Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Man, logistics robots change everything. Holy poo poo.

The amount of materials a lategame factory goes through is utterly incredible. I'm starting to see why rails and stuff are in the game - it's about the only way to get enough copper and iron to feed the beast.

Now I need to figure out how smart chests and inserters work so that I can better control how much stuff I make.

Quick question - is there a way to have a bot factory auto-deploy bots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

You can add a second belt, or upgrade the first belt with a faster belt, or both! Alternately, you can get fast inserters to grab plates along the line and put them into passive provider chests so that your logistics network can get to them.

Remember that you can use splitters to even out the flow of goods to both sides of the belt for more carrying capacity as well.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I tried using one of the mods on the factorio forums, and boy howdy was that a mistake. There's a mod called DyTech that theoretically adds some cool stuff, but I never got to that point because the mod author's head is so far up his rear end that he thinks that extending the early game is a good idea. Seriously, you start out without the ability to make an iron pickaxe (you can, however, build a burner drill out of iron, because that's significantly less complicated than pointy metal on a stick). Instead you can make a wooden pickaxe and that works about as well as you might think. On top of that, burner miners take an additional three stone (which takes loving ages to mine) because apparently stone gears are a thing that can be used in modern machinery.

There's this whole chain of pickaxes, and the whole idea of that completely baffles me. Half the point of the game is setting up an automated factory to build and mine poo poo for you - why the hell should I bother with making a better pickaxe? Sure, in the base game I eventually pick up a steel pickaxe, but that's only when I have an excess of steel and because it comes free with steel technology.

The mod stinks of stuff that got added in because it sounded neat without anyone paying attention to whether or not it adds something compelling to gameplay. Some of the late game additions sound neat - there are bigger and badder biters, as well as bigger and badder weapons to fight them with. There are some automation tools that are added in that seem interesting. That initial impression left me with such a sour taste in my mouth though that I can't really justify trying the mod out again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ModeSix posted:

I find that the logistics and construction bots kind of ruin the challenge of the game because everything just happens and you have to do a lot less thinking to get things from point A to point B.

They are handy but since discovering them I've lost a bit of interest in continuing.

They just simplify the super late game. I still use belts to set up the basic stuff like both varieties of plates, copper wire, gears, circuit boards, and advanced circuits. Everything else is pretty easily fed by bots, but I often end up with my logistic bot production line (engines,pipes,etc.) sourced by belts too. I also have belts make the first two science packs, batteries, and a few other essentials.

There's nothing stopping you from using belts for most products - they just make it a hell of a lot easier to expand the factory and add in arbitrary builders.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

How good could dytech be if someone took out all the cruft and gave them all reasonable numbers for...pretty much everything.

If you went through, rewrote the entire mod, removed the bullshit at the beginning of the game, removed the truly excessive number of new reagents added, balanced any new stuff added, and made sure that everything works, makes sense, and is balanced, then you'd wind up with something like what the tech tree and available stuff that the game will have when released. There's clearly more stuff that the developers want to add - there are things like "basic" accumulators and beacons without any corresponding advanced versions. They've set up their engine so that that stuff is easy to drop in, so it's a safe bet that all that will be expanded eventually.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Thats pretty cool. Just so sad about its state and apparently(?) the creator isnt inclined to fix it. :eng99:

I may have been unclear - I'm being harsh on the guy who makes DyTech. What I was trying to say is that a fixed, polished, and redesigned DyTech would essentially be what the Factorio developers will end up doing for their final release, since there are a lot of vanilla buildings and things that have basic versions without corresponding advanced versions.

DyTech is one of those things that should theoretically be neat, because there's definitely a late-game niche that can be filled, but it's also a mod that adds so much unnecessary cruft that it bogs down the entire game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

What would you say is a fair recipe for alien artifacts then? Material costs and time taken?

Adding the recipe is pretty easy, but what people think is fair is a lot harder.

Well, one artifact is 10 purple beakers. Blue beakers take batteries, steel, smart inserters, and advanced circuits.

