Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bettik posted:

I actually don't understand the use of the faster belts - having things travel faster doesn't increase throughput at all, would it? It'd just reduce travel time, which is essentially useless once your system's humming along at full production speed.

Anyone care to explain the value of them to me?

It will increase throughput if you have crapton of stuff going on the same line, 10-ish smelters will completely empty the ore conveyor that was filled without any free space, if you want to add more mines/smelters to same line you'll want a faster belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
What are good uses for light and heavy oil before cracking tech is open? I found that I need a crapload of gas for batteries and plastics to get blue vials but no real use for the other oil fractions(fuel blocks? but I got plenty of coal for fuel).

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

I wonder what a good Factorio playlist would be. Music similar to what is in the trailer.

Anno 2070 tycoons soundtrack, nothing alike the trailer but thematically appropriate

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Can anyone explain the relation between Watts and Joules in this game? I'm playing with Dytech Energy which means I need to think about which accumulators I want to use. There are accumulators that charge at 500kW, discharge at 500kW, and have a capacity of 150MJ. Based on my last nights power usage, I'm guessing that 150MJ is far more power than can be discharged in a single night at 500kW. I had my accumulators going at full blast and I only lost about 25% power over the course of the night (had tertiary steam engines providing power so I know my accumulators were at max). Wondering if one of the lesser accumulators would work just as well for my case, but I can't really figure that out until I know how long it takes a kW to make a MJ.

1 MJ is a 1000 kW* 1 second; real time, not gametime so there is 416 seconds in one day-night cycle. Your 150 MJ will give out 500kW for 300 seconds, more than twilight and night last together.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 8, 2014

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Fans posted:

Tonight I might finally get to play with the Trains. I hear they're deadly.
Just don't cross the tracks until you get power armor with 4 energy shields.
They're pretty much a necessity though, there is never enough iron ore and oil.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Hey wait a minute, don't train oil! While it's nice for a logistics puzzle, barreling/training/emptying/refilling barrels is hugely less efficient than making a long pipeline.

Making the traintrack alone will triple (or more) your Iron cost for base connection, let alone the sets of inserters, barrel costs, engines etc. Plus, the pipeline has virtually no limit on bandwidth (like 120/sec, which is like 80 healthy pumpjacks) and nearly-instant transport.

I would like barrelling to be the way to go since it is a nice puzzle to solve, but currently, don't train oil.

Maybe it's not worth it if it's just train track for oil pickup exclusively, but I already have minerals collected by train, why would I not train oil from sources nearby the stations or next to existing track?
Pipelines are an annoyance to build and walk around, and when oil is depleted you can't just pick them up and place somewhere else. And barelling/emptying solution isn't much of a puzzle - 2 chests, one assembler, one smart inserter(to not unload empty/full barrels as you load them) and 3 regular inserters. Besides, steel chest of full oil barrels is the most compact oils storage, not those huge oil tanks.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 2, 2014

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Why store oil at all? The pumpjacks helpfully turn off when the line is full, and just one or two long lines give thousands of storage
Why pick up dead oil pumps? They drop to 0.1/sec, meaning that *eventually* you can live off just dead pumps
And the pipe is super easy to lay and an order of magnitude cheaper than trains unless there is literally a train right there at *every single* pump site. That list of things you said? A long pipe's list is "A long pipe" and only one step harder than running the powerline out there (which you have to do anyway).
Also, when training in oil, you end up with the refineries next to your mineral input or a long belt somewhere (and back) for the barrels, with the pipes your refinery complex can be anywhere in your factory to make piping petro/fuel easier.

+Bandwidth is unlimited and constant, built-in storage is immense, you never have to wait for the train to come in. No need to fuel a train or run turnback loops. Flexibility of refinery placement.
-You can't ride a train out to the site for maintenance, you might someday run over the pipe in your tank.

In my book, "don't train oil" is pretty much the same as "don't put two colors of science on the same side of a belt". You can if you want, but it'll either be a pain, or just more annoying than the simple solution.

:psyduck: What?
Why would I put refineries where oil is mined? Refineries always stay at home base and never move, load oil to barrels where it's mined, unload oil from barrels into pipes and storage tanks at home base to refine. Don't transport barrels on the belt, they're only in the train or at train stations chests.

You complained about iron spending for rail and advocate running tons of pumpjacks on 10% wells in next sentence.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 2, 2014

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Fans posted:

Well since no one seems keen to rave about mods I found one that you may all want.

Tree Collision Box
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12365

Why? It lets you run through forests without bumping into a tree every five cocking seconds.

Running through forest? Are you some kind of a hippy tree-hugger? Just make it get out of your way, with grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

Pictures please? I struggle with emptying trains onto belts fast enough.

Empty them into chests first, then from chests to belt, it takes advantage of inserter stack size tech and doesn't need to wait for empty space on a belt. And since you can have up to 14 IIRC inserters working on a train car it'll get done pretty fast.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 16, 2015