Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Oil jacks or fluid storage technology pumps?

If oil jacks, pumping out of ground, it depends on how old the source is, as they produce less and less. Storage tank for crude and single refinery is enough for me, just don't waste any on solid fuel. Lube with heavy until you have a storage tank, then crack the rest to light. Light can be cracked straight to petroleum. Petroleum should be made into sulfur/batteries/explosives and plastic. Use storage tanks for petroleum.

For pump pumps, both ends of long pipelines or single near refinery. Or both. It helps against clogged and stagnant pipes, and I think it only connects forward and behind, not to the sides. Can someone check please? Could be used as in tight builds in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Shintaro posted:

Just made another quickie mod: Terminal Chests

Curious what you guys think of it, balance-wise.

What does it do?

Picture is miscoloured smart chests being unloaded by fast inserters... Which we already have.

If it is chests that is essentially a player holding F, I want those when I get back to my pc.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Sunblood posted:

This is the full image
I assume the two chests on the right are sucking up the iron plates on the conveyor belt.

Oh. Sorry about that. Ipad posting and didn't see the whole picture. How many fast inserters do you need to keep up with a blue belt? Can you make copies that also work as active providers, so you can get your roboarmy to empty without extra inserters and chests?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

I'd sooner jsut edit my starting location and/or drop additional resources at the spawn. Next time I'm going for enitrely no-help approach. The only thing that ever really bothers me is dealing with biters and etc. I'd be tempted to do another peaceful thing but oh god you really gotta go get alien artifacts early on to get some of hte better/basic combat techs. Big biters without Power Armor or destroyers oh god.

I'd actually love a mod to let me manufacture the alien artifacts instead of requiring me to harvest them from biter spawners. I will only accept war when it can be automated. I'm fine-ish leading the troops, but preferably I'd rather drop a beacon/or have a soldier-port type thing to deal with.

Like I mentioned earlier, i just want to load up a cargo train with automated robots to go out and laywaste to nature.

(If I could force them to only drive AWAY from my structures, I'dlet them have cars.)

What would you say is a fair recipe for alien artifacts then? Material costs and time taken?

Adding the recipe is pretty easy, but what people think is fair is a lot harder.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Someone please make that mod. Way way beyond my capabilities.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

For those that want craftable alien artifacts, I made a quick mod here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRhV-nRtwx0b0ZpZFJTUTJackk/edit?usp=sharing

I picked things you don't really automate, adding difficulty that way. To be fair, everything is pretty much infinite anyway, so it's just a waste of time to require thousands of things.

So, to make one alien artifact, you need:

2 diesel locomotives
2 express transport tunnel entrances
2 speed module 2
50 iron sticks

The idea is, you put the diesel locomotives on sticks, propel them against eachother into the tunnel, using speed modules to make them faster. After this, you will end up with lot's of pieces, which some might call artifacts. And you have no idea what they are, so they must be alien, right?

Makes sense, yeah?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Goddamn, why don't mods want to work for me?

What happens? Are you putting them the right place? Which mod is it? Error message?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

seravid posted:

I've completed the campaign and started a sandbox game to mess around. I'm 20 hours in and getting the hang of it, but I do have a few questions:

- Tier 4 research (purple) requires a hell of a lot of alien artifacts, is there any way to automate nest extermination (and artifact vacuuming) ? Gathering the hundreds of orbs necessary manually will take ages.

- Speaking of nest extermination, my armor is much better at killing bugs than my weapons. What?

- Oil production and consumption is pretty weird. I ran out of it near my base, so I figured I'd build a major, self-sufficient outpost in a strategic position, set up a barrel factory, transport every drop of oil in the area, pack it and send it to the main base's refinery complex. Brilliant, except the 10 drills I have right now can only support one, single, solitary barrel assembler; my train runs therefore mostly empty, but the worst part is that even this pathetic output is way more oil than I need. One minute everything's awesome, the next all my storage tanks are full, even with 5 refineries burning 24/7.

Your armor probably have laser turrets in it, and while the medium and big biters are resistant to explosives and gunfire, they have zero resistance to lasers.

Is one of your outputs clogged? Phone posting is broken.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What I wanted to say, but couldn't because of my phone doubling everything I typed...

If one of your oil refinery outputs are full, the refinery will stop working. So check on that. And filling oil barrels is fast and takes 25 oil, so you only really need a single filler.