This means we need something significantly more complicated, and in fairly large numbers. I'd say that in order to keep the same level of complexity, you need some combination of processing units, modules, and express belts. That uses lubricant, sulfuric acid (so significant oil tech), and a ton of lower level processing time and materials. To keep things fairly simple, the easiest method would be to just make one alien artifact out of one of each level 2 module. That's a ton of components, a ton of time needed to make it (and a significant opportunity cost of not using the modules!), and a fairly complicated production line. If you want to be even more sadistic, include the flying robot chassis that is the basis of logistic bots, for an even higher opportunity cost.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I just started using trains and they're pretty neat! I've got a setup that runs out, grabs copper ore from an outpost, and brings it back to my depleted copper mines. Pretty soon I'm going to have to expand that operation with a second train car.

I know people have mentioned that trains aren't that cost-effective, but they're a lot of fun, and most importantly, if an outpost needs maintenance or comes under attack, I can get there quickly by just hitching a ride on the rails!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

So I just finished the game (well, essentially; I didn't build the rocket defense, but that just would have been a matter of time, and quite frankly, nobody has time to build one hundred level 3 modules).

It turns out that Mk2 Power Armor with 2 fusion reactors, 8 exoskeleton thingies (30% movespeed boost each), 3 mk2 shields, a mk2 battery, and night vision is utterly hilarious. I popped down 10 of the best combat robots (they come five to a pod, so it's easy), and literally just walked all over biter camps, even with large numbers of the big biters. The robots cleaned house with the biters, the shields stopped me from taking any real damage, and I could walk with the combat shotgun firing faster than the biters could hit me. I'd swoop in, kill the nests, and run off to the next biter nest before the bots expired. Nests that took me ~5 minutes to clean out with laser turret walking turned into a massacre that lasted a maximum of thirty seconds.

On top of all that, I had put effectivity 1 modules in everything, and swapped over to entirely solar power, so my pollution was at a minimum (I tried manufacturing effectivity 2 modules for a while, but they build too slowly - far better to just get effectivity 1 modules in place in everything and swap over to 2's later on if absolutely necessary). I still had steel furnaces eating solid fuel, so my pollution could have been cut even further with electric furnaces, but as it stood, I wasn't even getting attacked by biters.

The big biters are a nightmare though - even with all of the gear that I had, it still took forever and three days (without bots) to kill a swarm of the bastards. It's a shame that the only effective weapon in the late game is the shotgun, as rockets are expensive to use and far less damaging, the flamethrower is a joke against big biters (it saved my rear end a few times early on against mediums though), and the submachine gun is a joke against anything but the smallest enemies.

At some point I should rework my armor to put in a whole bunch of the personal laser defense turrets and see how that goes. I have the feeling that the lasers just won't do enough damage to put a dent in anything though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I fixed it. The wiki lies. It's not to be put in the folder in %APPDATA%, it's the one in the install directory. For some loving reason.

E: What maps work well for working with trains and stuff. I've hosed around in the editor with my past few maps and I'd like to do one with lots of trains and stuff.

Any map can work well with trains. If you want something where trains are more optimal, you want large deposits with medium or less resources, as that will force you to expand and grab new deposits continually. That way you can keep one central smelting operation going and use networks of trains to go and grab new patches of ore to bring back to base.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Something that I've noticed in my maps is that water seems to be the last thing added to a map. I'll often see metal deposits split by a lake where it's obvious that the water was added in after the deposit was generated.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I guess, but barrels only stack to 8 (10 now that it's base 10 probably? It's been a while)

The (very nearly) infinite bandwidth of Pipes is the main selling point, with the no-hassle logistics being #2. On the other hand, there is "run over your own pipes in a car" which is eventually obviated by wearing 6 exosuits.

Emphasis on the eventually though! That stuff takes a while to construct and research.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

You may just be using too few boilers - I think the ratio is around 13-14 boilers for 10 steam engines. If they don't have enough hot water because of that, that could be the issue.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Can't you just build more robot stations?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Yeah I'm not going to complain about incomplete features in an alpha game.

I've been playing a Dytech game, and I have to agree with the earlier assesment of Dytech, except I've also included the Warfare mod. There's a "collector" that you can place near your walls that will grab the corpse items off the ground to get them into your logistics networks. One of the items they break down into is bones, which can be "smelted" into charcoal. So now my lasers to kill the biters are powered by the charred corpses of previous biters :black101:

It definitely has some cool stuff, like the whole lava smithing thing which lets you skip the smelting step entirely and convert metal -> liquid -> items. Of course, the problem with this is that there are something like ten different temperatures of lava, lava spawning is broken, different reactions require different temperatures of lava, there are several new types of metals added in, which are required for some random things for some stupid reason, you need sand, which then makes clay, which then makes molds for the liquid metal -> item step, and there's just so much tedious bullshit to wade through before you can set up that production chain that it's incredibly irritating to do. On top of all that, it's such incredibly late game research that by the time it shows up, you've already got a functioning factory anyway, so why bother with the hassle?

