Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Man, all of these well thought out factories makes my achievement in not having material shortages pale in comparison.

How do you guys normally deal with the larger biter bases? Clouds and clouds of poison capsules? I tried using explosive rockets and they seem kinda underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Man, I just got my save eaten. I had finally worked out a nice setup and it was going really well. :smith:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Breetai posted:

Every time I play a new game, I end up using more and more features and marvelling at how easy they make things. This time around I used blueprints extensively, and had almost every product my factory produced routed to provider chests. It's amazing how fast you can grow your base when you can put down a block of 25 solar panels or 48 capacitors or a laser tower defense array with the click of a button.

That's 30 iron furnaces and 27 copper, plus to the north a small extension with another 12 copper and 6 iron feeding a dedicated green circuit factory.

I have to say, though, effectivity modules are the most useful while you're getting to the endgame, and they should be prioritized as soon as possible. This is the map of my endgame base:

There's practically zero pollution despite this being taken at a time when I was cranking out L3 modules in preparation for building the rocket defense; I never had a single map tile go over the lowest shade of pollution indicator, and biter attacks were so rare that it was like playing in peaceful mode. I also was able to run the base on pure solar power from about 5 hours in, and never built more than a single row of steam engines.

Look at how low that killcount is.

Do the items need to be premade for the construction bots to build it, or can you have them in the player storage and have the bots draw from there?

EDIT

Xel posted:

Base from hell
Holy poo poo. I'm not even sure how to do half of that half as efficiently.

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 29, 2014

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I don't get the fascination with the shotgun- pre upgraded shells. The SMG with piercing always seems to kill things better and faster for me.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I've taken to using a traincar as a huge chest:

This is a very first implementation and it works fantastically (also this is pretty early-game and I'm pretty much just loving around so the base is more of a mess than usual). I can't wait to figure out more uses for it.

In theory, in late games you could just completely supercharge the assemblers and the inserters would have such a huge multiplied throughput that :circlefap:

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I haven't ever thought of that. I now have several ideas on how to do it, using it as a midterm storage as well.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Replicant points if you have logi-bots cart around all the resources necessary to create more logi-bots.

It's not a bad research line to rush into, I find. It lets you move away from buses and belts every which way to an assembly depot near a storage depot for anything that doesn't need gobs of mass-production. And I think you don't have to dip into blue research to get that far either.

Factorio: Start Your Own VonNewmann Machine!

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

While doing my "clean the base while the countdown ticks down" habit, I saw the train cars I used to hold wire to build chips. Each car holds 4k wire.

Pictured: 32,000 wire, as I popped the train cars. :v: The game hung for ~45 seconds each.

Why do you hate your CPU? :ohdear:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Chunjee posted:

Not yet.

:ohdear: It is terrifying.

Welcome to space Australia!

Applewhite posted:

In multiplayer, is it possible for players to make war on each other?

Follow up:
This game needs ICBMs

That would be amazing. I wonder how it would deal with radioactive fallout. Maybe make the biter nests that get hit by the fallout cloud mutate and get worse?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I left biters on, and I think I may have accidentally made them nastier or more numerous. How do I get rid of the drat medium/large worms? I'm running off an insane amount of steam engines, but only have a little blue science so I don't have really any of the higher end weaponry.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I haven't taken the time to do mods, but I could get onboard with the Total Annihilation style guns. One big cannon that kills biters on the other side of the globe. My only involvement is maintaining the production chain,
I'd want some way to automate the artifact pickup though.

I'm still holding out for ICBMs personally.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Do we happen to know when the next version with the better track laying is coming in?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I got the arumba mod collection which is pretty full of QoL mods to help you control your mega pollution empire.

I did remove tree collisions and autofill, because hitting trees with shotguns bullets was infuriating with the tiny hitbox and having smelters autofill on my wooden poles when I plopped them down was also not nice.

Having switched to the steel poles, I'm really happy with that feature.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I am having the damnedest time trying to get multi-junction rails going; half the time a train going through will trip another light and prevent other trains from going through even though they've left the junction. Ughhhhh

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

a screenshot of the junction in question might help.

Found the problem, one of the less commonly used tracks with signals was screwed up and had the block shorter than the train. It cascaded from there over like 15 minutes as trains would route around the segment and slowly lock up the other signals.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is there a better way to do an unloader like this?

The boxes on the top can't unload because the belt is full.

I can't think of a great way to get a really compressed belt for this.

Yes, have a belt pointing away from each of the inserters, then have the first and second join to make a balanced belt. Do this with the third and forth, then join the resulting two belts together.

I'll try to get an image when I get to my computer.

Edit: see post above

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Loopoo posted:

I like the way you think, bud, but I'm still way too weak to attack biter nests effectively. I can do turret creep with bullet turrets but the effort, I prefer doing it with laser turrets.

Flamethrowers own now, use those.

I do like how you can start mega forest fires, I was exterminating a small biter nest and next thing I know the entire east is now in flames. I'm glad I had a stockpile of turrets because it really pissed off the natives

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Thanks for the link and the explanation --- like the op, I've also had a hard time understanding what the heck is happening with fluid pumping. (To the point that tanker rail cars are the one feature I am looking for the most).

Get the mod if you haven't, it owns so much

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
The answer is always more trains

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Ratzap posted:

If anything I edit the config rather than map gen settings. Chance per region down usually (varies from 5% to 30% depending on how much open space I want, default is 60) and I set biter chance down too but the size up. Less of them around but you get a decent amount of artifacts from each clump.

The biter one is good, it is kinda nice if you have them on active mode. You still have the external threat- it's less common but harder hitting. (I still kinda like the biters)

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

Report thread talks about rails so probably, yeah.

