Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I started playing this game a couple of days ago and it's great fun, but now that I understand a lot of the basics I'm looking around and it's hard to find layouts of factories people have done and interesting designs. I've read the last ten pages or so, bur it's almost building a computer chat and bot logistics. That, combined with the age of the OP have made trying to find resources beyond the wiki pretty difficult.

So, are there youtube channels or text/screenshot guides to concepts, timing, and the like to help a newer player? I watched a thing on braiding that seems very cool and useful and was trying to find similar stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Do people just wait forever for that final Rocket research? I have 10 labs and I understand it's basically the end of the game right now, but drat. I'm using the time to set up the stuff I'll need so it's not just twiddling my thumbs, do people usually make more than 10 labs?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
That article is crazy cause I figured anyone with 15+ hours who was interested in it would've fired a rocket. I'm not downplaying the work involved, but I restarted twice then did the whole thing pretty cleanly. Are there really people that have put a whole mess of time and still haven't fired a rocket?

e: I should make clear, I'm talking more about the author, obviously the dude with 10+ launchpads and 500 hours has launched a rocket.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, I guess I'm in the minority. Apart from "I was looking into what this game is and saw a good furnace column setup" and what a roboport is, I didn't really look anything up, launched a rocket around hour 20-25 total. I get not launching one because you're disinterested, though. I reset because my green science production was measly, then because my stuff was everywhere and so doing a rocket would've been miserable, then I launched a rocket. Different strokes I guess.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Are there any fanmade campaigns that are good? I looked around last night and could only find tower defense levels which aren't necessarily what I'n looking for right now?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There's a mod for tree farms. They produce pretty quickly and I think they look pretty good, but it would also be nice to be able to plant trees wherever too, yeah.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I know this is a little off topic, but are the capitalism games good?

More on-topic: I'm at 109 crafts because I've made a couple of assembly 2's without thinking. I'm getting ready to setup processing units though so I'm getting close.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Last night I set up the rocket parts in my lazy bastard game, I thought about just going to sleep with it running. The ultimate Lazy Bastard, but I decided against it just in case. I only bothered to set up 5 assemblers for each because I just want to have it set up and let it run though and it got me thinking about 1 rocket/minute. For anyone who's done it, how many furnaces did you need because it feels like that's a massive number of iron/copper plates?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Avocados posted:

This game was kinda dumb and boring until I set up my first steam engine powered grid and I no longer have to slave over coal.

Something felt really good about that. This going to eat a whole bunch of my hours this week.

Someone posted about it before but far and away the best feeling in the game is getting something that was a PITA sorted out and automated so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I'm a hair under 3 hours into my "win under 8 hours" run and I've set up blue science. I was wondering if people thought robots were really worth it? The last real hurdles are setting up enough copper for chips and getting alien artifacts for the research, neither really benefits from robots that much so I don't know it's all that important.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

I've discovered it's a lot easier to build mass amounts of efficiency modules than solar panels

What am I missing here? Are they actually worth it once you're building a megafactory? Feels like factory space and distance betwen things is more important than a solar farm being 1/5 the size.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
One pipe. I just join the pumpjack outputs for each in a cluster with pipe, the run it to my storage tanks right next to the refineries normally. But if two fields are close I'll combine them before running them back to the base.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
You either cut in a new supply of iron ore 1/2 way down on either side, upgrade to blue belts, halve the size of the column, or swap to electric smelters. The best solution is to upgrade to electric and blue belt, but those are both the biggest hassle.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The real secret is that you gotta make a lot of bad factories so you have a good toolkit to work with to solve problems in your good factory. I like to force dumbass restrictions on myself when I'm working on stuff just cause I feel like it.
"I don't feel like setting up a second furnace column till after I get blue science setup, make it work."
"I really want the output to go here cause I like the way it looks, better redesign the whole thing three times to fit."
Restriction really does breed creativity and with wide concepts of what works, Factorio is more fun.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Solumin posted:

Can anyone explain infinite resources and RSO to me? I don't need them yet, but infinite resources would be really helpful later (way later) in the game. Are they enabled by default? Do I need a mod?

If the map is infinite size (you didn't enter a max size at creation) then there's infinite resources on the map, but the clusters of each resource will get larger and more rich as you get further away from your starting location. This used to not really be the case, so people had to use the RSO mod (Resource Spawner Overhaul) to do this. Now that it is in the game, I assume RSO either doesn't do anything or tweaks the numbers, but I haven't bothered to look.

I'll admit that once you have things set up Solar is way better, but it does take a huge amount of room and for new players the stuff that goes into solar is going to be such a PITA to set up. Accums using batteries is a big deal because new players think they can get away with 1-3 battery chemical plants. I like where solar is right now, but I don't blame people for saying it's too powerful. I don't really know what they'd nerf about it, reducing the numbers is not really a solution because I don't think it really changes things.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

LonsomeSon posted:

I mean, one of the oldest and most well-known SA game entities is loving GoonFleet, so while I like your attitude it's definitely not universal here.

That's not fair, EVE is a different beast altogether.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Patreon generally goes to people who create something (of course I'm sure there are people paying to support making wet fart noises or w/e). I know people are dumb and pay for garbage but learn so much? What? You have the game, play it, engage your mind, try things. Youtube videos teach you things, they are specifically recorded to do so. Twitch is mostly some guy talking crap, playing badly and thanking people for putting cash in his jar.

Thanks grandpa. I'll be sure to tell that to everyone at the gender meeting while we hand out participation trophies.

