Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

Aaand finally, I keep getting burned by trying to use belt lanes for separate things. Splitters can't actually unzip them reliably from what I can tell (when one lane runs out they'll just divide up the remaining ones). A bunch of green grabby-arms can do it but poo poo can still get backed up and starve the supply for something. Am I correct in thinking its best to limit these to last mile distribution to fast assemblers only (which can't use red arms without loosing a lot of throughput) and keep everything else in dedicated belts if possible?

Stolen from http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3920 which has a whole bunch of really well done animated GIFs with different belt tricks/behaviors.

E: You don't actually need the tile between the splitter and underground belts, I'm guessing the author left it in to make it more obvious what is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

Yeah coal feed issues can be brutal. A few emergency chests are probably a good idea.

I finally ended up putting my coal on its own electric network so it wouldn't be affected by brown outs (yeah yeah I should just fix my main network but I overbuilt like crazy).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Alright, here's a screenshot, since I suck at describing. I've got my coal mine, and it comes into two belts, but they're usually not equal, and I want to balance them to load the chests that will load the train.

Both bottom belts will have the same resource, but at different rates, will this work to balance them so they're the same rate on each top belt?

It will balance total throughput but not the sides of the belt. (If both output belts are blocked on one side, both input belts will also be blocked on that side.) Add in the following on each input belt before the splitter you have shown to balance the sides of the belt:

E: Rephrasing.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 6, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

They need a discard item box. Like how Starbound or Terraria does it.

Haven't tried yet but supposedly you can put stuff in a wooden chest then blow it up. But yeah it would be nice to be able to just highlight an item and hit the delete key or drag it to a trash can icon.

E: \/ \/ \/ Yeah, a deconstructor would be great, put in 2 of an item, get back the components for 1 of them maybe?

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 6, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I made a 20MW power station:

The area with the wood is for the 'use accumulators before steam power' trick, and there are actually two separate electrical networks there. The top right/left are connected to the main power network, and the center/bottom is its own always on network (so the inserters will work even if the main network loses all power). Right/left halves of the main network are joined one tile above and 5 tiles right of wood box. The inserter below the wood box is on the main network, the inserter to the right is on the always-on network.

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

E: Better picture.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 9, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I just finished something similar.

first wing has 60 steam engines, expandable to 160.

So far I have been running 14 boilers into a tank, then tank into a straight line of 10 engines.

Is that any better or worse than other configs?

As long as you have one pump dedicated to each 14/10 group, you don't need the tank.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Hmm that might work. Now that I think about it, the sensor might be oversensitive and is going to be sending a red wire signal so even when the sensor accumulator hasn't run down and shut off the isolated inserter.

In my setup, I turned the inserter putting stuff back in the box to the side, filled up the belt, removed all remaining wood in the box, and set the power plant on condition to zero in the chest. Both inserters are fast, so if the main network is running below power, the main network inserter will slow, and eventually the separate network inserter will outstrip the main network one, and cause the extra power to kick on (if you wanted some always on steam but with more steam power in reserve).

E: I r gud at reading comprehension. I never understood how the accumulator trick worked either, it seems like it would feed both networks if it was being charged by the main. In my setup, I had two entirely separate power networks, the outside one being overpowered so it would always run at full speed.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 14, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

khy posted:

The tech tree is large and confusing. If it was laid out in a somewhat more friendly manner, such as lines going from research to research, it would be significantly easier to navigate and browse.

http://davemcw.com/factorio/tech-tree/

You can click on technologies or items, and it will show you all prereqs for it.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 14, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Gun turrets seemed to only be able to track moving things- as soon as the bugs stopped to chew on walls, the turrets turned off. Laser turrets never had the trouble, and if you had enough guns to splatter anything that showed up you'd never see it.

Oh wow, I thought they had put some sort of minimum range into the turrets. My fix was...more turrets.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sam. posted:

What else do you do with light oil before you have the tech that lets you convert it to petroleum?

Lots and lots of tanks.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Neruz posted:

Player crafts at 1x speed, Assembler 1 crafts at 0.5x speed, Assembler 2 goes at 0.75x speed and Assembler 3 goes at 1.5x speed.

The jump from 1 to 2 isn't huge and is mostly for the extra item you can stuff in there, the jump from 2 to 3 is very significant though with 3's being twice as fast as 2's and three times as fast as 1's.

AM3 is 1.25x as of most current update, but it is still a huge jump over AM2's 0.75x.

By the way, if you're looking for accurate data and the wiki still hasn't been updated (haven't checked in a few weeks because I got tired of getting bad info), I've been using Notepad++ and doing a Find in Files search (Ctrl-Shift-F) across all of C:\Program Files\Factorio\data\base\prototypes\. Pretty much every entity in the game follows the naming convention word-word-word (all lower case, replace spaces with hyphens). From there, the values are pretty self explanatory.

gives

:spergin::spergin::spergin:Gentlemen, start your spergines.:spergin::spergin::spergin:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 3, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

10.0 is fine
10.1 has some small bugs (turrets only fire at moving targets, etc)
10.2 has no bugs I know of except that it will eat your saves, but this can be worked around (load any mod, load your save to fix it)

Each version has a bunch of new features. I'd recommend 10.2 personally.

Somebody a couple pages back was complaining about 100mb+ save files, looks like 10.2 fixes that. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4593

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I was pretty proud of myself when I managed to take out an early game 3 big worm base with a handful of gun turrets (not all of them survived).