Best bug fix ever. It's immensely annoying when you're using RSO.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I'm not sure if it's entirely the right decision to remove it, but I'm not sure what a better choice would be if they were going to change it (which I do agree it needs to be changed).

I'm just happy a dev is going through everything and realizing x isn't fun or needs fixing

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

zegermans posted:

That first time you walk up to a forest and clear it entirely in seconds....

That's what the flamethrower is for :colbert:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Has anyone done RSO and Bobs mod combined? My favorite thing in this game is large scale train logistics and I want something a little more complex than just RSO- but I also don't want to drive myself to suicide if at all possible.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Man after playing Angel's mods for the entire weekend and trying to like them, they only seem to be adding tedium for the sake of tedium. I don't even want to think about how much ~fun~ Bob's are.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think trains can have higher throughput; they can only be as fast as the belts that feed them. Their benefit is in flexibility and construction - one piece of track requires one steel, one stone and one iron stick but the same area of express belts needs over a hundred iron gears.

They are faster- the time lag on what is a 2 minute train ride compared to how long it would take on belts is pretty huge. Not to mention you can run multiple belts in parallel to/from the train loaders.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Get Honk if you play with trains, you'll still probably get run over occasionally but it helps a hell of a lot.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
It would be kinda cool if there were turrets that shot electricity, but I don't know if there's any real good way to implement.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Ion cannons own for cleaning out bases, and for keeping those drat things away from the walls. The green ones really soak up damage.

For those who've done mega bases on RSO, how do you deal with raw materials? I'm currently using a train station with 10 stations-4 copper, 4 iron, 4 oil, 1stone and 1 coal. I've got it set up so each station has a waiting area, so I don't have a huge line to get to the individual station and when there are delays it only affects the one station as opposed to locking everything down. I'm seeing my trains mostly get slowed down when they are emptied and head back to the network. All of the tracks here merge into three lanes, then two, then one lane to return to the rest of the network and the slowdown really kicks in during the final merge.

I was thinking I could make the station block have 2 return lanes until it reaches the main 4 way splitter, but that might force the problem to that junction making things even worse. I'm not seeing deadlocks due to signals, I've finally gotten those figured out. My next thought was moving the various plate production to sub bases, but that might actually make things worse because of the production modules on the electric smelters and the plates still need to get to the base. If I were to make three station groups at different parts of the base I would still have the problem of merging back into the railway, but in a different spot. I'm not sure what's the best way to fix this.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

concise posted:

Not nearly as cool, though.

And, fire will spread throughout the forest cluster on its own too

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

sink posted:

hammering the wild untamed natural land into your autism grid.

Not a phrase I expected to ever hear, but surprisingly apt. I just recently ripped out a huge section of my solar fields because I accidentally had it one tile higher than the rest and didn't notice until later. :goonsay:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
For biter chat: get low orbit ion cannon

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

Saw an update to Factorio in Steam, got excited for .15, read the FF and found it's only a hotfix for that packet issue and an Nvidia driver issue.

Same :smith:

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

mastermind2004 posted:

I was wondering something similar. How is Angels ore stuff without Bobs? Does it basically just mean you have saphirite and you use that for iron and copper? I've been playing an Angels + Bobs (just Angels ore, not petrochem) and the ridiculous number of resources and processing chains is just too much for me.

Yeah, from what I remember it was only four ores but they had all that processing to get the iron/copper.

(I personally didn't find it fun)

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah we slammed this in. Massive improvement particularly because I blindly wander into trains on an hourly basis

Yeah, even with honk you can get to the point where there is a never ending screech and still get hit by trains.

This can be avoided if you plan around where your train nexus is going to go instead of putting several tracks through your base but I can't be bothered to move it

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Tyty posted:

I've found I've been starting to hit a choke where I reach a point where I can no-longer keep my furnaces stocked enough to keep up with the rest of my production. I'll have multiple patches fully mined leading into my furnace system but it's not really enough to keep up with the demands of my base... I'm not 100% sure if I'm just trying to manufacture more than I can handle at this point, but it's become apparent I need more poo poo and just belting ore back to my base is no-longer working to fill a bus. This is about when I can start making blue circuits and stuff starts demanding lots of green circuits

I'm guessing the solution to this is trains and robots to unload the stations and while I've gotten a pretty good grasp on logistics I have no clue how trains work There a quick primer or something on setting up train outposts to get ore back to base? I ask since one train seems simple enough but I'm probably going to need to run multiple trains and that seems a lot more complicated.

Also note that if you have multiple iron stations (or other similar) you can name them the same and the trains will route to the nearest one as opposed to naming them 1, 2, 3 etc and juggling them.

I found this out embarrassingly late.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

I always build my stations on little loops perpendicular to the main track. So they'd turn off, stop and load/unload, loop back round and could turn back onto the track in either direction.

This did cause a bit of trouble when I connected together two of my fair-flung lines, though. Circuits and loops don't mix.

I think this sort of loop is best because they can divert without slowing down the main set of tracks. I generally try to have the loop rejoin the track it left and just have the train loop at the next junction- I tend to throw those out a lot so it only adds a few seconds of time to that train as opposed to causing a backup on the main rail.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Blue belts are amazing, and should be put everywhere.

Also, there's a mod that lets you upgrade whatever you designate by clicking and dragging it- if you are replacing all your belts with higher tier ones it makes life much more bearable. I'm phone posting so I don't know the exact name, but it should be along the lines of upgrade planner.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

awesmoe posted:

its all worth it for the laugh i got when I was modifying a train station and the belt pushed me on to the tracks as the train arrived

I've had that happen to me and it was pretty funny

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Whoopsies

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Once you have reasonably fast robots, there's nothing stopping you from boxing up your entire factory in storage bins and then redeploying it in a more orderly layout. Well, nothing except your dignity, I guess.

And sanity.