Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I've started a new game with the Marathon Mod, and it's certainly shaken up the early game. All it does is heavily ramp up the costs of some early fundamental items (like electric circuits) so the need for real efficiency is brought forward much sooner, and things like burner miners become useful much later since a single electric miner now requires hundreds of copper. Worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I get the impression they're going to take their time with .12? They reached their comfortable stable .11.x version and want to develop a load of new things for the new version. I think that's the one they want to go to Steam with, too, so there's quality stuff to build up with it too.

I'm not expecting it any time soon, anyway.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

From the thread on their forums, it's a bug - they multiplied the power generation and consumption of armour things to account for the new roboport modules, but forgot to boost the shield consumption to match. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

0.12.1 is out! Burner inserters now start with enough energy to pick up one item and fuel itself, so the initial phase of the game should be notably less fiddly.

Also plenty of bug fixes, including the shield thing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

oxbrain posted:

Wait, burner inserters fuel themselves now?

They've done that for at least as long as I've been playing, provided they were given one piece of fuel to start them off (no longer necessary). If their fuel stock ran out and they were positioned to pick up a fuel item, they would claim the fuel item rather than moving it across.

If you were always vigilant to make sure your inserters had several coal to burn you probably wouldn't have seen it. This is why it's a good idea to have one burner inserter on your steam boilers in case of a total blackout; it would never let itself lose power.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Krataar posted:

How do I do the logistics for fluid networks? So that Cracking is only done if lube is topped off.

Tanks and pumps. An inactive pump won't let fluid through, and tanks give the readout of the amount. You need to use red or green wires; they don't hook up to the logistics network.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Jesus, I just built a research lab whose random name was so long the window stretched over the page.

You can't deconstruct things through that window, so the only way I could remove it was using the deconstruction planner when it was in that narrow band at the bottom of the screen...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Somewhere in the next few minor versions they're putting the game on Steam.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like the campaign; it serves as a good tutorial to the fundamental mechanics.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

My main gripe with trains is that they are mainly an RP thing. For pure efficiency I'm willing to bet that a blue conveyor highway will ship more materials per second every single time. Plus adding stations and enlarging the train network costs a lot of time.

I wish there was some sort of logistics middle ground were trains could be easier to work with when you just want to make a circle that transports materials. Right now trains can do a hundred things but only about 5 of those things relate the efficiency of your factory and the rest are a train simulator minigame.

The advantage to trains is setup cost. A few stacks of rail will take you a lot further than the same amount of express belts and require far, far less material to boot. They also adapt well to upgrading your factory's efficiency. If you're upgrading your supply end from regular belts to express belts then the train can probably handle the extra volume, at most needing some extra cars or another train on the route. Taking belts the same distance means you have to replace the entire length of the highway.

Also also trains are the fastest means of getting your character around your factory.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

True factorio :spergin: is leaving the game on over night to fill chests with advanced circuits.

You never wait for things in Factorio. You expand your factory to make more of them faster.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Is there any way to restrict what items can go into a chest, a sort of "smart chest" feature? I could have sworn there used to be a way, but now I can only figure out how to limit the number of inserter-writeable slots in a chest, not what items can go into those slots.
You'd need to use smart inserters. They can filter items, or wire them to a smart chest and only put items in when there's less than [desired number]. You can't filter chests like you can hotbar slots and train carriages.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Michaellaneous posted:

Radars also act as beacon for biters becuase wow they hate that poo poo.

For that matter, does anyone know how biters choose what to attack? They'll merrily run past logistics infrastructure outside the factory (pylons, tracks, belts) while equally happily trashing the same things within it. I figured they would head toward the greatest concentration of pollution and start destroying once something gets in their way or attacks them, but then they'll go for relatively inert radars over more polluting items.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

The only arguments against loops I've heard is that it takes more space and limits where you can place them and forces potentially a bit of redesign of your loading stations, and that it takes longer for a train to get on the main line* (you would accelerate faster though, so this may be wrong depending on distance)

What happens if you do two trains pointed the same way? Do they both generate thrust or just one?

Both pull, I think. The train puts out a limited force and heavier loads will go slower. This is a disadvantage to the non-loop system; you're lugging around a heavy, idle engine all the time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It might be specifically an EU thing, mind. Euroskepticism is sadly popular all over the continent. It's all to easy to only see the EU doing anything when it's arbitrary or restrictive, since those are the only things that get talked about. Well, that and immigration.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's not like you ever need to remove the initial factory. Space isn't exactly at a premium, unless it's occupying an important tactical position or something. Just leave it as a relic. Pave the world. Nuke the whales.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

It just bothers me to see such blue water under my pollution cloud.