I don't watch factorio on twitch but it's not hard to see why checking in on a stream while you read or play something or do housework or whatever. Plus you can ask in real-time how you do that cool thing with different types of underground belt.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
In Bobs greenhouse, the recipe for saplings produces 1.5 of them per raw wood. Dos it just alternate between giving one and giving two? Also, is there anything else I should know when starting a Bobs mod game for the first time?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm pretty sure they only pull from the finished product, unlike inserters pulling from boiler to boiler.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The solution I find works best for any bot-rekated problem is to automate roboport production and triple the number of them you have out. Failing that, more research works well.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is there a mod for stronger radars? I have one I guess I downloaded during .12 that doesn't woek anymore and I can't find a replacement. I don't care whether it make the base radar stronger or just creates a Big Radar structure.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
What's the structure above the assembler making copper wire? I don't recognize it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
How do folks lay out their late-game mining setups? I've seen people use beacons but that always leaves some unmined. Right now I'm just slapping speed modules in miners and having them output into chests, then bots take them to chests to be loaded into the train. It's quick to setup and scale, but I can't shake the feeling there's a better way.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Currently 225 trains, run at around 10 UPS/FPS. It's brutal but traaaaaaaains. I launch a rocket about every 2.5 minutes. Using 4.4GW of power generated by 108k solar panels and 91k accumulators.

Speaking of, does anyone have pictures of their mega factories? I'm working towards 1 rocket/minute and while I know about calculators, it clicks better for me if I can see it.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
You can get (most or) all of them with a modded game. There are some you cannot get on peaceful though, notably the speedrun ones.

source: I play modded and have almost all the peaceful ones.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Because I'm lazy I always just setup a pump to the heavy>light cracking chemical plants and red wire it to one of the heavy oil storage tanks, the condition is: heavy oil > 1,000

This means you'll crack all light oil till petrol gas is full and crack heavy oil over 1k to light. Quick and easy and it'll only stop when petrol gas is full which would mean my factory is idle.

e: vv you must be running a wild factory if you can't make lube with 1,000 heavy oil per storage tank?

Chakan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 18, 2016

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Ok, I'm coming back to my save working towards 1rpm. How many furnaces do you have if you're able to do it? I'm able to do speed 3 beacons and productivity 3 in the furnaces, but when I did the napkin math it came to multiple thousands which sounds like I messed up. I was going to start with 100 copper and iron furnaces and see where I'm lacking after that, but then I got caught up in something else the last time I was able to play. :factorio:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

seravid posted:

Assuming prod mods everywhere and one row of speed beacons per row of smelters (+170% speed), you'll need around 700 smelters (450 iron, 250 copper).

Easy peasy, I'll report back with pictures once I can!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Truga posted:

It balances lanes a bit, which isn't terrible I guess. But yes, it's inefficient and there's not even space for beacons? I'm the last person to use beacons (modules are crazy expensive, plopping down an extra 3000 furnaces costs about the same amount of materials and effort with blueprints and the new placing blueprints straight from the map), but if you're going to make a convoluted design like that at least make space for the beacons :v:

Counterpoint: 3000 furnaces are worse with bots. 350 furnaces with beacons and modules are a lot easier on space which allows bots to be more efficient. Efficient is good (only) in the late game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Blue belts only move so fast and at some point you setup everything to be bots because you're going for a more modular and scalable factory.

requester chest> inserter> assembly3/furnace> inserter> passive provider chest

e: I have transcended the concept of a bus, I go from awful spaghetti with yellow belt bus to a clean, perfect factory.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 27, 2017

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I have been dilly dallying and consumed most of my starting iron without getting very far. I need to setup some trains. Is it ideal to move raw ore from the next iron deposit, or god forbid setup smelters and ship plates?

It's a 1:1 ore to plate ratio so whichever is easier. There's an argument that smelting plates is better so you can move plates to another stop, like if you wanted to make electronic circuits at the copper deposit, but most people aren't gonna do that.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
it's a lot less hassle to set one storehouse or warehouse than dealing with all the individual containers.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I've always understood it as "you're better off with 10 speed and 20% productivity than 15 speed and 0 productivity." Or whatever the real numbers are. Plus, in practice, you'll never have infinite ore because you can easily double your smelting, then again and again but your ore patches run dry eventually even if they're 20-million ore monsters.

e: beaten

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Mercrom posted:

The only resource that matters is time. Speed modules don't actually save time in most cases, but productivity modules do since you have to expand raw resource production and train logistics less.

Thanks, this was exactly the response I was going to give.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I got to the point last night where I have research set up in my old base and I'm clearing out for a new base, it's very exciting, doubly so because I normally peter out just before flipping the switch on 1 rpm but now I'll have a reason to do that apart from "because it'll be cool."

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm telling y'all, bot based factories are better in the long run. No muss no fussing with belts & much easier to scale up.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

Does anyone know why infinite galena (Angels infinite ore) doesn't give nickle ore? It only gives lead ore. Normal galena gives both.

A google search gives just one hit that says it was a bug in 0.12.something, but should have been fixed

IIRC, infinite ores works as a percentage chance to get ore every time the miner produces. It might be that the same roll is used for "does it produce ore?" and "which ore does it produce?"

I could easily be way off, just an idea to look into.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Re: the question about determining if a given train has anything in it.

Can't you have an inserter take from the train into a box, then read whether the box has contents? It can trip a switch to initiate whatever you want to happen in the result of a train with cargo, including clearing out the box so it resets. Or does that not work for your problem?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Angels + Bobs: I've got furnace colums set up, but I want to know what I can do with slag, and what I should do with all the stone? Right now I'm making stone bricks and just storing the slag, but I'm sure it has some use down the line, right?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Oil products are used in batteries as well. The sulfur chain has a fair few uses including processing units which require scale to build in any reasonable number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Early I use electric furnaces for products where a small number of plates are required, but the product isn't final. Namely I use it for batteries and (sulpher? is that what requires iron plates?) which makes stuff smoother as I usually setup my oil near the initial belts for copper/iron.