Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sage Grimm posted:

Correct and they're fantastic for fiddling with layouts but they're pretty far into the tech tree.

EDIT: ^ Hm, seems my memory of them is misplaced.

They're still pretty far in. You need a full oil system, making batteries and lubricant. You also need multiple researches which require hundreds of science packs each.

e: and you actually need to have gotten as far as blue science, you just don't need to have used any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Why do you have raw copper on your bus?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Spaseman posted:

Does anyone know how to get my splitters to output my plates in a 1:1 left-right ratio? As it stands I always end up with one side getting way more plates than the other.

Your balancer is balancing it so that you have 1 feeding the left, and 2 feeding the right, and 1 feeding the middle. The middle one is doing mostly right since the source is biased right.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Moddington posted:

Filters on rail cars are great for transporting oil barrels, since they need to carry the empties back with them.

Wouldn't the turnaround be faster if you just had them visit a second station for putting the empties on?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Record for one RD is just under 4 hours, so you still need to cut that in half.
That 1 RD/minute save has a play time of 238 hours.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zephyrine posted:

All stations have all materials.

The main problem is that if the rail line looks like this:

Base------1------2-------3-----Base (circle)

I tell the trains to go Base-1-2-3

But then if I add a station between 2 and 3 named.... 2.5 then the trains will go Base-1-2-3-2.5-base

Making a trip around the track that skips all the other stations. So I have to wipe the trains station list and place them out again with new timers

This is a really weird way to do it. Why does every train need to visit every station? If the issue is that you need multiple stations to fill up a single train, then why do you have more than one train?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Wouldn't it make more sense to do like

beacons
belt
furnace
beacons
furnace
belt
beacons

rather than have each smelter taking from and feeding two belts?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The game is very playable. Not sure what close to beta means. It could very well be considered feature complete at this point, but they keep adding stuff in. The game has been within a year of release for like the past 3, so take from that what you will.

Also, it's just launched on steam very recently. It's only been in steam early access for 5 days.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

FISHMANPET posted:

I don't think you could pack a factory full enough with modules and there's not really a reason to when you can just build another factory. For reference, my research factory:

That's twice as many labs as I need with all the research upgrades I have, but whatever, I just left them forever.

Those ratios! Your inserter and belt factories are going to be off half the time. Clearly everything else needs to double.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
One inserter factory and one belt factory is enough for 12 green science.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
That doesn't really make sense. You want to put more on the train than you take off?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It definitely changes how you load/unload factories. Instead of pulling straight off/onto a belt, you can use an intermediate chest and greatly increase your inserter bandwidth.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Malloreon posted:

How many players is the multiplayer? 2? 2-4?

the hard limit is 65535.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
For building solar, you just want to build panels and accumulators in the correct ratio until you are making enough power. The ratio is 25 accumulators for every 21 solar panels, though you don't really need to be that precise.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Press alt.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Solumin posted:

Concrete has a stack size of 100 so in my opinion a 10x10 blueprint is the way to go. Much easier to figure how much concrete you need.

I just hold down the mouse button and paint with the concrete blueprint. Each blueprint is a different brush type.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A joule is a watt second.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Node posted:

Okay, basic lanes/balancing question. Here's a setup of mine using the main bus method.

I decided to crop the image so pardon the redundant red outline. As you can see I have a pretty full main bus of iron plates. However, I'm not using nearly enough of the furnaces at the top to create steel. The first few are getting plates, but the furnaces chew through the plates fast enough that all the furnaces aren't being used. What is the best way to fill up the two lanes of iron plates for the steel furnaces? Screenshots would be great if possible. Thanks.

You've got 4 lanes of iron, but you've only got the capacity to throughput 1. Instead of taking two full lanes, merging them into 1, then splitting that into 4, just have your two lanes continue throughout.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tulip posted:

Victory at 24:53. I think I can get that time down a few hours if I actually prep decently for the launch and if I'm better about my plastics use. I had an interesting map - I was on a peninsula, so I didn't see biters for a while but when I did they came in force. The early-midgame transition period was very fraught. Also it was mostly desert with long distances so it felt a little Mad Max.

Very satisfying.

Just cut another 22 hours off and you'll be in the running.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

MrYenko posted:

Speaking of personal roboports, how do they work? I have one on my armor, with power, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Do you have any construction robots?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

zedprime posted:

The secret point of the bus methodology is that it is a giant loving chest that can store excess production and soak the temporary spin up of on-demand goods. The bus purposefully (whether the player knows it or not) outsizes production to let it store junk in other words.

This is basically true for a lot of things, but not green chips. You're going to want those to be running basically all the time. Instead of having a splitter there, I would just strip off one of the lanes of copper, so that your green chips don't have to dip in production when some other incidental thing that draws from the same belt spins up.

I mean, it's not like you'd lose on throughput elsewhere in case green chips shut down, since you've still got three lanes going for two lanes of input. You'd just be changing the minimum proportion of copper going to green chips from 3/16 to 1/4.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ciaphas posted:

When are robots actually better/easier/more effective to use than conveyor systems?

Almost always easier. Very seldom more effective.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You don't really need very many artifacts.

Each artifact makes ten science packs, and you start by researching better productivity modules to put in your purple science machine.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The factorio speedrun time is now under 2 hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL-kB3gdVIs

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You should play big pharma.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DarkSol posted:

I've got plenty of solid fuel for both the burner inserters and the boilers for all 30 of them. I have ten boilers for ten steam engines, each fed from a separate pump per ten boilers.