It's not pollution, but there's a finite water mod that drains lakes as you draw water from them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You could probably set up a mod to at least run the roboport when the car is stopped (I guess with the personal roboport the code clearly exists for a moving logistics zone, but that sounds like a recipe for lost bots on a train). It would be very convenient for repairing and supplying distant bases...

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm disappointed about that, mainly because without it there's no real new content in the pipeline, just bugfixes and polish. What we have is what we'll get, at least for the next year, lacklustre endgame and all.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stick Insect posted:

I really wouldn't mind some sort of endless sandbox mode, but with this game being what it is, I do need something to eat up all the things my factory produces. The space platform would've been great for that.

That's what I mean about endgame - once you've tapped out your research your factory consumption plummets. I'm totally happy building an ever-extending factory to meet an ever-growing demand but it needs to actually do that.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This is also going to add a big factor to the rail vs conveyors argument, as building rail will be much, much easier over long distances.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cosmik Debris posted:

greens aren't that bad, the whole chain is only iron and copper. It's getting your mines set up that sucks, imo.

http://imgur.com/KIxsjse

You seem to have a belt of gears split off that isn't doing anything.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A common system is to use a bus - a long trunk of parallel belts carrying common components that branch off into sub-factories for the more advanced parts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

So is the steam release a new version with more stuff in it, or is it an early access with the alpha build that's up now?

I don't think it'll be early access, but it'll be the current version, including the challenge maps.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So I modded my game to remove iron sticks.

Originally I was just modding rail tracks to require wood instead so that I have something to do with all that junk that doesn't require me to mod in a tree farm. But without those iron sticks are only used for your basic tools and lamps, at which point... why bother? You don't need to make many of either.
Honestly iron sticks feel like an idea they came up with way early in the game that didn't actually end up going anywhere but no one's bothered to remove. You already have a processed-iron item in the gears, and sticks don't offer anything different, nor is there any logistics challenge because barely anything requires them. Them being one of the few items still with placeholder art doesn't help.

I don't know, maybe I'm being silly about this, but I honestly feel like it's improved the game a little. Mostly because of the wooden tracks thing, admittedly.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ModeSix posted:

I think in almost 2 years of playing this game, I've automated blue science packs... twice... I'm never happy with my factories so I start over...

I think everyone reaches that point where their early factory isn't fit for purpose so they start over. There's no need to start a new game for it though - keep the old one chugging along and build somewhere else! The landmass in Factorio is infinite; make good use of it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Blast and drat it I wish I could see imgur at work. Stupid "mixed content/potentially adult" rating. Oh well, thanks for all the pics and explanations, I'll look tonight when I tear down what little I have so far and start rebuilding.

(edit) Actually I might outright start over. I probably haven't made much pollution yet, but am I right in understanding that it's cumulative over time, so the fiddling I've done so far leaves me in a slightly worse position vis a vis biters, or is it more about the current total output?

I believe the pollution cloud will go away if you just switch everything off, though it may take some time. However, the biters evolve as the game goes on, becoming stronger and more numerous.

Still, you're unlikely to suffer if you leave your old factory around and just start over some way off to the side. Maybe re-tool your existing one to build conveyors/inserters/assemblers/pylons to make setting up your new one quicker. The biters don't evolve so fast that this will be much trouble.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

oh hey it's 1130 where the gently caress did the last four hours go

Factorio is a very difficult game to stop playing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious why the input arm picked up iron ore. Inserters usually only take items required by the factory they're inserting to - so eg when the furnace input is full they won't try to grab anything. For assemblers they'll only pick up items relevant to the recipe, and I presumed the same of furnaces - if they're smelting steel the arms should only be inputting iron plates.

I've never tried mixing my furnace inputs, but I did once have a copper mine accidentally picking up some stone, and it didn't clog up my furnaces like that. It just meant I had stray stone bricks on my copper line.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Now that I'm at work and thinking about factorio, new question. Say I have a four belt iron plate bus; on one side a splitter takes half the plates off for iron gears, leaving that belt half empty (assuming there's no input backlog). (Or, more likely, dedicate that belt on the bus entirely to gears, because god drat do I need a lot of gears.) How do I then re-balance the bus after that point?