It is more effective to run it through pipes though, use underground to help prevent car related accidents. They go pretty far.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Does anyone have problems where Water pumps seemingly at random decide to stop working? Twice now i just noticed that all my steam engines have stopped and i am forced to rebuild the pumps.

How many pumps do you use within the same pipe network?

After a certain amount, more pumps won't help. No idea what the limits are.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

It is.
I added a recipe crafting sulfur to rubber, because screw manual labour in a game about factories. And you will need a lot of it.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

Can anyone recommend some youtube tutorials or something? I'm really liking this game, but hot drat if it's not tricky to learn. When I finally automated green beakers I felt like a genius.

This dude was alright to watch, someone else mentioned him earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWD7yMEuxKeFAinXB-Zkgdnf

Beside that, play on peaceful and try to do things your own way. The mess of a factory you end up with is hugely satisfying, especially when you look back at it later as you get better, and realize how many dumb things you did.

A recommendation however is to go with the main bus idea. Have a HUGE area of land ahead, bring in ore in the middle then branch it out, copper one side, iron the other. Make smelters along this axis, and bring the smelted products back towards the middle, turning it away from where the ore comes in. This is your main bus, like the trunk on a tree, with the ore + smelter setup as the roots. Use splitters and tunnels to branch out the materials you need, and bring the product back to the main trunk (on it's own belt) if it is something you will use a lot of. Electronic circuits and gears are good examples. Over time, the tree will be huge, lot's of long branches. If you want to think ahead, have one or two free spaces between each belt going up the trunk, in case you need more materials going up.

But again, I prefer to play on peaceful, but I prefer the factory building aspect of the game, not the combat aspect. Opinions will vary.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Fans posted:

This game owns bones, tried the demo then got the full thing yesterday and been having fun making factories so convoluted and ugly that I dare not link them for fear of what it'll do to people.

It'd probably help if I had a building strategy, rather than just appending whatever I feel I need onto what's currently going until there's a mess of inserters, tunnel, conveyer belt loops and crates everywhere. It's fun to watch it when it all works though, even if it doesn't work very well.

Keep the save game and return to it when you have more experience, so you can look at the abominations you started out with.

I have started rushing logistic robots lately, then use them for everything. Even ore to furnace, then product to where needed. Got a nice blueprint with 8 furnaces, requesterchest, provider chest and two seperate requesters, one requesting iron and the other copper ores. Either shift click or right click what I want the furnaces to process, then click all the requesters (use the copy thing in other words). That way I have a single design for both ores instead of using two blueprints or having to mess with requester chests.
I should mention that I have the dytech robots, which are insanely fast, and just under 8000 logistic robots, and a few hundred construction robots. 3000 robots do all the work, I always have 5000 idle sitting around.

Edit^^^^: You use a lot if you have self replicating/autocrafted and inserted robots. And if you make a ton of blue circuits for no real reason... Power armor with gear, advanced equipment adds some very expensive upgrades.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 28, 2014

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Krataar posted:

How do I store that much? I'd love to just have an endless oil refinery with pipelines running across the map if I could to transport the oil. Should we setup goonman lists for people who want to play together?

I would join a Steam group or something. EU dude here, no idea how multiplayer across the Atlantic works.

Is the belt stoppers mod goon made? If so, they should have more hp... At least the same as a belt, so they can eat a grenade without breaking and ruining my production lines. Because it is their fault for not surviving the grenade, not my fault for throwing it.

For storing, active provider chests and many many storage chests is one solution. Chaining passive providers with inserters is possible. For storing oil, put it in barrels. You can store a huge amount of oil in barrels and chests in the same area as a tank, much much more. Steel cost is neglible when you get this far.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 28, 2014

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

C'mon one of you nerds play with me

We tried, 0.11.1 didn't work, but 0.11.3 did.

But since Elendil is a US goon, and I'm in Norway, latency killed us. Sort of sucks you have to guess at latency, but that is what alpha is for. It sort of worked though, until we got a third player in, also US goon.

I need some EU goons to play this with.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Fans posted:

Nope, good spot! I'll have to remove that when I turn it back on, right now I got way too many conveyer pieces so I've turned it off for a bit.

Tonight I might finally get to play with the Trains. I hear they're deadly.

Use a long handed inserter. They can pick up and insert anywhere on a factory, or anything really.

