since you'd have to keep track of all the stations and update your trains' orders whenever a deposit dries up.

The Depot is a special station I keep to "store" trains that don't have anywhere to go right at that moment (usually because all the stations on their route have been turned off for whatever reason). It doesn't get much use, but it can be nice to have if there seem to be traffic problems on certain lines.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

concise posted:

I think zisteau is currently doing a let's play on it

One thing I really like about Zisteau is that he actually edits his videos. He'll explain his plans and show you what he's built "off camera", but won't make you sit through hours of him placing belts and power poles, unlike other YTers who just capture footage, chop it up into 20 minute segments and call it a day.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Zisteau has a larger budget corresponding to his larger following, I think, though it's unclear whether that's the result of his investment in to editing or the reason he can invest in editing or both.

Quite probably he does have a major advantage over smaller channels, but from the point of view of the "end user" I just find his videos much easier to recommend. That's all, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I'm not really sure it's a great idea. A fluid wagon can only carry 25,000 units of liquid, and an offshore pump does 1200 per second. Every car you put on the locomotive is equal to 21 seconds of offshore pump production. Considering you need 14 offshore pumps for a 1100 MW reactor array...

Offshore pumps are cheap as chips. When I was training water, I built an enormous city of pumps and storage tanks, with multiple loading/unloading bays.

Having a bunch of pipes is probably more efficient, but I think the train system is a bit more scalable (and more fun :v:).