And I know I've already bitched about the tools, but I feel the need to do so again. Why in the bloody blue blazes would anyone think that this game needs minecraft-style pickaxe crafting where you start with a godsdamned wooden axe!? Hell, you can, right off the bat, build an automated iron mining drill, so why on earth would anyone with that level of technology hailing from a spacefaring society start with godsdamned wood as an axe? I doubt even neanderthals were ever that stupid; I'm pretty sure they at least started with rocks. It's that kind of philosophy with content for the sake of content without stopping to consider whether or not it adds anything at all to the game (seriously, who even bothers with a pickaxe for ore mining after about 15 minutes into the game?) that bothers me the most about that mod.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Shintaro posted:

Also, read the game tips.

And check out the mini belt tutorials.
http://imgur.com/a/qQrLS
http://imgur.com/a/zrtmI

A logical conclusion they missed - burner miners can output to burner miners. This seems incredibly stupid to do, until you realize that you can have two coal burner miners output to each other so that they'll supply each other indefinitely, and then you can just walk by and control click them to remove the coal from them. No muss, no fuss, incredibly easy automated coal mining right from the get go.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ikanreed posted:

People complain, but when you've beaten the game, all mods can really do is add complexity to create new challenges.

There's good complexity, and then there's tedium. DyTech adds tedium in too many ways for me to find it enjoyable.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

concise posted:

Arumba's newer videos are good

As well as Shenrryr and quill18; they all tend to play games with each other, and while Quill is probably the most insufferable, he's at least knowledgeable about the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Phssthpok posted:

The alternative to putting copper wire on a belt is to insert it directly into its target or a container. Once you research some inserter stack size upgrades this advantage gets even bigger.

You can also use a train car as a large shared container:

Just be careful that the train car doesn't fill with one good. Use smart chests + smart inserters to control it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

If you suck at rail so bad you need to filter your car inventory you have my deepest sympathies :smug:

I guess the only use I can think of for that is if you've got a couple different kinds of deposits in a small area and you can just one station for them.

Or you could do as we were just talking about and use it as a giant smart container for inputs and outputs of a factory. As a bonus, it all benefits from stack size increases.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh my god why would you use standard inserters to load up a train car.

In theory, with enough stack size upgrades, you might not need the throughput of a fast inserter. On the other hand, the less time the train spends at a stop, the better, so there's no reason not to use fast inserters.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Apocadall posted:

drat, oh well, I guess at least now that I understand it all well enough maybe I can plan something out better this time.

current setup

Power in top left, steel and iron plates to the top right, was expanding to the lower right to put more stuff in, maybe ore processing? Is it more effective to process at the dig site and then transport the plates or the transport the ore to a central smelter? I feel like the central smelter might be more extensible.

There are Lua commands that can help. Don't know them off the top of my head, but you can spawn/modify resources in-game.

Alternately, the game world expands infinitely. Build trains!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

You probably are scaling up too quickly.

This. 10-20 burner miners is an obscene amount of pollution for the early game, which in my opinion is a bit of a shame. Given their mining speed their pollution could easily be cut to 3-5 instead of the 10 that it's at right now. It'd be nice to have the option at least of going with burner miners in the short term instead of trying to transition over to electricity as soon as possible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Are there any good mods that expand what is available without adding in absurd amounts of new resources and arbitrary building requirements? I just tried out Bob's mods after Arumba talked about them for a bit, but holy poo poo is it a grind to get loving anywhere. Not only do you need wood for basic circuits (because lord knows the best possible material to make heavy machinery components out of is wood, right?), but the second tier of circuits not only requires wood, it also requires resin (made from wood/oil), three different kinds of new ore, two different chemicals, and something like six different components. Add in to that that not only do some machines require plates of new metals, but they require gears/bearings/whateverthefuck built out of those new metals on top of that. It's a clusterfuck of build requirements.