For trains, set your autosave to 1 minute while you are working on it if you have trains running at the same time.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

quote:

Balancing
Assembling machine 3 has up to 6 ingredient slots, so it can make any recipe in its category.

Finally the thread title is true, you can now automate everything! Up until now, you had to craft refineries yourself due to using 5 ingredients. Not any more!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Nick Esasky posted:

so, couple of really dumb questions here:

1)is there any charts somewhere demonstrating, say, how many stone furnaces a single coal/iron/copper mine can support at once?

2) Any particular way to get an inserter to alternate which items it pulls out of a single chest so i can have my red science line consistently running properly?

1 burner miner to 1 normal furnace.

1 electric miner to 2 normal furnace.

2 burner miner to 1 steel or electric furnace.

1 electric miner to 1 steel or electric furnace.

Then I think it's one to one on iron to steel, but I'm not 100% sure.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Shintaro posted:

If you want to get :spergin:

Time to mine:

Stone: burner 2.72 s, electric 1.90 s
Metal: burner 3.57 s, electric 1.54 s

Time to smelt:
Stone furnace 3.5 s, steel/electric 1.75 s

These numbers, while rounded, are still way more precise than ever likely to matter, given limited space and inserter speed.

Steel takes 5 times as long to make than iron, so as long as you're using the same furnace type it's 1-to-1. If for some weird reason you're mixing stone with others, it'd be 2 stone to 1 other, whichever way.

I like :spergin:

Why do stone go from faster on the burner drill to slower on the electric?

With the numbers not quite rounded, that only matters if you are running hundreds of furnaces, right? If it's stone, you will get a stone or two at the end of a belt, for metals, the last furnace might be out of work for a second. Unless you flood the place with way to much ore, and way to many furnaces, and spend thousands of ores per second. Which you will once you grow a big enough factory!

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Fajita Fiesta posted:

I think I overused drones. I had a template that was just an electric miner mining into a provider chest thing , and then another template that was requester chests and electric furnaces. I have 3000 logistics drones fully maxed out on research and theyre' still not coping with the crap I want to do :(

guess I have to use belts

No, you just need more factories making drones.

Requester chest with inserter into roboport, and they are self replicating.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

It fits perfectly, engines and powerpoles and such, so much so that I would not be surprised if that design was intended.

Edit: Fun fact: While low on oil, I ordered some 700 bots to clear a whole continent of trees to try to buy some power. Blue belt couldn't feed wood into it fast enough to get halfway down the line, when this engine was half its size.

If I wasn't so goddamn lazy I could probably save a lot of power by making more solid fuel plants, right now I have 10 cracked out on speed modules. (effective 25)

Wouldn't it be more effective to run actually 25 instead of 10 @ 25 speed? Thinking power consumption.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Kin posted:

I just got this and have started working my way through the tutotials. I just finished the intro to electricity one but i couldn't get a self sufficient setup running.

I had the steam engine powering the coal miner and then changed the initial setup a bit to have inserters pointing to each of the boilers and rerouted the conveyor belt from the electric miner to them. My logic being that the steam generator powered the miner and the inserters which keep feeding the boilers with coal to produce the electricity. The thing is, the inserters refused to put coal in the boiler.

I tried various positions and am pretty sure that i got it right, it just refused to insert things into the boiler.

Am i missing something?

On your first line, use a single burner inserter at the end of the line to secure operation if the coal runs out. With just electrical, you have to go insert coal yourself into a few boilers, but with a burner inserter, it will get it started for you with a trickle of power. You really just need one or two burners on the first generator line, not for every one. You can get the same effect with a solar panel, accumulator and a single electrical pole covering just the inserters, not connected to the rest of the power grid. I think it's shift click on a pole to remove all wires, then drag new using the copper wire item and clicking between lines you want to connect. A pole without wire will only hook up the things in it's area of influence.

What I am saying, is in my experience, having a automatic fail safe/restart if fuel stops on your boilers is a good idea.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

Any idea what's going on here? Not getting any attack warnings, and nothing is traveling over any uncovered space.

Somewhere in your system, robots are taking a shortcut that brings them out of range of your roboports, thus removing them from your logistics network until they get back into range.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Haven't played since multiplayer was released, so I'm very outdated on mods and such.

Any recommendations? Maybe someone can make a list of essential mods, as well as quality of life ones. Please?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

What is new in 0.12 that makes it worth waiting for?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Just have your factory mass produce chemical weapons and fling them from your speeding tank.