I'm thinking it may be a bug, because it just started all of a sudden.

I am definitely sure.

Check out this power graph.

Everything looks fine here. Your prducers cut out because you're producing way more than you're consuming.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Platystemon posted:

I can only imagine the size of a resource patch that would warrant eight wagons.

It's a function of size and also distance. If the patch is twice as far away, then you get twice the resources per trip.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GenericOverusedName posted:

Why did I not bus green circuits before, good god I am dumb.

It's not a big deal what you do or don't bus. There's something appealing about having each assembly be self sufficient, and only take in iron/copper. As long as you build in the right ratios, it reduces the kinds of supply problems you can have.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GenericOverusedName posted:

Thing is I do have basically one big belt of green circuits, but its weaving all over the factory as a horrific spaghetti snake and I'm not able to expand it at all as a result. And I need more red and blue circuits, dangit!

If you do bus green chips, I still might just build them in place for red chips.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You really don't need apm to do an 8 hour game. Planning, yes. But, 8 hours gives you a lot of leeway in terms of executing that plan.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

little munchkin posted:

What is the endgame for these massive setups people keep posting? Trains and stuff seem cool but I'm not really sure what people are using all those resources for.

You know how the numbers in the game go up? What if they went up faster?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Redeye Flight posted:

Oh I do that already. This game was made for me.

My problem is that I didn't scale up the foundationals (namely, microchips) nearly enough for the later-grade stuff, which is already built deep into the design. So I'm constantly having to staple new complexes on the side and I'm running out of accesses to my main resource belt.

Red and Green science have always run just swimmingly, but I have NEVER been able to get the mix right on Blue. Usually I'm short on purple arms but never once have I had adequate amounts of everything. So I have to constantly tweak the inputs, turn the gear machine on and off to keep it from choking the sorter, manually feed in microchips to the later parts of the belt...

It's aggravating.

What do you mean by choking the sorter? You shouldn't have to turn anything off. Just let your inputs saturate the belt, and they'll automatically scale back to produce the appropriate amount. Then, look at what isn't saturated and make more of that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A bus is like a highway that carries resources. It's a centralized place for assembly areas to take input from, and stick output onto. This way, you don't have to worry about pathing a belt from each assembly area to each other assembly area that requires its output, you just have to have each area be connected to the bus. This also allows you to build your factory in a more modular way. If, for example, you notice you need more green chips for something, you can just stick more green chip assemblers at some point along the bus that feed into your depleted green chip belt or shut down some green chip hungry machine you have, and it just works, since the green chip consumers don't care where their green chips come from, and the green chip producers don't care where they go.

In short, yeah, it's just a bunch of belts running in parallel, but the power comes from its modularity and infinite extensibility.

Here's a random picture from the internet of a main bus based factory

This is what main bus factories look like in general, even if this one is a little messy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
If it's backed up at production, and you're not saturating consumption, then you've got a bottleneck somewhere. Either you simply don't have enough belts on the bus to handle what you're making, or there's somewhere non-obvious where you're merging belts and reducing throughput.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Collateral Damage posted:

Making solar panels steam generators instead of electricity generators would be nice. Change solar panels to reflectors and have a solar heating tower that outputs hot water / steam based on how many reflectors are around it.

You can already mod in upgraded steam generators from GotLag's nuclear mod. Even if you don't use the reactors you have the Steam Turbine that can be fed by (a lot of) boilers.

So, instead of using accumulators, we can just store the steam in tanks overnight?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Can we barrel steam?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gay Hitler posted:

Also any way to see pollution? Hitting Alt on the map isn't doing it

Click the polution button on the map.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Retro42 posted:

Got a starter-level red/green factory up and running. I know it's no where near optimized or anything but it's a super cheap blueprint I make create early on with a minimum amount of preliminary research. Before I tear it apart and put it back together again multiple times in frustration, whats a good ratio to aim for when making red/green?

The ratios for red/green science are pretty simple.

Aiming for two packs a second:

Green takes 6 seconds, red takes 5, so we need 10 red and 12 green.

Red is consuming 2 gear wheels a second, and gear wheels take .5 seconds, so we need one gear wheel factory for our 10 red factories.

Similarly, we need one factory for belts and inserters to meet the demand of 12 green factories.
Belts and inserters both need 2 gear wheels a second, so green needs two gear wheel factories.
Inserters need 2 green chips a second, which is supplied by a single green chip factory.

Green chips are a little tricky and require a ratio of 3 wire factories to 2 green chip factories. I normally bus in green chips from a larger green chip factory, or you can just have two wire factories on site.

So, 10 red with 1 gear, and 12 green with 1 inserter, 1 belt, 2 gear, 1 chip and 2 wire.

e: here's what my science looks like just after adding green

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Retro42 posted:

God drat it.

I was just puttering about paving/expanding my previously mentioned research facility. Goon Island is an amazing seed btw.

Turns out using a seed from here has ....unintended consequences on my builds. Concrete is still in the works...Must. Pave. The. World.

I present the deliberately unnamed "Research Facility 1"

:dong:

:doh:

You could put 24 green science and 20 red science production for the amount of intermediates production you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Rexides posted:

I was thinking about such a setup last night when I went to bed, glad that someone verified that it works. Does it work with electric furnaces too, with the powerlines in-between the inserters? That would make for a very compact design. It's probably going to be fixed at some point though

You should play the item belting challenge campaign if you think it's going to be fixed.