I like the idea of having higher tech things available, but some of the production chains are just needlessly complex, especially for basic components.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

I've always gone with all electric mining drills (and inserters) as soon as I set up my first steam engine - it takes a bit longer to craft them when you haven't yet set up automated circuit production, but it's better than keeping dozens of mining drills supplied with fuel.

Actually, with the change to making burner inserters fuel themselves, it's more or less trivial to keep the burner miners and smelters full on fuel since the coal miners can resupply themselves. Electric miners are just so much more efficient in terms of mining ability and pollution efficiency though that transitioning to electricity asap is the best move.

ToxicFrog posted:

How is it good for taking down spawners when it can't kill the biters that they constantly spawn to defend themselves?

Honestly, I'm most of the way through this (terrible) mission, and I'm getting the impression that all equippable weapons suck rear end:

- Pistol doesn't hit hard enough.
- SMG is ok against small groups of biters, but even a single nest will respawn them as fast as you can kill them, leaving no chance to attack the nest itself.
- Shotgun is good for clearing trees and ok against nests, but doesn't do any damage to biters, and since you will never be fighting a single nest without also fighting the swarms of biters it constantly shits out, it's useless as a weapon.
- Rocket launcher does respectable damage, but since it only damages a single target and fires extremely slowly, by the time the rocket hits and kills that first biter another three will be loving you up.

In contrast, throwables are pretty great. Grenades do less damage on paper than rockets, but since they have a blast radius they actually do much more damage, since you're never fighting only one target in this game. They're also cheaper than rockets and require only iron and coal rather than iron, copper, and explosives. And they don't need a separate launcher, either. And you can throw them while running at full speed, unlike any weapon.

And if grenades aren't doing it for you and you're willing to dip into your copper reserves, Defender drones are still cheaper than rockets and will do vastly more damage (and more damage per second) over their 45-second lifespan while also drawing off enemy attention and letting you move at full speed.

I kind of hope that at the top of the tech level the combat becomes less like an awkward and badly balanced Alien Shooter clone and more like an RTS. I want to just crank out a few thousand flamethrower drones and tell them to burn the world, or construct an artillery piece capable of delivering five tonnes of explosives to any location on the map.

Bring turrets, bring deployable bots, bring poison capsules, and in general just bring more than yourself along. Shotguns with proper positioning can kill biters and a spawner at the same time, but you're always better off tossing down a handful of turrets and going from there.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Jesus, I just built a research lab whose random name was so long the window stretched over the page.

You can't deconstruct things through that window, so the only way I could remove it was using the deconstruction planner when it was in that narrow band at the bottom of the screen...

Yeah, they really need to remove that donation name, or at least truncate it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it in this thread, but the autoloader mod is amazing. It automatically places fuel or ammunition from your inventory into things that require fuel or ammunition when you place them. It makes using burner inserters much more convenient since they start with 1 fuel loaded and you don't need to manually fill them.

The only downside is that it makes turrets with piercing ammo hilariously good at breaking biter bases. You can build 15-30 turrets and just drop them in a line as you approach the base to kill everything in short order. Granted, you do go through huge amounts of ammo in the process.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Foehammer posted:

The two things I would love to have in this game would be long range artillery, and some clockwork men a la Rise of Legends:

Bah, you're not thinking large enough. The next step should be that we build ourselves an ACU...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Have to keep that pollution down.

Huh, those biter bases appear to have, uh, grown.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kenlon posted:

I've been having a blast with Bob's Mods - I wouldn't suggest it unless you've played vanilla to death and it's gotten too straightforward to be fun, though. It's pretty much just more of everything, with only a handful of things that seem out of whack with vanilla balance. (The fact that electrolyzing water to oxygen/hydrogen and then turning the hydrogen into solid fuel is energy positive to a ludicrous degree is pretty much the only thing that bugs me.)

Eh, I'd disagree on Bob's mods. The concept is neat, and the whole idea of expanding the tech tree is sound, but good lord are the production chains atrocious. Rather than having things build off of each other in a logical extension (circuit》advanced circuit》processing unit, or iron》steel), everything is built independently and has too many components. Basic circuit boards are strange, but okay (wood+copper), but the next level up requires three different wood products (board+resin+rubber), four metals, a liquid, and a handful of sub-components that need to be built individually. This, by the way, isn't even the most complicated circuit board.