Fixed that for you.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

FYI, when doing orders, if you select an existing station in your orders, and then add a new station, it will go after your selected station, not at the end. No way that I know of to put a new station at the front though.

Put it at the end and skip until it starts there. Effectively the same.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Megapost about trains, yes please.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of artillery, is it possible to get logistibots to pick up items lying on the ground, or will I have to manually trek out to each smoking crater to loot it?

Bit late reply and maybe answered, but you can use the deconstruction blueprint to get your robot army to pick up things on the ground. If you have a personal roboport (which you should if you roam in a tank), they will pick it up for you. You can flag it from far away, as far as you can zoom, then roam past in a car or tank. The bots will catch up eventually if you stop for a bit.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

You can also use Speed Modules and those AoE Module Buildings (name I can't remember) to get more oil from dried up wells. It will eat the poo poo out of your power supply, but it'll help.

Put it all on separate solar panels, and it will only run during the night, but be free. The beacons that is.

Be "free" as in, the boost will only be active during the day, when I assume you have thousands of solar panels to run your stuff.

Also, production module before the oil well dries up, speed module once it's empty.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

e: One thing that vexes me greatly: I have a method to empty a train car in 3 seconds, but you can't drop the timer lower than 5. That's two seconds per load WASTED!

Pictures please? I struggle with emptying trains onto belts fast enough.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

This is that I'm unable to empty from the chests and to the belt fast enough as well.

Sorted it out with my 4300 logistic robots and a bunch of requester chests emptying out onto the belt.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

T-man posted:

Why would they? To annoy the line workers by forcing them to hear CLUNK CLUNK on a machine that, at most, makes a soft clik noise? It'd make much more sense to add it in post, at the same time they added the music.

Plus, I didn't even see any killer robots fighting space aliens so 3/10.

Killer robots are outside of course. Do you wait to fight aliens until they are inside your walls, or do you use walls to keep them out?

Any news on when next update is coming?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

Ctrl+Click while holding the item. Also works for putting ore/stone into furnaces or items into assemblers that take that item as a component.

And Ctrl + right click to put in half of what you have in your hand.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

I've noticed that if I order stuff deconstructed, I'm then allowed to drop a blueprint over it. Is there a mod that makes it so that stuff is autoflagged for deconstruct whenever I drop a blueprint on it? It'd be handy for dumb stuff like "replace this belt segment with a side-balancer".

That sounds like one misclick away from disaster.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Watching this right now, second episode. This is good and pretty crazy. Thank you for the link.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

widespread posted:

Point taken. Here's my setup now:

And how should I get the Iron Bars to this area, assuming answer isn't Train or Belts.

Belt them from your main smelting facility?

Your other options is manually filling pretty often, logistic bots, smelting on site or make a long line of inserters.

Why can't you use belts?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Roflex posted:

While on the topic of layouts, here's my current science setup:

And I've settled on this design for electric smelting:

Assuming your trains can provide enough input, you can keep adding belts above and below every 20 furnaces to extend the bus indefinitely (I didn't leave enough room for this here). Right now if my demand is high enough the inputs start to choke around the 15th smelter in each line (blue belts won't help yet, right now it's an issue of moving the ore out of my train chests fast enough). Here's my train depot:

At this point I think the solution might just be more stations (2 or 3 for each of iron/copper) or spacing them apart more and having the inserter/chest setup on each side.

Can we please have some more pictures of your base? Maybe even a save game?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

You should build another 10-30 Science Labs :science:

Double post, but I just want to mention that a sort-of-recent update changed how science packs work.

Before, any science labs researching when a tech finished wasted all progress, costing you a lot of spare science packs if you had a lot of labs. After the update, science packs are used up over time, and any unused will be spent on the next technology instead of thrown away.

Before, lot's of labs meant you researched faster, but also threw away a lot of packs. Now, having lots of labs does not waste packs at all, and help you research faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011

DelphiAegis posted:

I'm assuming due to speed, since 1-4 would run super slow otherwise.

I'm really waiting on the new patch with the auto-placement of rail lines before I play again. I want to play with trains, but the game never makes it worthwhile unless you really love trains. And you CAN get them before bots, but the infrastructure to do blueprints via personal roboport almost ensures you're outpacing what trains do.. Ugh. I overthink this game way too much.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13553