Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
What's the best way to deal with biter attack if you don't yet know where the attacks will come from? If you build a perimeter wall some distance from your factory structures with openings at intervals, will they follow it to the opening, or just gnaw their way through the wall as soon as they encounter it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Can you stamp down a blueprint right from the start of the game or do you need to research something first?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I've realized from playing Factorio that what I really want is a game about building a rail network through an infinite uninhabited wasteland, and populating it with bug-crushing war trains, and the occasional automated, self-sufficient easy-to-setup depot for repair and resupply.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

peepsalot posted:

I just discovered this game the other day and finally finished level 2(the one with the train). I never really actually got the train running, just ended up bussing in ore in the trunk of my car. At some point it seemed to just randomly check off the goal that the train station was running, or whatever the wording was. Anyways the whole level took me like 7h45m and i just wanted to say that i'm really bad at video games.

The objective seems to update when you research the technology for laying down rails and poo poo, so it's not actually required to every mess with trains.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr. Powers posted:

My favorite "no achievements with mods" is Cities: skylines, where very quickly after launch a mod was available that enabled achievements with mods.

For a while that was the only mod I played the game with

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
For multiple trains, you ideally need a parallel set of tracks (one for each direction of travel) forming a main line going to everywhere you need trains to go, with stations branching off it such that trains from either track on the main line always enter the station from the same direction, and can't end up going down the wrong track on the main line after leaving the station.

You then use signals on the main line and at stations to split the railway into sections/blocks of rail. Signals work by turning red if there is a train on any of the railway ahead of it before another signal is reached. (There is also a variant signal that blocks trains if the next signal after it that the train needs to pass is red. This is useful at for example junctions to prevent a train from entering the junction if the signal at the exit is red. This way the train doesn't block the whole junction while it waits, just the entrance it is using).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Wasn't there an intent for rockets to lead to you expanding into space by constructing facilities in orbit?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Don't you want coal on the bus for your explosives/grenade production anyway? Or do you just set up a train stop right next to that area by the time you get ready to set it up?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Somewhere in there, development of Factorio will get automated as well

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Bonfire Lit posted:

You don't even have to use the underground entrance:

I still don't quite get how this works the way it does. What makes sure that only one of the two items end up on each outgoing belt?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I feel like there should be some kind of Marie Curie reference but I can't seem to come up with one.

The Marie Courier?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Gravy Jones posted:

The devs have talked about it at length in a few FFFs and the occasional forum post. There are reasons they don't, but my brain usually turns to mush after the first couple of sentences, but I think the upshoot is that it would be a crazy amount of rewriting/work and it ain't happening any time soon, no before 1.0 at least. These posts usually rapidly devolve into internet experts telling the devs why they're wrong.

Multithreading isn't a magic bullet. There are limits to how much a task can be broken down into parallel processes, mostly based on many calculations having to use the same data and all affecting the ultimate shape of that data (different threads are not good at sharing data without a lot of extra work, which creates overhead that at some point can outweigh any gains you make from multithreading) and some tasks are just inherently linear because subtask B requires data that is only available when subtask A is complete, for example.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 13, 2019

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I' m guessing to make room for expanding the bus later on

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I also like the idea of someone who has "played" hundreds of hours of Factorio, but hasn't actually ever installed the game, he just does incident SLA breach analysis.

Ah, EVE Online organizational gameplay...

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Two-way rail lines (either with loops at the ends or using double-headed trains) can't really support more than one train on the line at a time, so once you get to the point where you need more than to maintain throughput, running parallel one-directional tracks allows you to scale that up massively at very little cost and effort past the initial investment in laying the track.

It takes some time to reach that point though, so running two-directional lines initially can also be useful for a while.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Duodecimal posted:

This is the only rectangular blueprint I'm using in this set. The problem is I started stamping it out horizontally and now when I go to turn it to the south, it's off by half with the vertical track that's this same blueprint rotated a turn.