It just bogs down so much, and the added complexity just makes things more complex; metals are used for no real rhyme or reason other than a tiering system in some cases, and in other cases (like the aforementioned circuits) it gets stuck in the weeds of minutiae for no real reason.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

How long do you usually have before the biters attack? I'm been playing sandbox for the first time, with RSO installed, and I've been slowly expanding -- eight miners, ten steam engines, twenty or so fabricators -- and have yet to be attacked. It's making me nervous.

They start attacking a while after the pollution (red on the map) hits a base. They absorb pollution and create more and stronger units with it. The deeper the red of the pollution, the more aggressive the growth and response. Scout around your base and check to see if any biter nests are covered by pollution.

Also, miners put out an absurd amount of pollution. It's one of those things that always surprises me early game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

Sweet! What does it do with the conflicting terrain? Remove it?

Doesn't place it. Useful if you're placing something like a solar grid and can only place half of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The argument is that you can just send out more trains. If your track is constructed properly, you can add more trains to it until your buffers are overflowing with raw resources.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ratzap posted:

Ah, you'd like playing with Dred... he has a fetish with concrete. Square miles of concrete, concrete everywhere.

Are there Factorio players who don't pave the world in concrete? I mean that's half the point of the game!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

RazNation posted:

I just D/L the game after about three months and new PC later.

Love the grind at first but I haven't tried the new stuff, stone and concrete along with the other stuff.

Trust me. You'll build a tiny patch of concrete, notice the speed boost, and begin paving the world immediately.

It's also a really fun way to mark territory, even if it negatively impacts pollution.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Hmm. you don't make gears to order? And a separate inserter factory per chain?

Gears are more compact than iron, which makes them efficient to bus.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

KillHour posted:

I decided to try Bob's Mods out for a change/new challenge. Just completed blue science.

This is what a blue science factory looks like. gently caress you, Bob!

I find turning off the electronics makes the whole thing so much more enjoyable. No more loving around with transistors and electronic components and all that other bullshit, and it still gives you a progression with all of the ores/plates/whatever to upgrade your stuff with.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kenlon posted:

Will do. Currently messing around with my start settings to get enough nearby resources to start with, while still needing to expand. Getting the balance right with RSO has been interesting.

Yeah, one of the most interesting things about Bob's mods is just how much less iron you end up needing. Steel only costs two iron plates instead of five, and circuits don't use iron, so you end up using comparatively little.

Sniper turrets also are so massively ammunition efficient that you end up using fewer resources on ammo too, and it is viable to use regular bullets with sniper turrets for the whole game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kenlon posted:

I wouldn't go that far - in my second Bob's Mod test game, which only has about 60-70 hours on it, I'm having trouble holding back the biters with sniper turrets plus piercing ammo. I may have to start building lasers.

Is your problem damage or rate of fire? As long as you upgrade bullet damage, bullet shooting speed, and sniper turret damage, you should be killing most biters in 1-2 shots with normal ammo. Upgrade your turrets to mk2 or mk3 for even more punch and shooting speed if there are still problems. Because of the massive multiplier on sniper turrets (2400% or something for mk1), small upgrades to bullets pay out massively.

Also consider a double or triple wall of turrets - the range is such that you can easily saturate an area with overlapping turrets and kill every biter that approaches. You need to be killing them in 1-2 volleys though, so plan accordingly. It can also help to find the rally points for biters and place sniper turrets in range of them so that you get constant small attacks rather than huge waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Lorini posted:

Thanks everyone. The pictures are tough as I have a hard time seeing how to replicate what I see. That's on me, it's just the way I see things. I've googled Factorio furnaces as well, but still hard. However the sandbox mode that I just discovered may give me hope to be able to do this kind of stuff in game. I know it's a roadblock to progressing further in the game, I'd love to run some trains and build robots.

Most times I give up when games are this hard for me, but for some reason Factorio represents a challenge I feel I need to overcome.

Yeah, belts are the most fundamental thing to master. Once you have those skills, making more complex designs is easy. One thing I would caution about the above designs - when you're first starting out, don't go for maximum density. Give yourself a gap of 1-3 tiles between furnaces so that you can experiment and expand.