Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Travic posted:

I'm laying down lots of concrete using blueprints so I tried putting a concrete requester chest down at the work site so the construction bots wouldn't have to head allllll the way back to central storage. But obviously the construction bots won't pull from a requester chest. Is there a better way to handle this than replacing it with a provider chest when it's full?

I haven't tested it, but I think this will work:

Have a requester chest feeding via smart inserter to a smart chest feeding via smart inserter into a passive provider chest.
Connect the requester chest to the second inserter (feeding into the provider chest) with a red wire.
Connect the first inserter to the smart chest and passive provider chest with green wires.
Set the requester chest to ask for 50 units of concrete.
Set the first inserter to pull while its circuit condition (not logistics condition) is less than 200 concrete.
Set the second inserter to pull while its circuit condition is greater than 50 concrete. (You may have to set it to 49... I forget if they're strictly > or >=.)

The robots will try to fill the requester chest, but the inserter immediately pulls out its contents into the smart chest, until you have 200 units in the smart chest. When there's enough buffer in the smart chest, the inserter will stop pulling out of the requester chest, letting it fill up. The provider chest won't start filling up until the requester chest is full, so robots won't try to fill up the requester chest with the provider chest, so it avoids robots being stupid and looping forever.

When you start pulling out of the provider chest robots might start filling up the requester chest from the provider chest, but eventually the provider chest will empty and the requester chest will have to pull in new items from across the map before the provider chest starts filling up again.

You can do this with repair packs or other items too, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
For having two unloading stations in series, why not just put only one actual train station post at the far station, and have just a signal instead at the close station? If the far station is available, the train will use it as usual. If the far station is occupied, the train will pull up to the near station and get unloaded even though it's really just waiting to get to the far station.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 5, 2016

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Because then I can't set conditions. And the minute the station is free, the train will pull into it even if the cargo-hold is empty or not. I'm just going to widen it horizontally to allow me to put in tracks that come in from the side so trains can bypass each other.

Also, on the topic of griefing in Factorio, it's so infuriating. People can do something as small as reversing a belt's direction, or inserter. There are tonnes of things to do that would be so difficult to diagnose in a massive factory.

If it was me I'd want the second train to pull up when the first station is free in case there's a third train coming in.

Making the stations parallel rather than in series, like you're doing with the bypasses, is a more robust solution anyway.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

Oh loving hell really.

Now I gotta figure out how to do a 6 item belting to labs. Great.

There was a post on the official forums about "rainbow belts" which is using circuit conditions on belts to ensure a good mix of any set of items on a single looping belt.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28414

I've been trying it out in my latest Bob's/Angel's campaign and I like it. I've also wanted to try using it on one of those big Arumba streams just to see how hard he gets triggered, but that takes too much effort to join in and stuff.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Absolute mind blowing insanity. I continue to be amazed by what people cook up using the circuit network...

What I find the most amazing is how simple it is. It doesn't need any power or combinators, just wires. It's also self-balancing, so it doesn't matter if ingredients are used in a 1:1 ratio or not. It just *works*.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
On train signals chat, I have a simple rule for normal vs chain signals that works most of the time:

Is it safe for a train to stop AFTER the signal?
Yes: Normal Signal.
No: Chain Signal.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Side-loading was changed as part of the new belt code, right? Can I still make a lane-balancer like I used to?

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
Hey, GotLag, are you able to update FLAN for 0.16? I'm playing AngelBobs and I want to more easily balance which recipes I'm using based on what I'm currently running surplus, which means communicating across the entire factory.

As a feature request, would it be too much trouble to add a channel variable to separate various wireless networks for different purposes without using multiplexing?

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

GotLag posted:

Performance was total rear end, which I assume is the reason why every other wireless mod has been abandoned as well.

Aww. Oh, well. Well, considering I needed a new computer to actually run mid-game AngelBobs at more than 20 UPS, probably for the best.

quote:

Edit: As for channels, the problem is how to implement that UI-wise. The signal selection was just a constant combinator's GUI.

I was thinking a new variable, like you had for Reactors, that would never be sent through an antenna but would instead set the antenna's channel number.

Of course, if the performance of wireless signals was already bad, then adding the ability for UINT64 new channels would probably make it even worse.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 16, 2018

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Too much green plant stuff in shots with big factories. The blasted hellish moonscape looks like a desert planet rather than the result of thousands of acres of concrete paving and enough factory smoke to blot out the sun. 2/10

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

update: even with visual aids and experimentation, chain signals still loving mystify me somehow

Picking signals are about what's after the signal.

Q: If this signal is green, but the next signal is red, will the train stop in a safe location?
Y: Normal signal.
N: Chain signal. Repeat question for next signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Figured, guess I was hoping for a weird trick I didn't know. Bots (and automation of creation of bots) can wait in that case, they'd basically be glorified mall-resupply haulers until I can make logistics requests.

Have to stop everything and beeline automating solar panels and accumulators first and fast, tho 'cos I just had my first blackout and that's No Fun to jumpstart again

One thing is you can copy-paste the ingredients from an assembler/chemplant/refinery/whatever with shift-right-click on the building, then paste to a requester chest with shift-LMB on the chest. This copy/pastes the ingredients in the right ratio to the requester chest settings. I think by default it pastes several seconds worth of ingredients to the chest.

Actually, shift-RMB copy / shift-LMB paste works with a lot of stuff. Assembler recipes, train wagon filters, inserter circuit settings, train schedules and colour, train stop names and colour, train station colour to/from train locomotive colour, and probably more that I can't remember.