I could cut it down to 32x32, but then the rail signals would be way too close together. I could try increasing it to 96x96 I guess and just give up on the chunks to either side? The issue I'm having is that it moves when oriented horizontally two chunks at a time exclusively, not one chunk at a time (i.e., 64 plots at a time). Which makes sense.

[edit]
Think I'll just make it 32x96 and center the rail signals. That way it has a middle chunk to rotate around - right now there is no center of rotation chunkwise.

You could also pad it out with 16 tiles of empty space on each side of the track for a 64x64 blueprint.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Really excited for the train limit too. Always wanted to make a train-serviced factory, but the necessity of mods to make it scale properly always put me off.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The better way to solve it is to burn down the forest

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You'd have to make your drop-off point able to either buffer all the trains or contain enough unloading stations to service all the trains, since otherwise full trains going to drop stuff off would be stuck waiting for trains that already unloaded and are in turn waiting for a pickup point to become active again.

The alternative would be to have a holding station that is named the same as the iron pick up stations, but only becomes active if no other iron pickup station is active.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It really seems like a massive oversight that you can build technicals, tanks and giant spider robots, but you can't build some Bagger 288-esque monstrosity to roam and dig up the land in

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
A segment of diagonal belt would just be a normal corner belt with a different visual for making it look neater when connecting to at least one other corner belt segment that is rotated 180 from itself

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Collateral Damage posted:

In code terms, this would be something like a call to a function which has had all its code removed and just returns because it was easier that way than finding all the places where the function was used.

Not necessarily always a sign that something was removed! :eng101:

In object-oriented programming where the intention is for other parties to later be able to expand on the program functionality without altering the original code, you might deliberately have the program call a class method that simply returns a constant value or the return value of another method, for the purpose of allowing someone to override that method in a subclass with something that contains more complex functionality.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I could see them introducing more specialized types of train wagons, like hopper wagons that can only hold raw materials, but maybe allow larger stack sizes within them and have corresponding loaders/unloaders that are really fast.

Or maybe even crazy stuff like mobile furnace/foundry wagons that can process ore into stuff while you're shipping it to the destination. Especially fun if there's a matching planet where staying in one spot for too long is hazardous, so you need to keep your base mobile

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I love it. Vanilla trains are now basically going to be high-capacity, long-range logi drones with correspondingly bigger infrastructure requirements and optional fine-detail control over their behavior.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Xerol posted:

I'm surprised they didn't add an interrupt for "schedule error" which you could use to make a misconfigured train return to a safe location.

They did! https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-389 described an interrupt condition for the train having no path or the destination being full, to change the destination to a depot or other safe spot in that case.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Drone_Fragger posted:

Honestly looking at the way theyre setting up the system it looks like you will struggle to prevent things picking up items there is no demand for. I can full see 20 trains of rocket control units stuck in a depot forever because there is no way to actually turn the station off.

If you don't mind having a train out of rotation, you can just condition the Safe Spot interrupt on the train having no cargo (like the blog example does), so that it remains sitting in the Pickup station until a destination for the cargo becomes available. That'll stop further trains from going to that pickup.

If you want to keep the train in use, you'll probably need to do some kind of circuit network thing where the pickup station is also disabled if all dropoff stations for the same item type are full or disabled.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rynoto posted:

Inserters hanging off the edge, grabbing salvage for refining as it goes.

This is an awesome mental image. Also, transferring stuff between wagons can be done by chucking something off the side for something further down to grab.

Throughput is unlimited, but anything that isn't grabbed before reaching the tail end is lost forever (or until another train passes by) :D

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

M_Gargantua posted:

I spy 30° rails too. I don't remember them announcing that.

Nearly half a year ago now https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-377

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
You can't repeatedly harvest the same fishing spot on a give water tile, I think, so using inserters would be pointless since each inserter is single-use only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
shouldn't be hard to mod in a reverse water pump that takes any fluid from the connected pipe and dumps it into a body of water (optionally cosmetically making the water looking increasingly polluted if you stuff other than water into it)