Best I can figure is to leave the bus unbalanced until I have another factory that needs plates, take those from the belt on the opposite side, then put two splitters inline on the bus to "rob" the middle two lanes.

Feed both belts into a splitter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Control Volume posted:

How close is this game to being complete? I know they added something resembling an endgame a little bit ago, so is it just small updates and machine additions to an essentially complete game or is there still major mechanical stuff left to be added?

There is one big endgame phase yet to come (specifically making a space platform once you've launched your rocket). I presume the campaign will be continued too. Other than that it's just going to be tinkering with things.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Logistics robots need a fair bit of upgrading (and a big swarm produced, but of course you're going to do that) before they can realistically replace belts in general, but early on they can still be good for hooking up parts of the factory that are difficult to belt together, or for managing your own inventory (again with upgrades, but not as many). Construction robots are extremely useful right from the off.

Trains are awesome. Technically trains will never be as efficient as just spanning that gap with belts, but... trains.
Also tracks are much much easier to build than belts, even more so once the next update hits.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

construction bots didn't make much sense--at least, without pictures (work proxy :argh:). I'll have to see an example of them in use to get it.

Two main functions of construction bots:

With repair packs, they will repair walls and turrets (and other equipment!) damaged by biters, and automatically replace anything destroyed.
With blueprints, they can be used to construct your factory without you having to be carrying the parts around yourself.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Slashrat posted:

What's the best way to deal with biter attack if you don't yet know where the attacks will come from? If you build a perimeter wall some distance from your factory structures with openings at intervals, will they follow it to the opening, or just gnaw their way through the wall as soon as they encounter it?

They'll take a reasonably straight line toward your factory, and chew any walls in their way unless there's an opening within a couple of blocks. They are easily distracted by military structures, however.

Build a radar; it'll give you a map of the area and you can see where the biter nests are. Biters will come from any nests your pollution cloud reaches, in a straight line toward your factory. (If the line takes them near another biter nest they'll just join up with that one for pathfinding's sake).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What if you don't fire the guns and just run them down? The tank does a lot of ram damage.

Also I think high nest density just makes the worms stronger.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What are you researching? Some of the techs require two green packs for each one red/blue/purple.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Malf posted:

Is there a way to only run your steam engines when your accumulators are low?

They power down when my solar panels take over but the accumulators just sit there fully charged over night.

Not yet, no. Version 13 will have the logic networks cover power (both for input and output).

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tulip posted:

So I'm a bit dim, what's the logic behind having faster belts? It seems like once you get up to saturation it doesn't matter how fast the ground underneath is moving, but I'm totally willing to be wrong on this.

If your resources are backing up, then no, you don't need faster belts.
If your factories need more of a resource, and it's backing up somewhere on the path to them, that's when faster belts are needed.

A transport belt can carry about 13 items a second through a given tile. If your factories are using more than (eg) 13 iron plates a second, then it doesn't matter how many more than that your furnaces are producing - the belt is just too slow to carry that many plates to your factories, and it will get backed up in the middle even though the further-out factories are starved. That's when you want either two parallel belts, to carry more items, or one fast belt, to carry twice as many in the same space.

There's really not much purpose to fast belts other than that. Getting items through your factory faster doesn't actually affect anything other than how quickly your factory responds to changes in your supplies. I guess having two yellow belts merge onto a red belt can prevent the belts backing up, if you're wanting to get two different resources onto the same belt, but it's still the same basic concept.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 31, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zetsubou-san posted:

I generally don't use red/green wire unless I want less than a full stack of something produced (modules, turrets, power suit bits). Are there any other non-smart chest features of the wires?

Right now, circuit networks only interact with smart chests, smart inserters, fluid tanks, electric pumps, combinators and lights, as far as I know. Patch 13.0 will bring in interaction with trains and the power network.
Edit: Apparently offshore pumps can be hooked up as well. I do not know under what circumstances you would ever want to not pump water.

I've mostly only used the networks and combinators to balance out where outputs go, eg turning my stone bricks into concrete, stone walls and electric furnaces at a 100:10:1 ratio, or to set up my oil crackers to only go when there's more than 1k or so of that type of oil (or less than 1k or so petroleum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Node posted:

And when do behemoth variants of aliens show up on default settings? I'm producing almost every product in the game, so my base is of considerable size, but I only see giant aliens at most.

Behemoths only appear at maximum evolution, as far as I know.