Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm a little bit addicted to this right now, and may have to try some alternate setups when I'm not at work.

Right now, my go-to layouts are the train-level furnace/ore setup line, with some of the components swiped processed and reloaded as steel or wire, so the four main resources are all in one place.

I'll also have to try and find some of my earlier setups. The first time I got to Blue Science was a convoluted maze of underground conveyors, loaders switching products between belts and back again just to have it on a certain side, and a general lack of foresight combined with having everything near to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Without logistics robots, you can use Smart Inserters to only take certain things, so a chest with three outputs and one input can work. I've been pondering a setup with 'branches' to different mini factories, which then branch off to final products.

The tricky part is, without robots the only way to make the inserters stop is to have no more room. so you still have a big line of stuff.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It has a 'peaceful mode' where the enemies still spawn, but never leave their camps to attack. Hunt them as needed.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Aha, I found my huge mess! First factory to make blue science packs.

Not pictured are the two off-screen chemical plants responsible for batteries, several fields of power generators, copper mine a few hundred belt-spaces away from the base and massive backlog hurriedly picked up so the gif would actually be animated.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Ciaphas posted:

I keep seeing GIFs like this of this game and that old cartoon "industry/factory/building something" music keeps playing in my head. It's sort of wonderful. :allears:

If you mean our rival site's classic http://blueballfixed.ytmnd.com/ then we think alike.

And there's a wiki, yes. http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/
I recommend the 'dicking around' approach first though. You're only new once!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The alien natives are attracted to pollution. So spreading out is also a good way to reduce attacks, and they generally go for the same places once they start.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Also: Don't get off until they've stopped moving.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There is, that's just where the demo ends. You can jump in to Chapter 2, which picks up where the demo chapter left off, so no need to re-do things either.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's a triangle-arrow displayed when you're placing the plans, but once it's down, that's it. Unless you pick it up again, anyway.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That and de-constructed items. Storage chests are basically the 'Misc' option when a robot has to put something somewhere. If it's not being requested - Storage Chest.

Right now, I'm pondering how feasible satellite-bases are outside of peaceful mode. Lay tracks and power poles from the main base to a good alternate starting location, carry a huge pile of belts etc. and don't worry about research, power or anything other than Advance Circuits. Then carry them back by the trainful.

Maybe it'll be more effective in multiplayer, have players merging their factories.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Some sort of mega-warehouse? A 'chest' that takes up multiple spaces?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Someone submit a similar mod that adds Oblivion gates.